VoyForums

Sunday, May 24, 06:22:19pmVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• QOTD for Monday, May 25, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 18, No Place Like Home. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 18:04:18 05/24/15 Sun

It sat frozen, blending perfectly with its dusky background. He would never have seen it had his hunter's eye not caught its movement. A tiny kitten, its gray fur puffed out like a ripe milkweed head, enormous eyes wide open and unblinking, almost colorless in the gloom beneath the bush. A Chait," he whispered, putting out a slow finger toward it, "Whatever are ye doing here?"

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

• QOTD for Sunday, May 24, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 8, The Factor. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 18:30:52 05/23/15 Sat
    "Mr. Bug, here's Himself"s good-son, Roger Mac, him I tellt ye of." He turned back toward Roger, waving vaguely at his companion, who stepped forward, extending his hand with a stiff but cordial bow. "This will be Arch Bug, a Smeòraich.."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, May 23, 2015 -- LisaW, 22:40:14 05/22/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 111 "AND YET GO OUT TO MEET IT". Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to
    look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'--ye'll ken it was because I
    didna have time." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, May 22, 2015 -- LisaW, 20:29:29 05/21/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 25 "Raymond the Heretic". Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "Now," he said softly. "Call him. Call the red man. Call him."
       The pressure of the fingers within and the palm without grew harder, and I
    pressed my legs against the bed, fighting it. But there was no strength left
    in me to resist, and the inexorable pressure went on, cracking the crystal
    sphere, freeing the chaos within.
       My mind filled with images, worse than the misery of the fever-dreams,
    because more real. Grief and loss and fear racked me, and the dusty scent of
    death and white chalk filled my nostrils. Casting about in the random patterns
    of my mind for help., I heard the voice still muttering, patiently but firmly,
    "Call him," and I sought my anchor. "

Replies:

• More quoters needed! :) -- Judie, 10:35:08 05/21/15 Thu
    Click on "contact forum admin" link above if you would like to have a week of quoting fun. :)

Please tell me which weeks you CANNOT do - it makes it easier to schedule.

Thanks.

• QOTD for Thursday, May 21, 2015 -- LisaW, 19:06:02 05/20/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 35 "Flight from Eden". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "But Auntie Claire, it's not that!"
       "What's not that?" Caught by his tone of desperation, I glanced up. His
    long, narrow face was tight with the anguished need to make me understand.
       "Uncle Jamie didna stay to tend Laoghaire!"
       "Then why did he send you?"
       He took a deep breath, renewing his grip on my reins.
       "She shot him. He sent me to find ye, because he's dying." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, May 20, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:38:42 05/19/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 49 "Blessed Are Those...". Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "Caire?" His voice felt scratchy from disuse, and he cleared his throat and
    tried again. "Claire? I . . . have something to tell you."
       She turned and looked up at him, no more than the faintest curiosity
    visible on her features. She wore a look of calm, the look of one who has borne
    terror, despair, and mourning, and the desperate burden of survival--and has
    endured. Looking at her, he felt suddenly that he couldn't do it.
       But she had told the truth; he must do likewise.
       "I found something." He raised the book in a brief, futile gesture. "About
    . . . Jamie." Speaking that name aloud seemed to brace him, as though the
    big Scot himself had been conjured by his calling, to stand solid and unmoving
    in the hallway, between his wife and Roger. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, May 19, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:06:47 05/18/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 63 "MOMENT OF DECISION". Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" Then some sound turned me toward the window and I saw the man who
    stood there. I had no name for him, and yet I loved him. He stood with his back
    turned to the bed, arms braced on the sill, and his head sunk on his chest, so the
    dawn light glowed red on his hair and traced his arms with gold. A spasm of grief
    shook him; I felt it, like the temblors of a distant quake.
       Someone moved near him. A dark-haired woman, a girl. She came close,
    touched his back, murmuring something to him. I saw the way she looked at
    him, the tender inclination of her head, the intimacy of her body swaying toward
    him.
       No, I thought, with great calm. That won't do.
       I looked once more at myself lying on the bed, and with a feeling that was at
    once firm decision and incalculable regret, I took another breath. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, May 18, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:02:00 05/17/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 23 :THE SKULL BENEATH THE SKIN". Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "Aye, he carried on so that the spittle flew from his jaws and I was sure
    he'd gone truly mad. I thought he'd do us an injury, so I bade Ian unbolt
    the door and let him be gone." Jamie sat back on his heels and frowned at
    my foot, then picked a dead leaf off my instep.
       "Well, and was the Devil outside?" I asked flippantly.
       Jamie shook his head.
       "We searched the clearing, from the penfold to the spring, and didna
    find a thing--except these." He reached into his sporran and drew out my
    shoes. He looked up into my face, his own quite expressionless.
       "They were sitting on the doorstep, side by side." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, May 17, 2015 -- LisaW, 00:20:57 05/17/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1 "A New Beginning". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana
    Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "Good question. I don't see anything." Casting an eye over the ground,
    though, I did see an interesting plant growing near the base of one of the tall
    stones. Myosotis? No, probably not; this had orange centers to the deep blue
    flowers. Intrigued, I started toward it. Frank, with keener hearing than I, leaped
    to his feet and seized my arm, hurrying me out of the circle a moment before
    one of the morning's dancers entered from the other side. "

