VoyForums

Thursday, December 18, 03:24:43amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

The book discussions are NOW INCLUDING MOBY!
If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - - Swarl -- Swarl, 05:43:47 12/17/14 Wed
    No humping in this week’s father-son sequence. If you are desperate, try, “A coda in Three-Two Time,” on p.537 of MOBY

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 133 "Last Resort". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"If you think the risk too great —" William began, an edge to his voice, but Fraser stopped him, gripping his arm.
    "Ye've a claim to my help," he said, voice low and brusque. "For any venture ye deem worthy. But I've a family who have a claim to my protection. I canna leave them to starve if I'm taken."
    William had no chance to reply to this; Fraser had locked the door and was already walking off, beckoning impatiently. . . . .
    "For any venture ye deem worthy." Not a word about Jane’s being a whore or about her being a confessed murderess. Perhaps it was that Fraser himself was a criminal and felt some sympathy on that account.
    Or maybe it's just that he's willing to take my word that I have to do it. And willing to take the devil of a risk to help me.

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, December 16, 2014 - - Swarl -- swarl, 18:30:50 12/15/14 Mon
    Well, this isn't exactly Jamie and Willie, but then again,it isn't exactly not Jamie and Willie. Hal and John are headed toward Philly with no firm plans and a flag of truce.

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 86, "In Which Rosy-Fingered Dawn Shows Up Mob-Handed". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"And who else has a better reason for helping us in this matter than does Jamie Fraser?"
    "Who indeed?" They rode for some time in silence. Hal apparently lost in thought. It wasn't until they paused to find a creek and water the horses that he spoke again, water streaming down his face where he’d splashed it.
    "So, you’ve not only somehow married Fraser's wife, but you've accidentally been raising his illegitimate son for the last 15 years?"
    "Apparently so," Grey said, in a tone that he hoped indicated complete unwillingness to talk about it. For once, Hal took the hint.
    "I see," he said, and, with no further questions, wiped his face with the flag of truce and mounted up.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, December 15, 2014 - - -- swarl, 05:31:19 12/15/14 Mon
    Hal, who now knows the truth, is tending to wounded Willie.

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 80 "Pater Noster". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"You might have done worse," his Uncle observed after a moment. "In the way of sires, I mean."
    "Oh really?" William said coldly.
    "Granted, he is a Scot," the duke said judiciously.
    "And a traitor."
    "And a traitor," Hal agreed. "Damned fine swordsman, though. Knows his horses."
    "He was a f***ing groom for God's sake! Of course he knows horses!" Fresh outrage made William jerk upright again, despite the thunder in his temples. "What am I bloody going to do?"
    His uncle sighed deeply and put the cork back in the flask,
    "Advice? You're too old to be given it and too young to take it." He glanced aside at William, his face very like Papa's. Thinner, older, dark brows beginning to beetle, but with that same rueful humor in the corners of his eyes. "Thought of blowing your brains out?"
    William blinked, startled.
    "No."
    "That's good. Anything else is bound to be an improvement, isn't it?"

Replies:

• (B)Quote of the Day for Sunday, December 14, 2014 - - (/B) -- Swarl, 06:23:12 12/14/14 Sun
    So I get up (late) and sit down with my coffe and open my ipad to look at QUOTD, which is always the first order of business, and leap out of the couch yelling, "I forgot. I forgot. Its my week!!!!." Then my slow computer decided to get so slow that I couldn't figure out how to get the title in Bold. I promise the formatting will be better tomorrow. So now that I have inspired your confidence. Here we go.
    I was going to give us a week of Hal, but then realized that I kept coming back to Willie and Jamie in my re-reads. I love that they get to know each other thru actions and not words. So here we go. Enjoy.
    This is Jamie convincing Willie to free Ian whom he betrayed to the Brits after their fight.

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21, "Bloody Men". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Jamie grabbed him by the upper arm again, and this time dug his fingers hard .....into the underside of the bone. William let out a strangled "Agh" and started to pant his eyes bulging.
    "You're going to catch up with the men ye sent Ian with and tell them to set him free," Jamie said evenly. "If ye don't, I go down under a flag of truce to the camp where they are taking him, introduce myself, tell the commander who you are, and explain the reason for the fight. Ye'll be right there beside me. Do I make myself clear?" he asked, increasing the pressure of his fingers.
    "Yes!" The word came out in a hiss, and Jamie let go suddenly, folding his hands into a fist to hide the fact that they were trembling and twitching from the effort.
    "God damn you, sir," William whispered, and his eyes were black with violence. "God damn you to hell."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, December 13, 2014 -- Happiapple, 06:01:01 12/13/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 9 "Two-thirds of a Ghost". Copyright© 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

It was the same hand now, pale and long-fingered, the knuckles slightly bony--oddly bare without my ring, but recognizably my hand. Yet it lay in a hand so much larger and rougher that is seemed small, and fragile by comparison.
    His other hand squeezed tighter, pressing the metal of the silver ring into my flesh, reminding me of what remained. I lifted his fist and pressed it hard against my heart in answer. The rain began to fall, in large, wet drops, but neither of us moved.

