VoyForums

Tuesday, September 02, 04:33:21amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

MOBY-FREE ZONE!!! MOBY-FREE ZONE!!! MOBY-FREE ZONE!!!!
Be forewarned that the book discussions encompass Diana's PUBLISHED BOOKS!
If you have not yet read the first 7 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, 2 September 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 18:49:43 09/01/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 10, The Oath-Taking. Copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

"Turning, Colum picked up a silver quaich from its place on the tartan covered table behind him. He lifted the heavy eared cup with both hands, drank from it, and offered it to Dougal. Dougal took a healthy swallow and handed back the cup. Then, with a final bow to the laird of the clan MacKenzie, he stepped to one side, to make room for the next man in line.

This same process was repeated over and over, from vow to ceremonial drink. Viewing the number of men in the line, I was impressed anew at Colum's capacity. I was trying to work out how many pints of spirit he would have consumed by the end of the evening, given one swallow per oath-taker, when I saw Jamie approach the head of the line."

Last edited by author: Mon September 01, 2014 18:50:00   Edited 1 time.

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

• Just a shout-out to all those who put in time and effort on QOTD! -- Judie, 10:53:46 09/01/14 Mon
    Thank you!

And I added this mention at the top of the board:

"Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)"

So, anyone lurking, please don't be shy - give the ladies a little love back with your comments. :)

Thanks!

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, 1 September 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 20:02:17 08/31/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 9, The Gathering. Copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

"She shook her head. 'Ye should take care, my dearie, walking alone in the woods, wi' all the tinkers and folk coming for the Gathering. Column's given orders-' She stopped abruptly, hand over her mouth.

'That I'm to be watched?' I suggested gently. She nodded reluctantly, clearly afraid that I would be offended. I shrugged and tried to smile reassuringly at her.

'Well, that's natural, I suppose,' I said. 'After all, he's no one's word but my own for who I am or how I came to be here.' Curiosity overcame my better judgement. 'Who does he think I am?' I asked. But the girl could only shake her head.

'You're English,' was all she said."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 31, 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 07:16:56 08/31/14 Sun
    So there may have been a slight quoting glitch with the line-up, but that's ok. I'll just bump mine up a week early and hopefully we can find someone to do next week, or you'll be stuck with me for two, or something like that. I'll let Judie figure that one out. (Hi, Judie!)

Thanks, kgp for the wake-up quote this morning, and a lovely week last week!

The following is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 9, The Gathering. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

"I kept a close eye on the comings and goings, and made a point of paying frequent visits to stable and paddock. There were horses in plenty, now, those of the visitors being accomodated in the castle stables. Among the confusion and disturbance of the Gathering, I thought, I should have no difficulty in finding my chance to escape."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 31, 2014? -- kgp, 05:45:25 08/31/14 Sun
    On the assignment list there is no Week of August 31. And no one listed until Week of September 7 which is our lovely Lady Stormwing.

So - random quote to tide us over a bit.

The following quotation is from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13, Beans and Barbecue. Copyright 2001. All Rights Reserved.

“Privacy quite aside, it wasn’t a sin at all,” I said primly. “We’re married, for goodness’ sake!”

“Well, I did confess to telling lies, Sassenach,” he said. I couldn’t see the smile on his face, but I could hear it well enough in his voice. I supposed he could hear mine, too.

“I had to think of a sin frightful enough to drive Lillywhite away – and I couldna confess to theft or buggery; I may have to do business with the man one day.”

“Oh, so you think he’d be put off by sodomy, but he’d consider your attitude toward women in wet chemises just a minor flaw of character?”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, August 30, 2014 -- kgp, 03:43:23 08/30/14 Sat
    The following quotation is from Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon, Copyright 2007. Chapter 7 Penance

“An act of penance.

He felt the words drop into place in his mind, like the tumblers of a lock. Recalled his sense of the Dunsanys, that some deep uneasiness tinged their grief.

“Oh, Geneva,” he said softly.

He saw again that vision of her at his window, pale-faced, wide-eyed, adrift in the night. So cold, and all alone. The outline of the stable behind her. From somewhere in the house, he thought he heard the creak of footsteps, and a far-off infant’s cry.

“Oh, my dear. What have you done?”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 29, 2014 -- kgp, 18:04:29 08/28/14 Thu
    The following quotation is from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Copyright 1991. Chapter 9, The Gathering. All rights reserved.

“They say young Hamish is not his father’s son,” she said at one point, referring to Colum’s only child, the red-haired lad of eight or so whom I had seen at dinner in the Hall.

I was not particularly startled by this bit of gossip, having formed my own conclusions on the matter. I was only surprised that there was but one child of questionable parentage, surmising that Letitia had been either lucky, or smart enough to seek out someone like Geilie in time. Unwisely, I said as much to Geilie.

She flung back her long fair hair and laughed, “No, not me. The fair Letitia does not need any help in such matters, believe me. If people are seeking a witch in this neighborhood, they’d do better to look in the castle than the village.”

Anxious to change the subject to something safer, I seized on the first thing that came to mind.

“If young Hamish isn’t Colum’s son, whose is he supposed to be?” I asked, scrambling over a heap of boulders.

“Why, the lad’s, of course.” She turned to face me, small mouth mocking and green eyes bright with mischief. “Young Jamie.”

Last edited by author: Fri August 29, 2014 07:40:13   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, August 28, 2014 -- kgp, 17:46:08 08/27/14 Wed
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, copyright 2005. Chapter 82, Not the End of the World. All rights reserved

“Ian,” I said, with as much firmness as I could muster, “Malva’s child could not possibly be Jamie’s. You do believe that, don’t you?”

He nodded, very slowly, but wouldn’t meet my eyes.

“I do,” he said softly, and then swallowed hard. “But, Auntie . . . it could be mine.”

A bee had lighted on my arm. I stared at it, seeing the veins in its glassy wings, the dust of yellow pollen that clung to the miniscule hairs of its legs and abdomen, the gentle pulsing of its body as it breathed.

“Oh, Ian,” I said as softly as he’d spoken himself. “Oh, Ian.”

He was strung tight as a marionette, but when I spoke, a little of the tension left the arm under my hand, and I saw that he had closed his eyes.

“I’m sorry, Auntie,” he whispered.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, August 27, 2014 -- kgp, 17:24:01 08/26/14 Tue
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, copyright 2005. Chapter 73, Double-Dealing. All rights reserved

“Which Beardsley was it?” he asked, with relative patience. “Jo? Or Kezzie”

Mr. Wemyss heaved a sigh that came from the bottoms of his feet.

“She doesn’t know,” he said flatly.

“Christ,” said Jamie involuntarily. He reached for the whisky again, and drank heavily.

“Ahem,” I said, giving him a meaningful look as he lowered the jug. He surrendered it to me without comment, and straightened himself on his boulder, shirt plastered against his chest by the wind, his hair whipped loose behind him.

“Well, then,” he said firmly. “We’ll have the two of them in, and find out the truth of it.”

“No,” said Mr. Wemyss, “we won’t. They don’t know either.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, August 26, 2014 -- kgp, 18:27:54 08/25/14 Mon
    The following quotation is from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Copyright 1997. Chapter 45 Fifty-Fifty. All rights reserved

“Brianna took a deep breath, and her fist closed tight on the leaf in her hand, crushing it.

“Well, see, there’s a problem about that,” she said. She looked up at me, and suddenly she was my little girl again. “It isn’t Roger’s.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, August 25, 2014 -- kgp, 17:27:01 08/24/14 Sun
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. Chapter 47. Loose Ends. All Rights Reserved.

“Roger felt a strong desire to ease behind the door before she noticed his presence and turned that molten wrath on him. But beyond his own discomfort he was conscious of a growing awe. The girl that stood on the hearth-rug, hissing and spitting in defense of her paternity, flamed with the wild strength that brought the Highland warriors down on their enemies like shrieking banshees. Her long, straight nose lengthened further by the shadows, eyes slitted like a snarling cat’s, she was the image of her father – and her father was patently not the dark, quiet scholar whose photo adorned the jacket of the book on the table.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 24, 2014 -- kgp, 04:39:27 08/24/14 Sun
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. Chapter 13 Deception. All Rights Reserved.

“Yes,” I said. “But . . . “ I hesitated, then cast caution to the winds. “Is there any chance jules might be convinced the child is his?” I ask bluntly.

She looked blank for a moment, and I wanted to shake her.

“I don’t see how, unless – oh!” Light dawned, and she looked at me, horrified.

“Sleep with Jules, you mean? But Charles would be furious!”

“Charles,” I said through my teeth, “is not pregnant!”

Last edited by author: Sun August 24, 2014 04:39:55   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• And if it's not okay to post about Written In My Own Heart's Blood don't read any further. If it is okay, I'm in my 4/5 reread/relisten. I'm about to read about HC and the fire and not sure I can do it again. I have already cried a lot, for all tender, horrifying, and heartbreaking reasons, not the least of which was 'I resign my commission. Sir.' ----written in his own heart's blood. -- Gayle, 23:23:36 08/22/14 Fri

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, August 23. -- Lee, 22:38:11 08/22/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 40, The Fox’s Lair. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘ “If this sassenach wench brings ye naught, at lease she looks as though she costs ye little.” The slanted blue eyes, so much like Jamie’s own, ran over my travel-stained gown, taking in the unstitched hem, the burst seam, and the splashes of mud on the skirt.

I could feel a fine vibration run through Jamie, and wasn’t sure whether it was anger or laughter.

“Thanks,” I said, with a friendly smile at his lordship. “I don’t eat much either. But I could use a bit of a wash. Just water; don’t bother about the soap if it comes too dear.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday August 22, 2014 -- Lee, 04:53:42 08/22/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 28, The Coming of the Light.Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘But it was too late. I knew that, even as I fought to hold the gray shroud around me. Fighting only hastened its dissolution; it was like grasping shreds of cloud that vanished in cold mist between my fingers. I could feel the light coming, blinding and searing.

He had risen, was standing over me. His shadow fell across my knees; surely that meant the cloud had broken; a shadow doesn’t fall without light.

“Claire,” he whispered. “Please. Let me give ye comfort.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, August 21, 2014 -- Lee, 21:26:52 08/20/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 21, Untimely Resurrection. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘ He let out a startled “Whoof!” as I struck him amidships, and clutched me by the arms to keep upright as we swayed and staggered together.

“I’m sorry,” I began, breathlessly. “I thought you were—oh, Jesus H. fucking Christ!”

My initial impression—that I had encountered Alexander Randall—had lasted no more than the split second necessary to see the eyes above that finely chiseled mouth. The mouth was much like Alex’s, bar the deep lines around it. But those cold eyes could belong to only one man.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, August 20, 2014 There is still such a sense of newness and tenderness between them in this book. -- Lee, 22:11:24 08/19/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 13, Deceptions. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘ My breasts were growing fuller, and more sensitive by the day; my nipples ached and tingled sometimes under the tight binding of my gowns, wanting to be suckled.

“Will ye let me do this later?” he murmured, with a soft bite. “When the child’s come, and your breasts fill wi’ milk? Will ye feed me, too, then, next to your heart?”

I clasped his head and cradled it, fingers deep in the baby-soft hair that grew thick at the base of his skull.

“Always,” I whispered. ‘

Replies:

• I did it! Finally! I hosed my friend! -- LadyStormwing, 14:12:41 08/19/14 Tue
    For the past year and a half or so, my friend T has been asking, almost monthly, for book reccomendations. Of course, I keep telling her to pick up Outlander. "No," she says. "It's too long. I can't get into it. The names are too weird." -and a variety of other excuses.

Well, lo and behold, doesn't she go ahead and watch E101 when it premiers (without my saying anything) and doesn't she go and fall in love with our Sam. Two days later, I'm getting a call, "How do you pronounce the name of the guy that rescued Claire from that soldier? And what a bastard he is!" (Just wait, T, just you wait.) So while she's having a bit of trouble keeping the unusual names straight, I have finally made a literary conquest.

I'll introduce her to the boards once she's at least as far as Echo!

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, August 19, 2014 -- Lee, 23:02:06 08/18/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 15, In Which Music Plays a Part. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘ Jamie hooked one foot over the other, like one prepared to pass the time of day indefinitely. The multicolored light from the window washed his face with blue, making him look like one of the chilly marble statues in the cathedral next door.

“Surely you’ve better things to do than harry innocent visitors?” he asked, conversationally. “I’ve heard of you – you’re the famous fellow that sniffs out sickness, no? Weel, then, why are they wastin’ ye on silly things like door-guarding, when ye might be makin’ yourself useful smelling gouty toes and pustulant arseholes? Answer me that, if ye will!”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday August 18, 2014. I am quoting small bits of Dragonfly in Amber this week - not the defining moments that we all know so well. I find that I like small bits of dialog or description that surround the bigger moments. :) -- Lee, 21:33:21 08/17/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 5, Beloved Wife. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘ I was not sure, even now, what I had done, when I had summoned his demons and fought them single-handed, in the dark of his mind; there is very little difference between medicine and magic, when it comes to some kind of healing.

I could still feel the cold, hard stone that bruised me, and the strength of the fury that I had drawn from him, the hands that closed round my neck and the burning creature who had hunted me through the dark.

“But I did heal him,” I said softly. “He came back to me.” ‘

Replies:

• September quoters needed! -- Judie, 10:11:14 08/17/14 Sun
    That's all. :)

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday August 17, 2014. -- Lee, 20:46:43 08/16/14 Sat
    In celebration of the newly announced second season of the Starz Outlander series, I'm giving you some random DIA quotes this week. :)

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 5, Beloved Wife. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘ “Well, the fact is, that I walked through a bloody cleft stone in that circle in 1945, and I ended up on the hillside below in 1743.”

I’d said exactly that to Frank. He’d glared at me for a moment, picked up a vase of flowers from my bedside table, and smashed it on the floor.

Roger looked like a scientist whose new microbe has come through a winner.’

Last edited by author: Sat August 16, 2014 20:55:57   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, August 16, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 21:18:46 08/15/14 Fri
    There are so many scenes I hope to see in the TV series. Thank goodness they have more time than I do. And we can all celebrate today. There will be a second season based on Dragonfly.

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 25, Thou Shalt Not Suffer a Witch to Live, Copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights reserved.

I turned toward the split rock and took a step, then another, and another. Pausing, I faced around tried it in the other direction. A step, then another, and before I even knew i had decided, I was halfway down the slope, scrabbling wildly at grass chomps, slipping and falling through the patches of granite scree.

When I reached the cottage, breathless with fear lest he had left already, I was reassured to see Donas hobbled and grazing nearby. The horse raised his head and eyed me unpleasantly. Walking softly, I pushed the door open.

He was in the front room, asleep on the narrow oak settle.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 15, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 21:02:29 08/14/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 25, Thou Shalt Not Suffer a Witch to Live, copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Do you know when I was born?" I asked, looking up. I knew my hair was wild and my eyes staring, and i didn't care. "On the twentieth of October, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighteen. Do you hear me?" I demanded, for he was blinking at me unmoving, as though paying no attention to a word i said. "I said nineteen eighteen! Nearly two hundred years from now! Do you hear?"

I was shouting now, and he nodded slowly.

"I hear," he said softly.

"Yes, you hear!" I blazed. "And you think I'm raving mad. Don't you? Admit it!

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, August 14, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 20:50:18 08/13/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21, Un Mauvais Quart d'Heure After Another, copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"What's the mater wi' me? I'll tell ye what the matter is, since ye want to know!" he said through clenched teeth. "I'm tired of having to prove over and over that you're no an English spy. I'm tired of having to watch ye every minute, for fear of what foolishness you'll try next. And I'm verra tired of people trying to make me watch while they rape you! I dinna enjoy it a bit!"

"And you think I enjoy it?" I yelled. "Are you trying to make out it's my fault?!" At this, he did shake me slightly.

"It is your fault!

Replies:

• QOTD for August 14, 2014 -- Lady Beyh, 22:16:42 08/12/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabladon, Chapter 21, Un Mauvais Quart d'Heure After Another, copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"I'll thank ye," said a cool, level voice, "to take your hands off my wife." Randall froze with a hand still on my breast. Jamie was crouched in the window frame, a large, brass-handled pistol braced across one forearm.

