VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:31:28 02/05/08 Tue
Author: Trina
Author Host/IP: 86.137.148.209
Subject: Re: buttons with babies of other species
In reply to: skythrutrees 's message, "buttons with babies of other species" on 15:46:22 02/05/08 Tue

Most of my quails are in with finches & I've had mixed reactions to fledglings. Sometimes the buttons would peck at the baby finches leaving them tail-less or with bald heads and sometimes even bloody scalps, although they never pecked them to death. Because fledgling finches sometimes take a while before they learn to fly they can't get away from the quails. BUT most of the time the quails either ignore them or act very motherly towards them. It's really cute, the quails will be snuggled up, then I'll notice a little face peep out from underneath & there will sometimes be up to 5 young finches snuggled underneath them!! The buttons seem to want to brood the baby finches & the young fledglings seem to love being snuggled up underneath them!! I even get adult finches who cuddle up with my quails whether there are youngsters with them or not!!

I'd advise you to keep a close eye on them & see what the quails reaction is to the baby finches, 80% of the time they seem to be okay. Even when I've had a few bald heads or bums once the finches learnt to fly properly & got out of the quails way the feathers grew back fine. You could try putting in some sort of elevated platform where the fledglings can sit out of the quails way if need be, that way the parents can still get to them to feed them, young finches can be very reluctant to wean themselves & love getting fed by the parents for as long as possible!!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.