Thanks for allowing me to do the quotes this week. Sorry today's is a little late. Really tired last night, and I meant to get up early, but didn't. I have a good time doing these, and it always amazes me how well I remember the books. Some I've only read twice, but they obviously mean so much to me that I remember right where incidents occur. Have a great week.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, December 12, 2014 -- Happiapple, 20:37:16 12/11/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 46 "TIMOR MORTIS CONTURBAT ME". Copyright© 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Unwrapping the blood-spotted handkerchief, I pressed my wounded hand tightly against his, fingers gripped together. The blood was warm and slick, not yet sticky between our hands.
    "Blood of my blood..." I whispered.
    "...and Bone of my Bone," he answered softly. Neither of us could finish the vow, "so long as we both shall live," but the unspoken words hung aching bewteen us. Finally he smiled crookedly.
    "Longer than that," hes said firmly, and pulled me to him once more.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, December 11, 2014 -- Happiapple, 20:59:37 12/10/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 24 "A. Malcolm, Printer". Copyright© 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I stretched out a hand toward him, as much to stop as to welcome him. I wanted more than anything to touch him again, but was unaccountably shy. After so long, how were we to start again?
    He felt the constraint of mingled shyness and intimacy as well. Stopping a few inches from me, he took my hand. He hesitated for a moment, then bent his head over it, his lips barely brushing my knuckles. His fingers touched the silver ring and stopped there, holding the metal lightly between thumb and forefinger.
    "I never took it off," I blurted. It seemed important he should know that. He squeezed my hand lightly, but didn't let go.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, December 10, 2014 -- Happiapple, 20:18:57 12/09/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 94 "The Sense of Meeting". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

A hush fell upon the room, and for a little while there was no sound but the remote noise of the streets outside. Here and there a cough, the clearing of a throat, but, overall, silence. Jamie laid a hand on mine, and my fingers turned to intertwine with his. I could feel his pulse in my own fingertips, the solid bones of knuckle and phalanges. His right hand, battered and marked with the scars of sacrifice and labor. Marked also with the signs of my love, the crude repairs done in pain and desperation.
    Blood of my blood, bone of my bone...

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, December 9, 2014 -- Happiapple, 20:00:14 12/08/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 52 "A Wedding Takes Place". Copyright© 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"I want him." I had not said that to Jamie at our marriage; I had not wanted him, then. But I had said it since, three times; in two moments of choice at Craigh na Dun, and once again at Lallybroch.
    "I want him." I wanted him still, and nothing whatever could stand between us.
    He was looking down at me; I could feel the wight of his gaze, dark blue and tender as the sea at dawn.
    "What are ye thinking, mo chridhe?" he asked softly.
    I blinked back the tears and smiled at him. His hands were large and warm on mine.
    "What I tell you three times is true," I said. And standing on tiptoe, I kissed him as the sailors' cheer went up.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, December 8, 2014 -- Happiapple, 21:07:32 12/07/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 14 "Happy the Bride the Moon Shines On". Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Jamie reached across and took my right hand in his, his fingers linking with mine, and the silver of my ring shone red in the glow of the flames. I looked up into his face and saw the promises spoken in his eyes, as it was in mine.
    "As long as we both shall live."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, December 7, 2014 -- Happiapple, 21:07:46 12/06/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 14 “A Wedding Takes Place”. copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

A Highlander in full regalia is an impressive sight--any Highlander, no matter how old, ill-favored, or crabbed in appearance. A tall, straight-bodied, and by no means ill-favored young Highlander at close range is breath-taking.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, December 6, 2014 -- LisaW, 21:28:43 12/05/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 43 “Succession”. copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

” He lay for some time, his throat aching, listening to the dark,
    hearing the voices of his dead pass by in the wind. His thoughts
    grew vague and his grief eased, comforted by the knowledge of
    love, still alive in the world. Sleep came near again.
       He touched the rough crucifix that lay against his chest and
    whispered to the moving air, “Lord, that she might be safe, she
    and my children.”
       Then turned his cheek to her reaching hand and touched her
    through the veils of time. “

Jamie did so many things to care for and heal others, but his greatest sacrifice was to make Claire leave him so that she and his child would be safe. I hope you all enjoyed this week! Right now I am up in Mt. Shasta City, in northern California. We are on our annual “Wanket Christmas Tree Hunt”, as we call it. There are 18 nieces and nephews, 6 siblings and 5 spouses(one sister-in-law could not come), and 1 brand new son-in-law(mine). I am Blessed to have my family and LOL in my life!

