VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:54:26 05/07/08 Wed
Author: Ursula
Author Host/IP: 165.109.1.240
Subject: Re: Update after a year & Question about cage
In reply to: Rose 's message, "Update after a year & Question about cage" on 18:41:57 05/06/08 Tue

Hi Rose,

I have my quail (with other birds) in a big walk-in aviary that has lots of life plants. The quail love to hop into the lower planters and scratch the dirt and maybe nibble on some stuff. There are lots of plants that are safe for birds, you can find lists on several web pages. Just google "safe plants for birds" and you get a lot of hits.
I noticed that they love ferns, but they don't last long and get eaten or they dig them out. What lasts longer are some of these mini palms that you can get at any nursery or home depot. They look pretty too.
Since they might eat the dirt in the planters, the only other thing that you should be aware of is to use pottingsoil that is not fertilized and doesn't have these tiny styrofoam pieces in it. I use normal top-soil. The fertilizer is of course not good for them, and the styrofoam neither.
Another thing I do once in a while is put some wood shavings (which I use as floor cover) in a dish, some finch seed on top, and water it. It grows like pet grass but is much cheaper, and the quails love it. It doesn't last long either but they can nibble on it for a few days.

Hope that helps.

Have fun with your guys! :-)
Ursula

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.