VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:08:51 02/15/08 Fri
Author: Trina
Author Host/IP: 86.143.218.91
Subject: Re: Feeding Vegetables and Fruit
In reply to: Jade 's message, "Re: Feeding Vegetables and Fruit" on 03:29:54 02/15/08 Fri

It sounds like she already trusts you a bit, most of my buttons run a mile when I try to pet them and they struggle when I hold them & fly away given half a chance lol. It will probably just take her some time to get the courage to take food from your hand, my buttons will take mealworms from my hands but it took months before they were brave enough to grab them from me! Not many quails can resist a juicy mealworm, even if it's only to feed to their girlfriend :)

As for vegetables & fruit I clip bunches of whole lettuce leaves to the side of the aviary & cages, that way they can tear off bits themselves, they love doing that! I used to give them lettuce leaves chopped up, but they found it a bit frustrating when they couldn't rip it into smaller peices. They also like little pots of water cress which they tear bits off. You can buy pots at the supermarket really cheap or grow your own from cress seeds. In the summer I sow a tray of grass seed & when the grass has grown I put the whole tray in & they love to jump in & explore & nibble at the stems of grass.(Just remember not to use plant food or pesticides on it) They also like cucumber slices to peck at. You can also stick stuff in a blender like brocolli, brussells sprouts, carrots, spinach, basically any greens really.Whizzed in a blender or grated it's easier to eat in beak sized bits :) You could try different things & see what they like, some of my quails are fussy but some of them will try anything, the only thing they never touched was citrus fruits.

One thing you should never feed them though is avacado, it's poisonous for birds.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.