Last edited by author: Fri December 05, 2014 21:33:34   Edited 2 times.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, December 5, 2014 -- LisaW, 18:01:16 12/04/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 99 "BROTHER". Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"But then Father said you would have another whipping, this one for
    lying--for the truth was the truth, after all. I would have got up and fled
    away then, but he bade me stay as I was, and he said to me, quiet, that while
    you would pay the price of my cowardice, he did not think it right for me to
    escape it altogether.
       Do you know that you did not make a sound, the second time? I hope you
    did not feel the strokes of the tawse on your backside, because I felt each one. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, December 4, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:10:14 12/03/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 66 "DEATHBED". Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" Jamie bent, then knelt himself, to come closer to Fraser's ear. The general's
    eyes were closed, but he was conscious; I saw his face twitch at the sound of
    Jamie's voice. His head turned and his eyes opened, the dullness in them
    brightening momentarily in recognition.
       "Ciamar a thu, a charaid?" Jamie asked softly. How are you, cousin?
       The general's mouth twitched a little.
       "Tha ana-cnamhadh an Diabhail orm," he replied hoarsely. "Feumaidh
    gun do dh'ith mi rudegin nach robh dol leam." I have the devil of an indigestion.
    I must have eaten something that disagreed with me.

The British officers stirred a little, hearing the Gaelic, and the young offi-
    cer on the far side of the bed looked up, startled. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 3, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:53:16 12/02/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 25 "Raymond the Heretic". Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "Now," he said. "Call him. Call the red man. Call him."
       The pressure of the fingers within and the palm without grew harder, and I
    pressed my legs against the bed, fighting it. But there was no strength left
    in me to resist, and the inexorable pressure went on, cracking the crystal
    sphere, freeing the chaos within.
       My mind filled with images, worse than the misery of the fever-dreams,
    because more real. Grief and loss and fear racked me, and the dusty scent of
    death and white chalk filled my nostrils. Casting about in the random patterns
    of my mind for help, I heard the voice still muttering, patiently but firmly,
    "Call him," and I sought my anchor.
       "Jamie! JAMIE!" "

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 2, 2014 -- LisaW, 22:17:12 12/01/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 47 "A FATHER'S SONG". Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "It'll make no difference to him," Jamie said, grasping her harder, al-
    most fiercely, as though he could make things right by pure force of will. "If
    he's a decent man, it'll make no difference. And if it does--well, then he
    doesna deserve ye, and I shall beat him into pulp and stamp on the pieces,
    and then go and find ye a better man."
       She gave a small laugh that turned into a sob, and buried her head in the
    cloth of his shoulder. He patted her, rocking and murmuring as though she
    were a tiny girl with a skinned knee, and his eyes met mine over her head.
       I hadn't wept when she had told me; mothers are strong. But now she
    couldn't see me, and Jamie had taken the burden of strength from my
    shoulders for the moment. "

Replies:

• MY SINCEREST APOLOGIES! -- LexyG, 06:08:43 12/01/14 Mon
    All... I want to apologize for not holding up my end of the bargain in doing the QOTD last week. I feel truly awful for not having done so. I have no excuse for letting you all down. Please, please accept my sincerest apologies for not following through. Thank you kgp and Helka for taking over for me.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 1, 2014 -- LisaW, 20:22:40 11/30/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 70 "ALL IS WELL". Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "You are alive," Jamie said. Blue eyes stared intently into his, so close he felt
    warm breath on his face. "You are alive. You are whole. All is well."
       He examined the words with a sense of detachment, turning them over like
    a handful of pebbles, feeling the weight of them in the palm of his mind.
       You are alive. You are whole. All is well.
       A vague feeling of comfort came over him. That seemed to be all he needed
    to know just then. Anything else could wait. The waiting black rose up again,
    with the inviting aspect of a soft couch, and he sank gratefully upon it, still
    hearing the words like plucked harpstrings.
       You are alive. You are whole. All is well. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, November 30, 2014 -- LisaW, 17:57:22 11/29/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 25 "Thou Shalt Not Suffer a Witch to Live". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"He rubbed the chewed leaves gently over my back, and the
    stinging eased considerably.
       "What is that?" I asked, making an effort to control myself. I was still shaky
    and snuffling, but the helpless tears were beginning to ebb.
       "Watercress," he answered, voice slightly muffled by the leaves in his
    mouth. He spat them out and applied them to my back. "You're no the only
    one knows a bit about grass-cures, Sassenach," he said, a bit clearer.
       "How--how does it taste?" I asked, gulping back the sobs.
       "Fair nasty," he replied laconically. He finished his application and laid the
    plaid softly back across my shoulders. "

Last edited by author: Sun November 30, 2014 10:35:21   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, Novemeber 29, 2014 -- kgp, 05:03:28 11/29/14 Sat
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 115. The Raveled Sleeve of Care.

“Oh,” she said, and tried to swallow, but her mouth had dried afresh. He sighed and bent so that his forehead rested on hers. She felt the warmth of his nearness, the warmth of his breath, smelling of beer and the juniper berries he chewed to clean his teeth. His eyes were open but so shadowed that she couldn’t see into them.

“Is thee afraid of me, Rachel?” he whispered.

“I am,” she whispered back, and closed her hand on the wounded shoulder, lightly but hard enough for him to feel the hurt of it. “And I am afraid for thee, as well. But there are things I fear much more than death – and to be without thee is what I fear the most.”