My theme is; things that brought Claire and Jamie together. In the beginning and throughout their relationship.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, May 16, 2015. The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Ch.86 “In Which Rosy-fingered Dawn Shows Up Mob-Handed” Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Swarl -sorry to be so late, 06:21:43 05/16/15 Sat
    “And who else has a better reason for helping us in this matter than does Jamie Fraser?”
    “Who indeed?” They rode for some time in silence, Hal apparently lost in thought. It wasn't until they paused to find a creek and water the horses that he spoke again, water streaming down his face where he’d splashed it.
    “So you’ve not only somehow married Fraser’s wife, but you’ve accidentally been raising his illegitimate son for the last 15 years?”
    “Apparently so,” Grey said, in a tone that he hoped indicated complete unwillingness to talk about it. For once, Hal took the hint.
    “I see, “ he said, and, with no further questions, wiped his face with the flag of truce and mounted up.’

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, May 15, 2015. The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Ch.86 “In Which Rosy-fingered Dawn Shows Up Mob-Handed” Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Swarl, 04:40:29 05/15/15 Fri
    ‘Hal’s arm was hard as marble under John’s hand and stayed that way. But he did stop, breathing with a slow, deep regularity. At last he turned his head and looked into his brother’s eyes. A beam of sunlight threw every line in his face into stark relief.
    “Name one thing you think I wouldn't do,” he said quietly, “in order not to have to tell Minnie that Ben is dead.”
    Grey drew one long, deep breath of his own and nodded, letting go.
    “Point taken. . . “

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, May 14, 2015. The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Ch.11 “Vulgar Curiosity” Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Swarl, 18:40:55 05/13/15 Wed
    Minnie’s version of what happened next.

“He came looking for me,” she said frankly. “Strode into my father’s bookshop one day with fire in his eye. I nearly fainted. So did he, when he saw I was with child.”
    She smiled, but it was an inward smile now, one of reminiscence.
    “He took the most enormous breath, shook his head, then walked round the counter, picked me up, and carried me straight out of the shop and into a coach Harry had waiting outside. I was most impressed; I must have weighed eleven stone, at least.” She glanced sideways at him. The dimple was back. “Are you dreadfully scandalized, John?”
    “Dreadfully.” What he was really thinking was that it was a mercy that Benjamin so strongly resembled Hal.’

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, May 13, 2015. The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Ch.2 “Erse” Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Swarl, 18:42:45 05/12/15 Tue
    Hump day is a bit difficult with this week’s topic, so this will have to do. Hal is recounting his discovery of Minnie in his study, clandestinely rifling his desk for documents.

“I gather you did not immediately have her arrested and taken before a magistrate?”
    Hal took a sherry glass and held it out.
    “No. I had her on the hearth rug.”
    The decanter slipped from Grey’s fingers, and he caught it again by pure luck, splashing only a little.
    “Did you, indeed?” he managed.
    “Give me that, butterfingers.” Hal took the decanter from him, and poured carefully, eyes fixed on the rising amber liquid.
“And, yes, I did.”
    Grey wondered, reeling, whether Minnie had been a virgin and decided instantly not to ask.
    “Then I put her into a coach, made her tell me her address, and said I would call on her in the morning, to ask after her welfare.” Hal said offhandedly, and passed John a glass. “Here. Hang on to it this time. You look as though you need it.”
    He did, and drank off the sherry – which wasn't bad – in a couple of gulps.
    “She didn't . . . actually give you her address, did she?”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, May 12, 2015. The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Ch.23 “In Which Mrs Figg Takes a Hand” Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- swarl, 18:38:14 05/11/15 Mon
    “I am Denzell Hunter, Friend Grey. I am a physician, come at the request of Claire Fraser to attend thee.”
    The duke dropped the decanter, which fell over and disgorged the few drops it still contained onto the braided hearth rug.
    “You!” he said, drawing himself abruptly to his full height. He was in fact no taller than Hunter, but it was obvious that he had the habit of command. “You are the skulking fellow who has had the temerity to seduce my daughter, and you dare come here and offer to physic me? Get out of my sight, before I – “ At this point, it dawned on Pardloe that he was in his nightshirt and unarmed. Nothing daunted, he seized the decanter from the floor and swung it at Denzell’s head.
    Denzell ducked, and Jamie got hold of Parloe’s wrist before he could try again. Denny straightened up, fire glinting behind his spectacles.
    “I take issue both with thy description of my behavior and thy slur upon thy daughter’s reputation,” he said sharply. “I can only conceive that the order of thy mind is deranged by illness or drugs, for surely the man who sired and reared such a person as Dorothea could not speak so meanly of her or have so little faith in her strength of character and her virtue as to think that anyone might seduce her.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, May 11, 2015. The following quote is taken from ritten In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Chapter 69: "Sparrow-Fart". Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Swarl, 18:49:02 05/10/15 Sun
    This is a bit out of sequence, but made sense here for our Week of Hal.

