Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums

Thursday, April 17, 06:19:40amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions.

Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.

When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.

PLEASE NOTE - PLEASE NOTE - PLEASE NOTE!
Be forewarned that the book discussions encompass Diana's PUBLISHED BOOKS!
If you have not yet read the first 7 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones,
ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
You do not need to register to read the messages. Be aware that it is possible that you may come across spoilers.

Herself also has a blog. You can read and comment, if you'd like, at: Diana Gabaldon's Blog.

To catch up on recorded interviews and/or appearances by our favorite author,
check out her YouTube channel by clicking: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Books BoardSocial BoardBroch TalkWelcome Board
Lallybroch KirkLiterary ForumReading Recommendations BoardPolls & Surveys Board
Joke BoardHTML Practice Board Outside Outlander
Scotland Travel TipsLadies of Lallybroch Home PageLadies of Lallybroch Frequently Asked QuestionsDiana Gabaldon Home Page

Discussion Board for New Releases is HERE.

Contact Forum Admin

• QOTD for Thursday, April 17, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:49:13 04/16/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 102, Bred in the Bone. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Something moved; a shadow fell across the floor of the hall below. A small, dark figure walked slowly in through the open doorway. Putting back the hood of her cloak, Jennie Fraser Murray looked round at the devastation, then up at me, her face a pale oval glimmering with humor.

'Like father, like son, I see,' she remarked. 'God help us all.'"

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, April 16, 2014 -- CindyG, 22:07:23 04/15/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 95, Numbness. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'Oh. I do apologize.'

'You do? For what?' I arched one brow. I could think of a number of things he might apologize for, but probably none of those was what he had in mind.

I am afraid I was perhaps not . . .' he hesitated. 'Very gentlemanly.'

'Oh, you weren't,' I said, rather tartly. 'But I assure you that I wasn't being at all ladylike myself.'

He looked at me, and his mouth worked a bit, as though trying to frame some response to that, but after a moment or two he shook his head and gave it up.

'Besides, it wasn't me you were making love to,' I said, 'and both of us know it.'

He looked up, startled, his eyes very blue. Then the shadow of a smile crossed his face, and he looked down at the quilted coverlet.

'No,' he said softly, 'Nor were you making love to me, were you?'

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, April 15, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:54:54 04/14/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 102, Bred in the Bone. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"And, whirling on his heel, he drove his fist through the paneling with a thud that shook the room, wrenched his hand out of the hole he'd made, and stormed out. I heard crunching and rending as he paused to kick out several of the balusters on the landing and rip a length of the stair railing off, and I made it to the door in time to see him draw back a four-foot chunk of wood over his shoulder, swing, and strike the crystal chandelier that hung over the stairwell in an explosion of shattering glass. For a moment, he teetered on the open edge of the landing and I thought he would fall, or hurl himself off, but he staggered back from the edge and threw the chunk of wood like a javelin at the remnant of the chandelier with a burst of breath that might have been a grunt or a sob.

Then he rushed headlong down the stairs, thumping his wounded fist at intervals against the wall, where it left bloody smudges. He hit the front door with his shoulder, rebounded, jerked it open, and went out like a locomotive,"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, April 14, 2014 -- CindyG, 23:06:31 04/13/14 Sun
    The following quote is from An Echo In The Bone, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 90, Armed with Diamonds and with Steel. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'I love you,' he said softly, and took her by the shoulders, holding her together long enough to say the rest. ' I'll bring him back. Believe me, Bree -- I'll see you again. In this world.'

'I love you,' she'd said, or tried to. It came out as a soundless whisper against his mouth, but he took it, along with her breath, smiled, gripped her shoulders so hard that she would find bruises there later -- and opened the door.

She'd watched them -- she couldn't help watching them -- as they climbed toward the top of the hill, toward the invisible stones, until they disappeared, out of her sight. Perhaps it was imagination; perhaps she really could hear the stones up there: a weird buzzing song that lived in her bones, a memory that would live there forever. Trembling and tear-blinded, she drove home. Carefully, carefully. Because now she was all that Mandy had."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April 13, 2014 -- CindyG, 10:13:43 04/13/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 96, Firefly. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Where did it go? He pushed the lever a little more, and air moved past his face. He sniffed at it, but it didn't tell him anything. He was going away from the big doors, though -- away from Mr. Cameron.

Maybe Mr. Cameron would go and try to find out about the stones from Mam or Da? Jem hoped he would. Da would settle Mr. Cameron's hash, he felt that for sure, and the thought warmed him. Then they'd come and find him and it would be OK. He wondered if Mandy could tell them where he was. She kent him the same way he kent her, and he looked at the little red light on the train. It glowed like Mandy, steady and warm-looking, and he felt good looking at it. He pushed the lever a little farther, and the train went faster into the dark."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, April 12, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:47:10 04/12/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 49, “Blessed Are Those…” Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“One man, a Fraser of the Master of Lovat’s regiment, escaped…” Roger repeated softly. He looked up from the stark page to see her eyes, wide and unseeing as a deer’s fixed in the headlights of an oncoming car.
    “He meant to die on Culloden Field,” Roger whispered. “But he didn’t.”

Dreams, family, loyalty, desire, hatred, grief, and hope. All were touched on this week. Thank you for reading with me!

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, April 11, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:54:33 04/11/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 43, Falkirk. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Weel, grieve for me and ye will, Dougal,” he said, when he’d finished. “And I’m glad for it. But ye canna grieve ‘til I be deid, can ye? I would die by your hand, mo caraidh, not in the hands of the strangers.”
    Dougal jerked, and Jamie and I exchanged appalled glances behind his back.
    “Rupert…” Dougal began helplessly, but Rupert interrupted him, clasping his hand and shaking it gently.
    “You are my chief, man, and it’s your duty,” he whispered. “Come now. Do it now. This dying hurts me, Dougal, and I would have it over.”

So many heartbreaking things in this book. This was one I have never forgotten.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, April 10, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:38:34 04/10/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 36, Prestonpans. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I owe you my life,” he said formally. “I should greatly prefer not to, but since you have forced the gift upon me, I must regard it as a debt of honor. I shall hope to discharge that debt in the future, and once it is discharged…” The boy’s voice shook slightly with suppressed hatred, losing all its assumed formality in the utter sincerity of his feelings “…I’ll kill you.”

A sixteen-year old Lord John, before the wisdom of age and familiarity of circumstances turned hatred into something completely different.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, April 9, 2014 -- MiladyM, 04:15:53 04/09/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 17, Possession. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Sometimes I want to ride you like a wild horse, and bring you to the taming – did you know that? I can do it, you know I can. Drag you over the edge and drain you to a gasping husk. I can drive you to the edge of collapse and sometimes I delight in it, Jamie, I do! And yet so often I want” – my voice broke suddenly and I had to swallow hard before continuing – “I want…to hold your head against my breast and cradle you like a child and comfort you to sleep.”

Amen, sistah!

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, April 8, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:36:45 04/08/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 19, An Oath is Sworn. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I swore ye my oath, Jamie Fraser, when ye were no more than a week old, and a bonny lad at your mother’s breast.”
    I could feel the tiny start of astonishment as Jamie’s eyes opened wide.
    “I knelt at Ellen’s feet, as I kneel now by yours,” the little clansman went on, narrow chin held high. “And I swore to her by the name o’ the threefold God, that I would follow ye always, to do your bidding, and guard your back, when ye became a man grown, and needing such service.”

And so he did. I wish we all could have our own Murtagh, or, better yet, one for our children.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, April 7, 2014 -- MiladyM, 03:16:07 04/07/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 5, Beloved Wife. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ ’JAMES ALEXANDER MALCOLM MACKENZIE FRASER,’ ” she read aloud. “Yes, I know him.” Her hand dropped lower, brushing back the grass that grew thickly about the stone, obscuring the line of smaller letters at its base.
    “ ‘Beloved husband of Claire,’ “ she read.
    “Yes, I knew him,” she said again, so softly Roger could scarcely hear her. “I’m Claire. He was my husband.” She looked up then, into the face of her daughter, white and shocked above her. “And your father,” she said.

Whoo boy, I remember thinking to myself, this is gonna be good.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April 6, 2014 -- MiladyM, 04:07:21 04/06/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Prologue. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The third time I woke alone, beyond the touch of love or grief. The sight of the stones was fresh in my mind. A small circle, standing stones on the crest of a steep green hill. The name of the hill is Craig na Dun; the fairies’ hill. Some say the hill is enchanted, others say it is cursed. Both are right. But no one knows the function or the purpose of the stones.
    Except me.

Dragonfly in Amber was the first of the books I found, and holds a special place in my heart. I was hooked as soon as I read this prologue.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, April 5, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 06:37:28 04/05/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 31 Quarter Day copyright (c) 1991, by
    Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

"Aren't they lovely?" I said. "Jenny said they were her mother's."
    Murtagh's eyes dropped to the bowl of parritch that Mrs. Crook had thrust uncermoniously under his nose.
    "They suit ye," he mumbled.

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Friday, April 4, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 02:26:48 04/04/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 40, Absolution copyright (c) 1991 by
    Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

I stormed into the hall and slammed the door behind me, just before the porcelain washbasin crashed into it from the other side. I turned to find an interested audience, no doubt attracted by the racket, standing in the hall. Brother Roger and Murtagh stood side by side, staring at my flushed face and heaving bosom. Roger looked disconcerted, but a slow smile spread over Murtagh's craggy countenance as he listeded to the string of Gaelic obscenities going on behind the door.
    "He's feeling better, then," he said contentedly. I leaned against the corridor wall, and felt an answering smile spread slowly across my own face.
    "Well, yes," I said, he is."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, April 3, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 03:25:25 04/03/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander, by Diana
    Gabaldon, Chapter 34, Dougal's Story Copyright (c) 1991
    by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved.

"Well, you took your bloody time about it," I said
    crossly.
    A look of incredulous shock spread across his features
    before he realized that I was looking beyond him, toward
    the cave mouth.
    "It didna seem mannerly to interrupt," said Murtagh, advancing into the cave behind a loaded pair of flintlock pistols. He held one trained on Dougal using the other to gesture with.
    "Unless ye mean to accept that last proposal here and now, I'd suggest ye leave. And if ue do mean to accept it, then I'll leave.

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Wednesday, April 2, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 19:45:06 04/01/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander, by
    Diana Gabaldon Chapter 15 Revelations of the Bridal Chamber

I want to ask ye something," he said, running a hand down the length of my back.
    "What's that?"
    "Did ye like it?" he said, a little shyly.
    "Yes, I did." I said, quite honestly.
    "Oh. I thought ye did, though Murtagh told me that women generally do not care for it, so I should finish as soon as I could."
    "What would Murtagh know about it?" I said indignantly. "The slower the better, as far as most women are concerned." Jamie chuckled again.

This is about as close to a hump day with Murtagh in it as I
    could come......

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, April 1, 2014 -- Lady Elizabeth, 03:31:24 04/01/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana
    Gabaldon, Chapter 31, Quarter Day Copyright (c)1991
    by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved

From Outlander by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 31 Quarter Day

Jenny handed him a large cloth sack, tied in a knot at the mouth, and plainly holding enough provisions for a week.

"A wee bite for the journey home," she said, dimpling at him. "Might last ye at least out of sight o' the house."

He tucked the knot of the sack snugly into his belt and nodded briefly,turning toward the door.
    "Aye," he said, "and if not, ye'll see the corbies gatherin' just beyond the rise, come to pick my bones."

I think the reason I am so fond of Murtaugh is he is a man of few words but always there, a constant, much like the
    men in my life I love.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, March 31, 2014, Lady Elizabeth -- Lady Elizabeth, 18:48:56 03/30/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana
    Gabaldon, Chapter 34, Dougal's Story Copywrite (c)1991
    by Diana Gabaldon, all rights reserved

He shifted about in the saddle before ansering. No natural horseman, he always looked like a monkey trained to ride a horse, but still managed to dismount fresh as a daisy at day's end, while I could barely manage to hobble my
    horse before staggering to collapse.

