VoyForums

Monday, August 31, 01:48:49amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• QOTD for Monday, August 31, 2015 -- kgp, 17:34:16 08/30/15 Sun
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 46. Ley Lines

“This was in with the Gaelic bits ye were handing round. It looked as though it was in there by mistake, though, so I took it out. Writing a novel, are ye?”

He handed out the black notebook, “The Hitchhiker’s Guide,” and Roger’s throat clenched as though he’d been garroted. He took the notebook, nodding speechlessly.

“Maybe ye’ll let me read it when it’s done,” Cameron said casually, putting his truck in gear. “I’m a great one for the science fiction.”

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 30, 2015 -- kgp, 03:55:25 08/30/15 Sun
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 27. Tunnel Tigers

”Giggling, she thought with furious contempt. Like little boys!

Little boys, indeed. She took a few deep breaths, fighting off both anger and panic. Now that the dazzle of the darkness had faded, she could see the thin line of light that bisected the fifteen-foot doors. A man-height shadow interrupted the light but was jerked away, to the accompaniment of whispers and more giggling. Someone trying to peek in, the idiot. Good luck to him, seeing anything in here. Aside from the hair of light between the doors, the hydroelectric tunnel under Loch Errochty was dark as the pits of hell.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday 8/29/15 -- CarolSR, 19:12:25 08/28/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 22 THE ROYAL STUD. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“What it is that lies between Jack Randall and me will be settled only when one of us is dead—and maybe not then. There are ways of killing other than with a knife or a gun, and there are things worse than physical death.” His tone softened. “In Ste. Anne, you pulled me back from more than one kind of death, mo duinne, and never think I don’t know it.” He shook his head. “Perhaps I do owe you more than you owe me, after all.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 28, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:30:54 08/27/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 21 UNTIMELY RESURRECTION. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“No.” The voice that spoke above me was soft, almost expressionless. Looking up, I could see that the face still matched it, but a quick, hot pulse beat in his neck, and the small, triangular scar above his collar flushed red with heat. “I am called Lord Broch Tuarach for formality’s sake,” the soft Scottish voice above me said. “And beyond the requirements of formality, you will never speak to me again—until you beg for your life at the point of my sword. Then, you may use my name, for it will be the last word you ever speak.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, August 27, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:13:17 08/26/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 38 A BARGAIN WITH THE DEVIL. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“The note of triumph in his voice was faint, but unmistakable. “I,” he said softly, “I have had him as you could never have him. You are a woman; you cannot understand, even witch as you are. I have held the soul of his manhood, have taken from him what he has taken from me. I know him, as he now knows me. We are bound, he and I, by blood.”
    I give ye my Body, that we Two may be One…”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, August 25, 2015 -- CarolSR, 18:20:14 08/25/15 Tue
    It was a bit hard finding a "Hump Day" quote with this week's story line, but here goes...

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 38 A BARGAIN WITH THE DEVIL. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“He told me. Everything.”
    He made a small sound, half a sigh.
    “Whether the idea pleases you or not, my dear, we are linked, you and I. I cannot say it pleases me, but I admit the truth of it. You know, as I do, the touch of his skin—so warm, is he not? Almost as though he burned from within. You know the smell of his sweat and the roughness of the hairs on his thighs. You know the sound that he makes at the last, when he has lost himself. So do I.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, August 25, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:10:18 08/24/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 21 UNTIMELY RESURRECTION. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“I trust your new husband keeps you in better order than…”
    The words died in his throat as he looked up to see the source of the footsteps that had just turned into the hall behind me. If I had wanted to discompose him, that urge was now fully gratified. No Hamlet on the stage had ever reacted to the appearance of a ghost with more convincing terror than I saw stamped on that aristocratic face. The hand still holding my arm clawed deep into my flesh, and I felt the jolt of shock that surged through him like an electric charge.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, August 24, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:16:58 08/23/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 8 UNLAID GHOSTS AND CROCODILES. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“I took a step toward him, but he stopped me with a quick motion. He turned his face back to the window, calm now, and blank as the glass he looked through.
    “Get ye to bed, lassie. Leave me to myself a bit; I’ll be well enough presently. There’s naught to worry ye now.”
    He stretched his arms out, grasping the window frame, blotting out the light with his body. His shoulders swelled with effort, and I could tell that he was pushing against the wood with all his might.
    “It was only a dream. Jack Randall is dead.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 23, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:18:28 08/22/15 Sat
    There are so many great scenes in Dragonfly in Amber,so I thought we'd revisit some of them as we wait for Season 2 of the Starz program. There will be some shocking surprises for those "show only" fans. :)