“Jesus, if he thinks he’s a chance in hell of preventing Dorothea from marrying Dr. Hunter . . . I believe I’d pay good money to overhear the conversation when he meets Denzell” he remarked. “Who would you bet on – given that Hal hasn't got a regiment at his back to enforce his opinions?”
    “He likely has met him by now. As to odds – Denzell three to two, “ I said, after a moment’s consideration. “He’s got not only God but love – and Dorothea – on his side, and I do think that will outweigh even Hal’s brand of . . . of . . . autocratic conviction?”
    “I’d call it undiluted bastardliness, myself, but, then, I’m his brother. I’m allowed liberties.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, May 10, 2015. The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Ch.23 “In Which Mrs Figg Takes a Hand” Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- swarl, 18:18:28 05/09/15 Sat
    This chapter involves a lovely stramash with Jenny and Mrs Figg armed, Pardloe wheezing in his nightshirt and Jamie looking for Claire.

‘Jamie got a hand under the gun just as it went off in a puff of black smoke, the crack of the firing simultaneous with the explosion of a china figure on the mantelpiece.
    Pardloe sat frozen for an instant, then – very carefully – reached up and removed a large shard of porcelain from his hair.
    “Mr. Fraser,” he said in a voice that was almost steady. “Your servant, sir.”
    “Your most obedient, Your Grace,” Jamie replied, suffering an insane urge to laugh and kept from it only by the sure knowledge that his sister would immediately reload and shoot him at point-blank range if he did. “I see ye’re acquainted with my sister, Mrs. Murray.”
    “Your – dear lord, she is.” Pardloe’s eyes had flicked back and forth between their faces, and he now drew a long, slow breath. “Is your entire family given to irascibility?”
    “We are, Your Grace, and I thank ye for the compliment,” Jamie said - - -“

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, May 9, 2015 - sorry I'm late, got home after midnight and collapsed. -- kgp, 03:42:57 05/09/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 42 All my Love. Copyright 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

“And if worse should come to worst – and you can do it – then the past may be your best avenue of escape. I have no idea how it works; neither does your mother, or at least she says so. I hope I may have given you a few tools to help, if that should be necessary.

And . . . there’s him. Your mother said that Fraser sent her back to me, knowing that I would protect her – and you. She thought that he died immediately afterward. He did not. I looked for him, and I found him. And, like him, perhaps I send you back, knowing – as he knew of me – that he will protect you with his life.

I will love you forever, Brianna. And I know whose child you truly are.

With all my love,
    Dad

Replies:

• It looks like there are no more quotes after next week!! Has our Board come to this? Sign on. It's fun to look thru the books again. It's great to find a theme and decide how to follow it thru. All gain. No pain, be brave! Sign up by "contacting the admin" -- Swarl, 07:10:20 05/08/15 Fri

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, May 8, 2015 -- kgp, 18:23:37 05/07/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 91. Footsteps. Copyright © 2009 by Diane Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

”You’ve just left me, dearest deadeye, after our wonderful afternoon at Sherman’s (the clay pigeon place – will she remember the name?). My ears are still ringing. Whenever we shoot, I’m torn between immense pride in your ability, envy of it, and fear. I don’t know quite when you will read this, or if you will. Maybe I’ll have the courage to tell you before I die (or I’ll do something so unforgivable that your mother will – no, she won’t. I’ve never met anyone so honorable as Claire, notwithstanding. She’ll keep her word).

What a queer feeling it is, writing this. I know that you’ll eventually learn who – and perhaps what – you are.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, May 7, 2015 -- kgp, 18:20:35 05/06/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27. The Malting Floor Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Small children can certainly be trying,” I agreed, with vivid memories of an incident involving a two-year-old Brianna, a phone call that had distracted me, a large bowl of spaghetti with meatballs, and Frank’s open briefcase. Frank normally exhibited a saintly degree of patience with Bree – if somewhat less with me – but on that particular occasion his bellows of outrage had rattled the windows.

And now that I recalled the occasion, I had thrown a meatball as him in a fury verging on hysteria. So had Bree, though she had done it out of glee, rather than vindictiveness. Had I been standing by the stove at the time, it might easily have been the pot I threw. I rubbed a finger under my nose, not sure whether to regret the memory or to laugh at it. I never did get the stains out of the rug.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, May 6, 2015 -- kgp, 03:00:02 05/06/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 71. Circle’s Close. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“You’ll scarcely credit this, but I stood there with my hand on that bloody stone, and wanted nothing more than it should open, and put me face-to-face with James Fraser. Whoever he was, whenever he was, I wanted nothing more in life than to see him – and to kill him.