Randall stood frozen for a second, as though unable to believe his ears. As his head turned slowly toward the window, his right hand, shielded from Jamie's view, left my breast, sliding stealthily toward the knife, which he had laid on the desk next to my head.

"What did you say?" he said incredulously.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, August 12, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 20:07:34 08/11/14 Mon
    This quote is a day early but that is just where it landed in my chronology. I am sure you ladies won't mind.

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter15, Revelations of the Bridal Chamber, copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Suddenly he lifted me in his arms and sat down on the bed, holding me on his lap. He spoke a little hoarsely.

"Tell me if I'm too rough, or tell me to stop altogether, if ye wish. Anytime until we are joined; I dinna think I can stop after that."

In answer, I put my hands behind his neck and pulled him down on top of me. I guided him to the slippery cleft between my legs.

"Holy God," said James Fraser, who never took the name of his Lord in vain.

"Don't stop now," I said.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, August 11, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 19:54:48 08/10/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 5, The MacKenzie copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I found what I supposed I had been looking for in the central drawer. A half-finished letter, written in a flowing hand rendered no more legible by the eccentric spelling and total lack of punctuation. The paper was fresh and clean, and the ink crisply black. Legible or not, the date at the top of the page sprang out at me as though written in letters of fire: 20 April, 1743

Replies:

• new to LOL but not to the books -- Nancy, 19:36:11 08/10/14 Sun
    Just wanted to say that I love the books and loved the pilot episode. The cinematography was beautiful. MOBY was wonderful. If DG finished the series today, I would be happy with that ending. :-D

Replies:

• QOTD for August 10, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 22:11:52 08/09/14 Sat
    I am sure everyone watched the first episode tonight. I thought it was great. My theme this week is the scenes I would most like to see.

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 2, Standing Stones, copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The truth is that nothing moved, nothing changed, nothing whatever appeared to happen and yet I experienced a feeling of elemental terror so great that I lost all sense of who, or what, or where I was. I was in the heart of chaos, and the power of the mind or body was of use against it.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, August 9, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:35:37 08/08/14 Fri
    TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT...OUTLANDER ON STARZ!

I actually watched the sneak peek last Saturday and have watched the episode about 5x since then.
    The music is beautiful and the scenes with Sam and Cait sizzle from the get go.
    ENJOY EVERYONE. TULACH ARD!

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 41, From The Womb Of The Earth. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He drew me close, until the sensitive tips of my breasts rubbed across his chest. The water was not only warm but heavy, almost oily to the touch, and his hands floated down my back to cup my buttocks and lift me.

The intrusion was startling. Hot and slippery as our skins were, we drifted over each other with barely a sensation of touching or pressure, but his presence within me was solid and intimate, a fixed point in a watery world, like an umbilical cord in the random driftings of the womb. I made a brief sound of surprise at the small inrush of hot water that accompanied his entrance, then settled firmly onto my fixed point of reference with a little sigh of pleasure.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 8, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:21:50 08/07/14 Thu
    WAITING FOR OUTLANDER - 2 MORE SLEEPS TO GO!

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 35, Wentworth Prison. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He positioned the point with care and brought the mallet down, driving the nail through Jamie’s right hand into the table with four solid blows. The broken fingers twitched and sprang straight, like the legs of a spider pinned to a collection board.

Jamie groaned, his eyes wide and blank with shock. Randall set the mallet down with care. He took Jamie’s chin in his hand and turned his face up. “Now kiss me,” he said softly, and lowered his head to Jamie’s unresisting mouth.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, August 7, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:25:01 08/06/14 Wed
    WAITING FOR OUTLANDER ON STARZ - DAY 5

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 23 Return to Leoch. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He spread my thighs with his knee and sheathed himself to the root in a single thrust that made me gasp. He made a sound that was almost a groan, and gripped me tighter.

“You’re mine, mo duinne,” he said softly, pressing himself into my depths. “Mine alone, now and forever. Mine, whether ye will it or no.” I pulled against his grip, and sucked in my breath with a faint “ah” as he pressed even deeper.

“Aye, I mean to use ye hard, my Sassenach,” he whispered. “I want to own you, to possess you, body and soul.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, August 6, 2014 -- CarolSR, 04:24:04 08/06/14 Wed

WAITING FOR OUTLANDER ON STARZ DAY 4

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 23 Return to Leoch. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He held me hard against him then, without speaking, and I could feel the pulsebeat in his throat, hammering like my own. His hands went to my bare shoulders, and he held me slightly away, so that I was looking upward into his face. His hands were large and very warm, and I felt slightly dizzy.

“I want ye, Claire,” he said, sounding choked. He paused a moment, as though unsure what to say next. “I want ye so much-I can scarcely breathe. Will-“ He swallowed, then cleared his throat. “Will ye have me?”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, August 5, 2014 -- CarolSR, 17:01:44 08/04/14 Mon
    WAITING FOR OUTLANDER STARZ DAY 3

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21 Une Mauvais Quart D’Heure After Another. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Do ye know where I got the gun I used?” I shook my head numbly, my own anger beginning to fade. “I killed a guard near the wall. He fired at me; that’s why it was empty. He missed and I killed him wi’ my dirk; left it sticking in his wishbone when I heard you cry out. I would have killed a dozen men to get to you, Claire.” His voice cracked.

“And when ye screamed, I went to you, armed wi’ nothing but an empty gun and my two hands.” Jamie was speaking a little more calmly now, but his eyes were still wild with pain and rage.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, August 4, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:32:14 08/03/14 Sun
    OUTLANDER QUOTES - DAY 2

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 20 Deserted Glades. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Take care, Sassenach. You’ve your dirk? Good. I shall come back as soon as I can. Oh, one more thing.”

“What’s that?” I said sullenly.

“If you leave that copse before I come for ye, I’ll tan your bare arse wi’ my sword belt. Ye wouldna enjoy walking all the way to Bargrennan. Remember, “he said, pinching my cheek gently, “ I dinna make idle threats.” He didn’t, either. I rode slowly toward the grove, looking back to watch him racing away, bent low over the saddle, one with the horse, the ends of his plaid flying behind.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 3, 2014 -- CarolSR, 17:37:02 08/02/14 Sat
    As we savor the sneak peak from the Outlander Series on Starz and await the series kickoff, I thought we'd flashback to some Outlander scenes this week.

Say Hello to Dougal...

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 10, The Oath-Taking. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“His tongue flicked against mine, the taste of whisky sharp in my mouth. His hands gripped me firmly by the bottom and pressed me against him, making me feel the rigid hardness under his kilt through my layers of skirts and petticoats.

He released me as suddenly as he had seized me. He nodded and gestured down the hall, breathing a little unsteadily. A lock of russet hair hung loose over his forehead and he brushed it back with one hand.

“Get ye gone, lassie,” he said. “Before ye pay a greater price.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, August 2, 2014 -- Helka, 22:24:23 08/01/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone, by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 101, Redivivus. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Who are you?" he said hoarsely, wheeling on Jamie.
       I saw Jamie draw himself slowly upright, ignoring the noice below.
       "James Fraser" he said. His eyes were fixed on William with a burning intensity,
    as though to absorb every vestige of a sight he would not see again.
    "Ye kent me once as Alex MacKenzie. At Helwater."

William blinked, blinked again, and his gaze turned momentarily to John.
       "And who–who the bloody hell am I?" he demanded, the question rising in a squeak.

John opened his mouth, but it was Jamie that answered.
       "You are a stinking Papist," he said, very precisely, "and your baptismal name is James."

Thank you all for reading and commenting this week's quotes.

I took this theme as I had the chance to watch my son and my DH work together a couple of times this summer.
    DS lives on his own so this has been a rare treat for me. They've such similar physique and the quiet way they talk & work their way through a task is wonderful to follow.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 1, 2014 -- Helka, 23:43:49 07/31/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone, by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 66, Deathbed. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

". . . reber whoreson that shot it off my head," said a voice.
    It was an English voice, young, hoarse with suppressed grief, and tinged with anger.

Other than that–it was Jamie's voice, and Jamie's hand tightened so abruptly on mine that he nearly crushed my fingers.

We were at the trailhead that led upward from the river;
    two more steps would see us safely into the shelter of the fog-veiled trees.
    Instead of taking those two steps, Jamie stopped dead for the space of a heartbeat,
    then dropped my hand, turned on his heel, and, taking the hat off his head,
    strode over and thrust it into Lieutenant Ransom's hands.

"I believe I owe ye a hat, sir" he said politely, and turned away at once,
    leaving the young man blinking at the battered tricorne in his hands.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 31, 2014 -- Helka, 23:59:32 07/30/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 27, Trout Fishing in America. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Cack-handed?" Willie's mouth curled up again.

"I find my left hand more convenient to most purposes than the right hand, my lord."

"That's what I thought you meant. I'm the same."
    Willie looked at once rather pleased and mildly shamefaced at this statement.
       "My–my mother said it wasn't proper, and that I must learn to use the other, s a gentleman ought.
    But Papa said no, and made them let me write with my left hand.
    He said it didn't matter so much if I should look awkward with a quill; when it came to fighting with a sword, I should be at an advantage."

Replies:

• Jamie's hair -- Gwen, 15:58:35 07/30/14 Wed
    A couple of us UK hosers were discussing the length of Jamie's hair in the trailer 'The worst part'. Some of us thought he always had long hair but then it was suggested that it was short at the beginning of the books as he'd had it shaved in France due to his injury. As I have lent out my Cross Stitch I can't check. Does anyone remember?

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 30, 2014 -- Helka, 23:44:58 07/29/14 Tue

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 14, Geneva. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

It isna love you feel now." He hoped he was right, for his sake as well as her own.
    It's only the feeling I've roused in your body. It's strong, and it's good, but it isna the same thing as love."

"What is the difference?"

He rubbed his hands hard over his face, She would be a philosopher, he thought wryly.
    He took a deep breath and blew it out before answering her.

"Well, love's for only one person. This, what you feel from me–ye can have that with any man. It's not particular."

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, July 29, 2014 -- Helka, 23:14:53 07/28/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 16, Willie. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Willie knew how an earl should behave; he was making a masterful effort to subdue his tears,
    sniffling ferociously and swiping at his face with a sleeve.
         "Allow me, my lord." Jamie did kneel then, and wiped the little boy's face with his own coarse handkerchief.
    Willie's eyes looked at him over the cotton folds, red-rimmed and woeful.
         "Have you really got to go, Mac?" he asked, in a very small voice.
         "Aye, I have." He looked into the dark blue eyes, so heartbreakingly like his own,
    and suddenly didn't give a damn what was right or who saw.
    He pulled the boy roughly to him, hugging him tight against his heart,
    holding the boy's face close to his shoulder, that Willie might not see the quick tears that fell into his thick, soft hair.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, July 28, 2014 -- Helka, 23:03:01 07/27/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 5,Why Am Not I At Peace. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"MOMOMOMOMO . . ."

Jamie put a hand over the child's mouth, stilling the racket momentarily.

"We'll go and speak to the horses, aye?" he said firmly,
    and hoisted the child up onto his shoulders before Willie could make up his mind to shriek some more.
    Diverted by this splendid new perch, Willie crowed and grabbed Jamie's hair.
    Not waiting to hear any objections, Jamie took hold of the chubby knees wrapped round his ears and headed for the stable.

Replies:

• QOTD for SUNDAY, July 27, 2014 -- Helka, 22:36:43 07/26/14 Sat

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 15, By Misadventure. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He stood then rooted on the hearthrug,
    heedless of the fire scorching the backs of his legs;
    of the stll heaving body of Ellesmere at his feet;
    of the regular, hysterical shrieks of Lady Dunsany, piercing as peacock's.
    He stood, eyes tight closed, shaking like a leaf,
    unable either to move or to think,
    arms wrapped tight about the shapeless, squirming, squawking bundle that contained his son.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, July, 26, 2014 -- LisaW, 23:20:08 07/25/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 3 "The Man in the Wood". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana
    "The men's attention had
    shifted to a young man crouched on a stool in the corner. He had barely looked
    up through my appearance and interrogation, but kept his head bent, hand
    clutching the opposite shoulder, rocking slightly back and forth in pain.
       Dougal gently pushed the clutching hand away. One of the men pulled
    back the young man's plaid, revealing a dirt-smeared linen shirt blotched with
    blood. A small man with a thick mustache came up behind the lad with a single-
    bladed knife, and holding the shirt at the collar, slit it across the breast and
    down the sleeve, so that it fell away from the shoulder.
       I gasped, as did several of the men. "

Well, it is Saturday once again. The Outlander premier was at Comic Con last night and now we all await the August 9th date. First and Lasts was my theme this week. Diana was beautiful as always at the premier. She is as gracious to the media as she is to all of us, and I Thank her for her graciousness.

Last edited by author: Fri July 25, 2014 23:24:15   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, July 25, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:16:19 07/24/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 46 "Timor Mortis Conturbat Me". Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

"His head was pillowed on Jamie's thigh. One heave brought his face into
    view. It was contorted, and dark red, eyes gone to slits. His mouth moved
    continuously, saying something, talking with great force--but without sound,
    save the bubbling rasp from his ruined throat.
       Jamie's face was ashen; apparently he could tell what Dougal was saying
    He struggled violently, trying to hold the thrashing body still. There was a final
    spasm, then a dreadful rattling sound, and Dougal MacKenzie lay still, Jamie's
    hands clenched tight upon his shoulders, as though to prevent his rising again. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 24, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:37:53 07/23/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 16 "The First Law of Thermodynamics". Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

"Jamie leaned his back against a sycamore, eyelids half lowered
    against the dazzle of afternoon sun. The little clearing held light
    like a cup, still and limpid.
       "What d'ye think of this place, Sassenach?" he asked.
       "I think it's beautiful. Don't you?"
       He nodded, looking down between the trees, where a gentle
    slope full of wild hay and timothy fell away and rose again in a
    line of willows that fringed the distant river.
       "I am thinking," Jamie said, a little awkwardly. "There is the
    spring here in the wood. That meadow below--" "

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 23, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:05:20 07/22/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 19 "To Lay a Ghost". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" I touched him briefly. His flesh had the inert, plastic feel of the recently dead,
    so at odds with the lifelike appearance. There was no wound visible; any damage
    was hidden beneath the blanket that covered him. His throat was smooth and
    brown; no pulse moved in its hollow.
       I stood there, my hand on the motionless curve of his chest, looking at him, as I
    had not looked for some time. A strong and delicate profile, sensitive lips, and a
    chiseled nose and jaw. A handsome man, despite the lines that cut deep beside
    his mouth, lines of disappointment and unspoken anger, lines that even the
    relaxation of death could not wipe away. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, July 22, 2014 -- LisaW, 20:15:27 07/21/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1 "A New Beginning". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana
    Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "One thing," he said, in awful tones. "You are not to play dolls with my
    Persian grave figurines. Anything else, but not that. Got it?"
       I had nodded, content. And had gone with him to the Middle East, to
    South America, to dozens of study sites throughout the world. Had learned to
    read and write from the drafts of journal articles, to dig latrines and boil water,
    and to do a number of other things not suitable for a young lady of gentle birth
    --until I had met the handsome, dark-haired historian who came to consult
    Uncle Lamb on a point of French philosophy as it related to Egyptian religious
    practice. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, July 21,2014 -- LisaW, 22:01:46 07/20/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 41, "From the Womb of the Earth". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana

"The moon above was a Christmas moon, so large as almost to fill the empty
    window. It seemed no wonder that the tides of sea and woman should be
    subject to the pull of that stately orb, so close and so commanding.
       But my own tides moved no longer to that chaste and sterile summons, and
    the knowledge of my freedom raced like danger through my blood.
       "I have a gift for you too," I said suddenly to Jamie. He turned toward me
    and his hand slid, large and sure, over the plane of my still-flat stomach.
       "Have you, now?" he said.
       And the world was all around us, new with possibility. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, July 20, 2014 -- LisaW, 19:00:53 07/19/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1, "A New Beginning". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana

"It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance. Mrs.
    Baird's was like a thousand other Highland bed-and-breakfast establishments
    in 1945; clean and quiet, with fading floral wallpaper, gleaming floors, and a
    coin-operated hot-water geyser in the lavatory. Mrs. Baird herself was squat and
    easy-going, and made no objection to Frank lining her tiny rose-sprigged parlor
    with the dozens of books and papers with which he always traveled.
       I met Mrs. Baird in the front hall on my way out. She stopped me with a
    pudgy hand on my arm and patted at my hair.
       "Dear me, Mrs. Randall, ye canna go out like that! Here, just let me tuck
    that bit in for ye. There! That's better. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, July 19, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:15:28 07/18/14 Fri
    The following quote is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 103, "The Hour of the Wolf." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'That dog is a wolf, is he not?'
    'Aye, well, mostly.'
    A small flash of hazel told hom not to quibble.
    'And yet he is thy boon companion, a creature of rare courage and affection, and altogether a worthy being?'
    'Oh, aye,' he said with more confidence. 'He is.'
    She gave him an even look.
    'Thee is a wolf, too, and I know it. But thee is my wolf, and best thee know that.'
    He'd started to burn when she spoke, an ignition swift and fierce as the lighting of one of his cousin's matches. He put out his hand, palm forward, to her, still cautious lest she, too, burst into flames.
    'What I said to ye, before ,,, that I kent ye loved me--'
    She stepped forward and pressed her palm to his, her small, cool fingers linking tight.
    'What I say to thee now is that I do love thee. And if thee hunts at night, thee will come home.'
    Under the sycamore, the dog yawned and laid his muzzle on his paws. 'And sleep at thy feet,' Ian whispered, and gathered her in with his one good arm, both of them blazing bright as day."