It's notable that Ian uses plain speech here. I hadn't noticed until I typed it. I felt this whole episode frightening for both of them.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, November 28, 2014 -- Helka, 20:54:43 11/27/14 Thu
    The following Quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 17: Wee Demons. Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

The blanket was cunningly wadded so as to appear to contain bodies, but a gust of wind had pulled a corner loose, and he could see that it lay flat.
    He closed his eyes in exasperation, then opened them and glanced down at the dog.

"Why did ye no say something?" he demanded. "Surely ye saw them leave!"
    "We ain't gone," said a gruff, small voice behind him, and he whirled to find the two of them crouched on either side of his open saddlebag, busily rifling it for food.

"We 'uz hungry," said Trudy, matter-of-factly stuffing the remains of a journeycake into her face.
    "I fed ye!" He'd shot a few quail and baked them in mud. Granted, it wasn't a feast, but—

Hermin & Vermin doing their best to survive, and Ian too. *G*

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, November 27, 2014 -- kgp, 17:43:25 11/26/14 Wed
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 26. A Step Into The Dark.

“Thir!” Fanny spoke quite sharply behind William, and he became aware that she’d been there a few moments; she’d said it once or twice before.

“What?” he said impatiently, half turning toward her while trying to keep both jane and Rachel in view.

“There’th and Indian in there,” she said, and pointed toward the woods.

“Ian!”

Rachel ran across the road, fleet as a snipe, and vanished into the trees. William followed hastily, hand on his knife. There was likely more than one Indian in these woods, and if it wasn’t Murray . . .

But he could tell from Rachel’s exclamation of mingled horror and relief from the depths of the wood that it was.

I was going to try to find one more specific to being thankful but then remembered this and how thankful I was that Ian was found.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, November 26, 2014. -- Helka, 21:13:43 11/25/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 16 Room For Secrets.

"That I maybe could. Give ye bairns, I mean."

He only realized that Rachel had been holding her breath when she let it out, a sigh that brushed his cheek.

"Do ye—" he began, but she had risen a little, into him, and kissed him gently on the mouth, then held his head against her breast and took the end of her kerchief and wiped his eyes and then her own.

"Oh Ian," she whispered. I do love thee."

I chose this quote, to continue yesterday's. I think Ian saw that his marriage didn't have room even for secrets and so made all clear with Rachel and the took the risk that Rachel could walk away.

Replies:

• Fill in QOTD for Tuesday November 25, 2014 -- kgp, 02:56:55 11/25/14 Tue
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, copyright 2005. Chapter 82, Not The End Of The World. All rights reserved

“Ian,” I said, with as much firmness as I could muster, “Malva’s child could not possibly be Jamie’s. You do believe that, don’t you?”

He nodded, very slowly, but wouldn’t meet my eyes.
    “I do,” he said softly, and then swallowed hard. “But, Auntie . . . it could be mine.”

A bee had lighted on my arm. I stared at it, seeing the veins in its glassy wings, the dust of yellow pollen that clung to the miniscule hairs of its legs and abdomen, the gentle pulsing of its body as it breathed.

“Oh, Ian,” I said as softly as he’d spoken himself. “Oh, Ian.”

He was strung tight as a marionette, but when I spoke, a little of the tension left the arm under my hand, and I saw that he had closed his eyes.

“I’m sorry, Auntie,” he whispered.”

Ian just breaks my heart

Replies:

• Getting us through Monday -- Helka, 05:59:11 11/24/14 Mon
    Quote of the Day for Monday 24th November, 2014
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 55, Wendigo. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Like most eyes, they weren’t one colour at all, but many—the colors of autumn, dark wet earth
    and crackling oak leaves, and the touch of setting sun on dry grass.

The colour was a challenge, but one she could meet.
    The expression, though—it changed in an instant from
    something so guillelessly amiable as to seem almost half-witted
    to something you wouldn’t want to meet in a dark alley.

Replies:

• Just to hold us for a bit -- kgp, 09:51:36 11/23/14 Sun
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 6: Ambush

“Did Auntie Claire tell ye about – about a war? One coming, I mean. With England.”

There was a moment’s silence, his uncle’s big form gone still against the light from the door.

“She has,” he said, and took away his hand. “Did she tell you?”

“No, Cousin Brianna did.” He lay down on his side, careful of his tender head. “D’ye believe them?”

There was no hesitation this time.

“Aye, I do.” It was said with his uncle’s usual dry matter-of-factness, but something in it prickled the hairs on the back of Ian’s neck.

“Oh. Well, then.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, November 22, 2014 -- kgp, 20:29:20 11/21/14 Fri
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 30. Lights, Action, Sirens.

“Jem didn’t remember standing up, but he was pressed against the filing cabinet, squeezing the can so hard that the bubbly Coke blurped out and foamed over his fingers.

“You come with me, boy,” said the man who’d hit Mr. MacLeod. He was holding what Jem thought must be a cosh, though he’d never seen one. He couldn’t move, even if he’d wanted to.

The man made an impatient noise, stepped over Mr. MacLeod like he was a bag of rubbish, and grabbed Jem by the hand. Out of sheer terror, Jem bit him, hard. The man yelped and let go, and Jem threw the can of Coke right at his face, and when the man ducked, he tore past him and out of the office and down the long hallway, running for his life.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, November 21, 2014 -- kgp, 03:01:06 11/21/14 Fri
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 97. A Man To Do A Man’s Job

“You want a Pop-Tart, princess?”