I have never seen him – I don’t know that he existed! – and yet I hate this man as I have never hated anyone else. If what Claire said and what I found was true – then I’ve taken her from him, and kept her by me through these years by a lie. Maybe only a lie of omission, but nonetheless a lie for that. I could call that revenge, I suppose.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, May 5, 2015 -- kgp, 17:41:12 05/04/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter Chapter 3. Frank and Full Disclosure. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

”Frank, too, cuddled the baby and played with her, falling asleep in his big chair with her stretched out atop his lanky form, rosy cheek pressed flat against his chest, as they snored together in peaceful companionship. He and I did not touch each other though, nor did we truly talk about anything beyond our basic domestic arrangements – except Brianna.

The baby was our shared focus; a point through which we could at once reach each other, and keep the other at arm’s length. It looked as though arm’s length was no longer close enough for Frank.”

Last edited by author: Mon May 04, 2015 17:41:49   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, May 4, 2015 -- kgp, 17:25:08 05/03/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 47. Loose Ends. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Frank Randall was my father!” she said. “He was! I know it!” Fists clenched, she glared at her mother. Her voice was trembling with rage.

“I don’t know why you’re doing this. Maybe you did hate me, maybe you still do!” Tears were beginning to make their way down her cheeks, unbidden, and she dashed them angrily away with the back of one hand.

“Daddy . . . Daddy loved me – he couldn’t have, if I weren’t his! Why are you trying to make me believe he wasn’t my father? Were you jealous of me? Is that it? Did you mind so much that he loved me? He didn’t love you, I know that!” The blue eyes narrowed, cat-like, blazing in a face gone dead-white.”

Last edited by author: Sun May 03, 2015 17:25:49   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, May 3, 2015 -- kgp, 05:01:03 05/03/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1. New Beginning. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“After a long time, he murmured into my hair, “No, I know you’d never do such a thing. I only meant to say that even if you did . . . Claire, it would make no difference to me. I love you so. Nothing you ever did would stop my loving you.” He took my face between his hands – only four inches taller than I, he could look directly into my eyes without trouble – and said softly, “Forgive me?” His breath, barely scented with the tang of Glenfidditch, was warm on my face, and his lips, full and inviting, were disturbingly close.”

Let's take a look at another man in Claire's life

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, May 2, 2015 -- Rita, 17:44:02 05/01/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Chapter 69: "Sparrow-Fart". Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Are we expecting imminent invasion and capture?” he asked, sitting up.
    “Lie back down. No, this is Jamie being provident.” I touched one of the pistols gingerly. “I don’t know if they’re loaded yet.”
    “Certainly they are. The man is nothing if not thorough.” He eased himself back down, groaning slightly.
    “You think you know him awfully well, don’t you?” I asked, with an edge that rather surprised me.
    “Yes, I do,” he answered promptly. He smiled slightly at my expression. “Not nearly as well as you do in some matters, I’m sure—but perhaps better in others. We are both soldiers.” He tilted his head, indicating the military racket going on outside.
    “If you know him that well,” I said, nettled, “you should have known better than to say whatever you did say to him.”
    “Ah.” The smile disappeared and he looked up at the canvas overhead in contemplation. “I did. Know better. I just said it anyway.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, May 1, 2015 -- Rita, 18:23:39 04/30/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Chapter 88: "A Whiff of Roquefort". Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Mmm.” I was gently prodding the flesh around the orbit, which showed only a slight residual swelling. The sclera was still quite bloodshot, but the bruising was much better. I thumbed down the lower lid to inspect the conjunctiva: a nice slippery pink, no sign of infection. “Does it water?”
    “Only in strong sunlight, and not very much,” he assured me, straightening up. He smiled at me. “Thank you, my dear.”
    Jamie didn’t say anything, but the way he breathed had a distinctly edgy feel about it. I ignored him. If he chose to make a fuss, I couldn’t bloody stop him.
    “What are ye doing here?” he asked abruptly. John looked up at him, one brow raised, as though surprised to see him looming on the other side of my bed. John rose slowly to his feet, holding Jamie’s eyes with his own.
    “What do you think I’m doing?” he asked quietly. There was no hint of challenge in the question, and I could see Jamie suddenly check his own hostility, frowning slightly as he looked John over, considering.
    One side of John’s mouth turned up a little.
    “Do you think I’ve come to fight you for the favors of this lady? Or to seduce her from your side?”
    Jamie didn’t laugh, but the line between his brows smoothed out.