I know this is a bit longer than we're supposed to use for QOTD, but I think this is one of the best declarations of love I have ever read.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, July 18, 2014 -- CindyG, 20:48:27 07/17/14 Thu
    The following quote is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 86, "Valley Forge." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'Thee is thinking of Ian Murray again,' her brother observed, not looking up from his paper. He sounded resigned.

'I thought thee abjured witchcraft,' she said tartly. 'Or does thee not include mind reading among the arts of divination?'

'I notice thee does not deny it.' He looked up then, pushing his spectacles up his nose with a finger, the better to look through them at her.

'No, I don't deny it,' she said, lifting her chin at him. 'How did thee know, then?'

'Thee looked at the dog and sighed in a manner betokening an emotion not usually shared between a woman and a dog.'

'Hmph!' she said, disconcerted. 'Well, what if I do think of him? Is that not my business, either? To wonder how he does, what his family in Scotland makes of him? Whether he feels he has come home there?'

'Whether he will come back?' Denny took off his spectacles and rubbed a hand over his face. He was tired; she could see the day in his features.

'He will come back,' she said evenly. 'He would not abandon his dog.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 17, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:15:25 07/16/14 Wed
    The following quote is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 67, "Greasier Than Grease." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"She was walking toward the Frasers' camp as though drawn by a magnet, and the magnet's name was Ian Murray. She saw this clearly, thought her own behavior insane--and could no more do otherwise than she could change the color of her eyes.

What she meant to do, say, or even think if she did see him was unimaginable, but she walked on nonetheless, steady as though she went to market, the light of her torch a beacon upon the trampled dirt of her path, her own shadow following, huge and strange upon the pale canvas of the tents she passed."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 16, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:44:11 07/15/14 Tue
    The following quote is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 67, "Greasier Than Grease." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'Ian Murray?' he asked bluntly.

'How did thee know that?' Her hands were trembling, and she wiped them irritably on her apron.

'I met his dog just now.' He eyed her with interest. 'What did he say to thee?'

'I--nothing.'

Denny cocked one brow in disbelief, and she relented.

'Not much. He said--I was in love with him.'

'Is thee?' Denny asked, sounding not at all surprised.

'How can I be in love with such a man?'

'If thee were not, I do not suppose thee would be asking me to pray for thee,' he pointed out logically."

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, July 15, 2014 -- CindyG, 07:47:42 07/15/14 Tue

"'Oh, Lord,' she said, and put a hand over her mouth, afraid that if she laughed, it would erupt into hysterics. The dog looked up at her, his eyes yellow in the candlelight. He licked his lips, long tail waving gently.

'What am I to do?' she asked him. 'Well enough for thee; thee can chase about after him all day, and share his bed at night, and not a word said.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, July 14, 2014 -- CindyG, 20:42:03 07/13/14 Sun
    The following quote is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 63, "Separated Forever From My Friends And Kin." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"She was nut brown, Ian saw; Rachel Hunter, tanned by the sun to the exact soft shade of a hickory nut, what showed of her hair beneath her kerchief the shade of walnut hulls, and he smiled at the thought. She saw him and narrowed her eyes.

'Well, and if thee is able to grin like an ape, thee is not much hurt.'"

Replies:

• Yikes! No one lined up for QOTD next week or for many weeks in the future! -- Judie, 08:31:53 07/13/14 Sun
    Any takers? :)

Contact me with the weeks you CANNOT do and I'll schedule you for a week. :)

Click the "contact forum admin" link above. :)

I think QOTD has been going since about 1998, perhaps even before, and we've never missed a week. :)

Thanks, gang.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, July 13, 2014 -- CindyG, 20:39:22 07/12/14 Sat
    In Echo we met a number of new characters, some of whom are very important. My thanks to kgp for the last week's quotes, they provided a perfect lead-in to my week of Rachel.

The following quote is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 38, "Plain Speech." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"He wished to continue the conversation--she seldom lingered when she fed him, having much other work to do--and so lifted his newly shorn chin and gestured at the brooch she wore.

'That's pretty,' he said. 'Not too worldly?'

'No,' she said tartly, putting a hand to the brooch. 'It's made of my mother's hair. She died when I was born.'

'Ah. I'm sorry,' he said, and with a moment's hesitation added, 'So did mine.'

She stopped then and looked at him, and for a moment, he saw a flicker of something in her eyes that was more than the matter-of-fact attention she would give to a cow in calf or a dog that had eaten something that disagreed with it.

'I'm sorry, too,' she said softly."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, July 12, 2014 -- kgp, 03:36:50 07/12/14 Sat
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 70. Emily. Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved.

“She had been going to the forest with some other girls, one day in late summer. They carried baskets for gathering; Wakyo’teyehsnonhsa had an ax through her belt. One of the other girls had asked her whether she meant to find wood for another bowl like the one she had made for her mother; Works With her hands had said – with a quick, warm look toward Ian, who lounged nearby with the other young men – that no, she wished to find a good red cedar, for wood to make a cradleboard.

The girls had giggled and embraced Wakyo’teyehsnonhsa; the young men had grinned and prodded Ian knowingly in the ribs. And Ian caught a glimpse of sun Elk’s face, hot eyes fixed on Emily’s straight back as she walked away.

Within one moon, Sun Elk had moved into the longhouse, husband to his wife’s sister, Looking at the Sky.

Last edited by author: Sat July 12, 2014 03:38:15   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, July 11, 2014 -- kgp, 17:59:56 07/10/14 Thu
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 22. Ensorcellment. Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved.

“It’s all right,” I said, a little amused by her caution. “You can look through it, if you like.” I pushed it toward her, and she stepped back, startled. She glanced up at me, a look of doubt wrinkling her brow, but when I smiled at her, she took a tiny, excited breath, and reached out to turn a page.

“Oh, look!” The page she’d turned to wasn’t one of mine, but one of Daniel Rawlings’s – it showed the removal of a dead child from the uterus, via the use of assorted tools of dilation and curettage. I glanced at the page, and hastily away. Rawlings hadn’t been an artist, but he had a brutal knack for rendering the reality of a situation.

Malva didn’t seem to be distressed by the drawings, though; she was bug-eyed with interest.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 10, 2014 -- kgp, 02:44:01 07/10/14 Thu
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 54. Flora MacDonald’s Barbecue. Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved.

“Ulysses met with a slightly more cordial reception. In fact, Jocasta sent for him. Peering into her room to check on her, I found him sitting by the bed, holding his mistress’s hand, with such an expression of gentleness on his usually impassive face that I was quite moved by it, and stepped quietly back into the hall, not to disturb them. He saw me though, and nodded.

They were talking in low voices, his head in its stiff white wig bending toward hers. He seemed to be arguing with her, in a most respectful fashion; she shook her head, and gave a small cry of pain, His hand tightened on hers, and I saw that he had taken off his white gloves; her hand lay long and frail, pallid in his powerful dark grasp.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 9, 2014 -- kgp, 20:24:05 07/08/14 Tue
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 21. We Have Ignition. Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved.

“When I was fourteen or so,” he said dreamily, “one of the shops in Inverness had a most daring window display – daring for the times, that is – a lady mannequin wearing nothing but underwear.”

“Mm?”

“Aye, a full-length pink girdle, garters, the lot – with matching brassiere. Everyone was shocked. Committees were got up to protest, and calls were made to all the ministers in town. Next day, they took it down, but meanwhile, the entire male population of Inverness had been past that window, taking pains to look casual about it. ‘Till this minute, I’d always thought that was the most erotic thing I’d ever seen.”

She suspended her operations for a moment, and he thought from the sense of movement that she was looking back over her shoulder at him.

“Roger,” she said thoughtfully. “I do believe you’re a pervert.”

“Yes, but one with really good night vision.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, July 8, 2014 -- kgp, 18:20:29 07/07/14 Mon
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 31. And So To Bed. Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved.

“Aye, well. It’s Tisqua, d’ye see? He meant it as hospitality, the first time, but then when Ian told him . . . well, it wasna the best thing to have said, under the circumstances, only . . . And then the next time we came, and there they were again, only a different pair, and when I tried to make them leave, they said Bird said to say that it was to honor my vow, for what good was a vow that cost nothing to keep? And I will be damned if I ken does he mean that, or is he only thinking that either I’ll crack and he’ll have the upper hand of me for good, or that I’ll get him the guns he wants to put an end to it one way or the other – or is he only having a joke at my expense? Even Ian says he canna tell which it is, and if he -”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, July 7, 2014 -- kgp, 02:49:09 07/07/14 Mon
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 17. The Limits Of Power. Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved.

“My Son-in-law astutely observes that a Man’s sense of Morality tends to decrease as his Power increases, and I suspect that the Brothers Brown possess relatively little of the Former to begin with. It may be mere Hubris on my part, to assume I have more. I have seen the corrosive Effects of Power upon a Man’s Soul – and I have felt its Burden, as you will understand, having borne it so often yourself. Still, if it is a choice between myself and Richard Brown, I suppose I must resort to the old Scottish Adage that the devil you ken is better than the devil you don’t.

I am likewise made uneasy at the Thought of the long Absences from home which my new Duties must require. And yet I cannot in Conscience allow the People under my Dominion to be subject to the Vagaries and possible Injuries of Brown’s Committee.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, July 6, 2014 -- kgp, 05:24:12 07/06/14 Sun
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 8 Victim of a Massacre. Copyright 2005 All Rights Reserved.

”Higgins, with one other, was convicted of Manslaughter, but pled Clergy and was released after his Branding. The Army of course discharged him, and without means of making a Living and subject to the Opprobrium of the Populace, he found himself in sad Case. He tells me that he was beaten in a Tavern soon after his Release, injuries inflicted therein depriving him of the Sight in one Eye, and in fact, his very Life was threatened on more than on Occasion. So seeking Safety, he took passage on a Sloop captained by my Friend, Captain Gill, working as a Sailor, though I have seen him sail and I assure you he is not one.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, July 5, 2014 -- LisaW, 01:03:11 07/05/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 10 "The Oath-taking". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana

" "Colum MacKenzie, I come to you as kinsman and as ally. I give ye no
    vow, for my oath is pledged to the name that I bear." There was a low, ominous
    growl from the crowd, but he ignored it and went on. "But I give ye freely the
    things that I have; my help and my goodwill, wherever ye should find need of
    them. I give ye my obedience, as kinsman and as laird, and I hold myself bound
    by your word, so long as my feet rest on the lands of clan MacKenzie."
       He stopped speaking and stood, tall and erect, hands relaxed at his sides.
    Ball now in Colum's court, I thought. One word from him, one sign, and
    they'd be scrubbing the young man's blood off the flags come morning. "

And so Jamie knew just what he needed to do, to be an honest man, who would protect his own people, and what it would take to protect them. A good soldier, but an even greater Laird.

• QOTD for Friday, July 4, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:24:24 07/03/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 65 "MOMENT OF DECLARATION". Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "What is thy opinion, then, friend?" he asked politely.
       Well, he'd known it was coming. Had now and then tried to imagine the cir-
    cumstances of his declaration, in situations ranging from the vaingloriously
    heroic to the openly dangerous, but as usual in such matters, God's sense of hu-
    mor trumped all imagination. And so he found himself taking that final step into
    irrevocable and public commitment to the rebel cause--just incidentally being
    required to ally himself with a deadly enemy in the process--standing alone in a
    dusty road, with a uniformed officer of the Crown squatting in the bushes di-
    rectly behind him, breeches round his ankles.
       "I am for liberty," he said, in a tone indicating mild astonishment that there
    could be any question regarding his position. "

And so on this day, 238 years ago, so many men and women put everything they had on the line for Liberty. And like so many others in many other countries, around the world, decided that their own freedom was so important that they would risk it all.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 3, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:45:35 07/02/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 35 'Moonlight". Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

"Ian stared at her intently as he rolled his sleeve down
    again, in careful turns. I could see a deep pink flush begin to rise from the neck
    of her gown.
       Ian rubbed his jaw as though thinking, then turned toward Jamie and
    shook his head.
       "No, my jo," he said softly. "Ye need me here, and here I shall stay." His
    eyes rested on Jenny, with Katherine held against her shoulder, and on small
    Maggie, clutching her mother's skirt with grubby hands. And on me. Ian's
    long mouth curled in a slight smile. "I shall stay here," he repeated. "Guardin'
    your weak side, man." "

And some men just know who they are what they are to do. Ian is one such man.

Replies:

• Quoters needed! -- Judie, 22:07:01 07/02/14 Wed
    Click on "contact forum admin" above and let me know what weeks you are NOT available. :)

Thanks.

Judie

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 2, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:18:17 07/01/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 40 "Absolution". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana

" There was that sudden startling moment of joining, that quick gliding
    strangeness that at once becomes familiar. Jamie sighed deeply, with satisfaction
    and, perhaps, relief. We lay still for a moment, as though afraid to disturb our
    fragile link by moving. Jamie's good hand caressed me slowly, feeling its way in
    the dark, fingers spread like a cat's whiskers, sensitive to vibration. He moved
    against me, once, as though asking a question, and I answered him in the same
    language. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, July 1, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:14:14 06/30/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 60 "THE PALE HORSEMAN RIDES". Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" Hortense and the two children were there. All naked, their pallid limbs glim-
    mering with the sweat of the sealed cabin. They were clammy white where the
    sunlight struck, legs and bodies streaked with reddish-brown. I hoped that it was
    only diarrhea, and not blood.
       Someone had moaned; someone moved. Not dead then, thank God. The
    bedcoverings had been thrown to the floor in a tangled heap--that was fortu-
    nate, as they were still mostly clean. I thought we had better burn the straw mat-
    tress, as soon as we got them off it.
       "Do not put your fingers in your mouth," I murmured to Bree, as we began
    to work, sorting the feebly twitching heap of humanity into its component parts. "

Healers are soldiers, often fighting a battle that they cannot win, but fight they do anyway.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, June 30, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:41:39 06/29/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 62 "STRAGLERS AND SUSPECTED PERSON". Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"It seemed wiser
    to be gone as soon as possible, now that Husband had
    departed.
       A hand seized him by the shoulder, and spun him round.
       "Who the hell are you? What did you say to Herman to
    make him go?" A grimy fellow in ragged leather vest con-
    fronted him, fists clenched. The man looked angry, ready to
    take out his frustration on the nearest available object.
       "I told him that the Governor doesn't want anyone to be
    harmed, if it can be avoided," Roger said, in what he hoped
    was a calming tone. "

Not that Roger didn't fight, or wouldn't, but he was a man who would try to his dying breath to make peace for all men.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, June 29, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:36:09 06/28/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 6 "Colum's Hall. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana

"So it was deliberate, this
    flaunting of his twisted legs and ungainly waddle on the long progress to his
    seat. Deliberate, too, the contrast with his tall, straight-bodied younger
    brother, who looked neither to left nor right, but walked straight behind
    Colum to the wooden chair and took up his station standing close behind.
       Colum sat and waited for a moment, then raised one hand. The pipes'
    wailing died away in a pitiful whine, and "Hall" began.
       It quickly became apparent that this was the regular occasion on which the
    laird of Castle Leoch dispensed justice to his tacksmen and tenants, hearing
    cases and settling disputes. There was an agenda; the balding scribe read out the
    names and the various parties came forward in their turn. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, June 28, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:02:32 06/27/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 62, One Just Man Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I unpinned my hair and shook it down over my shoulders, sighing with relief at its looseness. Then I lay down on the cot beside him, close against him. He lay on his stomach; I could see the small, muscular swell of his buttocks, smooth under the blanket that covered him. On impulse, I laid my hand on his rump and squeezed.
    “Sweet dreams,” I said, and let the tiredness take me.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, June 27, 2014 -- CarolSR, 14:35:36 06/26/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 31, A Guided Tour Through The Chambers Of The Heart. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“That means,” I emphasized, stabbing the needle into his flesh with sufficient force that he yelped, “you must not use your right arm for at least the next forty-eight hours. You must not haul on ropes, you must not climb rigging, you must not punch people, you must not so much as scratch your arse with your right hand, do you hear me?”
    “I expect the whole ship hears ye,” he muttered, but glanced down his cheek, trying to see his collarbone. “I generally scratch my arse wi’ my left hand, anyway.”