“Yes!” Mandy’s buttery round face lighted up, but Jem glanced at Mam, Mam looked as if she wanted to kick Uncle Joe under the counter for a second, but then glanced down at Mandy and her face fell all soft.

“All right,” she said, and Jem felt a fluttery, excited sort of feeling in his middle. Mam was telling Uncle Joe how far the school was, but Jem wasn’t paying attention. They were going to do it. They were really going to do it!

Because the only reason Mam would let Mandy eat Pop-Tarts without a fuss was because she figured she’s never get to eat another one.

Replies:

• Holy COW! -- Judie, 01:03:00 11/21/14 Fri
    Nobody wants to do quotes the weeks of Christmas and New Year's?!

I thought they'd be going like hotcakes. :D

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, Novemebr 20, 2014 -- kgp, 03:46:36 11/20/14 Thu
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 97. A Man To Do A Man’s Job

“I don’t need looking after!”

“Maybe not,” Joe told him, “but you got about six years, sixty pounds, and another two feet to grow before you can look after your mama. ‘Til you get big enough that nobody can just pick you up and carry you off, she’s got to worry about you.”

Jem looked as if he wanted to argue the point, but he was at the age where logic did sometimes prevail, and happily this was one of those times. He made a small “mmphm” sound in his throat, which startled Bree, and sat back on the ottoman, still frowning.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, November 18, 2014 -- kgp, 19:19:13 11/18/14 Tue
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 109. Frottage

“Fast?” he murmured against her mouth. “Slow?

“Horozontal,” she murmured back, clutching his bottom. “Speed irrelevant.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, November 18, 2014 -- kgp, 17:33:32 11/17/14 Mon
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 31. The Shine of a Rocking Horse’s Eyes

“Will your son be studying the law, then, in Paris?” Roger asked abruptly. He picked up the fresh dram Brian had poured for him and took a sip.

“Aye, well, he’d maybe make a decent lawyer,” Fraser admitted. “He could argue ye into the ground, I’ll say that for him. But I think he hasna got the patience for law or politics.” He smiled suddenly. “Jamie sees at once what he thinks should be done and canna understand why anyone else should think otherwise. And he’d rather pound someone than persuade them, if it comes to that.”

Roger laughed ruefully.

“I understand the urge,” he said.

Last edited by author: Tue November 18, 2014 06:00:41   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, November 17, 2014 -- kgp, 17:56:53 11/16/14 Sun
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 26. A Step Into The Dark.

“Something like an electric shock ran right through him. He gasped and fell over backward. The only thing in his mind was the idea that somebody had hit him with a lightsaber like Luke Skywalker’s, and for a minute he thought maybe whoever it was had cut off his head.

He couldn’t feel his body, but he could see in his mind his body lying bleeding in the dark and his head sitting right there on the train tracks in the dark, and his head couldn’t see his body or even know it wasn’t attached anymore. He made a breathless kind of noise that was trying to be a scream, but it made his stomach move and he felt that, he felt it, and suddenly he felt a lot more like praying.”

Replies:

• QOTD for November 16, 2014 -- kgp, 04:27:22 11/16/14 Sun

Going back to the stairs, she gave Mandy the bat to hold and smiled at her. She pushed a strand of sweaty hair behind her ear.

“Okay. We’re going to put Mr. Rob in the priest’s hole. You go and open the door for Mummy, all right?”

“I hit him?” Mandy asked hopefully, clutching the bat.

“No, I don’t think you need to do that, darling. Just open the door.”

Replies:

• Oh how I love my Lally family! -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 17:22:12 11/15/14 Sat
    First of all, VAL!!! Thanks you so much, my sweet friend, for jumping in mid-week and finishing out the week. I owe you BIG TIME!
    I must apologize to Everyone for melting into the shrubbery and disappearing like the Cheshire Cat. I just feel terribly embarrassed to drop the ball that way. I did indeed get hit fairly quickly with illness but the worst part is that I had a HUGE reaction to one of the antibiotics I was prescribed. It affected every part of my being. I can't even begin to describe the whole nightmare. I shake, I burn up, I feel like I'm dying, my eyesight is squiggly and swirly, I'm so dizzy I can hardly stand. And it gets worse. It is my own private hell. This has happened before and each time it happens it gets worse. And it lasts days after I stop taking the medication. I am, today, back to almost normal. I still have some of the dizziness and some of the eye disfunction. I can read a bit and I can now sit and write. It will be several days before I trust myself to drive. Thankfully, David is wonderful when I'm down and out.
    I love you All, my Lally Friends.

Replies:

• Betsy, I'm so sorry that you've been too sick to post this week of wonderful quotes you had planned for us this week, but I'm glad I could substitute for you. Get better SOON! -- Valerie L., 08:07:59 11/15/14 Sat
    Something to look forward to when the Outlander series returns in April. This is one of my favorite scenes. Sorry it's a wee bit too long, but it was a very hard scene to cut.