My father-in-law, Murtaugh like could also work hard all day and be fresh as a daisy at the end. Being 40 years older than me and DH and putting us to shame.
    We would often hobble away to nurse our aching muscles while he finished up one more thing.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, March 30, 2014 Lady Elizabeth -- Lady Elizabeth, 01:51:57 03/30/14 Sun
    Murtaugh always reminds me of my dear father-in-law. He was also short in statue and had knotted muscles in his arms. They were truly beautiful to look at even when he was in his 60's. I commented on them one day as we settled on
    the front porch after a hardday doing hay. Also a man of few words, he told me how when he was youngerand working in the steel mill in Buffalo, an art teacher approached him and asked him to be a model. He had to sit shirtless while lass after lass examined his arms and then drew him for an hour. His expression while he was telling me was a grand cross between pride and bashfulness.

From Outlander copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon Chapter 3 The Man in the Wood

"And who the hell are you?" I said in astonishment. My rescuer, if I cared to call him that, was some inches shorter than I and sparely built, but the bare arms
    protruding from the ragged shirt were knotted with muscle and his whole frame gave the impression of being made of some resilient material such as bedsprings.
    No beauty, either, with a pockmarked skin, low brow, and narrow jaw.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, March 29th, 2014 -- Betsy Barefoospinner, 07:42:27 03/29/14 Sat
    Good Morning, My Lallyfriends!

I am later than normal today. I hope that doesn't inconvenience anyone. For the first time in MONTHS, I slept. Usually, as of late, I have risen for the day by 3AM or so. Sometimes, much to my chagrin, it's been known to be 2AM. This morning I slept until 8:15. Unbelievable. I could even go BACK to sleep if I had the time. However, everything on my agenda has been pushed back and it will take me all day to get caught up. Every pleasure has it's price.

This is the last day of my QOTD week. Thank you, All, for allowing me to start my days talking with some Dear Dear people. I can think of little else (not counting the blessed intimacy between Lovers...) that can feed my soul so well as to begin my day surrounded by Friends. Thank you again, Lally People. You've indulged me by allowing me to ramble on.

"I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch," Gilda Radner. I love Gilda Radner. Always have. No fancy high-handed twaddle from Gilda. She is what she is (rather, she was what she was. The Lass is dead.) I wonder what SHE would have worn on the Red Carpet? How long would it have taken her to dress and adorn herself to have the media in her face ready to plaster the image of Gilda's Authentic Self across all the tabloids of Hollywood? She was so true to herself. Fearless. Real. Uncompromised.

That is sort of what I had in mind as a theme this week. I love that DG imbues not just the major characters but the minor ones as well with such strong personalities. Especially the women. Most of DG's women are Stand Alone characters; her women are fearless, real, uncompromised, resourceful, and fascinating. I've taken a small slice of the Outlander Book's female characters, some major players, some quite minor, if there is such a thing, but all IMHO strong fearless women. Some of these women live lives that would do me in. I can see myself rolled into a tight ball, arms banded around my body keeping out as much reality as possible, keeping in all the emotions that threaten to explode and scatter my personal shrapnel into the Universe. These women are strong, determined, survivors. There are so many of these women in the Books it was difficult to decide who to use. DG is definitely attracted to strong women. Even the unsavory women are larger than life. I would love to "see" where some of them end up later in the tale. DG is great about allowing us brief glimpses of some of them here and there throughout the story.

Here's to Wonder Women!!!-those we meet in the Books and those who live their lives next door to us. Here's to those who stare back at us from the bathroom mirror each morning. Here's to Us as we try to live our lives with Power, Courage, Honesty, Uncompromising of our values, all tempered by Love.

The above ramblings actually MAY have something to do with QOTD. I hadn't planned it, but there you have it.

The following quote is taken from "The Fiery Cross", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 9, Germ of Dissent. Copyright (c) 2002 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Joan Findlay's two sons had come; they stood by their mother, sturdy lads of sixteen and seventeen, regarding Roger with cautious curiosity."
    "'This will be Hugh,' she said, reaching up to put a hand on one shoulder, then the other, 'and Iain Og.'"
    "Roger inclined his head courteously."
    "'Your servant, gentlemen.'"
    "The boys exchanged glances with each other, then looked at their feet, smothering grins."
    "'So, CAPTAIN MacKenzie.' Joan Findlay's voice came down hard on the word. 'If I lend ye my sons, will ye promise me, then, to send them safe home?'"
    "The woman's hazel eyes were as bright and intelligent as her brother's- and as unflinching. He braced himself not to look away."
    "'So far as it lies in my power, ma'am- I will see them safe.'"
    "The edge of her mouth lifted slightly; she knew quite well what was in his power and what was not. She nodded, though, and her hands dropped to her sides."
    "'They'll come.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, March 28, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 04:38:46 03/28/14 Fri
    Hello, Lallygabbers!
    I just love this time of day! I do wish I could sleep but since I can't, it's worth it to appreciate the beauty of a different time of day, or night as the case may be. I worked nights for years and years so I know what it is to be awake at 4AM but being awake and working hard to get your work done before the next shift comes in at 7AM is different than being able to sit and watch the magic unfold. I rarely read the weather reports- they're more often then not wrong or at least grossly exaggerated- so I rely on looking out the window to see what's up. It's much more helpful. But just before sunrise you simply can't tell what the day will be like. It's that dove-gray sky, promising either warm sun or rain, you can't tell which yet, that allows, just for a few minutes, for some Mystery to begin the day.

My parents both lived with my family and me when they became unable to safely care for themselves. David, my DH, told me that we needed to have them with us and care for them here in our home. We built an apartment onto the house for them, attached but separate, so they could have as much privacy as we could manage but they could still be right here where we could watch them and care for them as they aged.

My father was a happy man. When he became more and more demented he remained happy. Maybe he was even MORE happy. His ability to recognize us and know who we were faded as he sunk deeper into dementia. But he remained delighted to see people who came to visit. He didn't have a clue who it was but he was totally delighted to see them. His tag line became "Well, look who's here!!!". Whoever came in was greeted with those cheerful words. He greeted absolutely EVERYTHING with Well, look who's here. He didn't know you anymore, didn't even know who I was, but it was good. All good. No matter what.

Recently I was facing some painfully difficult times that were terrifying for me. I honestly didn't see how I would or could cope. Then I saw my father, gone now, greeting every person, every event, with Well, look who's here! and I decided that I would adopt that attitude. I would especially greet my fears and my terror with Well, look who's here. I would welcome the fear. I would invite the fear and uncertainty in, shake their hands, welcome them, and sit with them in gratitude. I would not become paralyzed by the terror of the known and the unknown because I had welcomed them in and sat them down by the hearth in a comfy chair and I sat by their side so I could learn just what this Fear and Terror was. I would treat them as precious parts of myself and face them with gratitude and faith. I would ask for the help of my Guardians, my Angels, and then I WOULD ACCEPT THEIR HELP WITHOUT TELLING THEM JUST HOW TO DO THEIR JOB! I reminded myself many many many times a day that I was not alone, if I chose to acknowledge the help I had asked for. I practiced mindfulness frequently during each day and did Yoga to stay focused. And so far it has all worked. And the bulk of the situation that had me paralyzed (emotionally, spiritually, and even physically) has resolved without all my frantic negative energy. I did nothing but change my attitude. Well, look who's here! Who/whatever it is, is Good.

This has nothing at all to do with today's quote.

The following quote is taken from Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 4, I Come to the Castle. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'Claire,' he said, with a brief tilt of his head toward me. 'And Mistress Fitzgibbons,' he added, with a tilt the other way. 'Murtagh found her yesterday, and Dougal said we must bring her along wi' us,' he added, making it clear it was no good blaming HIM."
    "Mistress Fitzgibbons closed her mouth and looked me up and down with an air of shrewd evaluation. Apparently she decided that I looked harmless enough, despite my odd and scandalous appearance, for she smiled-kindly, despite several missing teeth- and took me by the arm."
    '"Well then, Claire. Welcome to ye. Come wi' me and we shall find ye somethin' a bit more...mmm.' She looked over my short skirt and inadequate shoes, shaking her head."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, March 27, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 04:07:52 03/27/14 Thu
    Good Morning, Lallylads and Ladies!
    It's the end of March and it's still FREEZING out there! Like below zero FREEZING! Thank goodness for wood heat. Thank goodness for acreage so we can harvest wood from our own property. Thank goodness I have a DH willing and able to cut and split all the wood, no mean feat when you have two huge woodstoves. There is almost nothing sweeter than hoisting a flannel nighty and backing up to a good fire in a hot woodstove! Ahhhh...Bliss! Brings a whole new meaning to the term toasted buns!
    I've been watching the sliver of a moon as the sky awakens. The sky is light blue, lighter than a robin's egg blue, and shows signs of perhaps being a lovely day. The moon will stay visible until the daylight is firmly in place, sort of like it is watching over us to make sure that all is well before it moves on.
    I have a book, Simple Abundance, A Daybook of Comfort and Joy, by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It has daily readings to ponder, some relevant, some not so much. The reading for today starts with a quote from George Eliot: "It is never too late to be what you might have been". That sort of assumes that we are not what we want to be, or what we COULD be if we tried harder. What if we LIKE what we are, even if it is a long way off from the dreams of our youth? What if we're mostly satisfied with who we are? Is that presumptuous, or is it the lazy way out... to be satisfied so we don't feel we have to do a lot of work to change? I honestly don't know. I argue both ways depending on the day. Some days I am basically satisfied with my life, other days I am horrified at what I have grown into. One thing is constant, though: I never feel bored with myself. I have always been a passionate person and I still am. Is my life what I thought I was working toward when I was a younger woman? Not even close. Do I miss the woman I might have been? Some days I wonder who she was and if she IS, somewhere but not here. Maybe someone else found her and kept her. Some days I am content and satisfied with who I have found in her place. This doesn't mean I am satisfied with myself. I have so many flaws that it will take many lifetimes to iron out. I am very hard on myself, expecting as I age to get better at being a responsible adult with kindness and compassion in my heart. It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. At least, not for me. The older I get the more I see in myself that needs work. It doesn't get easier, either. It gets harder and harder to grow up. Maybe I will manage before I die. Maybe I won't. One thing I do know.... I've loved some wonderful people and I've read some great books! GOOD MORNING, LALLYLAND!!! The moon just left the sky and it looks like a great day for stealing time to read! I think I'll ignore the dirt and pretend my house is clean (and that's a Big Stretch...a good housekeeper I am not. I live with too many messy people. And it isn't high on my list of priorities).

The above rambling has absolutely nothing to do with the following quote.

The following quote is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 36, MacRannoch. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'I thought we had best work here before the fire,' Lady Annabelle explained in her charming bird-voice. 'There's more light, and it's far the warmest place in the house.'
    "At her direction, two of the larger menservants each seized an end of the blanket under Jamie and transferred it smoothly, contents and all, to the camp bed, now set up before the fire, where another servant was industriously poking the night-banked coals and feeding the growing blaze. The maid who had brought in the tea was efficiently lighting the wax tapers in the branched candelabra on the sideboard. Despite her songbird appearance, the Lady Annabelle plainly had the soul of a master-sergeant."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, March 26th, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 04:21:11 03/26/14 Wed
    Good Morning (or Evening, or Afternoon...which ever is appropriate), Lallypeople!

Looking out the window, the sky is a light grey, that shade that can either bloom into beautiful blue or blessed rain. I love this time of day! There's time to do whatever feeds my soul. The house is still asleep, the animals aren't squawking to be let out, and I can just sink into the dawn of the day.

It's Wednesday. Halfway through the week already. How did that happen? I try not to look at the passage of time but rather bask in the moment, concentrating on the feel of my breath, the awareness of what IS right now, the sensations of the moment. I can do that during this alone time. As soon as the household awakens, my awareness changes to persuading this three year old to Eat your breakfast please. Yes, you do too like oatmeal. You've eaten it for the past ten months. Please put these undies on. Not on your head. Yes, put your legs through and pull them up. Are you trying to drive your Gummy (that's me. My grandchildren and assorted friends call me Gummy. Don't ask. No, it's not about teeth) crazy??? And the giggled "yes-teeheehee" sets the stage for a crazy but delightful day.