=======

I love it that John gets to say the same thing both to Jamie and Claire -- and their reactions are so different :)

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, April 30, 2015 -- Rita, 17:35:21 04/29/15 Wed
    QOTD for Thursday, April 30, 2015

The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 25: "Enter a Serpent". Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon.

“What are you doing here?” I said, without preamble.
    He opened his light blue eyes very wide, then lowered his very long lashes and batted them deliberately at me.
    “I did not come with the intention of seducing your husband, I assure you,” he said.
    “John!” Jamie’s fist struck the table with a force that rattled the teacups. His cheekbones were flushed dark red, and he was scowling with embarrassed fury.
    “Sorry.” Grey, by contrast, had gone white, though he remained otherwise visibly unruffled. It occurred to me for the first time that he might possibly be as unnerved as Jamie by this meeting.
    “My apologies, ma’am,” he said, with a curt nod in my direction. “That was unforgivable. I would point out, however, that you have been looking at me since we met as though you had encountered me lying in the gutter outside some notorious mollyhouse.” A light flush burned over his face now, too.
    “Sorry,” I breathed. “Give me a bit more notice next time, and I’ll take care to adjust my features.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, April 29, 2015 -- Rita, 15:48:49 04/28/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32: "The Path of Honor". Copyright (c) 2007 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Fraser inhaled through his nose, seeming to swell with it. “Draw on me and be damned,” he said contemptuously. “Armed or no, ye canna master me.”
    “You think not? I tell you,” Grey said, and fought so hard to control the fury in his voice that it emerged as no more than a whisper, “I tell you, sir—were I to take you to my bed—I could make you scream. And by God, I would do it.”
    Later, he would try to recall what had happened then. Had he moved, reflex and training cutting through the fog of rage that blinded him? Or had Fraser moved, some shred of reason altering his aim in the same split second in which he swung his fist?
    Hard as he tried, no answer came. He remembered nothing but the shock of impact as Fraser’s fist struck the boards an inch from his head, and the sob of breath, hot on his face. There had been a sense of presence, of a body close to his, and the impression of some irresistible doom.
    Then he was outside, gulping air as though he were drowning, staggering blind in the glare of the setting sun. He had no balance, no bearings; stumbled and put out a hand for anchor, grasped some piece of farm equipment.
    His vision cleared, eyes watering—but he saw neither the paddock, the wagon whose wheel he grasped, nor the house and lawns beyond. What he saw was Fraser’s face. When he had said that—what demon had given him that thought, those words? I could make you scream.
    Oh, Christ, oh, Christ. Someone had.

Replies:

• Murtagh at end of "Drums of Autumn" -- Yvonne, 21:44:18 04/27/15 Mon
    Can someone explain to me what Murtagh means when he says "I would ask one thing of ye, lad - let it be the English. Not your ain folk." This being just before Jamie takes Claire back to the stones before the battle at Culloden.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, April 28, 2015 -- Rita, 18:21:43 04/27/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 11: "The Torremolino's Gambit". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Fraser sat still as a statue of cinnabar, only the deep blue eyes alive in his face as he studied the board. The fire had burned down, and the lines of his body were limned with shadow. His hand, all gold and black with the light of the fire on it, rested on the table, still and exquisite as the captured pawn beside it.
    The blue stone in John Grey’s ring glinted as he reached for his queen’s bishop. Is it wrong, Hector? he thought. That I should love a man who might have killed you? Or was it a way at last to put things right; to heal the wounds of Culloden for them both?
    The bishop made a soft thump as he set the felted base down with precision. Without stopping, his hand rose, as though it moved without his volition. The hand traveled the short distance through the air, looking as though it knew precisely what it wanted, and set itself on Fraser’s, palm tingling, curved fingers gently imploring.
    The hand under his was warm—so warm—but hard, and motionless as marble. Nothing moved on the table but the shimmer of the flame in the heart of the sherry. He lifted his eyes then, to meet Fraser’s.
    “Take your hand off me,” Fraser said, very, very softly. “Or I will kill you.”

Replies:

• For kgp -come inside- -- swarl, 06:48:13 04/27/15 Mon
    Hi kgp, Would you be willing to switch QOTD weeks with me? This means you would be on for quotes this coming Sunday. I am feeling a bit pressed, having just gotten home from a month away. So it would be nice to have a bit more time, before I have to be ON. However, it is physically possible for me to post during May 3 week, so it is not an emergency. Let me know if the switch would work for you. Thanks, Sally/Swarl

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, April 27, 2015 -- Rita, 16:50:33 04/26/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 9: "The Wanderer". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Your wife, sir—where is she?”
    The answer was a sudden blaze of dark blue that seared him to the backbone, so shocking was its intensity.
    Perhaps you are too young to know the power of hate and despair. Quarry’s voice spoke in Grey’s memory. He was not; he recognized them at once in the depths of Fraser’s eyes.
    Only for a moment, though; then the man’s normal veil of cool politeness was back in place.
    “My wife is gone,” Fraser said, and turned away again, so abruptly that the movement verged on rudeness.
    Grey felt himself shaken by an unexpected feeling. In part it was relief. The woman who had been both cause of and party to his humiliation was dead. In part, it was regret.
    Neither of them spoke again on the journey back to Ardsmuir.