The following quote is taken from Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27 The Last Reason. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Jamie had come to stand beside me at the window. Staring absently out at the driving rain, he said, “There was another reason. The main one.”

“Reason?” I said stupidly.

“Why I married you.”

“Which was?” I don’t know what I expected him to say, perhaps some further revelation of his family’s contorted affairs. What he did say was more of a shock, in its way.

“Because I wanted you.” He turned from the window to face me. “More than I ever wanted anything in my life,” he added softly.

I continued staring at him, dumbstruck. Whatever I had been expecting, it wasn’t this. Seeing my openmouthed expression, he continued lightly. “When I asked my da how ye knew which was the right woman, he told me when the time came, I’d have no doubt. And I didn’t. When I woke in the dark under that tree on the road to Leoch, with you sitting on my chest, cursing me for bleeding to death, I said to myself, ‘Jamie Fraser, for all ye canna see what she looks like, and for all she weighs as much as a good draft horse, this is the woman.’”

I started toward him, and he backed away, talking rapidly. “I said to myself, ‘She’s mended ye twice in as many hours, me lad; life amongst the MacKenzies being what it is, it might be as well to wed a woman as can stanch a wound and set broken bones.’ And I said to myself, ‘Jamie, lad, if her touch feels so bonny on your collarbone, imagine what it might feel like lower down . . .’”

He dodged around a chair. “Of course, I thought it might ha’ just been the effects of spending four months in a monastery, without the benefits of female companionship, but then that ride through the dark together”---he paused to sigh theatrically, neatly evading my grab at his sleeve---“with that lovely broad arse wedged between my thighs”---he ducked a blow aimed at his left ear and sidestepped, getting a low table between us---“and that rock-solid head thumping me in the chest”---a small metal ornament bounced off his won head and went clanging to the floor---“I said to myself . . .”

He was laughing so hard at this point that he had to gasp for breath between phrases. “Jamie . . . I said . . . for all she’s a Sassenach bitch . . . with a tongue like an adder’s . . . with a bum like that . . . what does it matter if she’s a f-face like a sh-sh-sheep?”

I tripped him neatly and landed on his stomach with both knees as he hit the floor with a crash that shook the house.

“You mean to tell me that you married me out of love?” I demanded. He raised his eyebrows, struggling to draw in breath.

“Have I not just . . . just been . . . saying so?”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day, Friday, November 14, 2014 -- Valerie L., 08:45:02 11/14/14 Fri
    Betsy, it is not fair that you are sick on your birthday. Get well soon, My Friend. Here's the substitute quote for today. Stay warm and snug, everyone who is feeling winter's blast right now.

The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13, An Examination of Conscience. Copyright © 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Do ye not understand?” he said, in near desperation. “I would lay the world at your feet, Claire---and I have nothing to give ye!”

He honestly thought it mattered.

I sat looking at him, searching for words. He was half turned away, shoulders slumped in despair.

Within an hour, I had gone from anguish at the thought of losing him in Scotland, to a strong desire to bed him in the herbaceous borders, and from that to a pronounced urge to hit him on the head with an oar. Now I was back to tenderness.

At last I took one big, callused hand and slid forward so I knelt on the boards between his knees. I laid my head against his chest, and felt his breath stir my hair. I had no words, but I had made my choice.

“’Whither thou goest,’” I said, “’I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and they God my God. Where thou diest, will I die, and there I will be buried.’” Be it Scottish hill or southern forest. “You do what you have to’ I’ll be there.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day, Thursday, November 13, 2014 -- Valerie L., 07:42:05 11/13/14 Thu
    Betsy lass, we're all hoping you get to feeling better soon and get back with your wonderful quotes if you can. I'll check and dip into my quilt archives until we know you're better and give the substitute QOTD until you're better.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 37, What’s in a Name. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"His hand rested on my hair, and without knowing quite how it happened, I found myself curled against him, my head just fitting in the hollow of his shoulder.

“For so many years,” he said, “for so long, I have been so many things, so many different men.” I felt him swallow, and he shifted slightly, the linen of his nightshirt rustling with starch.

“I was ‘Uncle’ to Jenny’s children, and ‘Brother’ to her and Ian. ‘Milord’ to Fergus, and ‘Sir’ to my tenants. ‘MacDubh’ to the men of Ardsmuir and ‘MacKenzie’ to the other servants at Helwater. ‘Malcolm the printer,’ then, and ‘Jamie Roy’ at the docks.” The hand stroked my hair, slowly, with a whispering sound like the wind outside. “But here,” he said, so softly I could barely hear him, “here in the dark, with you . . . I have no name.”

I lifted my face toward his, and took the warm breath of him between my own lips.

“I love you,” I said, and did not need to tell him how I meant it."

Replies:

• QITD, Wednesday, November 12, 2014 -- Valerie L., 09:27:33 11/12/14 Wed
    Since Betsy still seems to be under the weather, here's a substitute quote for everyone. Get better soon, Betsy!