Do any of you raise angora rabbits? Well, I have one. He needs grooming and to have his bunny wool harvested. I've managed the front half of his body but I haven't persuaded him that he really DOES want the back end done. He's a house bunny, which means he hops about our upstairs at random. Did you know you can litter train a rabbit? You can. It's pretty easy. Food goes I one end and pellets come out the other, pretty much at the same time. All you need to do is feed the bunny in a clean litter box and Bob's your Uncle! Your bunny is litter trained! Well, my poor angora bunny is half-plucked and half poofed. He looks like something out of Star Wars, the bar scene. That's my mission today. Pluck bunny so he looks normal. Bald, but normal. We'll see. There are many days I don't even get to THINK about my own plans again. My life has been derailed by this wee girl-child. I really didn't think that at sixty two I'd be parenting a three year old. I'm no where near as organized as I was when my children were young, and there were four of them! It takes me all day to get done what I used to accomplish in a couple of hours. I'm so exhausted at the end of the day I can hardly remember my name, let alone what I actually DID that day. But I laugh more, I sit more, reading Dr. Seuss, I color more, I cut and paste with actual scissors and glue, I have glitter EVERYWHERE (did you know that glitter can actually adhere to a hardwood floor? It can and it has), I spend huge chunks of time dressed in old ballet costumes dancing to Let it Go from Frozen at LEAST 150 times/day. David walks around singing Shut it Off, shut it OFFFF, but she doesn't and we dance and dance. My house is a wreck, the laundry is never folded, my dust bunnies are now considered pets, and I make macaroni and cheese (from a BOX!!!! I never in my LIFE made mac and cheese from a BOX before!!! I do jazz it up with extra real cheese, but still....from a BOX?? I was a chef in another life. This is very hard for me to accept) at least five times a week and I've traded reading the newspaper for posting pictures on Facebook so Jailyn's Mama can see her and what she's doing as she counts the days left of her deployment. Life is good!!! I hope all is well in the world because I won't know otherwise for at least a week and a half.

This in no way has anything to do with QOTD but it does me some good to actually write a full sentence without having to explain why we can't pick the tops off the plants in our indoor garden.

The following quote is taken from 'Voyager" by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 46, We Meet a Porpoise. Copyright (c)1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"She pushed out her lips, thinking, then pulled them in again. "Well, because of Fergus. We havena lain together yet. We have not been able to do more than kiss each other now and again behind the hatch covers- thanks to Da and his bloody-minded notions,' she added bitterly."
    "'Amen," I said, with some wryness."
    "'Eh?'"
    "'Never mind.' I waved a hand, dismissing it. 'What has that got to do with not wanting babies?'"
    "'I want to like it,' she said matter-of-factly. "When we get to the prick part.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, March 25, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 04:10:35 03/25/14 Tue
    Good Morning, Lallylanders!

For the past few months I have had trouble sleeping. This is a new occurance for me. Usually, I sleep like the dead. Many years of working 12 hour night shifts taught me to fall asleep quickly and maximize sleep-time. I find myself wide awake and unable to get back to sleep at ridiculous times of the night. 2AM, 3AM, wide awake and vibrating with energy but unwilling to spend the time cleaning and/or being productive around the house. It feels like this is "My" time, to read, reflect, however I want to use the time. Time alone. Silent time. Stillness. I've learned that instead of being frustrated that I cannot sleep I can use this time to meditate and watch the day gently awaken as time slips by me whether I'm annoyed, resigned, or accepting of the wakefulness. I have been blessed to watch the birth of each day. When I was a young woman, even a girl, there was a folk singer named Melanie. No last name (well, she had one but didn't use it. Just went by Melanie)who sang some really lovely songs. One of them was Baby Day. "Why sleep when the day has been called out by the sun, Why sleep when it is here to shine on everyone. Why sleep when the sleep only closes up your eyes, Why sleep when we can watch the sun arise?" I may have transposed a bit of the lyrics, my brain being such as it is, but this is what I remember. Each day I can, if I choose, greet the day with the sweet innocence of Melanie's song. I can be eager to watch the day be called out by the sun, to watch the sun arise. To begin my day by filling my heart with gratitude.

This, of course, has nothing to do with the quote for today.

QOTD is taken from 'An Echo in the Bone' by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 41, Shelter From the Storm. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'She tried to cut Denny's throat, but she stepped on my hand and woke me. I saw the knife and screamed, and he seized her, and...' She pulled a hand through her hair, and he saw that she had lost her cap, and the hair was loose and tangled."

"'I sat on her,' she said, 'and Denny rolled her up in a sheet. I don't think she can speak,' Rachel added, as he stooped to look at the woman. 'Her tongue is split.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, March24th, 2014. -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 23:20:08 03/23/14 Sun
    Good Morning, Lallylanders!

It's Monday! A fresh start. A new chance for Hope and Contentment. If it were only that easy, eh? I've given up striving for a life of quiet balance and serenity. Instead of banging my head against the wall and making myself feel like a failure as a human, I am now looking for opportunities to appreciate moments of awareness and gratitude. Of course, I can only manage a time or two each day. I have grand plans on spending each day channeling Buddist monks and sitting chanting OMMMMMM while transended to another place full of calm serenity and personal insight. In this state of hyperawareness I shall be transformed into, well, into something but I haven't figured out what yet. But I know I'll be glowing with a rose light, maybe purple. Or maybe blue. Glowing, though. Color must be optional. This works only for as long as it takes to remind my granddaughter for the four thousandth time this morning that issuing me orders to Get me a glass of milk is not likely to illicit the response she hopes for. My glowingly colored aura begins to fade when I step in the cat vomit on the kitchen floor and when hopping around trying not to put my kitty-adorned foot down on the floor, I knock over the pyramid of glass jars containing my spices that my granddaughter has built in the middle of the floor, breaking many and scattering the contents everywhere. My inner light (of rose,purple or maybe blue)seems to be fading. Seems like my aura does not play well with my mindful self when I am hopping about on one foot yelling Oh sh*t Oh sh#t Oh sh&t. well, tomorrow is another day. Maybe I can attain total enlightenment tomorrow. One can only hope.

This really happened. It, however, has nothing to do with QOTD.

The following quote is from "Drums of Autumn" by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 38, For Those in Peril on the Sea. Copyright *c* 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"'It's no but a wee rash! All bairns get them, my mother said so!' He could hear the fear in her voice, underneath the furious denial."

"'Are you sure?' he said as gently as he could. He reached a tentative hand toward the dark blotch she held.'

"She struck at him, awkwardly one-handed, and he jerked back with a hiss of pain.'

"'Jesus! Ye stabbd me!'

"'Stay back! I've my husband's dirk,' she warned. 'I won't let ye take him, I'll kill ye first, I swear I will!'"

"He believed her."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, March 23, 2014 -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 20:09:58 03/22/14 Sat
    Good morning, Lally People!

It's the start of a fresh new week. We have a chance to begin anew, to leave our mistakes that we made last week behind and start on a whole new set of mistakes. Hopefully they will be different mistakes and we don't continue to repeat ourselves over and over, expecting a different outcome each time.

I have been practicing Mindfulness for the past few months. I've been working hard at being present in the moment, keeping a focused mind and a grateful heart. I even spent eight hours in Noble Silence. No speaking, no eye contact if possible, lots of meditation and Yoga and except for the person who led some guided meditation, COMPLETE SILENCE! I was anticipating losing my mind and running screaming out of the room, making as much eye contact as I could and being sure to speak, loudly, to everybody I saw. I was amazingly surprised. I was able to spend 8 hours alone with no human-made sounds. Unbelievable. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! And no, I can't put my feet behind my head. Very funny.

This has nothing to do with today's QOTD.

The following quote is taken from "An Echo in the Bone," by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 15, The Black Chamber. Copyright 'c' 2009, by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"He turned in at the gate and, hearing a cry of 'Uncle John!' looked toward the house and was in time to see his niece, Dottie, bearing down on him like a ship under full sail--literally. She wore a plum silk mantua and a rose pink cloak and, with the wind behind her, billowed alarmingly. In fact, she scudded toward him with such velocity that he was obliged to catch her in his arms in order to halt her forward progress."

"'Are you a virgin?' he demanded without preamble."

"Her eyes widened, and without the least hesitation, she wrested one arm free and slapped his cheek."

Replies:

• Holy Cow - running out of quoters! :) -- Judie, 23:56:44 03/21/14 Fri
    Let me know if interested! :)

Judie

Last edited by author: Sat March 22, 2014 00:02:10   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, March 22, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:06:05 03/21/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 59 "In Which Much Is Revealed" . Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" Grey was not sure at this point whether to laugh or cry. Instead,
    he reached a hand up and gently touched Jamie's cheek, fading now
    to its normal pale bronze. More quietly, he said, "Besides, you can-
    not give me what you do not have."
       Grey felt, rather than saw, the slight relaxation of tension in the
    tall body facing him.
       "You shall have my friendship," Jamie said softly, "if that has
    any value to ye."
       "A very great value indeed." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, March 21, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:16:19 03/20/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 34 "Daddy" . Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "I had to send ye away! I had to, for the bairn's sake!" His eyes went
    involuntarily to the hook where his coat hung, the pictures of Brianna in his
    pocket. He took one deep, quivering breath, and calmed himself with a
    visible effort.
       "No," he said, much more quietly. "I canna regret that, whatever the
    cost. I would have given my life, for her and for you. If it took my heart and
    soul, too . . ."
       He drew a long, quivering breath, mastering the passion that shook him.
       "I canna blame ye for going."
       "You blame me for coming back, though."
       He shook his head as though to clear it.
       "No, God no!" "

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, March 20, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:09:55 03/19/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 32 "The Prodigal's Return" . Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "Me?" Jamie was horror-struck. He made a futile attempt to shove the
    strap back into Ian's hand, but his brother-in-law ignored it. "I canna thrash
    the lad!"
       "Oh, I think ye can," Ian said calmly, folding his arms. "Ye've said often
    enough ye care for him as though he were your son." He tilted his head to
    one side, and while his expression stayed mild, the brown eyes were implaca-
    ble. "Well, I'll tell ye, Jamie--it's no that easy to be his Da; best ye go and
    find that out now, aye?"
       Jamie stared at Ian for a long moment, then looked to his sister. She raised
    one eyebrow, staring him down.
       "You deserve it as much as he does, Jamie. Get ye gone." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, March 19,2014 -- LisaW, 21:04:32 03/18/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 25 "House of Joy" . Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" I was crying again, quite soundlessly, shaking against him. He held me
    gently, stroking my back and murmuring. "Ye did well," he kept saying. "Ye
    did right." And after a little while, I stopped crying.
       "Ye gave me a child, mo nighean donn," he said softly, into the cloud of
    my hair. "We are together for always. She is safe; and we will live forever
    now, you and I." He kissed me, very lightly, and laid his head upon the
    pillow next to me. "Brianna," he whispered, in that odd Highland way that
    made her name his own. He sighed deeply, and in an instant, was asleep. In
    another, I fell asleep myself, my last sight his wide, sweet mouth, relaxed in
    sleep, half-smiling. "

Replies:

• Outlander Film -- isisgms (Sam Heughan!), 02:05:07 03/18/14 Tue
    Just read that Sam Heughan is going to play Jamie in the Outlander series being filmed in Perthshire, at Doune Castle. Is he tall enough? Can't wait to see it.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, March 18, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:56:50 03/17/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 12 "Sacrifice" . Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"His hand weighed a ton, but he lifted it nonetheless and laid it on the
    young man's head. Then it slipped away, but he felt Angus's tension relax, as
    the comfort flowed from his touch.
       He had been born a leader, then bent and shaped further to fit such a
    destiny. But what of a man who had not been born to the role he was
    required to fill? John Grey, for one. Charles Stuart for another.
       For the first time in ten years, from this strange distance, he could find it in
    himself to forgive that feeble man who had once been his friend. Having so
    often paid the price exacted by his own gift, he could at last see the more
    terrible doom of having been born a king, without the gift of kingship. "

Last edited by author: Mon March 17, 2014 21:57:36   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, March 17, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:30:35 03/16/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter7 "A Faith in Documents" . Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "The
    tenant would take the gold o' the reward--to use for the folk on the estate,
    o' course--and tell the English where the Dunbonnet might be taken."
       My hand clenched so convulsively at this that the delicate handle of my
    teacup snapped clean off.
       "Taken?" I croaked, my voice hoarse with shock. "Did they hang him?"
       Fiona blinked at me in surprise. "Why, no," she said. "They wanted to,
    my grannie said, and took him to trial for treason, but in the end, they shut
    him up in a prison instead--but the gold went to his tenants, and so they
    lived through the famine," she ended cheerfully, obviously regarding this as
    the happy ending. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, March 16, 2014 -- LisaW, 23:40:16 03/15/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1 "The Corbies' Feast". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "You're the laird of Broch Tuarach, aren't you? Well, that's where I'm
    sending you."
       "I dinna want to go home! I want to be shot!"
       The Englishmen exchanged a look.
       "Raving," the Lieutenant said significantly, and Melton nodded.
       "I doubt he'll live through the journey--but his death won't be on my
    head, at least."
       The door shut firmly behind the Englishmen, leaving Jamie Fraser quite
    alone--and still alive. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, March 15, 2014 -- TerriC, 19:03:14 03/14/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 3, The Man in the Wood, Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"We'll puzzle it out later," said Dougal brusquely. "We've a good distance to go tonight, and we mun' do something for Jamie first; he canna ride like that."

