VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:14:45 03/27/08 Thu
Author: Trina
Author Host/IP: 86.144.189.9
Subject: Re: how maby quails
In reply to: Ursula 's message, "Re: how maby quails" on 11:24:04 03/15/08 Sat

That sounds like a good idea Ursula, I considered doing something similar last year when I had a few ultra broody hens, like a wooden frame covered with wire to keep the babies & mother separate but still in the aviary. I reckon you'd have to keep the young quails apart from the others until they were about 6 weeks old or thereabouts, as they might be picked on by the established group, but that may not be as much of an issue as the others will have already seen them & be used to them, although they may fight a bit if they're viewed as intruders. You might want to have a brooder ready to begin with just in case the mother doesn't keep them warm enough, some mothers lose interest & fail to brood their young sufficiently & sometimes you have no choice but to transfer them to a brooder until they get enough feathers to keep warm. Depending on where you live of course, it might be best to wait until the weather is warmer, a chilly night could easily kill very young chicks if they aren't tucked far enough under Mummy quail. Let us know if you decide to go ahead with it, it's a great idea & I'm curious to know how you'd get on, I'd love to let some of my hens sit some day, I feel so bad for them when I go in & take away their precious eggs every day : (

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.