Replies:

• Has DG's side story about Jamie and Ian from the "Dangerous Woman" compilation been released as a stand-alone yet? -- LadyStormwing, 18:38:35 06/25/14 Wed
    I hate to purchase the whole thing when I'm really only interested in the single story. "The Space Between" is available on Nook as a single download, but I haven't seen "Virgins" yet. Any word, or too new yet?

• QOTD for Thursday, June 26, 2014 -- CarolSR, 13:25:48 06/25/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 62, One Just Man. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Try to think of something else for a minute,” I suggested. “Something pleasant to take your mind off it.”
    His brow furrowed for a moment, then relaxed.
    “Stand up a moment, will ye?” he said. I obligingly stood, wondering what he wanted. He opened his eyes, reached out with his good hand, and took a firm grip of my buttock.
    ‘There,” he said. “That’s the best thing I can think of. Having a good hold on your arse always makes me feel steady.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, June 25, 2014 -- CarolSR, 13:54:13 06/24/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 79 The Cave. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“And I can see the sweet wee crease of your arse, too –and once I’ve got ye pinned under me and ye canna get away…d’ye want it lying on your back, Sassenach, or bent over on your knees, wi’ me behind? I could take a good hold either way, and—“
    “I am not going into a freezing loch in order to gratify your perverted desires!”
    “All right,” he said, grinning. Stretching himself out beside me, he reached round behind and took a generous handful. Ye can gratify them here if ye like, where it’s warm.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, June 24, 2014 -- CarolSR, 14:17:24 06/23/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 26, Stag At Bay. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“His fingers lingered just under the edge of it, on the bare soft skin at the small of her back.
    “Ye’ll have a good day, aye?” he whispered. He fought the urge to slide his fingers down the back of her jeans; not respectful to be fingering the arse of the brand-new inspector of the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board. You’re bringing the hat home, after?”
    “Sure. Why?”
    “Thought ye might wear it in bed.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, June 23, 2014 -- CarolSR, 17:33:24 06/22/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 8, Spring Thaw. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“The architect was sitting on a log, surveying his kingdom, stark naked.
    “Expecting me, were you?” I asked, taking off my shawl and hanging it on a convenient branch.
    “I was.” He smiled, and scratched his chest. “I thought the sight of my naked backside would likely inflame ye.”

I love when Jamie teases Claire.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, June 22, 2014 - -- CarolSR, 21:07:05 06/21/14 Sat
    It's been a while... so I thought "why not host another ARSE WEEK!" Yes fans, each quote this week will include an "arse, bum, or buttocks!" Enjoy!

The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1, Sometimes They’re Really Dead. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“My grandda says the King can kiss his arse,” the boy replied matter of factly.
    “JEMMY!”
    Mr. MacKenzie clapped a hand over his outspoken offspring’s mouth.
    “You know your grandda didn’t say that!” Mrs. MacKenzie said. The little boy nodded agreeably, and his father removed the muffling hand.
    “No, Grannie did, though.”
    “Well, that’s somewhat more likely,” Mr. MacKenzie murmured, obviously trying not to laugh.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday 21 June, 2014. The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 101 Redivivus. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon -- Helka, 23:48:37 06/20/14 Fri
    At the day of summer solstice I wish you all well. It's been an interesting week, thanks you all for reading and commenting.

I did't know where my blood had gone. Every drop had left my head,
    and flickering lights danced before my eyes—but none of it was supplying my legs, which abruptly dissolved under me.
    Jamie was holding me up and kissing me, tasking of beer ans his beard stubble rasping my face,
    his fingers buried in my hair, and my breasts warmed and swelled against his chest.
    "Oh there it is," I murmured.
    "What?" he asked, breaking off for a moment.
    "My blood." I touched my tingling lips. "Do that again."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday 19 June, 2014. The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 31 A Guided Tour Through The Chambers Of The Heart. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. -- Helka, 23:17:33 06/19/14 Thu
    The flag you're born to has a vast personal meaning.
    Raising and lowering the flag is here an important task connected with certain rituals, such as the flag should never touch the ground.
    I guess Claire was always English, and mentally united with her colours and national symbols.

"They have cannons and muskets, Mr. Smith," Jamie said, throwing his coat over board with a heave that sent it spiraling out into the waves.
    "I'm no going to try to fight them for His Majesty's ship. Run down that flag!"

Mr.Smith bolted and began rooting among the myriad lines for the one connected to the Union Jack.
    Another boom came from the bow chases´rs, though this time a lucky roll of the sea carried us into a through and both balls passed over us.
    The colors came rattling down, to land in an ignominious heap on the deck.
    I had a moment's scandalized, reflexive impulse to rush over and pick them up, but stopped myself.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday 19 June, 2014. The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 70 Sanctuary. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved -- Helka, 22:50:54 06/18/14 Wed
    "Can I help you?" Roger asked, taking a grip of the shovel he'd been using.
    The man wasn't threatening but was roughly dressed and dirty—a tramp, perhaps—and there was something indefinable about him that made Roger uneasy.

"It's a church, aye?" the man said, and grinned, though no hint of warmth touched his eyes.
    "Suppose I've come to claim sanctuary,then." He moved suddenly into the light, and Roger saw his eyes more clearly.
    Cold, and a deep, striking green.
    "Sanctuary," William Buccleigh MacKenzie repeated. And then, Minister dear, I want ye to tell me who ye are, who I am—and what in the name of God are we?"

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, 18 June, 2014. The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 47 High places. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 22:59:46 06/17/14 Tue

"Ah." He considered for a moment—there was a distinct possibility she'd hit him with the bottle if he told her, but then,
    bargain was a bargain, after all—and the vision of her naked save for the hard hat, radiating heat in all directions,
    was enough to make a man cast caution to the winds.

"I was trying to see if I could get the exact pitch of the sounds ye make when we're making love
    and ye're about to. . .er. . .to. . .it's something between a growl and a really deep hum."

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, 17 June, 2014. The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 68 Despoiler. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 23:11:33 06/16/14 Mon
    "He's not dead," I panted. "Shoulder . . . broken."
    "Oh God", Ian said, and I felt him turn to glance in the direction from which the pursuit was clearly headed. "Oh Jesus."
    I heard tears in his voice, and he reached to his belt for his knife.
    "What are you doing?" I exclaimed. "He can be healed!"
    "They'll kill him," he said, savage. "If I'm no there to stop them, they'll kill him! Better I do it."
    "I-" Jamie began, but Rachel Hunter forestalled him, falling to her knees and grabbing Rollo by the scruff.
    "I'll mind the dog for thee," she said, breathless but certain."Run!"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, 16 June, 2014. The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 65 Hat Trick.. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 23:31:02 06/15/14 Sun

Jamie shrugged and, lifting the rifle to his shoulder, aimed deliberately high and wide. The wind had turned and the smoke of the shot stung his eyes, but he saw one of the junior officers near Simon jump and clap a hand to his head, twisting in the saddle to see his hat roll away into the wheat.

He wanted to laugh, though his wame curled a bit, realizing that he had nearly shot the man through the head, entirely by accident, The young man-yes, he was young, tall and thin-rose in his stirrups and shoot a fist at the wood.

"You owe me a hat, sir!" he shouted.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, 15 June, 2014. -- Helka, 21:52:56 06/14/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 76, By The Wind Grieved. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I didn't reread the Books now, but for this QOTD I skimmed through Echo, and found bits and pieces I wish to share.
    The most I enjoy the dialogue, the mentality of the people is in their own words. Here we're slowly returning to Lallybroch taking a shelter at a roofless croft.

"I miss my dog," Ian grumbled, huddling under his cloak and pulling a blanket over his goose pimpled head.

"Would he sit on yer heid?" Jamie inquired, taking a firmer hold on me
    as the wind roared past our shelter and threatened to rip away the rest of the threadbare thatch overhead.
    "Ye should have thought about it being January, before ye shaved your scalp."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, 14 June 2014. -- MariaM, 02:42:53 06/14/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 47, High Places. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “No, that’s not what I mean. There’s a term for it – heat signature? Does that sound right?”

She closed one eye, considering, then shrugged.

“Maybe. Why?”

“You’ve got one.”

She looked down at herself, squinting.

“Nope. Two. Defnitely two.”

He wasn’t quite drunk, and neither was she, but whatever they were was a lot of fun.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, 13 June 2014. -- MariaM, 22:53:42 06/12/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn, Chapter 70, The Gathering". Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"By the third day of the Gathering, I had heard so much news, gossip, and general chatter that my ears rang with the sound of Gaelic. Those who were not talking were singing; Roger was in his element, wandering through the grounds and listening. He was hoarse from singing himself; he had been up most of the night before, strumming a borrowed guitar and singing to a crowd of enchanted listeners while Brianna sat curled by his feet, looking smug."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, 12 June 2014. -- MariaM, 00:09:53 06/12/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter35, Hogmanay. Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“His feet struck soundless, sure on the ground, and his shadow danced on the wall behind him, looming tall, long arms upraised. His face was still toward me, but he didn’t see me any longer, I was sure.

The muscles of his legs were strong as a leaping stag’s beneath the hem of his kilt, and he danced with all the skill of the warrior he had been and still was. But I thought he danced now only for the sake of memory, that those watching might not forget; danced, with the sweat flying from his brow as he worked, and a look of unutterable distance in his eyes.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, 11 June 2014. -- MariaM, 02:38:08 06/11/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 57, Promised Land". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He looked down at me, eyes narrowed. “Take my time, was it? You’ll beg for it, before I’ve done with ye.”

I tugged experimentally at my wrists, held tight in his grasp, and wriggled slightly under him with anticipation.

“Ooh, mercy,” I said. “You beast.”

He snorted briefly, and bent his head to the curve of my breast, white as pearl in the dim green water-light.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, 10 June 2014. -- MariaM, 04:05:58 06/10/14 Tue
    The following is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter Moonlight. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I could see them there at the end of the hall. Jamie sat leaning back against the side of the window seat, wearing only his shirt. His bare legs were raised, forming a back against which small Katherine Mary rested as she sat facing him in his lap, her own chubby legs kicking restlessly over his stomach.

The baby’s face was blank and light as the moon’s, her eyes dark pools absorbing his words.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, 9 June 2014. -- MariaM, 21:49:02 06/08/14 Sun
    The following is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter L’Hopital des Anges. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “How was it, Sassenach?” Jamie asked.

“Horrible!” I answered, beaming broadly.

He raised one eyebrow, smiling down at me as I lay sprawled on the chaise.

“Oh, enjoyed yourself, did ye?”

“Oh, Jamie, it was so nice to be useful again! I mopped floors and I fed people gruel, and when Sister Angelique wasn’t looking, I managed to change a couple of filthy dressings and lance an abscess.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, 8 June 2014. -- MariaM, 00:33:37 06/08/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32, Hard Labour. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “That’s odd, isn’t it?” I experimented, running a hand gently down the back of his head and neck. Sure enough, I was rewarded at once by a singularly sweet smile that lingered for a moment before the lines of his face relaxed once more into the rather stern expression he presented when asleep.

“I wonder why he does that?” I said, watching him in fascination. Jenny shrugged and smiled at me.

“I imagine it means he’s happy.””

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, June -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 07:06:16 06/07/14 Sat
    Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening to my Lallybrochians,

It feels great to post Morning/Afternoon/Evening…. shows me just how global we are here at Lallybroch. Decades (yup…DECADES) of sharing, supporting, scrapping, loving… all over the WORLD! I love it! We are building a legacy for the Future Lallybrochians. Hmmmm. Sounds suspiciously like a Family to me.

What sets Lallybroch apart from all the other Outlander-inspired groups? Well, time for one. We have been going strong for, yup, decades. And for the most part we get along. Oh, we scrap among ourselves like most normal families, but usually we mend our differences, forgive each other, and get along with life. When that isn't possible, we bow to the wisdom of our Fearless Leader, Judie.

The biggest part of what sets Lallybroch apart is respect. Respect for the body of work that makes up our Books, respect for Diana Gabaldon, respect for our heritage that we have built, and respect for each other.

This is a Good Place to Be. Thank you All for being part of my Lally Family.

The final chapter in the Hosing of Hal:

*setting the stage* We are at home: Hal, his SO, and his friends are here for an afternoon of burgers, grilled veggies, grilled potatoes, and talk.*

Hal (oblivious to all others at the table who could't care LESS about some silly book about 18th century Scotland): "Mom, what's your favorite scene in Outlander?"
    Me: "Oh, I don't know. All of them? Hal, no one else has read the book. Perhaps we should chat later when it's just the two of us???"
    Hal (still oblivious): "Well, after I get discovered and they cast the Right Jamie, I think my favorite part I want to play is this one:" and he proceeds to grab my copy of the Book which is conveniently within arms reach at all times, turns right to the exact page and reads with a pretty decent Highland accent (no disrespect intended to you, Elenna or any other native of Scotland) the whole scene where Jamie tells Claire about the last time his father took him to the fence for some Parental Discussion. His friends were nicely attentive but really, not too interested. I gave them points for looking honestly impressed with Hal's Highland accent.

Last night at 10:05:
    Hal calls me. This is the last (so far) of Hal's Hoserization:

Me: "So, are you finished with Outlander?"
    Hal: "They're in the Abbey in France. Do you know what the bast*** Jack Randall did to Jamie?????"
    Me: "Yes. I've read the book a couple of times (HA!!! Maybe a couple hundred times). I remember, even in my feeble dotage, about what happened."
    Hal: "I'll be needing the next book, Mom."

The following quote is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 29, 'More Honesty'. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"He roared 'Damn you, Jamie! can ye no cry out? You're grown no, and I dinna mean to beat you ever again, but I want one good yelp out of ye, lad, before I quit, just so I'll think I've made some impression on ye at last!' " Jamie laughed, disturbing the even movement of his pulsebeat.
    "I was so upset at that, I straightened up and whirled round and yelled at him, 'Weel, why did ye no say so in the first place, ye auld fool! OUCH!!!'
    "Next thing I knew I was on the ground, wi' my ears ringing and a pain in my jaw, where he clouted me. He was standing over me, panting, and wi' his hair and his beard all on end. He reached down and got my hand and hauled me up.
    "Then he patted my jaw, and said, still breathing hard, 'That's for calling your father a fool. It may be true, but it's disrespectful. Come on, we'll wash for supper.' And he never struck me again. He still shouted at me, but I shouted back, and it was mostly man to man after that."

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, June 6th, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 06:43:07 06/06/14 Fri
    Good Whatever-the-time-of-day-it-is-for-you.

I'm a tardy in posting. Two reasons: First, I'm still on a HUGE learning curve with this Mac we now have. At least I don't want to smash it with a sledgehammer anymore. BUT, I keep losing what I've written and don't know how to get it back. Second, I got a bit caught up with the discussion on Facebook about posting spoilers. *shaking my head* My life is too short to get all torqued out of shape about some stuff. That's all I'll say.