-- Yes, it's a Lord John week. :)

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April 26, 2015 -- Rita, 19:46:44 04/25/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 36: "Prestonpans". Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Kincaid pulled the boy to his feet and propelled him to the edge of the clearing with a hand at his back. At the edge of the shadows he halted and turned back. Avoiding looking at me, he spoke only to Jamie.

“I owe you my life,” he said formally. “I should greatly prefer not to, but since you have forced the gift upon me, I must regard it as a debt of honor. I shall hope to discharge that debt in the future, and once it is discharged…” The boy’s voice shook slightly with suppressed hatred, losing all its assumed formality in the utter sincerity of his feelings. “…I’ll kill you!”

Jamie rose from the log to his full height. His face was calm, free of any taint of amusement. He inclined his head gravely to his departing prisoner. “In that case, sir, I must hope that we do not meet again.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, April 25, 2015 -- LisaW, 20:21:01 04/24/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 118 "THE SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS". Copyright (c) 2014by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

" "Is it not a void there?" he said quietly, still looking up. "And yet we're no
    afraid to look."
       "There are lights," I said."It makes a difference." My voice was hoarse,
    and I swallowed. "Though I suppose even the stars are burning out, accord-
    ing to the Second Law."
       "Mmphm. Well, I suppose men can make all the laws they like," he said,
    "but God made hope. The stars willna burn out." He turned and, cupping
    my chin, kissed me gently. "And nor will we." "

I just loved these two chapters. Claire is finding herself vulnerable and yet she is so determined to triumph over her anxiety. Thank you for letting me share this week with you.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, April 24, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:37:31 04/23/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 117 "INTO THE BRIAR PATCH". Copyright (c) 2014by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

""Death matters, at least sometimes."
       "I ken that," Jamie said softly, and took my hands in his; they were big, and
    battered, scarred and maimed. "It's why a warrior doesna fear death so much.
    He has the hope--sometimes the certainty--that his death will matter."
       "What happens to me between now and then doesna matter to anyone."
       Those words swam out of nowhere and struck me in the pit of the stom-
    ach, so hard that I could barely breathe. He'd said that to me, from the bot-
    tom of despair, in the dungeon of Wentworth Prison, a lifetime ago. He'd
    bargained for my life then, with what he had--not his life, already forfeit, but
    his soul.
       "It matters to me!" I'd said to him--and, against all odds, had ransomed
    that soul and brought him back. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, April 23, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:11:59 04/22/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 117 "INTO THE BRIAR PATCH". Copyright (c) 2014by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" The recollection made me smile a little, but the smile faded at the thought
    that the louts who had accosted me certainly lived somewhere nearby. I
    mightn't be as lucky a second time. And at that thought, a wave of cold terror
    washed over me and I felt a band of soreness across my middle, the chafing
    and bruising from hours spent tied facedown across a horse's back, being
    carried helpless to--
       "Stop that!" I said sharply to myself. "Stop it at once. I won't have it."
    They were teenaged boys. I wasn't afraid of . . . But the first man to rape me
    had been abut sixteen; he'd been apologetic abut it. I stepped into a nar-
    row alley between two buildings and threw up. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, April 22, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:32:12 04/21/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 117 "INTO THE BRIAR PATCH". Copyright (c) 2014by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"A hand touched my waist, and, gulping air, I leaned blindly into Jamie.
       "What's wrong, a nighean?" he whispered to me.
       "Laudanum," I said, almost at random. "You don't--you don't lose con-
    sciousness altogether. It makes the pain go away--not stop, just seem not
    connected to you--but it's there. And you . . . you know what's happening to
    you." I swallowed, forcing down bile.
       I felt it. The hard probe jabbing its way into my side, startling. The re-
    markable sense of cold intrusion, mingled with incongruous faint warm
    echoes of internal movement, the forceful jabs of a child in the womb.
       "You know what's happening," I repeated, opening my eyes. I found his,
    looking down at me with gentleness.
       "I ken that, aye?" he whispered, and cupped my cheek with his four-
    fingered hand. "Come and tell me what ye need me to do, mo ghraidh." "

Replies:

• New hoser -- isisgms (So hosed), 10:03:18 04/21/15 Tue
    I lent Outlander to a colleague at work, now she has signed up to Amazon Prime to watch Jamie, and is listening to it on audio as well as reading the book. She is totally in love with JAMMF! Poor lass - join the Club!!!