I shrank back into the shadows near the fireplace, hoping to avoid notice. The man called Murtagh had untied my hands before leading me in here. The men's attention had shifted to a young man crouched on a stool in the corner. He had barely looked up through my appearance and interrogation, but kept his head bent, hand clutching the opposite shoulder, rocking slightly back and forth in pain.

Ah, Claire, so it begins,lass!!!

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, March 14, 2014 -- TerriC, 18:03:17 03/13/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 2, Standing Stones, Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I cannot really say I lost consciousness, but I was certainly not aware of myself for some time. I "woke," if that's the word, when I stumbled on a rock near the bottom of the hill. I half slid the remaining few feet and fetched up on the thick tufted grass at the foot.

I felt sick and dizzy. I crawled toward a stand of oak saplings and leaned against one to steady myself. There was a confused noise of shouting nearby, which reminded me of the sounds I had heard, and felt, in the stone circle. The ring of inhuman violence was lacking, though this was the sound of human conflict, and I turned towards it.

Replies:

• QOTD fot Thursday, March 13, 2014 -- TerriC, 19:48:19 03/12/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 2, Standing Stones. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

There was a deep humming noise coming from somewhere near at hand. I thought there might be a beehive lodged in some crevice of the rock, and placed a hand on the stone in order to lean into the cleft.

The stone screamed.

I backed away as fast as I could, moving so quickly that I tripped on the short turf and sat down hard. I stared at the stone, sweating.

I had never heard such a sound from anything living. There is no way to describe it, except to say that it was the sort of scream you might expect from a stone. It was horrible.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, March 12, 2014 -- TerriC, 18:58:27 03/11/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 2, Standing Stones. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The hand stroking my back slipped lower and lower, stopping suddenly in surprise. It felt again, then Frank raised his head and looked down at me, grinning.

"What's all this then?" he asked, in imitation of a village bobby. "Or rather, what's not all this?"

"Just being prepared," I said primly. "Nurses are taught to anticipate contingencies."

"Really, Claire," he murmured, sliding his hand under my skirt and up my thigh to the soft, unprotected warmth between my legs, "you are the most terrifyingly practical person I have ever known."

Replies:

• The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 2, Standing Stones, Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- TerriC, 18:29:39 03/10/14 Mon
    "No, no, lass. It doesna mean anything's like to happen to your good man. It's only that if it did," she emphasized the "if" with a slight squeeze of my hand, "you'd not be one to pine away and waste the rest of your life in mourning. What it means is, you're one of those can love again if your first love's lost."

She squinted nearsightedly at my palm, running a short, ridged nail gently down the deep marriage line. "But most divided lines are broken−yours is forked." She looked up with a roguish smile. "Sure you're not a bigamist, on the quiet, like?"

Replies:

• The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1, A New Beginning, Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved -- TerriC, 18:07:54 03/09/14 Sun
    "Big chap," said Frank, frowning in recollection. "And a Scot, in complete Highland rig-out, complete to sporran and the most beautiful running-stag brooch on his plaid. I wanted to ask where he'd got it from, but he was off before I could."

Replies:

• The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1, A New Beginning, Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- TerriC, 16:39:56 03/08/14 Sat
    “The ancient feasts,” he explained, still lost in his mental notes. “Hogmanay, that’s New Year’s, Midsummer Day, Beltane and All Hallows’. Druids, Beaker Folk, early Picts, everybody kept the sun feasts and the fire feasts, so far as we know. Anyway, ghosts are freed on the holy days, and can wander about at will, to do harm or good as they please.” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “It’s getting on for Beltane—close to the spring equinox. Best keep an eye out, next time you pass the kirkyard.” His eyes twinkled, and I realized the trance had ended.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, March 8th, 2014 The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 26, The Laird’s Return, Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 23:15:48 03/07/14 Fri
    When we reached the double doors, the dogs panting at our heels, Jamie hesitated.

“Should we knock?” I asked, a bit nervous. He looked at me in astonishment.

“It’s my home,” he said and pushed the door open.

My home is my castle, says the English proverb, and so it should be.
    Our professions and parts in the society change us and we keep a role and a mask on.
    Home should be a safe, private place, where who you are is enough.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, March 7th, 2014 The following quote is taken from Drums Of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 43, Whisky in the Jar, Copyright © 1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:25:39 03/06/14 Thu
    “Innisfree,” Brianna said involuntarily, stopping dead at the sight.

“Innisfree?” Jamie glanced at her, bewildered.

She hesitated, but there was no way out of explaining.
    “It’s a poem, or a part of one. Daddy always used to say it, when he’d come home and find Mama puttering in her garden−he said she’d live out there if she could.
    He used to joke that she−that she’d leave us someday, and go find this place where she could live by herself, with nothing but her plants.”

This quote caught my eye at the very first reading.
    Here we get a tiny view of Claire's world in Boston, and Brianna could talk of Frank with Jamie.
    I also believe that we all need an Innisfree, a place of our own, even if it's a place in our minds. Ladies of lallybroch is an Innisfree, In my mind anyway.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, March 6th, 2014 The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 9, A Knife That Knows My Hand, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:46:59 03/05/14 Wed
    “You remember that other line I told you?” I asked him. “When we came back to Lallybroch from Edinburgh,
    after I . . . found Jamie again.
    Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.”

Ian raised a brow, looked from me to Jamie, and shook his head.
    “Nay wonder ye’re sae fond of her, Uncle. She must be a rare comfort to ye.”
    “Well, “ Jamie said, his eyes fixed in his work, “she keeps takin’ me in−so I suppose she must be home.

This is one of my all time favourite scenes,
    Ian wondering how his parents would react, when seeing their lost son again and Jamie & Claire making verbally love.
    And the quote reflects my personal feelings, the place where I lay my head has no meaning, if my DH is with me, every place is a home.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, March 5, 2014 The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 59, In Which Much Is Revealed, Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:43:36 03/04/14 Tue

He knelt quite suddenly before me, and put his folded hands in mine;
    the gesture a Highlander makes when swearing loyalty to his chieftain.
    “I give ye my spirit,” he said, head bent over our hands.

“ `Til our life shall be done,” I said softly. “But it isn’t done yet, Jamie, is it?”

Then he rose and too the shift from me, and I lay back on the narrow bed naked,
    pulled him down to me through the soft yellow light, and took him home, and home, and home again,
    and we were neither one of us alone.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, March 4, 2014 The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 24, A. Malcom, Printer. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 21:42:36 03/03/14 Mon
    Still there was an overwhelming familiarity to them−these were the people I knew.

Scots and English for the most part, and hearing the rich burring babble of voices in the street, after so many years of the flat nasal tones of Boston, I had quite an extraordinary feeling of coming home.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, March 3, 2014 The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 22 Flutterby, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:28:54 03/02/14 Sun

I sighed happily. This was the third dream that he’d had, seeing them at Lallybroch.
    It might be only wishful thinking, but I knew it made him as happy as it made me, to feel that they had made a home there.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, March 2, 2014 The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 2 In Which We Meet a Ghost , Copyright © 1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 21:57:54 03/01/14 Sat
    Soon, God willing, we would settle; find a place to make a home and a life. I wanted nothing more, and yet at the same time I worried.
    We had known each other only few months since my return. Each touch, each word was still at once tinged with memory and new discovery.

What would happen when we were thoroughly accustomed to each other, living day by day in a routine of mundane tasks?

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, March 1, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 16:29:24 02/28/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 46, Timor Mortis Conturbat Me ( fear of death disturbs me), Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

He kissed me once more, hard enough to leave the taste of blood in my mouth. “Name him Brian,” he said, “for my father.” With a push, he sent me toward the opening. As I ran for it, I glanced back to see him standing in the middle of the doorway, sword half-drawn, dirk ready in his right hand.

And with that, my dear friends, I am off to the Dominican Republic where it is 88 degrees! The dreadful winter here in the Chicago land area has me ready to tear my hair out so I can’t wait to get somewhere warm.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, February 28, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:55:52 02/27/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 46, Timor Mortis Conturbat Me ( fear of death disturbs me), Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“They say. . . . .” he began, and stopped to clear his throat. “They say, in the old days, when a man would go forth to do a great deed— he would find a wisewoman, and ask her to bless him. He would stand looking forth, in the direction he would go, and she would come behind him, to say the words of the prayer over him. When she had finished, he would walk straight out, and not look back, for that was ill-luck to his quest.”

He touched my face once, and turned away, facing the open door. The morning sun streamed in, lighting his hair in a thousand flames. He straightened his shoulders, broad beneath his plaid, and drew a deep breath.

“Bless me, then, wisewoman,” he said softly, “and go.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, February 27, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:09:23 02/26/14 Wed

Murtagh nodded once more, and turned to go. Then he paused, and turned back to face Jamie. The thin mouth twitched briefly, and he said, “I would ask the one thing of ye, lad—let it be the English. Not your ain folk.”

Jamie flinched slightly, but after a moment, he nodded. Then, without speaking, he held out his arms to the older man. They embraced quickly, fiercely, and Murtagh, too, was gone, in a swirl of ragged tartan.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, February 26, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:00:57 02/25/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 29, To Grasp the Nettle, Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“All right,” he whispered. His eyes bored into mine, daring me to close them, forcing me to hold his gaze. “All right. And ye wish it, I shall punish you.” He moved his hips against me in imperious command, and I felt my legs open for him, my gates thrown wide to welcome ravishment.

“Never,” he whispered to me. “Never. Never another but me! Look at me! Tell me! Look at me, Claire!” He moved in me, strongly, and I moaned and would have turned my head, but he held my face between his hands, forcing me to meet his eyes, to see his wide, sweet mouth, twisted in pain.

“Never,” he said, more softly. “For you are mine. My wife, my heart, my soul.” The weight of him held me still, like a boulder on my chest, but the friction of our flesh made me thrust against him, wanting more. And more.

Replies:

• So sorry for the double post for Tuesday below. I kept getting error messages yet didn't realize, despite the message, that it had indeed posted. -- Lady Linda, 17:04:32 02/24/14 Mon

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, February 25, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:01:59 02/24/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 12, L’ Hȏpital des Anges, Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“I see,” I said, biting my lip. “I, um, trust you didn’t draw your sword in there?”

Jamie narrowed his eyes at me, but didn’t deign to reply directly.

“I’ll leave it to you, Sassenach,” he said dryly, “to imagine what it feels like to arrive unexpectedly in the midst of a brothel, in possession of a verra large sausage.”

My imagination proved fully equal to this task, and I burst out laughing.

“God, I wish I could have seen you!” I said.

“Thank God ye didn’t!” he said fervently. A furious blush glowed on his cheekbones.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, February 25, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 16:58:28 02/24/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 12, L’ Hȏpital des Anges, Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“I see,” I said, biting my lip. “I, um, trust you didn’t draw your sword in there?”

Jamie narrowed his eyes at me, but didn’t deign to reply directly.

“I’ll leave it to you, Sassenach,” he said dryly, “to imagine what it feels like to arrive unexpectedly in the midst of a brothel, in possession of a verra large sausage.”