Soooo, it's Friday. My week is almost over. It's been fun posting a glimpse or two of my family. We're wacky. We know it. And we don't care. *S*

Continuation of the Outlandering of Hal:

We were discussing various aspects of the Book, I don't recall just WHICH aspects, though. The conversation continued like this:

Me: "Well, they're making a mini-series of Outlander so maybe we'll see how other people see that point."
    Hal: "I know about the miniseries. And they cast the WRONG man as Jamie."
    Me: "Are you kidding? Sam is incredible! Even Diana Gabaldon thinks so!"
    Hal: "He's all wrong for the part. He doesn't look a thing like Jamie. Jamie is the best warrior that ever was. He could take on the whole English army."
    Me: "He did. They kicked his a**."
    Hal: "He had an off day."
    Me: "Yeah yeah yeah. Well, Sam isn't what I was expecting, either, but he grew on me. Just give it a bit of time. You'll like him, too."
    Hal: "Nope. He's all wrong. WAY too old. Jamie is 23 or 24. Sam is in his 40's."
    Me: "How do you know? Have you even seen a picture of him?"
    Hal: "I looked up everything on the internet I could find about the Starz series and every interview of Diana Gabaldon I could fine. Yes, I know what he looks like."
    Me: "You LOOKED UP EVERYTHING??????"

Insert lively discussion of all the sites Hal has read, which are many many many more than I have…

Me: "So, who SHOULD they have cast as Jamie?"
    Hal: "Me."

The following quote is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 29, "More Honesty'. Copyright © by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"She came up to me out in the field one day, while I was trying' to mend a wagon that sprang its wheel. I crawled out, all covered wi' muck, and found her standing' there looking like a bush covered wi' butterflies. She looks me up and down and she says-" He paused and scratched his head. "Weel,, I don't know exactly WHAT she said, but it ended with her kissing me, muck notwithstanding, and saying, 'Fine, then, we'll be married on St. Martin's Day.'" He spread his hands in comic resignation. "I was still explaining why we couldna do any such thing, when I found myself in front of a priest, saying, 'I take thee, Janet'… and swearing to a lot of verra improbable statements."

Replies:

• Important! -- Judie, 01:03:20 06/06/14 Fri
    I'm sure I don't need to say this, but just in case anyone forgets.........

NO discussions of the new book on this board - for about six months! :D

Well, it's been so long now I can't remember HOW LONG discussions were forbidden on the Books Board or any board except the NEW RELEASES discussion board. We'll have to play it by ear.

Anyway, there is a link at the top of this board which goes directly to the New Releases Discussion Board so any talk about MOBY takes place there.

And, really, anyone who goes over there without having read the complete book - you are at your own risk. I'm sure there will be people who will read it in a day or two and want to discuss it - but they might not have many folks to discuss it with in the first few days *G* - but the board is there for those mighty folks! :)

Judie

• QOTD for Thursday, June 5th, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 06:19:20 06/05/14 Thu
    Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening to All in Lallyland!
    As some of you may know, my children are grown and I have grandbabes now. I was also forced to retire from a long career as a nurse a couple of years ago. Health reasons. What I THOUGHT was going to be a quiet, somewhat boring life is now the busiest I've ever been! One thing that helps keep me busy is taking care of a toddler twice a week. I've had her since she was four weeks old. Her Grammie and I have been dear friends since we were both pregnant with our fourth child. All our children are the same ages, our husbands were friends in High School, and we *almost* share the same birthdate.

I had always thought that Mal, her youngest, didn't like me. I can't honestly remember Mal ever saying a word to me the whole time she was growing up, aside from the social necessities of Hello, Mrs. Robbins and Goodbye, Mrs. Robbins. I always thought that Mal was a bit of a snob. But when Mal was pregnant (quite by surprise) with her first child, she asked me tearfully if I'd care for her baby two days a week. They had rearranged their working schedule to cover being home except for two days. And she could not, just COULD NOT go back to work if I weren't the one she was leaving her baby with. Huh?????? Thought I. But you can't stand me, thought I. Well, you're desperate, thought I. And you're broke, have no money, are struggling to scratch out a life, can't afford real childcare….blah blah blah. PULEEEZZZEEE, Mrs. Robbins? Will you think about it?

I asked Mal why me? And she said….I can't bare to leave my baby with any one but you. I want her to be loved and cuddled and safe and to feel like a part of a family. Like I did when I was small. I want her to have what I did when I was around you and David (my DH).

One just never knows what goes on in the minds of someone else. There are huge surprises waiting there. Often things aren't as they seem. Mal was painfully shy, which I knew, but it manifested as arrogance and gave her an air of superiority and entitlement. To my shame, I was so busy with four little ones and a full-time job (working 12 hour NIGHTS…uggg….) that I didn't delve too deeply into what made her tick. When our families got together, which we did many many many times over the years, the insanity of all those kids was fun, funny, loud, and exhausting. I just didn't take the time.

So now I have another grandchild. Emmie is here twice a week and my life is dictated by her care. My biological grandchildren moved right over and added one more. Jai, who is now home with her Mama after near on to a year with us while Carlah was deployed, calls to talk to Emmie and wants to Skype with Emmie. Asks for Emmie. Em is in all our hearts. I am so thankful that I never let Mal know my feelings all those years. She would never have asked me to wrap another child in my heart.

Oh….Mal and Hal were off again-on again "close friends" over the years from sixth grade to senior year. I do wonder if Emmie *might* be…oh, never mind. I can do the math.

Hal: "Mom. I don't know what's wrong. I hate this book. But I just can't stop reading it."
    Me: "I know how that is, Hal. I'm familiar with that phenomena. Guess you'll just have to keep reading."

The following quote is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I turned toward him. "I don't hate you."

"I don't hate you, either. And there's many good marriages have started wi' less than that." Gently, he turned me away from him and fitted himself to my back so we lay nested together. His hand cupped my breast, not in invitation or demand, but because it seemed to belong there.

"Don't be afraid," he whispered into my hair. "There's the two of us now."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, June 4th, 2014. -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 21:54:32 06/03/14 Tue
    Good morning, Lally Lovers!

It's Wednesday, Hump Day here in LallyLand. One day closer to having MOBY storm the World. One day closer to racing around trying to grab the Book before David does. So far, he has won every time. This time I'm going to cheat. Maybe I'll have a chance.

Here is the next chapter in the Gabaldoning of my son.

Hal: "I hate this book."
    Me: "I've heard you mention that."
    Hal: "This book is making me very uncomfortable. I'm not reading any more of it."
    Me: "What's making you uncomfortable? That seems like a strange reaction."
    Hal: "All it is, is a story about two people getting married even if they don't KNOW each other and don't even really LIKE each other. And then all they do is run around in the woods and have sex. All-The-Time. It makes me really uncomfortable."
    Me: "You're joking, aren't you? I can't believe that a little bit of sex bothers YOU! You're a twenty-five year old man with a VERY healthy sexual drive and a girlfriend who you say matches your drive with her own. Give me a break. And that's not all they do, anyway."
    Hal: " Yes, it is. All the time. For any reason at all. They just jump into the bushes and go for it. And they hardly even know each other. It's just too much. It makes me uncomfortable."
    Me: *shaking my head and trying not to laugh* "Hal, you drive me crazy."
    Hal: "Well, I don't like it and I'm not going to read it anymore."
    Me: "Talk to you tomorrow, Hal. Go home now. And DON'T have sex!!!!!"
    Hal: "MOM!!!"

The following post is from "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 18, 'Raiders in the Rocks'. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Lord", he said softly. "It's slippery as waterweed."
    "Jamie! There are twenty men sleeping right next to us!" I shouted in a whisper.
    "They wilna be sleeping long, if you keep talking." He rolled on top of me, pinning me to the rock. His knee wedged between my thighs and began to work gently back and forth. Despite myself, my legs were beginning to loosen. Twenty-seven years of propriety were no match for several hundred thousand years of instinct. While my mind might object to being taken on a bare rock next to several sleeping soldiers, my body plainly considered itself the spoils of war and was eager to complete the formalities of surrender. He kissed me, long and deep, his tongue sweet and restless in my mouth.

Replies:

• I've been absent from the boards for quite awhile, but now I'm looking for an Echo summary before Tuesday (I know, I know, you can't really summarize a 1000 page novel...) I'm really looking for main points to refresh my memory as I'm not going to get through a 'quick' read in time and I know I won't be able to resist diving into the new one when I get it. Can't someone help me out or point me to a link (please put spoilers in message) Thanks! -- Annie Stewart, 18:40:30 06/03/14 Tue

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 06:15:02 06/03/14 Tue
    Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening to all of Lallyland!

I love my son. Oh, I ADORE my son. I adore all my children, but my son has always, every DAY, told me how much he loves me. The girls all went through that horrid teen-stuff (still do go through it at times but now it's horrid grown-up stuff) when they thought I was the dumbest block of wood in the world and hated having me for a Mama. Not my son. Hal's just different. He's a tall, manly-man, was very popular in school (still is), sings with gusto and has a good voice, is generous to a fault, but has never been afraid to show his tender side. Sort of like his Dad. I fell in love with David for many reasons, but one of the biggest was he didn't mind crying in public. Hal is the same way. I have a wonderful picture of him with one of his two best-friends sitting next to each other on the couch, leaning in and hugging each other while they watch a movie. That's how they watched the whole movie...with arms wrapped around each other like lovers (they aren't. Trust me on this one). Both grown men. Still have that bone-deep happiness when seeing their best-friend after months away. Someone posted it on Facebook, to embarrass him, I think, but he didn't care. He's quite secure in himself and doesn't need to prove who he is. HOWEVER, at times he's a real idiot.

Hal: "Mom, I hate this book. (YELLING here) This is the worst trash I've ever read! I can't believe you LIKE this!!! How could ANY woman like this? It is THE most degrading book I've ever read (His reading list isn't terribly extensive). Women being treated as property..
    Me: "They were property." (inserted quickly, mid-rant.)
    Hal: "And Claire...how helpless can someone act? She never stands up for herself, just lets Jamie boss her around. Then he BEATS her!!!!! That is NO WAY TO TREAT A WOMAN!!!
    Me: "He doesn't beat her. He uses physical punishment which, for the times, was fully accepted and expected.
    Hal: "I don't care. The women I love shouldn't read this trash."
    Me: "Hal, you're acting just like Jamie. Your male-ness is showing."
    Hal: "I don't care. I am NOT reading this book anymore. I will NOT support the demeaning of women. And I can't imagine why you would either."
    Me: "Keep reading."
    Hal: "No. I'm NOT reading this anymore."
    Me: "Ok. Just don't throw the book out. Give it back, or you will see ME acting medieval."
    Hal: "You can have this trash back. I'll get it to you tomorrow."

Long pause.

Hal: "So...Jamie's pretty awesome, huh?"
    Me: (laughing silently) "Yup."

The following quote is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21, Une Mauvais d'Heure After Another. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"YOUR wife! YOUR wife! You don't care a thing about me! I'm just your property; it only matters to you because you think I belong to you, and you can't stand to have someone take something that belongs to you!"

"Ye DO belong to me," he roared, digging his fingers into my shoulders like spikes. "And you ARE my wife, whether ye like it or no!"

"I don't like it! I don't like it a bit! But that doesn't matter either, does it? As long as I'm there to warm your bed, you don't care what I think or how I feel! That's all a wife is to you- something to stick your cock into when you feel the urge!"

Replies:

• QOTD -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 06:06:05 06/02/14 Mon
    Good Morning, Lally People!

I love watching and listening to someone who is reading our Books for the first time. It's like watching myself and re-living all those moments where I KNEW I was in love. Watching my son Hal is just a bit different. But funny. Oh my goodness! SOOOOOO funny!

Hal: "This book stinks. I hate it. It's just about some guys in kilts storming around being guys. Except they're disrespectful and awful to women."
    Me: "Hal, it takes place in the 1700's. That was society pretty much everywhere then."
    Hal: "I don't care. I hate it."
    Me: "Keep reading."
    Hal: "And the women. They just act helpless and don't care that they are victims. All the women wait around for the men to make the decisions and save the day."
    Me: "Not so. Claire has her day. Keep reading."
    Hal: "I hate this book. I'm not reading it anymore."
    Me: "Ok."
    Long pause, then:
    Hal: "So. About this Dougal guy. He is a real leader of men, huh?"
    Me: "Uh huh. Sort of."
    Hal: "So tell me some about him."
    Me: To myself: Hahahahahahaha.

The following quote is from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter three, 'The Man in the Wood'. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"C'mere, Lass." A large, dark bearded man remained seated by the window as he beckoned me. By his air of command, he seemed to be the leader of this pack. The men parted reluctantly as Murtagh pulled me forward, apparently respecting his rights as captor.

The dark man looked me over carefully, no expression on his face. He was good-looking, I thought, and not unfriendly. There were lines of stress between his brows, though, and it wasn't a face one would willingly cross.

Replies:

• QOTD -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 22:09:12 06/01/14 Sun
    I typed the whole quote out and then Poof! It's disappeared and I'm just too tired to start over now. I'll post in the AM. Sorry.

• 9 more days!!!!!! whoppeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! -- Lisa L, 13:53:43 06/01/14 Sun

• QOTD for Sunday, June 1st (It's really JUNE!!!!!! Too bad it's still freezing cold here. What's goin' on???) -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 06:14:01 06/01/14 Sun
    Good Morning, Lallyland!

First of all, my internet connection has been on and off for over two weeks.. I've had the fix-it guy here three times (oh brother...the BILL!! Uggggg)....to say nothing about all the hours with tech support, so please be patient with me. I will find a way to post QOTD somehow but may be a bit tardy a day or two.

My 25 year old son ran out of reading material. Can you imagine? Has the boy ne'er heard of a library? He's MY son, after all. But that's neither here nor there. He ran out. So apparently he decided that after the decades of listening to his father, sisters, and me (to say nothing of all my friends who have ALLLLL read our Books) he decided to finally give the first book a try.

In honor of him and some of his comments, this week is dedicated to him.

Son: "Mom, I'm reading that Book of yours." (insert a sigh and then a bit of a squeal from his Mom.) "It's boring. It's just a bunch of characters saying stupid stuff. No action. I don't think I'll keep reading it. Oh...what's up with that ghost?"

Mom: "Just keep reading."

The following quote is taken from "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright (c) 1991, by Diana Gabaldon. All rights researved.

"Nooo"... Frank sounded doubtful. "No, it wasn't his dress that was odd. But when he pushed past me, I could swear he was close enough that I should have felt him brush my sleeve- but I didn't. And I was intrigued enough to turn round and watched him as he walked away. He walked down the Gereside Road, but when he'd almost reached the corner, he... disappeared. That's when I began to feel a bit cold down the backbone."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, May 31, 2014 -- HeatherLeigh, 20:49:52 05/30/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 7, Indian Agent. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"James Fraser, Indian Agent," I said, closing one eye as though reading it off a screen. "It sounds like a Wild West television show."
    Jamie paused in the act of pulling off his stockings, and eyed me warily. "It does? Is that good?"
    "Insofar as the hero of a television show never dies, yes."
    "In that case, I'm in favor of it," he said, examining the stocking he'd just pulled off. He sniffed it suspiciously, rubbed a thumb over a thin patch on the heel, shook his head, and tossed it into the laundry basket. "Must I sing?"

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, May 30, 2014 -- HeatherLeigh, 04:52:05 05/30/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 99, Brother. Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Comment sont vos selles, grandpere?" Germain inquired chummily, evidently familiar with this line of social inquiry. And how are your stools, grandfather?
    "Free and easy," his grandfather assured him. "Eat up your parritch every morning, and ye'll never have piles."
    "Da!"
    "Well, it's true," Jamie protested.

Replies:

• Quoters Needed! -- Judie, 19:35:09 05/29/14 Thu
    Hi, gang.

Need some more quoters - help, help! :)

Judie

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, May 29, 2014 -- HeatherLeigh, 05:29:21 05/29/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 14, People of the Snowbird. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Ian, there is a woman in my bed," he said in Gaelic, trying to match his nephew’s calm tone.
    "There are two of them, Uncle Jamie." Ian sounded amused, damn him! "The other will be down by your feet. Waiting her turn."
    That unnerved him, and he nearly lost his grip on the captive hand.
    "Two of them! What do they think I am?"
    The girl giggled again, leaned over, and bit him lightly on the chest.
    "Christ!"