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, April 22, 2015 -- LisaW, 20:39:50 04/20/15 Mon

" The wine could wait, and any surgeon dances with death routinely. The
    problem was that I'd forgotten the steps and was flirting with panic.
       I bent to check Tench's heart rate and respiration. He was breathing shal-
    lowly but fast. Lack of oxygen, severe blood loss . . . and I felt my own chest
    tighten, heaving for air, and stood up, giddy, heart hammering.
       "Sassenach," I turned, hand on the bedpost, to see Jamie watching me,
    eyebrows drawn together. "Are ye all right?"
       "Yes," I said, but my own voice sounded queer even to my own ears. I shook
    my head hard, trying to clear it. Jamie came close to me and put his hand on
    mine, where it rested on the bedpost. It was big and steady, and it helped.
       "Ye willna help him, lass, if ye faint in the midst of it," he said, low-voiced. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, April 20, 2015 -- LisaW, 17:28:04 04/19/15 Sun

"I LOOKED AT the rather grubby sedan chair, inhaled the scent of several
    dozen previous users, and took a firmer grip on my cane.
        "I can walk," I said. "It's not that far."
       "Ye're not walking," Jamie replied equably.
       "Surely you don't intend to stop me!"
       "Aye, I do," he said, still mildly. "I canna stop ye going--and I wouldna
    try--but I can, by God, make sure ye dinna fall on your face in the street on
    your way. Get in, Sassenach. Go slow," he added to the chairmen, as he
    opened the door of the sedan an gestured to me. "I'm coming, and I dinna
    want to gallop so soon after supper." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April 20, 2015 -- LisaW, 00:20:19 04/19/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 117 "INTO THE BRIAR PATCH". Copyright (c) 2014by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

September 16, 1778
         Philadelphia

"We'd just finished supper and I was wiping Henri-
    Christian's face with the hem of my apron, when a knock came
    at the alley door. Jenny, sitting next to me with Felicite on her
    lap, gave me a quick glance, brows raised. Was this cause for alarm
       I hadn't time to shrug or shake my head; all conversation had ceased on
    he instant, the children's chatter quelled as though someone had dropped a
    candle snuffer over them. It was first dark and the door was bolted. Fergus
    and Jamie exchanged looks and, without a word, both of them rose."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, April 18, 2015 -- Happiapple, 20:30:17 04/17/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1: "A New Beginning". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

She set the cup down carefully, as though afraid it might blow up in her face. The grooves on either side of her mouth had deepened, and her brows pressed together in what looked like puzzlement.

"Well," she said finally. "That's one of the stranger ones I've seen."

"Oh?" I was still amused, but beginning to be curious. "Am I going to meet a tall dark stranger, or journey across the sea?"

"Could be."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, April 17, 2015 -- Happiapple, 21:27:36 04/16/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24: "By the Pricking of My Thumbs". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"What on earth...?" I picked it up, and promptly dropped it. "Ouch! It has thorns!"

It was a small bundle of plants, plucked up roughly by the roots, and bound together with a bit of black thread. The plants were wilted, but a pungent smell still rose from the drooping leaves.
    There was one flower in the bouquet, a crushed primrose, whose thorny stem had pricked my thumb.

I sucked the offended digit, turning the bundle over more cautiously with my other hand. Jamie stood still, staring down at it for a moment. Then he suddenly picked it up, and crossing to the window,
    flung it out into the night. Returning to the bed, he energetically brushed the crumbs of earth from the plants' roots into the palm of his hand and threw them out after the bundle.
    He closed the window with a slam and came back, dusting his palms.

"It's gone," he said, unnecessarily. He climbed back into bed. "Come back to bed, Sassenach."

"What was it?" I asked climbing in beside him.

"A joke, reckon," he said. "A nasty one, but only a joke."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, April 16, 2015 -- Happiapple, 20:14:03 04/15/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 2: "Standing Stones". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

They assembled outside the ring of stones, in a line from eldest to youngest, and stood in silence, waiting. The light in the east grew stronger.

As the sun edged its way above the horizon, the line of women began to move, walking slowly between two of the stones. The leader took them directly to the center of the circle,
    and led them round and round, still moving slowly, stately as swans in a circular procession.

The leader suddenly stopped, raised her arms, and stepped into the center of the circle. Raising her face toward the pair of easternmost stones, she called out in a high voice.
    Not loud, but clear enough to be heard throughout the circle. The still mist caught the words and made them echo, as though they came from all around, from the stones themselves.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, April 15, 2015 -- Happiapple, 20:38:45 04/14/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1: "A New Beginning". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"In the old days," he explained as we went, "and not so long ago, either, when a house was built, it was customary to kill something and bury it under the foundation,
    as a propitiation to the local earth spirits. You know, 'He shall lay the foundation thereof in his firstborn and in his youngest son shall he set up the gates of it.' Old as the hills."