My imagination proved fully equal to this task, and I burst out laughing.

“God, I wish I could have seen you!” I said.

“Thank God ye didn’t!” he said fervently. A furious blush glowed on his cheekbones.

• QOTD for Monday, February 24, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 17:24:03 02/23/14 Sun

“Jamie! Do you mean you don’t mind if I visit L’Hȏpital des Anges?”

“I don’t know if I mean that, exactly,” he said, spooning in his own parritch in a businesslike way. “But, I expect I’ll mind a lot more if ye don’t. And if ye work at the Hȏpital, at least it will keep ye from spending all your time with Louise de Rohan. I suppose there are worse things than associating wi’ beggars and criminals,” he said darkly. “At least I don’t expect you’ll come home from a hospital wi’ your privates plucked bare.”

“I’ll try not,” I assured him.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, February 23, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 16:09:25 02/22/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 11, Useful Occupations, Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“What, she’s taken the hairs off her honeypot?” he said, horrified into uncharacteristic vulgarity.

“Mm-hm,” I replied, pleased that this vision had at least distracted him from my own distressingly hairless condition. “Every hair. Madame Laserre plucked out the stray ones.”

“Mary, Michael, and Bride!” He closed his eyes tightly, either in avoidance, or the better to contemplate the prospect I had described.

Evidently the latter, for he opened his eyes again and glared at me, demanding, “She’s goin’ about now bare as a wee lassie?”

“She says,” I replied delicately, “that men find it erotic.”

His eyebrows nearly met his hairline, a neat trick for someone with such a classically high brow.

Dragonfly in Amber is such a magnificent book. It is full of angst and heart wrenching scenes and yet, there are so many scenes that make you laugh out loud. Toward that end, this week’s theme is, laughter to tears.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, February 22, 2014 -- kgp, 03:30:02 02/22/14 Sat
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 72: Betrayals

“I want ye verra much, mo nighean donn,” he said softly, and curled his fingers around my wrist, letting the pads rest gently on my pulse.

“So the Mackenzies of Leoch are all prone to black jealousy,” I said. I could feel my pulse, steady under his fingers. “Charming, cunning, and given to betrayal.” I touched his lip, ran my thumb lightly along it, the tiny prickles of beard pleasant to the touch. “All of them?”

He looked down, fixing me suddenly with a dark blue gaze in which humor and ruefulness were mingled with a good many other things I couldn’t read.

“Ye think I am not?” he said, and smiled a little sadly. “God and Mary bless ye, Sassenach.” And bent to kiss me.”

Last edited by author: Sat February 22, 2014 10:15:44   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, February 21, 2014 -- kgp, 18:21:19 02/20/14 Thu
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 71: Black Pudding

“I remembered what it was like, that feeling that one was living in an elaborate make-believe. The feeling that reality existed in another time, another place. I remembered, and with a small shock, realized that it was now only a memory – for me, time had shifted, as though my illness had pushed me through some final barrier.

Now was my time, reality the scrape of wood and slick of grease beneath my fingers, the arc of the sun that set the rhythm of my days, the nearness of Jamie. It was the other world, of cars and ringing telephones, of alarm clocks and mortgages, that seemed unreal and remote, the stuff of dreams.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, February 20, 2014 -- kgp, 19:34:24 02/19/14 Wed
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 38: A De’il In The Milk.

“No.” Marsali began winding the thread onto the niddy-noddy, a small, seemingly permanent frown showing between her fair brows. “I suppose it’s better than the ones who point and whisper. Those are the ones who think Henri-Christian’s the – the devil’s seed,” she finished bravely, though her voice quivered a little. “I think they’d burn the wee man – and me and the other weans along with him, if they thought they could.”

“What sort of idiots could possibly think such a thing?” she demanded. “Let alone say it out loud?”

“Let alone do it, ye mean.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday,February 19, 2014 -- kgp, 18:33:35 02/18/14 Tue
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 58: Love One Another

“Can you call something that’s accidental for most people a calling?” she asked. “I don’t mean that it isn’t important – but shouldn’t there be some choice involved?”

Choice. Well, Jem had been thoroughly an accident, but this one – if there was one – they’d chosen, all right.

“I don’t know.” He smoothed the long rope of her braid against her spine, and she pressed closer in reflex. He thought she felt somehow riper than usual; something about the feel of her breasts. Softer. Bigger.

“Jem’s asleep,” she said softly, and he heard the surprisingly deep, slow breathing from the trundle. She put her hand back on his chest, the other some-what lower.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, February 18, 2014 -- kgp, 17:41:22 02/17/14 Mon
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 28: Curses

“Whad?” I said thickly. I coughed, shaking my head to try to clear it. It hurt very much. “What did you say?”

He was visible only as a ragged, lion-haired silhouette, bony-shouldered in the faint glow from the fire.

“I said,” he whispered, leaning close, “does the name ‘Ringo Starr’ mean anything to you?”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, February 16, 2014 -- kgp, 19:23:53 02/16/14 Sun
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 15: Stakit To Droon

“A traveling healer, my mither said. She’d quite resigned herself to losin’ me, she said, because I couldna suck, of course. She and my aunties all took it in turn to drap milk into my mouth from a rag, but she said I’d wasted nearly to a wee skeleton, when this charmer came by the village.”

He rubbed a knuckle self-consciously over his lip, smoothing the thick grizzled hairs of his mustache.

“My faither gave him six herrings and a mull o’ snuff, and he stitched it up, and gave my mither a bit o’ ointment to put on the wound. Well, and so . . .” He shrugged again, with a lopsided smile.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, February 16, 2014 -- kgp, 18:05:48 02/15/14 Sat
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 6: Ambush

“Did Auntie Claire tell ye about – about a war? One coming, I mean. With England.”
    There was a moment’s silence, his uncle’s big form gone still against the light from the door.
    “She has,” he said, and took away his hand. “Did she tell you?”
    “No, Cousin Brianna did.” He lay down on his side, careful of his tender head. “D’ye believe them?”
    There was no hesitation this time.
    “Aye, I do.” It was said with his uncle’s usual dry matter-of-factness, but something in it prickled the hairs on the back of Ian’s neck.
    “Oh. Well, then.”

This week's quotes are things that gave me pause or a frisson when reading them. By coincidence, all are from ABOSAA, following CarolSR's week of FC quotes.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, February 15, 2014 -- CarolSR, 13:57:53 02/14/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 107 ZUGUNRUHE. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Ssh,” Jamie murmured, far off. He was standing now, his hands on my waist, and the moaning noise might have been the wind, or me. His fingers brushed my lips.
    They might have been matches, striking flames against my skin. Heat danced over me, belly and breast, neck and face, burning in front, cool behind, like St. Lawrence on his gridiron. I wrapped my legs around him, one heel settled in the cleft of his buttocks, the solid strength of his hips between my legs my only anchor. “Let go,” he said in my ear. “I’ll hold you.” I did let go, and leaned back on the air, safe in his hands.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, February 14, 2014 -- CarolSR, 14:31:02 02/13/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 99 BROTHER. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I love you, a nighean donn. I have loved ye from the moment I saw ye, I will love ye ‘till time itself is done, and so long as you are by my side, I am well pleased wi’ the world.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, February 13, 2014 -- CarolSR, 13:42:34 02/12/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 93 CHOICES. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Because ye need me,” he said, very softly.
    “Not because you love me?”
    He looked up then, with a shadow of a smile.
    “Sassenach…I love ye now, and I will love ye always.
    Whether I am dead—or you—whether we are together or apart.
    You know it is true,” he said quietly, and touched my face.
    “I know it of you, and ye know it of me as well.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday February 12, 2014 -- CarolSR, 13:45:26 02/11/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 85 HEARTHFIRE. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Mo nighean donn,” he whispered, “mo chridhe.”My brown lass, my heart.” “Come to me. Cover me. Shelter me, a bhean, heal me. Burn with me, as I burn for you.”
    I lay on him, covered him, my skin, his bone, and still—still! –that fierce bright core of flesh to join us. I let my hair fall down around us both, and in the fire-shot cavern of its darkness, whispered back. “Until we two be burned to ashes.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, February 11, 2014 -- CarolSR, 14:12:19 02/10/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 85 HEARTHFIRE. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ His eyes softened as he looked at me. “Yet I burn when I come to ye, Sassenach—and will, I think, ‘til we two be burned to ashes.”
    “Is that poetry?” I asked cautiously. “Or do you mean it literally?”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, February 10, 2014 -- CarolSR, 15:54:17 02/09/14 Sun

I traced the faint white line of the scar across his ribs, left by a sword, long ago. The longer, thicker scar of the bayonet that had ripped the length of one thigh. The arm that held me, browned and roughened, the hairs of it bleached white gold with long days of sun and work. Near my hand, his cock curled between his thighs, gone soft and small and tender now, in its nest of auburn hair.

“You’re beautiful to me, Jamie,’ I said softly, at last. “So beautiful, you break my heart.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, February 9, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:33:18 02/08/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 49 IN VINO VERITAS. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“The stables. He hit the door and pulled me through with him into the warm dark, thrust me hard against a wall.
    “I must have ye now, or die,” he said, breathless, and then his mouth was on mine again, his face cold from the air outside, and his breath steaming with mine.

Then he drew abruptly away, and I staggered, pressing my hands against the rough bricks of the wall to keep my balance.

“Hold up your hands,” he said.
    “What?” I said stupidly.
    “Your hands. Put them up.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for February 8, 2014. -- Lee, 20:36:26 02/07/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13, Unrest. Copyright 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He knew what his Uncle Jamie meant; Arch Bug didn’t want him to die, because that would end his guilt, and thus his suffering. Ian had looked into those ancient eyes, the whites of them yellowed and threaded with red, watering with cold and grief, and seen something there that had frozen the core of his soul. No, Arch Bug wouldn’t kill him – yet.

His uncle was staring into the fire, the light of it warm on the broad bones of his face, and the sight gave Ian both comfort and panic.

Does it not occur to you? he’d thought, anguished, but did not say. He said he’d take what I love. And there ye sit beside me, clear as day.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, February 7, 2014. -- Lee, 20:29:24 02/06/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 66, The Dark Rises. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “It’s a great comfort,” he said at last, “to see the sun come up and go down. When I dwelt in the cave, when I was in prison, it gave me hope, to see the light come and go, and know that the world went about its business.”

He was looking out the window, toward the blue distance where the sky darkened toward infinity. His throat moved a little as he swallowed.

“It gives me the same feeling, Sassenach,” he said, “to hear ye rustling about in your surgery, rattling things and swearin’ to yourself.” He turned his head, then, to look at me, and his eyes held the depths of the coming night.

“If ye were no longer there – or somewhere –“ he said very softly, “then the sun would no longer come up or go down.” “

Last edited by author: Thu February 06, 2014 20:31:59   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, February 6, 2014. -- Lee, 20:26:05 02/05/14 Wed
    One of my favourite wee bits. Every time I read this, I've got 'Go Roger Go!' running through my mind. :)

The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 11, Pride. Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “If you canna love the lad for himself, I thought ye might treat him well for the sake of his prospects.”

He stared at her, words jamming in his throat. His face felt hot, and the blood throbbed dully in his ears.

“Oh I ken how it is,” she assured him. “It’s only to be understood that a man might not feel just so kindly toward a bairn his wife’s borne to another. But if-“

He stepped forward then and gripped her hard by the shoulder, startling her. She jerked, blinking, and the candle flames flashed from the cairngorm brooch.

“Madam,” he said, speaking very softly into her face. “I do not want your money. My wife does not want it. And my son will not have it. Cram it up your hole, aye?” "

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday February 5, 2014. Not exactly a Hump Day quote, but as close as I could get in keeping with my theme. :) -- Lee, 21:02:00 02/04/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 67, The Toss of a Coin. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ She lowered the small body for an instant, and Roger saw the nipple drawn up taut, milk jetting out in a thin stream of incredible force. Before the child could start to wail, she put him back, but not before Roger had felt the spray of tiny droplets, warm and then suddenly cool against the skin of his chest.

“My God,” he said, half shocked. “I didn’t know it did that! It’s like a squirt gun.”