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, May 28, 2014 -- HeatherLeigh, 04:46:42 05/28/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 74, So Romantic. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"I wrote my name! Grandda showed me!"
    "Oh, you did? Well, good for you!" Brianna beamed at him, then her brow furrowed. "What—just now?"
    "Yes! Come see afore it's covered up!"
    She looked at Jamie under lowered brows.
    "Da, you didn't."
    He took a piece of fresh toast from the platter, and spread it neatly with butter. "Aye, well," he said, "there's got to be some advantage still to being a man, even if no one pays a bit of heed to what ye say."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, May 27, 2014 -- HeatherLeigh, 10:28:53 05/27/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 40, Duncan's Secret. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"I did not," he said. "What d'ye take me for, Sassenach?"
    "A Scot," I said. "Sex fiends, the lot of you. Or so one would think, listening to all the talk around here." I gave Farquard Campbell a hard look, but he had turned his back, engrossed in conversation.
    Jamie regarded me thoughtfully, scratching the corner of his jaw.
    "Sex fiends?"
    "You know what I mean."
    "Oh, aye, I do. I'm only wondering-is that an insult, would ye say, or a compliment?"

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, May 26, 2014 -- HeatherLeigh, 08:37:59 05/26/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 36, Worlds Unseen. Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He bent and kissed me briefly, then headed for the door. Just short of it, though, he turned back.
    "The, um, sperms ..." he said, a little awkwardly.
    "Yes?"
    "Can ye not take them out and give them decent burial or something?"
    I hid my smile in my teacup.
    "I'll take good care of them," I promised. "I always do, don't I?"

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, May 25, 2014 -- HeatherLeigh, 07:30:19 05/25/14 Sun
    The following is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 20, Dangerous Gifts. Copyright 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"So what is my most endearing trait?" I demanded.
    "Ye think I'm funny, he said, grinning.
    "I...do...not..." I grunted, struggling madly. He merely lay on top of me, tranquilly oblivious to my pokings and thumpings, until I exhaughsted myself and lay gasping underneath him.
    "And." he said thoughtfully, "ye like it verra much when I take ye to bed. No."
    "Er..." I wanted to contradict him, but honesty forbade. Besides, he bloody well knew I did.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday May 24, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 03:38:42 05/24/14 Sat
    The following is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 5 To Us A Child Is Given copyright 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Oh, a him, is it?" With hands experienced by years of unclehood, he lifted the tiny package and cuddled it against himself, pushing back the flap of blanket that shaded its face.
    Its eyes were closed tight shut, the lashes not visible in the deep crease of the eyelids. The eyelids themselves lay at a sharp angle above the flushed smooth rounds of the cheeks, giving promise that it might -- in this one recognizable feature, at least -- resemble its mother.
    The head was oddly lumpy, with a lopsided appearance that made Jamie think uncomfortably of a kicked-in melon, but the small fat mouth was relaxed and peaceful, the moist pink underlip quivering faintly with the snore attendant on the exhaustion of being born.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday May 23, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 22:41:58 05/22/14 Thu
    The following is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 26 The Laird's Return copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

In spite of the limp, he moved youthfully. In fact, as he drew near to the arbor, I could see that he was only in his twenties. He was tall, nearly as tall as Jamie, but much narrower through the shoulder, thin, in fact, nearly to the point of skinniness.
    He paused at the entrance to the arbor, leaning heavily on the lattice, and looked in at me with interest. Thick brown hair fell smoothly over a high brow, and deepset brown eyes held a look of patient good humor.

Replies:

• QOTD- for Thursday May 22, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 19:26:14 05/21/14 Wed
    The following is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
    Chapter 3 The Man in the Wood. copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"C'mere, lass." A large, dark-bearded man remained seated at the table by the window as he beckoned me. By his air of command, he seemed to be the leader of this pack. The men parted reluctantly as Murtagh pulled me forward, apparently respecting his rights as captor.
    The dark man looked me over carefully, no expression on his face. He was good-looking, I thought, and not unfriendly. There were lines of strain between his brows, though, and it wasn't a face one would willingly cross.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday May 21, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 17:02:54 05/20/14 Tue
    The following is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 15, Revelations of the Bridal Chamber copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Tell me if I'm too rough, or tell me to stop altogether, if ye wish. Anytime until we are joined; I dinna think I can stop after that."
    In answer, I put my hands behind his neck and pulled him down on top of me. I guided him to the slippery cleft between my legs.
    "Holy God," said James Fraser, who never too the name of his Lord in vain.
    "Don't stop now," I said.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 20:04:32 05/19/14 Mon
    The following is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 3 "The Man in the Wood" copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The hands released me, but even as I turned to him, I sensed something wrong. It was not only the unfamiliar cologne, but something more subtle. I stood stock-still, feeling the hair prickle on my neck.
    "You aren't Frank," I whispered.
    "I am not," he agreed, surveying me with considerable interest.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday May 19, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 23:37:55 05/18/14 Sun
    The following is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 26 "The Laird's Return" copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The broad-checked faces were once more mirrors of each other, but the expression that they were was such that I rose and stepped quietly through the kitchen door to leave them alone.
    As the door swung to behind me, I saw Jamie catch hold of his sister's hands and say something huskily in Gaelic. She stepped into his embrace, and the rough bright head bent to the dark.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday May 18, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 04:24:07 05/18/14 Sun
    The following is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
    Chapter 3, The Man in the Wood copyright 1991 by Diana
    Gabaldon. All rights reserved

I shrank back into the shadows near the fireplace,hoping to
    avoid notice. The man called Murtagh had untied my hands before leading me here. Perhaps I could slip away while they were busy elsewhere. The men's attention had shifted to a young man crouched on a stool in the corner. He had barely looked up through my appearance and interrogation, but kept his head bent, hand clutching the opposite shoulder, rocking slightly back and forth in pain.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, 17 May 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 23:51:34 05/16/14 Fri
    The following is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 49, Blessed Are Those Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"After the final battle at Culloden, eighteen Jacobite officers, all wounded, took refuge in the old house and for two days, their wounds untended, lay in pain; then they were taken out to be shot. One of them, a Fraser of the Master of Lovat’s regiment, escaped the slaughter; the others were buried at the edge of the domestic park.”

One man, a Fraser of the Master of Lovat’s regiment, escaped….” Roger repeated softly. He looked up from the stark pages to see her eyes, wide and unseeing as a deer’s fixed in the headlights of an oncoming car.

“He meant to die on Culloden Field,” Roger whispered, “But he didn’t.”

Thank you, everyone, for a great week. The theme, as someone guessed quite early on, was “revelations”. I found that majority of the truly shocking ones had either to do with TT or identity, and that if there was ever a master at giving a piece of important information and then …ENDING a book, Herself would win the prize.

Enjoy your weekend!

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, 16 May 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 18:22:20 05/15/14 Thu
    The following is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 101, Redivivus. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Who are you?” he said hoarsely, wheeling on Jamie.

I saw Jamie draw himself slowly upright, ignoring the noise below.

“James Fraser,” he said. His eyes were fixed on William with a burning intensity, as though to absorb every vestige of a sight he would not see again. “Ye kent me once as Alex MacKenzie. At Helwater.”

William blinked, blinked again, and his gaze shifted momentarily to John.

“And who – who the bloody hell am I?” he demanded, the end of his question rising in a squeak.

John opened his mouth, but it was Jamie who answered.

“You are a stinking Papist,” he said, very precisely, “and your baptismal name is James.” The ghost of regret crossed his face and then was gone. “It was the only name I had a right to give ye,” he said quietly, eyes on his son. “I’m sorry.”

Last edited by author: Fri May 16, 2014 03:18:33   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, 15 May 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 21:09:35 05/14/14 Wed
    The following is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 60, The Scent of Gemstones. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Kept your girlish figure, I see, Claire.” Her head was tilted to one side, green eyes gleaming with amusement.

I was too paralyzed with surprise to respond aloud, but the thought drifted through my stunned mind that I couldn’t say the same for her.

Geillis Duncan had always had a voluptuous abundance of creamy bosom and a generous swell of rounded hip. While still creamy skinned, she was considerably more abundant and generous, in every dimension visible. She wore a loose muslin gown, under which the soft, thick flesh wobbled and swayed as she moved. The delicate bones of her face had long since been submerged in swelling plumpness, but the brilliant green eyes were the same, filled with malice and humor.

I took a deep breath and got my voice back.

“I trust you won’t take this the wrong way,” I said, sinking slowly back onto the wicker sofa, “but why aren’t you dead?”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, 14 May 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 03:25:25 05/14/14 Wed
    The following is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Epilogue I: Lallybroch Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

December 31, 1776
    My dear daughter,
    As you will see if you ever receive this, we are alive…

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, 13 May 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 02:53:33 05/13/14 Tue
    The following is taken from A Leaf on the Wind of All Hallows: An Outlander Novella by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright © 2010 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I love you,” the dark man said, his voice fierce. Then he was gone again, with the shoof-shoof sounds of boots in dry grass, leaving Jerry with his mouth agape.

He caught the other man’s voice from the darkness, irritated, half-amused. He spoke differently from the dark man, a much thicker accent, but Jerry understood him without difficulty.

“Why did ye tell him a daft thing like that?”

And the dark one’s reply, soft-spoken, in a tone that terrified him more than anything had so far.

“Because he isn’t going to make it back. It’s the only chance I’ll ever have. Come on.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, 12 May 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 03:21:56 05/12/14 Mon
    The following is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 41, Journey’s End. Copyright © 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“My name is Brianna,” she said. He frowned, uncertain, and something flickered in his eyes. He knew it! He’d heard the name and it meant something to him. She swallowed hard, feeling her cheeks blaze as though they’d been seared by a candle flame.

“I’m your daughter,” she said, her voice sounding choked to her own ears. “Brianna.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, 11 May 2014 -- LadyStormwing, 23:02:17 05/10/14 Sat
    The following is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 5, The MacKenzie. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Quite beyond ordinary scruples by this time, I shamelessly rifled the olivewood desk, keeping an ear out for returning footsteps.

I found what I suppose I had been looking for in the central drawer. A half-finished letter, written in a flowing hand rendered no more legible by the eccentric spelling and total lack of punctuation. The paper was fresh and clean, and the ink crisply black. Legible or not, the date at the top of the page sprang out at me as though written in letters of fire: 20 April, 1743."

(I do have a theme for this week. Imaginary bonus points for whoever can guess it. Enjoy!)

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, May 10, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:58:50 05/09/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1 "A New Beginning". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana

" "Perhaps your attention was distracted for a second, and he just stepped
    aside into the shadows," I suggested. "There are a lot of trees down near that
    corner."
       "I could swear I didn't take my eyes off him for a moment," muttered
    Frank. He looked up suddenly. "I know! I remember now why I thought he was
    so odd, though I didn't realize it at the time."
       "What?" I was getting a bit tired of the ghost, and wanted to go on to
    more interesting matters, such as bed.
       "The wind was cutting up like billy-o, but his drapes--his kilts and his
    plaid, you know--they didn't move at all, except to the stir of his walking."
       We stared at each other, "Well," I said finally, "that is a bit spooky." "

Poor Frank, he didn't have any clue what was about to happen, but it was in the works for 200 years. There was no way for Jamie to be deterred. His "Pergatory", and his "Redemption", Claire.

Replies:

• Can someone tell me where there is a description .... -- M&M, 11:06:52 05/09/14 Fri
    ... of Jamie's ring his father gave to him? Just curious what it looks like.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, May 9, 2014 -- LisaW, 20:45:26 05/08/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1 "HAPPY THE BRIDE THE SUN SHINES ON". Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" I WOKE TO THE PATTER OF RAIN on canvas, with the feel of my
    first husband's kiss on my lips. I blinked, disoriented, and by reflex put my
    fingers to my mouth. To keep the feeling, or to hide it? I wondered, even
    as I did so.
       Jamie stirred and murmured in his sleep next to me, his movement rousing a
    fresh wave of scent from the cedar branches under our bottom quilt. Perhaps
    the ghost's passing had disturbed him. I frowned at the empty air outside our
    lean-to.
       Go away, Frank, I thought sternly. "

Well, in honor of Thursday's great news about the start date and the new picture for the series, since you can only see Frank's hand, I thought this would be an appropriate quote.
    August 9th @ 9pm on starz

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, May 8, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:05:24 05/07/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 33 "Midsummer's Eve". Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "When I said I was thinking of my father, I was thinking of
    him from what I knew of him--pictures of him in his airman's
    kit, or with my mother. The thing is ... I was born by that time.
    Do you see?" He searched her small, round face, and saw her
    blink slowly, comprehending. Her breath left her in a small sigh,
    of fear and wonder mingled.
       "Ye didna only meet your Da, then, did ye?" she asked quietly.
       He shook his head, wordless. No sight, no sound or smell or
    touch. There were no images at all to convey what it had been like
    to meet himself. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, May 7, 2014 -- LisaW, 19:27:52 05/06/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 28 "Amplexus" Copyright© 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "They take people," he corrected. "Lure them. Take them
    back into the rocks, down to their ain world. Sometimes"--he
    cleared his throat--"sometimes, the stolen ones come back. But
    they come back two hundred years later. And all--all they knew
    and loved--are dead."
       "How terrible," John said quietly. He could hear Fraser's
    breathing, heavy, like a man struggling against tears, and won-
    dered why this aspect of the tale should move him so. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, May 6, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:58:47 05/05/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 29 "ONE-THIRD OF A GOAT". Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" An icy ripple ran straight up my spine, and Jamie jerked,
    head snapping round to look at the darkened house. The fire
    had gone out, and no one had thought to close the open door;
    it gaped like an empty eye socket.
       "She who?" Jamie asked, a noticeable edge in his voice.
       "Mary Ann," Mrs. Beardsley answered. "She was the latht
    one." There was no emphasis whatever in her voice; she
    sounded like a sleepwalker.
       "The last what?" I asked.
       "The latht wife," she replied, and picked up her reins. "She
    thtands under the rowan tree at moonrithe." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, May 5, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:05:01 05/04/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 38 "I Meet a Lawyer". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "I saw ye, ye ken," she said, still looking off into some unseeable distance.
    "When he wed Laoghaire, and them standing by the altar--ye were there wi'
    them, standing at his left hand, betwixt him and Laoghaire. And I kent that
    meant ye would take him back."
       The hair prickled slightly on the nape of my neck. She shook her head
    slowly, and I saw she had gone pale with the memory. She sat down on a
    barrel, the cloak spreading out around her like a flower.
       "I'm not one of those born wi' the Sight, nor one who has it regular. I've
    never had it before, and hope never to have it again. But I saw ye there, as
    clear as I see ye now, and it scairt me so that I had to leave the room, right in
    the midst o' the vows." She swallowed, looking at me directly. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, May 4, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:09:12 05/03/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1 "A Hanging in Eden". Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "Aye, he was afraid of being alone in the dark," Duncan
    chimed in. "He was most mortally scairt of tannagach--of spirits,
    aye?"
       His long, mournful face bore an inward look, and I knew he
    was seeing in memory the prison cell that he and Jamie had
    shared with Gavin Hayes--and with forty other men--for three
    long years. "D'ye recall, Mac Dubh, how he told us one night of
    the tannasq he met?"
       "I do, Duncan, and could wish I did not." Jamie shuddered
    despite the heat. "I kept awake myself half the night after he told
    us that one." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, May 3, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 15:56:37 05/02/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 84, THE RIGHT OF IT, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Where d’ye think his is now?” Jenny said suddenly. “Ian, I mean.”

He glanced at the house, then at the new grave waiting, but of course that wasn’t Ian anymore. He was panicked for a moment, his earlier emptiness returning---but then it came to him, and, without surprise, he knew what it was Ian had said to him.

”On your right, man.” On his right. Guarding his weak side.

“He’s just here,” he said to Jenny, nodding to the spot between them. “Where he belongs.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, May 2, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 18:34:25 05/01/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 31, A GUIDED TOUR THROUGH THE CHAMBERS OF THE HEART, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“That means,” I emphasized, stabbing the needle into his flesh, with sufficient force that he yelped, “you must not use your right arm for at least the next forty-eight hours. You must not haul on ropes, you must not climb rigging, you must not punch people, you must not so much as scratch your arse with your right hand, do you hear me?”