I shuddered at eh quotation. "In that case, I suppose it's quite modern and enlightened of them to be using chickens instead. You mean, since the houses are fairly new,
    nothing was buried underneath them, and the inhabitants are now remedying the omission."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, April 14, 2015 -- Happiapple, 19:56:54 04/13/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24: "By the Pricking of My Thumbs". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"No," she said. "Or rather, yes. That's one of the fairies' hills, and it's dangerous to sleep there.
    If ye leave a changeling out overnight in such a place, the Folk will come and take it back,
    and leave the human child they've stolen in its place."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, April 13 -- Happiapple, 19:43:41 04/12/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13, A Marriage is Announced.

"St. Ninian's spring. Ye drank the water before I asked ye."

I was thoroughly bewildered by this time.

"What does that have to do with it?"

He looked surprised, then his mouth twisted in a smile. "Ye didna know? They call it the liar's spring , as well. The water smells o' the fumes of hell. Anyone who drinks the water and then tells untruth will ha' the gizzard burnt out of him."

Replies:

• We are in Englad for our 50th wedding anniversary and on top of Dartmoor there is a circle of stones and next to it a long line of stones on an E-W axis headed up by two stones right next to each other. Originally, I think it must have been an entire line of paired stones. The moor is no place to be casual about, so I have no idea who used these stone. Summer solstice, sure, but winter solstice and you'd better mind the cold and the fog. Thinking of you all. -- Swarl, 02:39:15 04/12/15 Sun

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, April the 12th. The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 20, The White Raven. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 23:20:39 04/11/15 Sat
    “ ‘Body, soul and mind,’ ” Jamie said, translating as he bent to seize the end of another trimmed log.
    “ ‘The body for sensation, the soul for the springs of action, the mind for principles.
    Yet the capacity for sensation belongs also to the stalled ox;
    there is no wild beast or degenerate but obeys the twitching of impulse;
    and even men who deny the gods, or betray their country, or’−careful, man!”

Ian, thus warned, stepped neatly backward over the ax handle, and turned to the left, steering his end of the burden carefully round of the half-built log wall.

A quote to keep us in tune with Jamie & Ian, philosophy, skill & raw strength combined. Happy camping, happiapple ;)

Replies:

• Silly me! I forgot to prepare and am currently camping without my books. "What! Camping without my books...who does that?" I will return home tomorrow and will post two quotes tomorrow. What better way to carry on this week's delayed gratification theme. Thanks for your patience, ladies and lads. -- Happiapple, 19:36:51 04/11/15 Sat

• QOTD for Saturday, April 11, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 18:47:23 04/10/15 Fri
    Aye, ye've waited long enough lassies....

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24, "Welcome Coolness in the Heat, Comfort in the Midst of Woe." Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"There was a rattling thump; I had backed into a potting bench, setting a tray of tiny seedling pots to vibrating, the spicy leaves of sweet basil trembling in agitation. Jamie pushed the tray aside with one hand, then grasped me by the elbows and lifted me onto the bench.

'Now,' he said, half breathless. 'I must have ye now.'

He did, and I ceased caring whether there were splinters in the bench or not.

I wrapped my legs round him and he laid me flat and leaned over me, hands braced on the bench, with a sound halfway between bliss and pain. He moved slowly in me and I gasped.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, April 10, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 22:04:17 04/09/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 40, "Duncan's Secret." Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Events after that were somewhat confused, with the predominant impressions being an urgent rustling of fabric, the sharp scent of trodden onion grass, and the crackling of last year’s oak leaves, dry underfoot.

My eyes popped open a few moments later.

'Don’t stop!' I said, disbelieving. 'Not now, for God’s sake!'

He grinned down at me, stepping back and letting his kilt fall into place. His face was flushed a ruddy bronze with effort, and his chest heaved under his shirt ruffles.

He grinned maliciously, and wiped a sleeve across his forehead.

'I’ll gie ye the rest when I’m ninety-six, aye?'”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, April 9, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 18:45:48 04/08/15 Wed
    Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 40, "Duncan's Secret." Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"It wasn’t so much an amorous encounter I wanted—though I would certainly not say no, if the opportunity offered. What I missed was simply the feel of his body next to mine; being able to reach out a hand in the dark and rest it on the long swell of his thigh; to roll toward him in the morning and cup his round, neat buttocks in the curve of thigh and belly; to press my cheek against his back and breathe the scent of his skin as I slipped into sleep.

'Damn,' I said, resting my forehead briefly in the folds of his shirt ruffle, and inhaling the mingled scents of starch and man with longing.

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of May 17 - LisaW
    Week of May 24 - SusiQ
    Week of May 31 - Lady Linda
    Week of June 7 - Helka
    Week of June 14 - HappiApple
    Week of June 21 - kgp
    Week of June 28 - Helka
    Week of July 5 -
    Week of July 12 - CindyG
    Week of July 19 -
    Week of July 26 -

web counter
    web counter
    [ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.