VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 01:12:12 06/11/08 Wed
Author: Trina
Author Host/IP: 86.147.240.76
Subject: Re: My Quail Robert
In reply to: Rhonda 's message, "Re: My Quail Robert" on 20:17:43 06/10/08 Tue

Hi Cindy,

Robert sounds like a real sweetie. I always wanted to read the book 'That Quail Robert', it sounds really good. I nearly bought it from Ebay a few years ago. I might have to look for it again now. You could get him a buddy if you think he seems lonely, like if he crows alot, but sometimes if a Quail is used to being on his own he might not adjust very well to a friend. They could fight to begin with, but as Natasha said putting them both into a new environment at the same time can help alot as it's neither of their territory. If you do get another Quail a female may be better, males can be a little aggressive towards each other. Although saying that I have 2 lots of males paired up & they get along fine most of the time.

If you do decide to keep him alone then little things to keep him amused like Natasha said, hidey places, log arches (You can get them for rabbits & guinea pigs) things to climb onto, millet spray to peck at, a sandbath. All these things make it more interesting for them & they wont get as bored.

Paper towelling vs pine shavings. I think it's a matter of preference. When my Quails were babies they were on Paper towelling & I just kept with that for quite a while. It's easy & less messy, I just changed it every day like you & the plus point is you dispose of the poop & all the spilt food every day, & the quails can peck at the mealworms easier. The downside was that sometimes the Quails got poopy feet which had to be soaked, the fact that you have to change the paper everyday & it cost me a fortune in Paper towels. I switched to pine shavings, which also has pros & cons. The pros are less poopy toes, only needs cleaning once a week, cheaper in terms of not having to buy loads of rolls of paper towels every week etc. But some of the cons I found were the mess, they flick it into the food bowls all over the food & into the water, spilt food gravitates under the shavings so they waste alot of food because they can't peck it off the floor. Also when I give them mealworms I have to put them into a bowl now because they hide under the shavings where the Quails can't get them. It doesn't seem as much fun eating mealworms from a bowl than pecking all over the floor for them! I did help the shavings in the water problem by slightly elevating the water bowl off the floor with a piece of wood though, it seems to help a bit.

I hope this helps a bit, keep us posted about Robert!!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.