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 8 UNLAID GHOSTS AND CROCODILES. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Jonathan Randall walked the room. And lay naked in my bed, atop the woolen blanket.
    There had been the sound of hoarse breathing close behind him, and the feel of sweat-drenched skin, sliding against his own. He gritted his teeth in an agony of frustration. The man behind him sensed the small movement and laughed.
    “Oh, we’ve some time yet before they hang you, my boy,” he whispered. “Plenty of time to enjoy it.” Randall moved suddenly, hard and abrupt, and
    he made a small involuntary sound.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, August 20, 2015. -- LissC, 05:27:23 08/20/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, page 607, print edition. Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Brian," she said, "I -"

"A Dhia!" He went whiter than the harled plaster of the house below. "Ellen!"

Astonishment deprived her of speech for an instant - long enough to hear light footsteps scrambling down the hill behind her.

"Mam!" called Jem, breathless.

Brian's eyes glanced up, behind her, and his mouth fell open at the sight of Jem. Then a look of radiant joy suffused his face.

"Willie!" he said. A bhalaich! Mo bhalaich!" He looked back at Brianna and stretched out a trembling hand to her. Mo ghraidh . . . Mo chridhe . . ."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, August 19, 2015. -- LissC, 08:52:12 08/19/15 Wed
    Hard to find a Wild Wednesday quote for Brian Dubh...

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 15, Revelations of the Bridal Chamber. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I kent Jamie’s father. If the lad’s much like him, ye’ll have no trouble at all.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, August 18, 2015. -- LissC, 09:08:51 08/18/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 11, Useful Occupations. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Said to my father over supper one night as I thought perhaps in the spring I’d go across to the Abbey and become a novice.
    I laughed at the thought. “Well, you’d have no difficulty with the vow of poverty; chastity and obedience might come a bit harder. What did your father say?”
    He grinned, teeth white in a dark face. “He was eating brose. He laid down the spoon and looked at me for moment. Then he sighed and shook his head, and said, ‘It’s been a long day, Jamie’.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, August 17, 2015. -- LissC, 12:59:17 08/17/15 Mon

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 29, More Honesty. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He said, ‘Sometimes I daresay I’ll enjoy thrashing you, depending on what you’ve done to deserve it. Mostly I won’t. But I’ll do it nonetheless. So remember it, lad. If you head thinks up mischief, your backside’s going to pay for it.’ Then he gave me a hug and said, ‘You’re a braw lad, Jamie. Go away to the house now and let your mother comfort ye.’ I opened my mouth to say something to that, and he said, quick-like, ‘No, I know you don’t need it, but she does. Get on wi’ ye.’.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, August 16th, 2015 -- LissC, 12:58:06 08/17/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24, By the Pricking of My Thumbs. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.
    And finally, he found a kitchenmaid who recalled seeing a man in a back passage, just before the supper was served.
    She had noticed him only because he was so handsome; tall and sturdy, she said, with hair like a black silkie’s and eyes like a cat.

Replies:

• Here's one to fill the gap: -- kgp, 08:00:38 08/17/15 Mon
    The following quotation is from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13, Beans and Barbecue. Copyright 2001. All Rights Reserved.

“I wouldna cross the road to see a scrawny woman, if she were stark naked and dripping wet. As for Lillywhite,” he resumed, in a more normal tone of voice, but without removing his hand, which was molding the cloth of my skirt thoughtfully around one buttock, “he may be a Protestant, Sassenach, but he’s still a man.”

“I didn’t realize the two states were incompatible,” Roger’s voice said dryly, coming out of the darkness nearby.