“Neither did I.” She smiled again, her hand cupping the tiny head. Then the smile faded. “There are lots of things I couldn’t have imagined before they happened to me.”

“Bree.” He sat forward, forgetting his nakedness in the need to touch her. “Bree, I know you’re scared. So am I. I don’t want you to be afraid of me – but Bree, I do want ye so.” “

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Tuesday Feb 4, 2014. -- Lee, 22:13:08 02/03/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 33, Buried Treasure. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He had come from the bosom of family and tenants, from a strength that had sustained him for seven years, to find a lack of hope and a loneliness that would kill a man faster than the damp and the filth and the quaking ague of the prison.

And so, quite simply, he had taken the ragtag and remnants, the castoff survivors of the field of Culloden, and made them his own, that they and he might survive the stones of Ardsmuir as well. Reasoning, charming, and cajoling where he could, fighting where he must, he had forced them together, to face their captors as one, to put aside ancient clan rivalries and allegiances, and take him as their chieftain.

“They were mine,,” he said softly. “And the having of them kept me alive.” “

Replies:

• The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 13 Deceptions. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Lee, 21:37:44 02/02/14 Sun
    “ “Fergus took it from the bag while he was eating supper in a tavern. He’ll spend the night there, so we’ll have to put this back before morning. No difficulties there, Fergus?”

The boy swallowed and shook his head. “No, milord. He sleeps alone – not trusting his bedmates not to steal the contents of his bag.” He grinned derisively at this. “The second window on the left, above the stables.” He waved an airy hand, the deft, grubby fingers reaching for another pie. “It is nothing, milord.”

I had a sudden vision of that fine-boned hand held squirming on a block, with an executioner’s blade raised above the broomstick wrist. “

Last edited by author: Sun February 02, 2014 21:40:36   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for February 2, 2014 -- Lee, 22:53:21 02/01/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 13, A Marriage is Announced. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I was gradually recovering from the physical effects of the blow, but not from the shock of it. I knew the man was not my husband, but the resemblance was so strong and my habits so ingrained, that I had been half-inclined to trust him, and had spoken to him as I would have to Frank, expecting civility, if not active sympathy. To have those feelings abruptly turned inside out by his vicious attack was what was making me ill now.

Ill, and frightened as well. I had seen his eyes as he crouched next to me on the floor. Something had moved in their depths, just for a moment. It was gone in a flash, but I did not ever want to see it again.”

Replies:

• QOTD for February 1, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 19:33:04 01/31/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 23, A. Malcolm, Printer, copyright 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Saving the best for last, the best unexpected encounter in the books although one that I missed was Jamie coming back form the dead in the last book.

"It isn't Geordie," I said. My voice was higher than usual. "It's me, " I said. "Claire."

He straightened up very slowly. He wore his hair long; a thick tail of a deep rich auburn sparked with copper. I had time to see that the neat ribbon that tied it back was green, and then he turned around.

He stared at me without speaking. A tremor ran down the muscular throat as he swallowed, but still he didn't say anything.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 31, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 18:46:44 01/30/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 101, Redivius, Copyright 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

"Who are you?" he said hoarsely, wheeling on Jamie.

I saw Jamie draw himself slowly upright, ignoring the noise below.

"James Fraser," he said. His eyes were fixed on William with a burning intensity, as though to absorb every vestige of a sight he would not see again. "Ye kent me once as Alex Mac Kenzie. At Helwater.

William blinked, blinked again, and his gaze shifted momentarily to John. "And who -- who the bloody hell am I?"

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 30, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 20:23:57 01/29/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 41, Journey's End, copyright 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Are you --- you're Jamie Fraser, aren't you?"

He glanced sharply at her face.

"I am," he said. The wariness had returned to his face; his eyes narrowed against the sun. Hw glanced quickly behind him, toward the tavern, but nothing stirred in the open doorway. He took a step closer.

"Who asks?" he said softly. "Have you a message for me lass?"

She felt an absurd desire to laugh welling up in her throat. Did she have a message?

"My name is Brianna," she said.

FYI - I have been reading a book by John Sandford called Bad Blood. This line was in it. "She got her book, a novel by Diana Gabaldon." He must like her books to give her this nod.

Replies:

• QOTD -- Lady Beth, 21:17:10 01/28/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 15, Revelations of the Bridal Chamber, Copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"What are you doing?" he asked, shocked.

"Just what it looks like. Hold still." After a few moments, I began to use my teeth, pressing progressively harder until he drew in his breath with a sharp hiss. I stopped.

"Did I hurt you?" I asked.

"Yes. A little." He sounded half-strangled.

"Do you want me to stop?"

"No!"

This was a close as I could come to my theme of unexpected encounters and still not disappoint fans of the Wed. quote.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, January 28, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 19:38:43 01/27/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 46, Comes A Stranger, copyright 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Roger felt a jolt like an electric shock.

He hadn't seen the man at the edge of the clearing, though he must have been there all the time, standing motionless. He wore the faded hunting kilt whose browns and greens blended into the grass and brush, as his flaming hair blended with the brilliant leaves. He looked as if he'd grown out of the forest.
    Beyond the sheer unexpectedness of his appearance, it was his looks that stunned Roger into speechlessness. It was one thing to have been told that Jamie Fraser resembled his daughter. It was another to see Brianna's bold features transmuted into power by the stamp of years, and fronting a personality not only thoroughly masculine, but fierce in aspect."

Replies:

• Jusy a wee reminder....... -- Judie, 23:05:24 01/26/14 Sun
    Quoters are needed after next week.............

And, I'm sure I speak for everyone that your efforts are appreciated and folks love the quotes.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, January 27, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 18:47:16 01/26/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21, Untimely Resurrection, copyright 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

"I'm sorry," I began, breathlessly. "I thought you were ---- oh, Jesus H fucking Christ!"

My initial impression -- that I had encountered Alexander Randall -- had lasted no more than the split second necessary to see the eyes above that finely chiseled mouth. The mouth was much like Alex's, bar the deep lines around it. But those cold eyes could belong to only one man.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, January 26, 2014 -- Lady Beth, 20:51:17 01/25/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1, A New Beginning, Copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Sounds a bit rude, but not very ghostly," I observed, draining my glass. "What did he look like?"

"Big chap," said Frank, frowning in recollection. "And a Scot, in complete Highland rig-out, complete to sporran and the most beautiful running-stag brooch on his plaid. I wanted to ask where he got it from, but he was off before I could".

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, January 24, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:05:51 01/24/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from 'An Echo In The Bone' by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 76 "BY THE WIND GRIEVED". Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "Ian," she said, in a tone I'd never heard her use before. "Ian, they've
    come. Your son's come home."
        Ian the elder was sitting in a large armchair close to the fire, a warm rug over
    his legs. He struggled to his feet at once, a little unsteady on the wooden peg
    he wore in replacement of a leg lost in battle, and took a few steps toward us.
       "Ian," Jamie said, his voice soft with shock. "God, Ian." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 24, 2014 -- LisaW, 20:36:40 01/23/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from 'An Echo In The Bone' by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 72 "THE FEAST OF ALL SAINTS". Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" " And you climbed the hill, to the stones," Brianna said, her own chest feel
    -ing tight at the thought.
       "Do you know what date it was?" Roger broke in.
       "Summer," William Buccleigh said slowly. "Near Midsummer Day, but I
    couldna swear to the day exactly. "Why?"
        "The summer solstice," Brianna said, and hiccuped slightly. "It's--we
    think it's open. The--whatever it is--on the sun feasts and the fire feasts."
       The sound of a car coming down the drive came faintly to them, and all
    three looked up as though surprised in some furtive business.
       "Annie and the kids. What are we going to do with him?" She asked Roger. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 23, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:21:16 01/22/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from 'An Echo In The Bone' by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 60 "DESERTER GAME, ROUND II". Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"It was twilight, but they were by now no more than fifty yards away; there
    was no mistaking it. He hadn't seen the boy since he was twelve, but he had
    memorized every moment they'd spent in each other's presence: the way he
    carried himself, the quick, graceful movement--that's from his mother, he
    thought in a daze of shock, seeing the tall young officer make a gesture of the
    hand that was Geneva Dunsany to the life--the shape of his back, his head
    and ears, though the slender shoulders had thickened to a man's. Mine, he
    thought, with a surge of pride that shocked him nearly as much as William's
    sudden appearance had. They're mine.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, January 22, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:21:21 01/21/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from 'An Echo In The Bone' by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 89 "INK-STAINED WRETCH". Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Your Ink-stain'd Wretch and Most Devoted Husband,
        James Fraser

Postscriptum: Ink-stained Wretch, indeed, as I see that I have con-
    triv'd to cover both my Paper and my Person with unsightly Blots. I
    flatter myself that the Paper is the more disfigured.

Postscriptum 2: I have been so absorbed in Composition as to forget
    my original Intent in writing: to say that I have booked Passage on the
    Euterpe, sailing from Brest in two Weeks' Time. Should anything tran-
    spire to prevent this, I will write again.

Postscriptum 3: I yearn to lie beside you again, and know your Body
    complicit with mine. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, January 21, 2014 -- LisaW, 20:26:41 01/20/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from 'An Echo In The Bone' by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 34 "PSALMS 30". Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

June 2, 1777
         Fort Ticonderoga

" "Fort Ticonderoga?" Bree's voice rose in astonishment, and she all but
    jerked the letter from Roger's hands. "What on earth are they doing in Fort
    Ticonderoga?"
       "I don't know, but if ye'll settle for a moment, we'll maybe find out."
       She didn't reply but came round the desk and leaned over, her chin
    propped on his shoulder, her hair brushing his cheek as she focused anxiously
    on the page.
       "It's okay," he said, turning to kiss her cheek. "It's your mum, and she's in
    an especially parenthetical mood. She doesn't normally do that unless she's
    feeling happy." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, January 20, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:32:57 01/19/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from 'An Echo In The Bone' by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 11 "TRANSVERSE LIE". Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Claire came out, pulling up the hood of her cloak, her basket over her arm.
    Voices followed her, and bodies crowded the door. She turned to wave
    farewell to them, and he heard her laugh; the sound of it sent a small thrill of
    pleasure through him.
       The door closed and she came down the path in the gray-lit dark; he could
    see that she staggered just a little, from weariness, and yet there was an air of
    something about her--he thought it might be the same euphoria that lifted
    him.
       "Like the sparks that fly upward," he murmured to himself, and smiling,
    stepped out to greet her.
       She wasn't startled, but turned at once and came toward him, seeming al-
    most to float on the snow. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, January 19, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:08:03 01/18/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from 'An Echo In The Bone' by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1 "SOMETIMES THEY"RE REALLY DEAD". Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana
    Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "I saw you speaking to Mr. and Mrs. MacKenzie," Lord John said casually.
    "I trust they are well?" He glanced down the quay, but the MacKenzies had
    long since disappeared from view.
       "Seemed so," Willie said. He was not going to ask where they stayed, but
    the impression the young woman had made on him lingered. He couldn't say
    if she was pretty or not; her eyes had struck him, though--a wonderful deep
    blue with long auburn lashes, and fixed on him with a flattering intensity that
    had warmed the cockles of his heart. Grotesquely tall, of course, but--what
    was he thinking? The woman was married--with children! And red-haired, to
    boot. "

Last edited by author: Sat January 18, 2014 21:09:05   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 17th, 2014 -- Cait, 05:59:19 01/17/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 9, Two-thirds of a Ghost. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

His other hand squeezed tighter, pressing the metal of the silver ring into my flesh, reminding me of what remained. I lifted his fist and pressed it hard against my heart in answer. The rain began to fall, in large, wet drops, but neither of us moved.

It came in a rush, dropping a veil over boat and shore, pattering noisily on leaves and deck and water, lending a temporary illusion of concealment. It washed cool and soft across my skin, momentary balm on the wounds of fear and loss.

I felt at once horribly vulnerable and yet completely safe. But then–I had always felt that way with Jamie Fraser.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 16th, 2014 -- Cait, 05:27:18 01/16/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 94, The Paths of Death. Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“The Mark was still visible on the mound at the base of my thumb. A faint white “J”, the mark he’d left on me on the eve of Culloden, when we first faced the stark knowledge of death and separation.