“I expect the whole ship hears ye,” he muttered, but glanced down his cheek, trying to see his collarbone. “I generally scratch my arse wi’ my left hand, anyway.”

This may end up being posted twice as the first one has not shown up yet.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, May 1, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:19:12 04/30/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 30, SHIPS THAT PASS IN THE NIGHT, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“He’s dead, ken,” Jamie said quietly. He turned his head to look at me, eyes steady. “Louis.”

“Is he?” I said blankly. “I . . . when?”

He ducked his head and made a small noise that might have been a laugh.

“He died three years ago, Sassenach,” he said dryly. “It was in the papers. Though I grant ye, the Wilmington Gazette dinna make a great deal of the matter.”

Happy Birthday Dear Jamie!

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, April 30, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:15:03 04/29/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 68, DESPOILER, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“I want to unlace the neck o’ your shift,” he whispered, “and suckle your breasts until ye curl up like a wee shrimp, wi’ your knees in my balls. Then take ye fast and hard, and fall asleep wi’ my head pillowed on your naked breasts. Really,” he added, straightening up.

“”Oh,” I said. “What a good idea.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, April 29, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:21:45 04/28/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 19, AE FOND KISS , Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Listen to me,” he said, low and fierce. “I have loved three women. One was a witch and a whore, the second only a whore. Ye well may be a witch yourself, but it makes nay whit o’difference. The love of you has led me to my salvation, and to what I thought was my peace, once I thought ye dead.”

He stared at me and shook his head slowly, his mouth going tight for a moment in the seam of his beard.

“And here you are.”

“Er . . . yes.” I felt once more as though I should apologize for not being dead, but didn’t.

“I shall have no peace while ye live, woman.”

Replies:

• Only 3 more weeks.......... -- Judie, 20:08:08 04/27/14 Sun
    Then I need more quoters. :D

Give me a shout! :)

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, April 28, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:14:09 04/27/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 12, ENOUGH, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

Lord, he’d said. Let me be enough.That prayer had lodged in my heart like an arrow when I’d heard it and thought he asked for help in doing what had to be done. But that wasn’t what he’d meant at all----and the realization of what he had meant split my heart in two.

I took his face between my hands, and wished so much that I had his own gift, the ability to say what lay in my heart, in such a way that he would know. But, I hadn’t.

“Jamie,” I said at last. “Oh, Jamie. You’re . . . everything. Always.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April 27, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:28:04 04/26/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 12, ENOUGH, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“It’s not—don’t worry, I’m . . . He’s only a cat,” I said, and a small fresh grief tightened like a band round my chest.

“Aye, I know.” He moved beside me and put an arm round my shoulders, pulling my head to his chest, while he gently wiped my face. “But ye couldna weep for the bairns. Or the house. Or your wee garden. Or the poor dead lass and her bairn. But if ye weep for your cheetie, ye know ye can stop.”

“How do you know that?” My voice was thick, but the band round my chest was not quite so tight.

He made a small, rueful sound.

“Because I canna weep for those things, either, Sassenach. And I havena got a cat.”

No special theme this week. I am just including some of the wonderful lines that I had forgotten about from An Echo in the Bone.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, April 26, 2014 -- CarolSR, 13:42:02 04/25/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 86 Valley Forge. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Yet surely no two men could look so alike who did not share blood in some close degree. She had seen James Fraser many times and admired him for his tall, straight dignity, thrilling a bit at the fierceness in his face, always feeling that niggle of recognition when she saw him-but it wasn’t until William suddenly stepped out before her at the camp that she realized why. Yet how could an English lord be in any way related to a Scottish Jacobite, a pardoned criminal? For Ian had told her something of his own family history-though not enough; not nearly enough.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, April 25, 2014 -- CarolSR (:(), 14:21:22 04/24/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 89 Ink Stained Wretch. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“My dearest Claire,

Ian is dead. It has been ten days since the Event, and I thought I should now be able to write calmly. Yet to see those Words written on the Page just now smote me with the most unexpected Grief. Tears are running down the sides of my Nose, and I was forced to stop to mop my Face with a Handkerchief before continuing. It was not an easy Death and I should be relieved that Ian is now at Peace, and glad for his Translation into Heaven. So I am. But I am also desolate, in a Way that I have never been before. Only the Thought of being able to confide in you, my Soul, gives me Comfort.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, April 24, 2014 -- CarolSR, 14:48:35 04/23/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 82 Dispositions. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

YOUNG IAN SUFFERING THE LOSS OF HIS DA, AND HIS DAUGHTER

“His own pebble was still in his other hand; he couldn’t quite bring himself to lay it down. Tears were running down his face, and his mother’s hand was on his arm.

“It’s all right, mo duine” she said softly. “Go to your young woman. Ye’ll always be here wi’ us.”

The steam of his tears rose like the smoke of incense from his heart, and he laid the pebble gently on his daughter’s grave. Safe among his family.

It wasn’t until many days later, in the middle of the ocean, that he realized his mother had called him a man.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, April 23, 2014 -- CarolSR, 14:44:31 04/22/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 11 Transverse Lie. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He closed his eyes and slowed himself, lowered himself onto her so her body strained and rose along his length, the cloth of their clothes rasping and bunching up between them. He got a hand down under her, cupped her bare bum, and slid his fingers into the straining warm crease of her buttocks. Slid one a little farther, and she gasped. Her hips rose, trying to get away, but he laughed deep in this throat and didn’t let her. Wiggled the finger.

“Do that again,” he whispered in her ear. “Make that noise again for me.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, April 22, 2014 -- CarolSR, 14:16:17 04/21/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13 Unrest. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He’d watched her close for several days, seeing her arse round and solid, the dark shadow of her red-haired quim under the thin muslin of her shift when she went to bathe, imagining the thrill of seeing it plain on the night when she’d lie down and open her legs for him.

What was he doing? He couldn’t be thinking of Brianna like that, not lying a dozen feet from her father!

He grimaced and squinched his eyes tight shut, hand slowing as he summoned up a different image from his private library. Not the witch-not tonight.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, April 21, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:44:36 04/20/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13 Unrest. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“A suck of breath and a sound not quite a moan from his uncle-he did that when she put her mouth on his nipple; Ian had seen her do it once or twice, by the glow of embers from the cabin’s hearth, her eyes closed, a quick wet gleam of teeth, and her hair falling back from naked shoulders in a cloud of light and shadow.

He put a hand on his cock, tempted. He had a private collection of images that he cherished for the purpose-and not a few of them were of his cousin, though it shamed him a little. She was Roger Mac’s wife, after all.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April 20, 2014 -- CarolSR, 19:36:17 04/19/14 Sat
    With re-reads underway and MOHB just around the corner, thought we could look back on some scenes from An Echo in the Bone.

The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 4 Not Yet Awhile. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Ye kent already what I mean to do, surely?”

“Yes,” I said with a sigh. “Occasionally I have the vain hope that I’m wrong about you-but I never am.”

That made him laugh outright.

“No, ye’re not,” he agreed. “But ye’re still here, aye?” He lifted the flask in salute to me, and drank from it. “Good to know someone will miss me, when I fall.”

“I did not miss that ‘when,’ rather than ‘if,’ I said coldly.

“It’s always been ‘when’ Sassenach,” he said gently. “Every chapter must be so translated. Aye?”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, April 19, 2014 -- Cindy G, 21:22:38 04/18/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 103, The Hour of the Wolf. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'Thee is a wolf, too, and I know it. But thee is my wolf, and best thee know that.'

He'd started to burn when she spoke, an ignition swift and fierce as the lighting of one of his cousin's matches. He put out his hand, palm forward, to her, still cautious lest she, too, burst into flame.

'What I said to ye, before. . .that I kent ye loved me--'

She stepped forward and pressed her palm to his, her small, cool fingers linking tight.

'What I say to thee now is that I do love thee. And if thee hunts at night, thee will come home.'

Under the sycamore, the dog yawned and laid his muzzle on his paws.

'And sleep at thy feet,' Ian whispered, and gathered her in with his one good arm, both of them blazing bright as day."

Thank you, ladies, for another opportunity to share quotes with you. June 10 cannot come soon enough for me (53 more days!) to find out the resolution to these stories.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, April 18, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:40:30 04/17/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 101, Redivivus. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"He took a deep breath, shut his eyes, and commended his soul to God.

'I have had carnal knowledge of your wife,' he blurted.

He had expected to die more or less instantaneously upon this utterance, but everything continued just as usual. Birds continued chirping in the trees, and the rip and slobber of the horses champing grass was the only sound above that of the rushing water. He opened one eye to find Jamie Fraser standing there regarding him, head to one side.

'Oh?' said Jamie curiously. 'Why?'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, April 17, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:49:13 04/16/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 102, Bred in the Bone. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Something moved; a shadow fell across the floor of the hall below. A small, dark figure walked slowly in through the open doorway. Putting back the hood of her cloak, Jennie Fraser Murray looked round at the devastation, then up at me, her face a pale oval glimmering with humor.

'Like father, like son, I see,' she remarked. 'God help us all.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, April 16, 2014 -- CindyG, 22:07:23 04/15/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 95, Numbness. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'Oh. I do apologize.'

'You do? For what?' I arched one brow. I could think of a number of things he might apologize for, but probably none of those was what he had in mind.

I am afraid I was perhaps not . . .' he hesitated. 'Very gentlemanly.'

'Oh, you weren't,' I said, rather tartly. 'But I assure you that I wasn't being at all ladylike myself.'

He looked at me, and his mouth worked a bit, as though trying to frame some response to that, but after a moment or two he shook his head and gave it up.

'Besides, it wasn't me you were making love to,' I said, 'and both of us know it.'

He looked up, startled, his eyes very blue. Then the shadow of a smile crossed his face, and he looked down at the quilted coverlet.

'No,' he said softly, 'Nor were you making love to me, were you?'

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, April 15, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:54:54 04/14/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 102, Bred in the Bone. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"And, whirling on his heel, he drove his fist through the paneling with a thud that shook the room, wrenched his hand out of the hole he'd made, and stormed out. I heard crunching and rending as he paused to kick out several of the balusters on the landing and rip a length of the stair railing off, and I made it to the door in time to see him draw back a four-foot chunk of wood over his shoulder, swing, and strike the crystal chandelier that hung over the stairwell in an explosion of shattering glass. For a moment, he teetered on the open edge of the landing and I thought he would fall, or hurl himself off, but he staggered back from the edge and threw the chunk of wood like a javelin at the remnant of the chandelier with a burst of breath that might have been a grunt or a sob.

Then he rushed headlong down the stairs, thumping his wounded fist at intervals against the wall, where it left bloody smudges. He hit the front door with his shoulder, rebounded, jerked it open, and went out like a locomotive,"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, April 14, 2014 -- CindyG, 23:06:31 04/13/14 Sun
    The following quote is from An Echo In The Bone, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 90, Armed with Diamonds and with Steel. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'I love you,' he said softly, and took her by the shoulders, holding her together long enough to say the rest. ' I'll bring him back. Believe me, Bree -- I'll see you again. In this world.'

'I love you,' she'd said, or tried to. It came out as a soundless whisper against his mouth, but he took it, along with her breath, smiled, gripped her shoulders so hard that she would find bruises there later -- and opened the door.

She'd watched them -- she couldn't help watching them -- as they climbed toward the top of the hill, toward the invisible stones, until they disappeared, out of her sight. Perhaps it was imagination; perhaps she really could hear the stones up there: a weird buzzing song that lived in her bones, a memory that would live there forever. Trembling and tear-blinded, she drove home. Carefully, carefully. Because now she was all that Mandy had."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April 13, 2014 -- CindyG, 10:13:43 04/13/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 96, Firefly. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Where did it go? He pushed the lever a little more, and air moved past his face. He sniffed at it, but it didn't tell him anything. He was going away from the big doors, though -- away from Mr. Cameron.

Maybe Mr. Cameron would go and try to find out about the stones from Mam or Da? Jem hoped he would. Da would settle Mr. Cameron's hash, he felt that for sure, and the thought warmed him. Then they'd come and find him and it would be OK. He wondered if Mandy could tell them where he was. She kent him the same way he kent her, and he looked at the little red light on the train. It glowed like Mandy, steady and warm-looking, and he felt good looking at it. He pushed the lever a little farther, and the train went faster into the dark."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, April 12, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:47:10 04/12/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 49, “Blessed Are Those…” Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“One man, a Fraser of the Master of Lovat’s regiment, escaped…” Roger repeated softly. He looked up from the stark page to see her eyes, wide and unseeing as a deer’s fixed in the headlights of an oncoming car.
    “He meant to die on Culloden Field,” Roger whispered. “But he didn’t.”

Dreams, family, loyalty, desire, hatred, grief, and hope. All were touched on this week. Thank you for reading with me!

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, April 11, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:54:33 04/11/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 43, Falkirk. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Weel, grieve for me and ye will, Dougal,” he said, when he’d finished. “And I’m glad for it. But ye canna grieve ‘til I be deid, can ye? I would die by your hand, mo caraidh, not in the hands of the strangers.”
    Dougal jerked, and Jamie and I exchanged appalled glances behind his back.
    “Rupert…” Dougal began helplessly, but Rupert interrupted him, clasping his hand and shaking it gently.
    “You are my chief, man, and it’s your duty,” he whispered. “Come now. Do it now. This dying hurts me, Dougal, and I would have it over.”

So many heartbreaking things in this book. This was one I have never forgotten.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, April 10, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:38:34 04/10/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 36, Prestonpans. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I owe you my life,” he said formally. “I should greatly prefer not to, but since you have forced the gift upon me, I must regard it as a debt of honor. I shall hope to discharge that debt in the future, and once it is discharged…” The boy’s voice shook slightly with suppressed hatred, losing all its assumed formality in the utter sincerity of his feelings “…I’ll kill you.”

A sixteen-year old Lord John, before the wisdom of age and familiarity of circumstances turned hatred into something completely different.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, April 9, 2014 -- MiladyM, 04:15:53 04/09/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 17, Possession. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Sometimes I want to ride you like a wild horse, and bring you to the taming – did you know that? I can do it, you know I can. Drag you over the edge and drain you to a gasping husk. I can drive you to the edge of collapse and sometimes I delight in it, Jamie, I do! And yet so often I want” – my voice broke suddenly and I had to swallow hard before continuing – “I want…to hold your head against my breast and cradle you like a child and comfort you to sleep.”

Amen, sistah!

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, April 8, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:36:45 04/08/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 19, An Oath is Sworn. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I swore ye my oath, Jamie Fraser, when ye were no more than a week old, and a bonny lad at your mother’s breast.”
    I could feel the tiny start of astonishment as Jamie’s eyes opened wide.
    “I knelt at Ellen’s feet, as I kneel now by yours,” the little clansman went on, narrow chin held high. “And I swore to her by the name o’ the threefold God, that I would follow ye always, to do your bidding, and guard your back, when ye became a man grown, and needing such service.”

And so he did. I wish we all could have our own Murtagh, or, better yet, one for our children.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, April 7, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:16:07 04/07/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 5, Beloved Wife. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ ’JAMES ALEXANDER MALCOLM MACKENZIE FRASER,’ ” she read aloud. “Yes, I know him.” Her hand dropped lower, brushing back the grass that grew thickly about the stone, obscuring the line of smaller letters at its base.
    “ ‘Beloved husband of Claire,’ “ she read.
    “Yes, I knew him,” she said again, so softly Roger could scarcely hear her. “I’m Claire. He was my husband.” She looked up then, into the face of her daughter, white and shocked above her. “And your father,” she said.

Whoo boy, I remember thinking to myself, this is gonna be good.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April 6, 2014 -- MiladyM, 04:07:21 04/06/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Prologue. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The third time I woke alone, beyond the touch of love or grief. The sight of the stones was fresh in my mind. A small circle, standing stones on the crest of a steep green hill. The name of the hill is Craig na Dun; the fairies’ hill. Some say the hill is enchanted, others say it is cursed. Both are right. But no one knows the function or the purpose of the stones.
    Except me.