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 59, In Which Much Is Revealed. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Only you,” he said, so softly I could barely hear him. “To worship ye with my body, give ye all the service of my hands. To give ye my name, and all my heart and soul with it. Only you. Because ye will not let me lie---and yet ye love me.”

I did touch him then.

“Jamie,” I said softly, and laid my hand on his arm. “You aren’t alone anymore.

He turned then and took me by the arms, searching my face.

“I swore to you,” I said. “When we married. I didn’t mean it then, but I swore---and now I mean it.” I turned his hand over in both mine, feeling the thin, smooth skin at the base of his wrist, where the pulse beat under my fingers, where the blade of his dirk had cut his flesh once, and spilled his blood to mingle with mine forever.

I pressed my own wrist against his, pulse to pulse, heartbeat to heartbeat.

“Blood of my blood . . .” I whispered.

“Bone of my bone.” His whisper was deep and husky. He knelt quite suddenly before me, and put his folded hands in mine; the gesture a Highlander makes when swearing loyalty to his chieftain.

“I give ye my spirit,” he said, head bent over our hands.

“Til our life shall be done,” I said softly. “But it isn’t done yet, Jamie, is it?”

Then he rose and took the shift from me, and I lay back on the narrow bed naked, pulled him down to me through the soft yellow light, and took him home, and home, and home again, and we were neither of us alone.”

Replies:

• QOTD, Tuesday November 11, 2014 -- Valerie L., 09:12:55 11/11/14 Tue
    Take care of yourself, Betsy, and dinna fash about the QOTD. here's a little something, probably too long, to tide us over until you feel better. (Sorry, I've forgotten how to do HTML properly.)

The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross, by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 99, Brother, Copyright © 2002 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"Finally he dropped his hand and looked up at me, blinking. His face was
    deeply flushed, there were tears in his eyes, and he wore the most
    remarkable expression in which bewilderment, fury, and laughter were
    all mingled, laughter being only slightly uppermost.

'Oh, God,' he said. He sniffed, and wiped his eyes on the back of his
    hand. 'Oh, Christ. How in hell does she do that?'

'Do what?' I pulled a clean handkerchief from my bodice and handed it
    to him.'
    'Make me feel as though I am eight years old," he said ruefully. "And
    an idiot to boot.'

He wiped his nose, then reached out a hand to touch the flattened
    roses, gently.'"

Replies:

• Sorry -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 20:35:13 11/10/14 Mon
    I'm not feeling well. I really can't sit here for very long.I am going to bed and will post in the morning. Thank you All for being patient.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, Nov. 10th, 2014. -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 20:38:34 11/09/14 Sun
    Good morning/afternoon/evening to Lallybroch! This afternoon I spent my time with two lovely ladies at a Beano Game (same thing as Bingo but this is Maine...nothing is what you'd expect it to be) Yup. Beano/Bingo, complete with paper game cards, "extra" cards that for some reason I thought I needed if I wanted to play in the Big Games (which I didn't. Those cards were across the room, which I found out AFTER I had already purchased those extra ones. I got myself all set up in the Elks Hall, right next to the bathroom...this is important because all three of us take diuretics and while I won't allow my good times to be ruined by my bladder, none of us really wanted to waddle across the room with our knees smashed together, dribbling all the way...purchased my dayglo-pink marker and bought a ham salad finger roll for a snack. My compatriots came along, happy that I had purloined three seats Right In Front of the Pottyplace, and they set up THEIR territory. Now, you must know that there are people, a LOT of people, who play Beano Every Day and they are quite passionate about everything that has to do with their game. And territorial. And they don't care if they throw their weight around. Probably LIKE to scare us peons who are not daily Beano Aficionados. Those of us who don't know all the rules. Those of us who wear trifocals.Those of us who are so confused we start to cry and have to take Tylenol just to play the dammmmm game. I won't mention the smug looks when one of us had to get up and use the little girlie room. Well, my friend Betty's mother is 88 and a pure pistol! SHE knows how to take care of herself. And us. We both hid behind her skirts, peeking out quaking in fear, and let the Mom save the day!

WELL, one thing about living in these New England States, especially Maine, is that Beano is an institution and they usually have good prizes. You don't mess with Beano. You'll lose. Honest. The second raffle was drawn and I heard them call one of my raffle ticket numbers and I yelled loudly BEANOOOO. So did another woman. I asked Betty if the number they had called matched the number on my raffle ticket and she assured me that it did. I didn't sit down. Neither did the other woman. She turned to me with FIRE in her eyes! I was a bit scared to death, but I held my ground. I waved my ticket in the air and shouted "My friend says this is the number and so does her mother and SHE knows everything!!!" I had taken notes watching Grammie part the waters at the Beano table. Low and behold Beanie Queenie had transposed two numbers and I really HAD won! I now have a picture (the items didn't all get here in time but they WILL be here in a week or two. I can wait. As long as Queenie doesn't try to impersonate me and steal my winnings, I have a Longaberger Basket chock full of art supplies. YIPPPPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!! But I'm still scared of all those Beano-ruffians.