I traced the thin white line with the tip of the knife and felt the seductive whisper of metal on my skin. I’d wanted to die with him then, and he had sent me on with a firm hand. I carried his child; I could not die.

I carried her no longer—but she was still there. Perhaps reachable. I sat motionless for what seemed like a long time, then sighed and put the knife back on the table carefully.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 -- Cait, 06:20:15 01/15/14 Wed
    My inspiration for the quotes this week was my relationship with my fiance. Now I don't fancy us as like Jamie and Claire, I think it would be hard to find any other relationship quite that perfect :), but with everything going so wrong in our lives right now we find strength, comfort and love in each other. I don't know what I would do with out him.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 25 House of Joy. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Only to see them, sae full and sae round-Christ, I could lay my head here forever. But to touch ye, my Sassenach…you wi’ your skin like white velvet, and the sweet long lines of your body…” He paused, and I could feel the working of his throat muscles as he swallowed, his hand moving slowly down the curving slope of waist and hip, the swell and taper of buttock and thigh.

“Dear God,” he said, still softly. “I couldn’t look at ye, Sassenach, and keep my hands from you, nor have ye near me, and not want ye.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, January 14th, 2013 -- Cait, 05:33:33 01/14/14 Tue
    Another of my favorites. I just love the way they interact together.

The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 16, Le Mot Juste. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Yes. Just now, I was actually trying to rank 'I love you. I like you, I worship you, I have to have my cock inside you,’ in terms of their relative sincerity."
    "Did I say that?" he said, sounding slightly startled.
    "Yes. Weren't you listening?"
    "No," he admitted. "I meant every word of it, though." His hand cupped one buttock, weighing it appreciatively. "Still do, come to that."

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, January 13th, 2014 -- Cait, 20:35:02 01/12/14 Sun
    The following quote is one that has always stuck with me, one of my favorites.

The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 66, Child of My Blood. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ ‘I don’t want to live with you, if you came back for duty,’ she said. She looked at me then, her eyes soft with pain. ‘I’ve seen a marriage made from obligation – and I’ve seen one made for love. If I hadn’t –‘ She stopped and swallowed, then went on, looking at Roger. ‘If I hadn’t seen both, I could have lived with obligation. But I have seen both – and I won’t."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, January 12th, 2014 -- Cait, 20:31:28 01/12/14 Sun
    I am so very sorry I missed this this morning! Life just has a way of running away with me these days! So many things to do and places to be. Makes me cherish the moments like the one below! Thank you for your patience everyone!

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 37, What’s In a Name Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"For so many years," he said, "for so long, I have been so many things, so many different men." I felt him swallow, and he shifted slightly, the linen of his nightshirt rustling with starch.

"I was 'Uncle' to Jenny's children, and 'Brother' to her and Ian. 'Milord' to Fergus, and 'Sir' to my tenants. 'Mac Dubh' to the men of Ardsmuir and 'MacKenzie' to the other servants at Helwater. 'Malcolm the printer,' then, and 'Jamie Roy' at the docks." The hand stroked my hair, slowly, with a whispering sound like the wind outside. "But here," he said, so softly I could barely hear him, "here in the dark, with you....I have no name."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, January 11, 2014 -- Lady Allison, 21:48:04 01/10/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 40, I Shall Go Down to the Sea . Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“‘It will have to be the Artemis.” Jared flipped shut the cover of his portable writing desk and rubbed his brow, frowning. Jamie’s cousin had been in his fifties when I knew him before, and was now well past seventy, but the snub-nosed hatchet face, the spare, narrow frame, and the tireless capacity for work were just the same. Only his hair marked his age, gone from lank darkness to a scanty, pure and gleaming white, jauntily ties with a red silk ribbon.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 10, 2014 -- Lady Allison, 22:13:03 01/09/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 30,Lallybroch . Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Jared Munro Fraser had stood by me, watching benignly the flow of passing seaborne wealth, some of it his. It was one of his ships, the Portia, that would carry us to Scotland. Jamie had told me that all Jared’s ships were named for his mistresses, the figureheads carved in the likenesses of the ladies in question. I squinted against the wind at the prow of the ship, trying to decide whether Jamie had been teasing me. If not, I concluded, Jared preferred his women well endowed.
    “I shall miss you both,” Jared said, for the fourth time in half an hour. He looked truly regretful, even his cheerful nose seeming less upturned and optimistic than usual. The trip to Germany had been a success; he sported a large diamond in his stock, and the coat he wore was a rich bottle-green velvet with silver buttons.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 9, 2014 -- Lady Allison, 21:25:16 01/08/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 7, Royal Audience. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Jared’s house in Paris stood in the Rue Tremoulins. It was a wealthy district, with stone-faced houses of three, four, and five stories crowded cheek by jowl together. Here and there a very large house stood alone in its own park, but for the most part, a reasonably athletic burglar could have leaped from rooftop to rooftop with no difficulty.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, January 8, 2014 -- Lady Allison, 22:42:48 01/07/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 7, Royal Audience. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“‘But she’s married. Jared told me once that a man of business should never form entanglements with unmarried ladies—he said they demand too much in terms of expense and time. And if ye marry them, they’ll run through your money and you’ll end up a pauper.”
    “Fine opinion he’s got of wives,” I said. “What does he think of your marrying, in spite of all this helpful advice?”
    Jamie laughed. “Well, I havena got any money to start with, so I can hardly be worse off. He thinks you’re verra decorative; he says I must buy ye a new gown, though.”’

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, January 7, 2014 -- Lady Allison, 19:59:48 01/06/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 6, Making Waves. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Jared’s proposal was more than generous; in return for Jamie’s running the French end of the business during the next six months, Jared would not only pay him a salary but would leave his Paris town house, complete with staff, at our disposal.
    “Not at all, not at all,” he said, when Jamie tried to protest this provision. He pressed a finger on the end of his nose, grinning charmingly at me. “A pretty woman to host dinner parties is a great asset in the wine business, Cousin. You have no idea how much wine you can sell, if you let the customers taste it first.”’

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, January 6, 2014 -- Lady Allison, 21:16:30 01/05/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 6, Making Waves. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Jared Munro Fraser was a small, spare, black-eyed man, who bore more than a passing resemblance to his distant cousin Murtagh, the Fraser clansman who had accompanied us to Le Havre. When I first saw Jared, standing majestically in the gaping doors of his warehouse, so that streams of long-shoremen carrying casks were forced to go around him, the resemblance was strong enough that I blinked and rubbed my eyes. Murtagh, so far as I knew, was still at the inn, attending a lame horse.
    Jared had the same lank, dark hair and piercing eyes; the same sinewy, monkey-like frame. But there all resemblance stopped, and as we drew closer, Jamie gallantly clearing a path for me though the mob with elbows and shoulders, I could see the differences as well. Jared’s face was oblong, rather than hatchet-shaped, with a cheerful snub nose that effectively ruined the dignified air conferred at a distance by his excellent tailoring and upright carriage.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, January 5, 2014 -- Lady Allison, 22:05:50 01/04/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 6, Making Waves . Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“And we had. Instead of proceeding directly to Paris, though, we had come down the coast from Ste. Anne to Le Havre, to meet with Jamie’s cousin, Jared Fraser.
    A prosperous Scottish émigré, Jared was an importer of wines and spirits, with a small warehouse indeed here in Le Havre, where he had asked Jamie to meet him, when Jamie had written to say we were en route to Paris.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, January 4, 2014 -- CarolSR, 13:31:23 01/03/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 35 Hogmanay Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Then I heard the sound of footsteps on the porch, and a rapid knock, one-two-three. Jamie, as householder, stepped forward to fling the door open and bid the firstfoot welcome. I was near enough to see the look of astonishment on his face, and looked quickly to see what had caused it.
    Instead of Roger and Brianna, two smaller figures stood on the porch. Skinny and bedraggled, but definitely dark-haired, the two Beardsley twins stepped shyly in together, at Jamie’s gesture.
    “A happy new Year to you, Mr. Fraser” said Josiah, in a bullfrog croak. He bowed politely to me, still holding his brother by the arm. “We’ve come.”
    The general agreement was that dark-haired twins were a most fortunate omen, obviously bringing twice the luck of a single firstfoot.”

WISHING YOU ALL TWICE THE LUCK IN 2014!

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for January 3, 2014 -- CarolSR, 18:14:05 01/02/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 35 Hogmanay Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Custom held that the most fortunate “firstfoot” on a Hogmanay was a tall and handsome dark-haired man; to welcome one as the first visitor across the threshold after midnight brought good fortune to the house for the coming year.
    Roger being beyond argument the tallest-and quite the best –looking – dark man available, he had been elected to be firstfoot, not only for the Big House, as folk called it, but for those homes nearby. Fergus and Marsali and the others who lived near had already rushed off to their houses, to be ready to greet their firstfoot when he should come.”

Replies:

• Quoters needed again. :) -- Judie, 20:32:52 01/01/14 Wed
    Click on the contact admin link above and let me know what weeks you are NOT available. :)

Thanks.

Judie

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, January 2, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:48:24 01/01/14 Wed

“He was pulsing with heat and whisky, alight with a flame of joy; looking at him was enough to kindle my own heart. He saw that, and smiled down at me, the heat of his hand burning through the cloth of my gown.
    “D’ye want to go outside for a moment, Sassenach?” he said, his voice pitched low and rich with suggestion.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, January 1, 2014 -- CarolSR, 16:15:40 12/31/13 Tue
    HAPPY NEW YEAR! WISHING YOU ALL PROSPERITY, HEALTH, AND HAPPINESS IN 2014! 5.5 MONTHS TIL MOHB!

“There is nothing special about January the first, save the meaning we give to it. The ancients celebrated a new year at Imbolc, at the beginning of February, when the winter slackens and the light begins to come back – or the date of the spring equinox, when the world lies in balance between the powers of dark and light. And yet I stood there in the dark, listening to the sound of the cat chewing and slobbering in the cupboard, and felt the power of the earth shift and stir beneath my feet as the year- or something- prepared to change. There was noise and the sense of a crowd nearby, and yet I stood alone, while the feeling rose through me, hummed in my blood.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, December 31, 2013 -- CarolSR, 15:53:47 12/30/13 Mon
    Happy New Year's Eve to All! Stay safe out there!

“The year ended clear and cold, with a small, brilliant moon that rose high in the violet-black vault of the sky, and flooded the coves and trains of the mountainside with light. A good thing, as people came from all over the Ridge – and some, even farther – to keep Hogmanay at “the Big House.”
    The men had cleared the new barn and raked the floor clean for the dancing. Jigs and reels and strathspeys – and a number of other dances for which I didn’t know the names, but they looked like fun –were executed under the light of bear-oil lanterns, accompanied by the music of Evan Lindsay’s scratchy fiddle and the squeal of his brother Murdo’s wooden flute, punctuated by the heart-beat thump of Kenny’s bodhran.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, December 30, 2013 -- CarolSR, 16:00:09 12/29/13 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 33 Thy Brother’s Keeper Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“It’s nearly Hogmanay,” Jamie said, looking out the window at the soft snowfall that blanketed the fields of Lallybroch. “It seems a good time for beginnings, I thought.”

“I think so, too.” I got out of bed and came to him at the window, putting my arms around his waist. We stayed locked together, not speaking…”

Replies:

• Qoute of the Day for Sunday, December 29, 2013 -- CarolSR, 15:20:41 12/28/13 Sat
    Another year ends and a new one begins. It's a time for reflection on days gone by, and anticipation for days to come. Wishing you all a healthy, happy and peaceful 2014.

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1 – A New Beginning Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Old Days?”
    “The ancient feasts, “ he explained, still lost in his mental notes. “Hogmanay, that’s New Year’s, Midsummer Day, Beltane and All Hallows’. Druids, Beaker Folk, early Picts, everybody kept the sun feasts and the fire feasts, so far as we know. Anyway, ghosts are freed on the holy days, and can wander about at will, to do harm or good as they please.” He rubbed his chin thoughfully. It’s getting on for Beltane – close to the spring equinox. Best keep an eye out next time you pass the kirkyard.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, December 28, 2013 -- CindyG, 22:21:40 12/27/13 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 35, "Hogmanay." Copyright (c) 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Custom held that the most fortunate 'firstfoot' on a Hogmanay was a tall and handsome dark-haired man; to welcome one as the first visitor across the threshold after midnight brought good fortune to the house for the coming year.
    Roger being beyond argument the tallest -- and quite the best-looking -- dark man available, he had been elected to be firstfoot, not only for the Big House, as folk called it, but for those homes nearby. Fergus and Marsali and the others who lived near had already rushed off to their homes, to be ready to greet their firstfoot when he should come.
    A red-haired man, though, was frightful ill luck as a firstfoot, and Jamie had been consigned to his study, under the riotous guard of the Lindsay brothers, who were to keep him safely bottled up 'til after midnight."