Dragonfly in Amber was the first of the books I found, and holds a special place in my heart. I was hooked as soon as I read this prologue.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, April 5, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 06:37:28 04/05/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 31 Quarter Day copyright (c) 1991, by
    Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

"Aren't they lovely?" I said. "Jenny said they were her mother's."
    Murtagh's eyes dropped to the bowl of parritch that Mrs. Crook had thrust uncermoniously under his nose.
    "They suit ye," he mumbled.

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Friday, April 4, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 02:26:48 04/04/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 40, Absolution copyright (c) 1991 by
    Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

I stormed into the hall and slammed the door behind me, just before the porcelain washbasin crashed into it from the other side. I turned to find an interested audience, no doubt attracted by the racket, standing in the hall. Brother Roger and Murtagh stood side by side, staring at my flushed face and heaving bosom. Roger looked disconcerted, but a slow smile spread over Murtagh's craggy countenance as he listeded to the string of Gaelic obscenities going on behind the door.
    "He's feeling better, then," he said contentedly. I leaned against the corridor wall, and felt an answering smile spread slowly across my own face.
    "Well, yes," I said, he is."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, April 3, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 03:25:25 04/03/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander, by Diana
    Gabaldon, Chapter 34, Dougal's Story Copyright (c) 1991
    by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

"Well, you took your bloody time about it," I said
    crossly.
    A look of incredulous shock spread across his features
    before he realized that I was looking beyond him, toward
    the cave mouth.
    "It didna seem mannerly to interrupt," said Murtagh, advancing into the cave behind a loaded pair of flintlock pistols. He held one trained on Dougal using the other to gesture with.
    "Unless ye mean to accept that last proposal here and now, I'd suggest ye leave. And if ue do mean to accept it, then I'll leave.

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Wednesday, April 2, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 19:45:06 04/01/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander, by
    Diana Gabaldon Chapter 15 Revelations of the Bridal Chamber

I want to ask ye something," he said, running a hand down the length of my back.
    "What's that?"
    "Did ye like it?" he said, a little shyly.
    "Yes, I did." I said, quite honestly.
    "Oh. I thought ye did, though Murtagh told me that women generally do not care for it, so I should finish as soon as I could."
    "What would Murtagh know about it?" I said indignantly. "The slower the better, as far as most women are concerned." Jamie chuckled again.

This is about as close to a hump day with Murtagh in it as I
    could come......

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, April 1, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 03:31:24 04/01/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana
    Gabaldon, Chapter 31, Quarter Day Copyright (c)1991
    by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved

From Outlander by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 31 Quarter Day

Jenny handed him a large cloth sack, tied in a knot at the mouth, and plainly holding enough provisions for a week.

"A wee bite for the journey home," she said, dimpling at him. "Might last ye at least out of sight o' the house."

He tucked the knot of the sack snugly into his belt and nodded briefly,turning toward the door.
    "Aye," he said, "and if not, ye'll see the corbies gatherin' just beyond the rise, come to pick my bones."

I think the reason I am so fond of Murtaugh is he is a man of few words but always there, a constant, much like the
    men in my life I love.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, March 31, 2014, Lady Elizabeth -- Lady Elizabeth, 18:48:56 03/30/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana
    Gabaldon, Chapter 34, Dougal's Story Copywrite (c)1991
    by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved

He shifted about in the saddle before ansering. No natural horseman, he always looked like a monkey trained to ride a horse, but still managed to dismount fresh as a daisy at day's end, while I could barely manage to hobble my
    horse before staggering to collapse.

My father-in-law, Murtaugh like could also work hard all day and be fresh as a daisy at the end. Being 40 years older than me and DH and putting us to shame.
    We would often hobble away to nurse our aching muscles while he finished up one more thing.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, March 30, 2014 Lady Elizabeth -- Lady Elizabeth, 01:51:57 03/30/14 Sun
    Murtaugh always reminds me of my dear father-in-law. He was also short in statue and had knotted muscles in his arms. They were truly beautiful to look at even when he was in his 60's. I commented on them one day as we settled on
    the front porch after a hardday doing hay. Also a man of few words, he told me how when he was youngerand working in the steel mill in Buffalo, an art teacher approached him and asked him to be a model. He had to sit shirtless while lass after lass examined his arms and then drew him for an hour. His expression while he was telling me was a grand cross between pride and bashfulness.

From Outlander copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 3 The Man in the Wood

"And who the hell are you?" I said in astonishment. My rescuer, if I cared to call him that, was some inches shorter than I and sparely built, but the bare arms
    protruding from the ragged shirt were knotted with muscle and his whole frame gave the impression of being made of some resilient material such as bedsprings.
    No beauty, either, with a pockmarked skin, low brow, and narrow jaw.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, March 29th, 2014 -- Betsy Barefoospinner, 07:42:27 03/29/14 Sat
    Good Morning, My Lallyfriends!

I am later than normal today. I hope that doesn't inconvenience anyone. For the first time in MONTHS, I slept. Usually, as of late, I have risen for the day by 3AM or so. Sometimes, much to my chagrin, it's been known to be 2AM. This morning I slept until 8:15. Unbelievable. I could even go BACK to sleep if I had the time. However, everything on my agenda has been pushed back and it will take me all day to get caught up. Every pleasure has it's price.

This is the last day of my QOTD week. Thank you, All, for allowing me to start my days talking with some Dear Dear people. I can think of little else (not counting the blessed intimacy between Lovers...) that can feed my soul so well as to begin my day surrounded by Friends. Thank you again, Lally People. You've indulged me by allowing me to ramble on.

"I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch," Gilda Radner. I love Gilda Radner. Always have. No fancy high-handed twaddle from Gilda. She is what she is (rather, she was what she was. The Lass is dead.) I wonder what SHE would have worn on the Red Carpet? How long would it have taken her to dress and adorn herself to have the media in her face ready to plaster the image of Gilda's Authentic Self across all the tabloids of Hollywood? She was so true to herself. Fearless. Real. Uncompromised.

That is sort of what I had in mind as a theme this week. I love that DG imbues not just the major characters but the minor ones as well with such strong personalities. Especially the women. Most of DG's women are Stand Alone characters; her women are fearless, real, uncompromised, resourceful, and fascinating. I've taken a small slice of the Outlander Book's female characters, some major players, some quite minor, if there is such a thing, but all IMHO strong fearless women. Some of these women live lives that would do me in. I can see myself rolled into a tight ball, arms banded around my body keeping out as much reality as possible, keeping in all the emotions that threaten to explode and scatter my personal shrapnel into the Universe. These women are strong, determined, survivors. There are so many of these women in the Books it was difficult to decide who to use. DG is definitely attracted to strong women. Even the unsavory women are larger than life. I would love to "see" where some of them end up later in the tale. DG is great about allowing us brief glimpses of some of them here and there throughout the story.

Here's to Wonder Women!!!-those we meet in the Books and those who live their lives next door to us. Here's to those who stare back at us from the bathroom mirror each morning. Here's to Us as we try to live our lives with Power, Courage, Honesty, Uncompromising of our values, all tempered by Love.

The above ramblings actually MAY have something to do with QOTD. I hadn't planned it, but there you have it.

The following quote is taken from "The Fiery Cross", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 9, Germ of Dissent. Copyright (c) 2002 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Joan Findlay's two sons had come; they stood by their mother, sturdy lads of sixteen and seventeen, regarding Roger with cautious curiosity."
    "'This will be Hugh,' she said, reaching up to put a hand on one shoulder, then the other, 'and Iain Og.'"
    "Roger inclined his head courteously."
    "'Your servant, gentlemen.'"
    "The boys exchanged glances with each other, then looked at their feet, smothering grins."
    "'So, CAPTAIN MacKenzie.' Joan Findlay's voice came down hard on the word. 'If I lend ye my sons, will ye promise me, then, to send them safe home?'"
    "The woman's hazel eyes were as bright and intelligent as her brother's- and as unflinching. He braced himself not to look away."
    "'So far as it lies in my power, ma'am- I will see them safe.'"
    "The edge of her mouth lifted slightly; she knew quite well what was in his power and what was not. She nodded, though, and her hands dropped to her sides."
    "'They'll come.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, March 28, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 04:38:46 03/28/14 Fri
    Hello, Lallygabbers!
    I just love this time of day! I do wish I could sleep but since I can't, it's worth it to appreciate the beauty of a different time of day, or night as the case may be. I worked nights for years and years so I know what it is to be awake at 4AM but being awake and working hard to get your work done before the next shift comes in at 7AM is different than being able to sit and watch the magic unfold. I rarely read the weather reports- they're more often then not wrong or at least grossly exaggerated- so I rely on looking out the window to see what's up. It's much more helpful. But just before sunrise you simply can't tell what the day will be like. It's that dove-gray sky, promising either warm sun or rain, you can't tell which yet, that allows, just for a few minutes, for some Mystery to begin the day.

My parents both lived with my family and me when they became unable to safely care for themselves. David, my DH, told me that we needed to have them with us and care for them here in our home. We built an apartment onto the house for them, attached but separate, so they could have as much privacy as we could manage but they could still be right here where we could watch them and care for them as they aged.

My father was a happy man. When he became more and more demented he remained happy. Maybe he was even MORE happy. His ability to recognize us and know who we were faded as he sunk deeper into dementia. But he remained delighted to see people who came to visit. He didn't have a clue who it was but he was totally delighted to see them. His tag line became "Well, look who's here!!!". Whoever came in was greeted with those cheerful words. He greeted absolutely EVERYTHING with Well, look who's here. He didn't know you anymore, didn't even know who I was, but it was good. All good. No matter what.

Recently I was facing some painfully difficult times that were terrifying for me. I honestly didn't see how I would or could cope. Then I saw my father, gone now, greeting every person, every event, with Well, look who's here! and I decided that I would adopt that attitude. I would especially greet my fears and my terror with Well, look who's here. I would welcome the fear. I would invite the fear and uncertainty in, shake their hands, welcome them, and sit with them in gratitude. I would not become paralyzed by the terror of the known and the unknown because I had welcomed them in and sat them down by the hearth in a comfy chair and I sat by their side so I could learn just what this Fear and Terror was. I would treat them as precious parts of myself and face them with gratitude and faith. I would ask for the help of my Guardians, my Angels, and then I WOULD ACCEPT THEIR HELP WITHOUT TELLING THEM JUST HOW TO DO THEIR JOB! I reminded myself many many many times a day that I was not alone, if I chose to acknowledge the help I had asked for. I practiced mindfulness frequently during each day and did Yoga to stay focused. And so far it has all worked. And the bulk of the situation that had me paralyzed (emotionally, spiritually, and even physically) has resolved without all my frantic negative energy. I did nothing but change my attitude. Well, look who's here! Who/whatever it is, is Good.

This has nothing at all to do with today's quote.

The following quote is taken from Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 4, I Come to the Castle. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'Claire,' he said, with a brief tilt of his head toward me. 'And Mistress Fitzgibbons,' he added, with a tilt the other way. 'Murtagh found her yesterday, and Dougal said we must bring her along wi' us,' he added, making it clear it was no good blaming HIM."
    "Mistress Fitzgibbons closed her mouth and looked me up and down with an air of shrewd evaluation. Apparently she decided that I looked harmless enough, despite my odd and scandalous appearance, for she smiled-kindly, despite several missing teeth- and took me by the arm."
    '"Well then, Claire. Welcome to ye. Come wi' me and we shall find ye somethin' a bit more...mmm.' She looked over my short skirt and inadequate shoes, shaking her head."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, March 26th, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 04:21:11 03/26/14 Wed
    Good Morning (or Evening, or Afternoon...which ever is appropriate), Lallypeople!

Looking out the window, the sky is a light grey, that shade that can either bloom into beautiful blue or blessed rain. I love this time of day! There's time to do whatever feeds my soul. The house is still asleep, the animals aren't squawking to be let out, and I can just sink into the dawn of the day.

It's Wednesday. Halfway through the week already. How did that happen? I try not to look at the passage of time but rather bask in the moment, concentrating on the feel of my breath, the awareness of what IS right now, the sensations of the moment. I can do that during this alone time. As soon as the household awakens, my awareness changes to persuading this three year old to Eat your breakfast please. Yes, you do too like oatmeal. You've eaten it for the past ten months. Please put these undies on. Not on your head. Yes, put your legs through and pull them up. Are you trying to drive your Gummy (that's me. My grandchildren and assorted friends call me Gummy. Don't ask. No, it's not about teeth) crazy??? And the giggled "yes-teeheehee" sets the stage for a crazy but delightful day.

Do any of you raise angora rabbits? Well, I have one. He needs grooming and to have his bunny wool harvested. I've managed the front half of his body but I haven't persuaded him that he really DOES want the back end done. He's a house bunny, which means he hops about our upstairs at random. Did you know you can litter train a rabbit? You can. It's pretty easy. Food goes I one end and pellets come out the other, pretty much at the same time. All you need to do is feed the bunny in a clean litter box and Bob's your Uncle! Your bunny is litter trained! Well, my poor angora bunny is half-plucked and half poofed. He looks like something out of Star Wars, the bar scene. That's my mission today. Pluck bunny so he looks normal. Bald, but normal. We'll see. There are many days I don't even get to THINK about my own plans again. My life has been derailed by this wee girl-child. I really didn't think that at sixty two I'd be parenting a three year old. I'm no where near as organized as I was when my children were young, and there were four of them! It takes me all day to get done what I used to accomplish in a couple of hours. I'm so exhausted at the end of the day I can hardly remember my name, let alone what I actually DID that day. But I laugh more, I sit more, reading Dr. Seuss, I color more, I cut and paste with actual scissors and glue, I have glitter EVERYWHERE (did you know that glitter can actually adhere to a hardwood floor? It can and it has), I spend huge chunks of time dressed in old ballet costumes dancing to Let it Go from Frozen at LEAST 150 times/day. David walks around singing Shut it Off, shut it OFFFF, but she doesn't and we dance and dance. My house is a wreck, the laundry is never folded, my dust bunnies are now considered pets, and I make macaroni and cheese (from a BOX!!!! I never in my LIFE made mac and cheese from a BOX before!!! I do jazz it up with extra real cheese, but still....from a BOX?? I was a chef in another life. This is very hard for me to accept) at least five times a week and I've traded reading the newspaper for posting pictures on Facebook so Jailyn's Mama can see her and what she's doing as she counts the days left of her deployment. Life is good!!! I hope all is well in the world because I won't know otherwise for at least a week and a half.

This in no way has anything to do with QOTD but it does me some good to actually write a full sentence without having to explain why we can't pick the tops off the plants in our indoor garden.

The following quote is taken from 'Voyager" by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 46, We Meet a Porpoise. Copyright (c)1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"She pushed out her lips, thinking, then pulled them in again. "Well, because of Fergus. We havena lain together yet. We have not been able to do more than kiss each other now and again behind the hatch covers- thanks to Da and his bloody-minded notions,' she added bitterly."
    "'Amen," I said, with some wryness."
    "'Eh?'"
    "'Never mind.' I waved a hand, dismissing it. 'What has that got to do with not wanting babies?'"
    "'I want to like it,' she said matter-of-factly. "When we get to the prick part.'"

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, January 4, 2014 -- CarolSR, 13:31:23 01/03/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 35 Hogmanay Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Then I heard the sound of footsteps on the porch, and a rapid knock, one-two-three. Jamie, as householder, stepped forward to fling the door open and bid the firstfoot welcome. I was near enough to see the look of astonishment on his face, and looked quickly to see what had caused it.
    Instead of Roger and Brianna, two smaller figures stood on the porch. Skinny and bedraggled, but definitely dark-haired, the two Beardsley twins stepped shyly in together, at Jamie’s gesture.
    “A happy new Year to you, Mr. Fraser” said Josiah, in a bullfrog croak. He bowed politely to me, still holding his brother by the arm. “We’ve come.”
    The general agreement was that dark-haired twins were a most fortunate omen, obviously bringing twice the luck of a single firstfoot.”

WISHING YOU ALL TWICE THE LUCK IN 2014!

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of August 31 - Lady Stormwing
    Week of September 7 -
    Week of September 14 - BrandyC
    Week of September 21 - LeeR
    Week of September 28 - CathyS
    Week of October 5 -
    Week of October 12 -
    Week of October 19 - LaurieS
    Week of October 26 -
    Week of November 2 -
    Week of November 9 -
    Week of November 16 -
    Week of November 23 -
    Week of November 30 -

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.