The following quote is taken from "Dragonfly in Amber", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32, 'Field of Dreams'. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"What d'ye think, Dorcas? " I heard one woman say to her neighbor. "It's a wee bit queer-tasting, no?"
    Dorcas, so addressed, nodded and swallowed before replying.
    "Aye, it is. But the laird's eaten six o' the things so far, and they have
    havena kilt him yet."
    The response from the men and children was a good deal more enthusiastic, likely owing to the generous quantities of butter supplied with the potatoes.

Replies:

• Good Morning, Lallyland! Just in case there is any doubt, I want to throw it out there that one of the MOST effective weapons against depression and disease is spending time with friends. Particularly, for us gals, with another woman. I met a very dear friend of long standing yesterday for a 10 minute cup of tea, just to touch bases. Three and a half HOURS later, they threw us out of the restaurant. Really. They cleared their throats, they started cleaning, they flickered the lights, finally, they turned the lights completely off. We probably wouldn't have noticed and still be there, but we're both pretty sensitive about hogging other people's time, so we pried ourselves out of our seats and took the gentle hints. We had laughed until our sides hurt, cried just enough, and then laughed some more. Everything that is tilted sideways in my life was effected and we parted, both feeling All was well with the world. We both know how to make it funny. -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 06:50:26 11/09/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24, 'By the Pricking of My Thumbs.' Copyright 1991 (c) by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"This was nothing like the clean, businesslike order of the herb room downstairs, though. It was crowded, almost cluttered, and dark in spite of the dormer windows."

"One shelf held books, mostly old and crumbling, the spines unmarked. I ran a curious finger over the row of leather bindings. Most were calf, but there were two or three in something different; something soft, but unpleasantly oily to the touch. And one that to all appearances was bound in fish skin. I pulled a volume out and opened it gingerly. It was handwritten in a mixture of archaic French, and even more obsolete Latin, but I could make out the title. L'Grimoire d'le Comte St. Germain."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, November 8, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 15:43:30 11/07/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 142, Things Coming Into View, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Look,” he said into my ear and pointed down the side of the cove. “Just there, on the right, where the creek comes out o’ the trees. See her?”

“Oh, no” I said, spotting the smudge of white moving slowly among the green mats of cress and duckweed. “It can’t be, surely?” I couldn’t make out details at that distance without my glasses, but from the way it moved, the object in question was almost certainly a pig. A big pig. A big white pig.

“Well, if it’s no the white sow, it’s a daughter just like her. But my guess is that it’s the auld besom herself. I’d know that proud rump anywhere.”

“Well, then.” I leaned back against him with a little sigh of satisfaction. “Now I know we’re home.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, November 7, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 15:55:13 11/06/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 82, Even People Who Want To Go To Heaven Don’t Want To Die To Get There, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

Jamie couldn’t take his eyes off Claire’s face, lest she die in the second when he looked away. He fumbled for a kerchief, but he’d given it to Bixby, and in desperation seized a fold of her skirt and pressed it hard to her side. She made a horrible sound and he nearly let go, but the ground under her was already darkening with blood and he pressed harder, shouting, “Help! Help me, Rachel! Dottie!”

But no one came, and when he risked a split second’s glance around, he saw nothing but clumps of wounded and dead under the trees some distance away and the flickering forms of soldiers, some running, some wandering dazed through the tombstones.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, November 6, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 15:53:47 11/05/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 61, A Viscous Three-Way, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“You mustn’t hit him again, Grand-pere,” Germain said earnestly, breaking the silence. “He’s a very good man, and I’m sure he won’t take Grannie to bed anymore, now that you’re home to do it.”

Jamie gave Germain a quelling look, but his mouth twitched. From my position behind the cot, I could see the back of John’s neck flush a deep pink.

“I’m very much obliged to his lordship for his care of your grannie,” Jamie told Germain. “But if ye think makin’ impertinent remarks regarding your elders is going to save your arse---think again.”

Germain shifted uneasily, but rolled his eyes at Lord John in a “worth a try” sort of way.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, November 5, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 16:49:29 11/04/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 65, Mosquitoes, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Really?” I said, astonished. “How can you possibly----you’ve been up for hours!”

“No, only the last minute or two,” he assured me. “I’m sorry, Sassenach. I ken ye’re tired and I wouldna ask---but I’m desperate.” He let go of my bottom long enough to pull up his shirt, and I rather resignedly started disentangling my shift from my legs.

“I dinna mind if ye fall asleep while I’m about my business,” he said in my ear, feeling his way one-handed. “I willna take long about it. I just-----”

“The mosquitoes will bite your arse,” I said, wiggling my own arse into a better position and opening my legs. “Hadn’t I best put some---oh!”

“Oh?” he said, sounding pleased. “Well, it’s all right if ye want to stay awake, of course . . .”

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of December 14 - swarl
    Week of December 21 - kgp
    Week of December 28 - Helka
    Week of January 4 - Rita/FW
    Week of January 11 - Lady Linda
    Week of January 18 -
    Week of January 25 -
    Week of February 1 -
    Week of February 8 -
    Week of February 15 -
    Week of February 22 -

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.