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, December 27, 2013 -- CindyG, 21:08:24 12/26/13 Thu
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 34, "Charms." Copyright (c) 2001by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Hogmanay was a different kettle of fish, though. God knew what feverish pagan roots the Scottish New Year's celebration sprang from, but there was a reason why I wanted to have a good lot of medicinal preparations made up in advance -- the same reason Jamie was now up at the whiskey spring, deciding which barrels were sufficiently aged as not to poison anyone."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, December 26' 2013 -- CindyG, 21:42:38 12/25/13 Wed
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 34, "Charms." Copyright (c) 2001by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Catholic as many of them were -- and nominally Christian as they all were -- Highland Scots regarded Christmas primarily as a religious observance, rather than a major festive occasion. Lacking priest or minister, the day was spent much like a Sunday, though with a particularly lavish meal to mark the occasion, and the exchange of small gifts. My own gift from Jamie had been the wooden ladle I was presently using, its handle carved with the image of a mint leaf. I had given him a new shirt with a ruffle at the throat for ceremonial occasions, his old one having worn quite away at the seams.
    With a certain amount of forethought, Mrs. Bug, Brianna, Marsali, Lizzie, and I had made up an enormous quantity of molasses toffee, which we had distributed as a Christmas treat to all the children within earshot. Whatever it might do to their teeth, it had the beneficial effect of gluing their mouths shut for long periods, and in consequence, the adults had enjoyed a peaceful Christmas. Even Germain had been reduced to a sort of tuneful gargle."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 25, 2013 -- CindyG, 21:28:31 12/24/13 Tue
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 33, "Home For Christmas." Copyright (c) 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"There was a branch of juniper tacked above the window, heavy with its clouded blue-green berries. He reached up and broke off a sprig, kissed it, and tucked it into the neck of her gown, between her breasts, as a token of truce -- and apology.
    'Merry Christmas. Now, what was it about the geese?'
    She put a hand to the juniper sprig, a half-smile growing, then fading.
    'Oh. Well. It's not important. It's just . . .' He followed the direction of her eyes, turned, and saw the sheet of paper, propped up behind the basin on the washstand.
    It was a drawing, done in charcoal; wild geese against a stormy sky, striving through the air above a lash of wind-tossed trees. It was a wonderful drawing, and looking at it gave him the same odd feeling at the heart that hearing the geese had done -- half joy, half pain.
    'Merry Christmas,' Brianna said softly, behind him."

Merry Christmas! I just couldn't do a regular Wednesday quote this week.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 24, 2013 -- CindyG, 21:37:02 12/23/13 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 17, "Home for the Holidays." Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Supper, casual chat, and maybe a walk by the river. She'd wanted to go to the Christmas Eve services. After that. . .
    After that, he would ask her, make it formal. She would say yes, he knew. And then. . .
    Why, then they would come home, to a house dark and private. With themselves alone, on a night of sacrament and secret, with love newly come into the world. And he would lift her in his arms and carry her upstairs, on a night when virginity's sacrifice was no loss of purity, but rather the birth of everlasting joy."

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 23, 2013 -- CindyG, 21:22:33 12/22/13 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 17, "Home for the Holidays." Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Now, the plum pudding's in the warming oven, and the hard sauce in the wee pan to the back," Fiona instructed him, pulling on her fuzzy woolen hat. It was red, Fiona was short, and in it she looked like a garden gnome.
    Don't turn the flame up too high, mind. And dinna turn it out altogether, either, or you'll never get it lit again."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, December 22, 2013 -- CindyG, 22:13:46 12/21/13 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 10, "The Oath-Taking." Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"The walls were decked with myrtle branches, yew and holly, and the fragrance of the evergreens rose up into the gallery, mingled with the smoke of fires and the harsh reek of men. There were dozens of them, coming, going, standing in small groups scattered throughout the hall, and all clad in some version of the clan tartan, be it only a plaid or a tartan bonnet worn above ordinary working shirt and tattered breeches. The actual patterns varied wildly, but the colors were mostly the same -- dark greens and white."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, December 21, 2013 -- Lady Linda, 16:54:48 12/20/13 Fri
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 119, Loth To Depart, Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“I love you,” I whispered, and slid under the sheet beside him, putting my arms around him, hugging him close, warmer than the stone—so much warmer—and his heart beat with mine.”

“I’m none so brave as I was before, ken?” he said very softly. “Not brave enough to live without ye anymore.”

But brave enough to try.

I drew his head down to me, stroking the tumble of his hair, coarse and smooth at once, live beneath my fingers.

“Lay your head down, man,” I said softly. “It’s a long time ‘til dawn.”

No special theme this week. I have just included some of my favorite scenes from A Breath of Snow and Ashes. Wishing you all a warm and family-oriented holiday season.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, December 20, 2013 -- Lady Linda, 18:13:16 12/19/13 Thu
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 120, If Only For Myself, Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

Jamie looked down at Jem, who was clinging to his hand, looking back and forth between father and grandfather, confusion, fright, and longing in his face.

“If one day, a bhailach, Jamie said conversationally, “ye should meet a verra large mouse named Michael—ye’ll tell him your grandsire sends his regards.” He opened his hand, then, letting go, and nodded toward Roger.

This is the scene that breaks my heart each time I read it.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, December 19, 2013 -- Lady Linda, 17:37:41 12/18/13 Wed
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 117, Surely Justice and Mercy Shall Follow Me, Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Ye’ve left it late enough, darlin’,” he said to Brianna, and the cracked lips parted in a grin that split them and left blood on his teeth. “I knew ye’d come, though .”

Roger paddled with one oar, working the boat close, then closer. He was looking over his shoulder when Brianna drew the gilt-handled pistol from her pocket, and put the barrel to Stephen Bonnet’s ear.

“Go with God, Stephen,” she said clearly, in Gaelic, and pulled the trigger. Then she dropped the gun into the water and turned round to face her husband.

“Take us home,” she said.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 18, 2013 -- Lady Linda, 17:48:46 12/17/13 Tue
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 111, January Twenty-First, Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“I dinna much mind if the place bursts into flame by spontaneous combustion, Sassenach, provided I have my supper first.”

“A cold supper were you thinking?” I asked dubiously.

“I was not,” he said firmly. “I mean to light a roaring fire in the kitchen hearth, fry up a dozen eggs in butter, and eat them all, then lay ye down on the hearth rug and roger ye ‘til you----is that all right?” he inquired, noticing my look.

“’Til I what?” I asked, fascinated by his description of the evening’s program.

“’Til ye burst into flame and take me with ye, I suppose,” he said, and stooping, swooped me up into his arms and carried me across the darkened threshold.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 17, 2013 -- Lady Linda, 17:51:08 12/16/13 Mon
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 29, Perfectly Fine, Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Will it heal?” he asked, fingertips moving over the split in my left brow, then down the minefield of my cheek to the scrape on my jaw where Harley Boble’s boot had just missed making a solid connection that would have broken my neck.

“Of course it will. You know that; you’ve seen worse on battlefields.” I would have smiled in reassurance, but didn’t want to open the deep split in my lip again, and made a sort of pouting goldfish mouth, which took him by surprise and made him smile.

“Aye, I know.” He ducked his head a little, shy. “It’s only. . .” His hand still hovered near my face, an expression of troubled anxiety on his own. “Oh God, mo nighean donn, he said softly. “Oh, Christ, your lovely face.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 16, 2013 -- Lady Linda, 19:21:24 12/15/13 Sun
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 20, Dangerous Gifts, Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Oh, I liked ye fine then,” he assured me. “I maybe like ye even more now, though.”

“Oh, do you, indeed.” I sat up a little straighter, preening. “What’s different?”

He tilted his head to one side, eyes narrowing a bit in appraisal.

“Well, ye fart less in your sleep,” he began judiciously, then ducked, laughing, as a pinecone whizzed past his left ear. I seized a chunk of wood, but before I could bat him over the head with it, he lunged and caught me by the arms. He shoved me flat in the grass and collapsed on top of me, pinning me effortlessly.

“Get off, you oaf! I do not fart in my sleep! ”

“Now, how would you ken that, Sassenach? Ye sleep so sound, ye wouldna wake, even to the sound of your own snoring.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, December 15, 2013 -- Lady Linda, 18:24:53 12/14/13 Sat
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 3, Keep Your Friends Close, Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though unable to decide what to do next, then run back into the wood, turn, and run again toward the house, all the while whining with agitation, tail low and wavering.

“Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ,” I said. “Bloody Timmy’s in the well!” I flew down the steps and ran for the path, barely registering the Major’s startled oath behind me.

I found Ian a few hundred yards down the path, conscious, but groggy.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, December 14, 2013. The following quote is taken from Outlander, chapter 41 From the Womb of the Earth. Copyright© 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved -- jayn, 06:13:23 12/14/13 Sat

"Aside from such minor gifts As my life, my manhood, and my right hand?" he asked dryly. "They'll do nicely, mo duinne."

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, December 12, 2013. The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber, chapter 44 In Which Quite A Lot Of Things Gang Agley. Copyright© 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved -- jayn, 05:25:37 12/13/13 Fri

I have the hugest apology to make for not doing the QOTD yesterday. What can I say? I had one planned, it honestly was not until I sat down to do today's that I realized I had plain old forgot. I am sorry, my deepest regrets, twenty lashes with a wet noodle and I just have way too much going on these days.

Back to your regular QOTD

The little clansman looked just as he always did, dour and competent, but I thought there was an extra hint of dignity in his demeanor. He carried one of the saddlebags before him, bulging heavily with something. Perhaps a parting gift for Mrs. Munro, I thought.

Murtagh laid the bag on the floor at my feet,then straightened up and looked from me to Mary, to Hugh Munro's widow , and at last to Jamie, who looked as puzzled as I felt.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 11, 2013. The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber, chapter 33 Thy Brother's Keeper. Copyright© 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved -- jayn, 06:12:17 12/11/13 Wed

"Amber," he said, with satisfaction, as I turned the irregular lump over with a forefinger. It seemed warm to the touch, and I closed my hand over it, almost unconsciously.

"It need polishing, of course," he explained. "But I thought it would make ye a bonny necklace." He flushed slightly, watching me. "It's...it's a gift for our first year of marriage.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 10, 2013. The following quote is taken from Outlander, chapter 41 From the Womb of the Earth. Copyright© 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved -- jayn, 05:42:53 12/10/13 Tue

"I have a gift for you too," I said suddenly to Jamie. He turned toward me and his hand slid, large and sure, over the plane of my still-flat stomach.

"Have you, now?" he said.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 9, 2013. The following quote is taken from Outlander, chapter 40 Absolution. Copyright© 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved -- jayn, 05:23:37 12/09/13 Mon

"A good marriage is one of the most precious gifts from God," he observed. "If you had the good sense to recognize and accept the gift, it is no reproach to you. And consider..." He tilted his head to one side, like a brown sparrow.

"You have been gone from your place for nearly a year..."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, December 8, 2013. The following quote is taken from Outlander, chapter 31 Quarter Day. Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved -- jayn, 06:06:54 12/08/13 Sun

"Lord, they're gorgeous! I've never seen anything so...so wonderfully barbaric."

Jenny was amused. "Aye, that they are. Someone gave them to Mother as a wedding gift, but she never would say who."

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of April 6 - MiladyM
    Week of April 13 - CindyG
    Week of April 20 - CarolSR
    Week of April 27 - Lady Linda
    Week of May 4 - LisaW
    Week of May 11 - Lady Stormwing
    Week of May 18 - Lady Elizabeth
    Week of May 25 -
    Week of June 1 -

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.