VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:16:52 03/27/08 Thu
Author: JD
Author Host/IP: 150.135.28.141
Subject: Odd Behavior

I have a male bird named Boink (guess where I came up with the name) who is about a year old. He does a couple of strange things I've never seen a male bird do, and I'm wondering if it's common.

For one, at random times (more frequently after dark) he will suddenly sprawl himself out flat on the ground with his head down and wings out, and will make long, rythmic peeps. After about a minute, he stops and then continues whatever he was doing. Usually he does this when he sees me approach him or extend my hand to him. He's exceptionally tame and isn't doing this out of fear. This is something you would expect a female bird to do when ready to mate, however this guy is a rooster for a fact. He has a sister who lives with another owner that does the exact same thing.

Another (not concerning, but cute) thing he will do is when he hasn't eaten for a little while, and then finds food, he'll pick up one piece and hold it in his beak for a while, making a subtle, almost click-like peeping sound. The whole time, he stares at me and if I approach him he'll turn sideways to look up at me and extend one leg out in order to keep himself tilted sideways. Other times he'll find something on the floor like a dropped piece of popcorn or a cheerio, bring it over to me, and then do this as if he's presenting it like a gift. It's pretty funny, actually.

Has anybody else ever seen a male button quail do this?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.