Replies:

• LissC - where are ye lass? You're the QOTD hostess this week. -- CarolSR, 06:58:47 08/17/15 Mon

Replies:

• This is not your real QOTD for Sunday, August 16th. Just subbing for now. -- Lee, 10:26:30 08/16/15 Sun
    This is just a fill-in until the real quoter comes by. ☺ Happy Sunday, Lallybroch!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 40, The Fox’s Lair. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘ “If this sassenach wench brings ye naught, at lease she looks as though she costs ye little.” The slanted blue eyes, so much like Jamie’s own, ran over my travel-stained gown, taking in the unstitched hem, the burst seam, and the splashes of mud on the skirt.

I could feel a fine vibration run through Jamie, and wasn’t sure whether it was anger or laughter.

“Thanks,” I said, with a friendly smile at his lordship. “I don’t eat much either. But I could use a bit of a wash. Just water; don’t bother about the soap if it comes too dear.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, August 15, 2015 -- Lee, 22:50:50 08/14/15 Fri
    Thanks for hanging with me this week!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 37, Holyrood. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “Ah, he said softly. “You were told. By whom, and I may ask?”

”Laoghaire.” Even now, I could not repress a brief spurt of rage at the girl’s name. Out of thwarted jealousy over my having married Jamie, she had deliberately tried to have me killed. Considerable depths of malice for a sixteen-year-old girl. And even now, mingled with the rage was that tiny spark of grim satisfaction; he’s mine, I thought, almost subconsciously. Mine. You’ll never take him from me. Never.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 14, 2015 -- Lee, 21:47:49 08/13/15 Thu
    Who would have thought that this encounter, in the middle of all that was going on, would turn into such a strong and far-reaching connection. This is a fine example of why re-reading this series can be so very rewarding. The great stuff you couldn’t read the future and see the importance of kind of smacks you in the head (in the best of ways). ☺

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 36, Prestonpans. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ The man hit the trunk hard, loosing a shower of leaves and acorns, and slid slowly down to lie dazed in the leaf-meal.

Attracted by the noise, Murtagh, Ross, and a couple of the other Fraser men materialized by the fire. Hauling the intruder to his feet, they pulled him roughly into the circle of firelight. Murtagh grabbed the captive by the hair and jerked his head backward, bringing his face into view.

It was a small, fine-boned face, with big, long-lashed eyes that blinked dazedly at the crowding faces.

“But he’s only a boy!” I exclaimed. “He can’t be more than fifteen!”

“Sixteen!” said the boy. ”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday August 13, 2015 -- Lee, 22:03:00 08/12/15 Wed
    I really thought this was going to pay Claire’s debt to the King. Was kind of cheering her on that she didn’t have to…you know. Silly me, lol!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27, An Audience with His Majesty. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ The King’s hand was under my elbow, directing my attention beyond the table. Now that the candle was lighted, I could see the two figures who stood silently among the flickering shadows. I started at the sight, and the King’s hand tightened on my arm.

The Compte St. Germain and Master Raymond stood there, side by side, separated by a distance of six feet or so. Raymond gave no sign of acknowledgment, but stood quietly, staring off to one side with the pupil-less black eyes of a frog in a bottomless well. “

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, August 12, 2015 -- Lee, 22:22:24 08/11/15 Tue
    Not your traditional hump day quote. :-D

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 22, The Royal Stud. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ The stallion burst from his stall toward the tethered mare with a suddenness that made everyone fall back from the fence. Puffs of dust flew up in clouds as the huge hooves struck the packed dirt of the pen, and drops of saliva flew from his open mouth. The groom who had opened his stall door jumped aside, tiny and insignificant next to the magnificent fury let loose in the pen.

The mare curvetted and squealed in alarm, but then he was on her, and his teeth closed on the sturdy arch of her neck, forcing her head down into submission. The great swathe of her tail swept high, leaving her naked, exposed to his lust.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, August 11, 2015 -- Lee, 22:03:01 08/10/15 Mon
    This passage and the preceding moments always give me chills. Murtagh is so very serious. And vengeance will be had!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 19, An Oath is Sworn. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ Jamie’s voice dropped still further, but it was not a whisper. Holding the middle three fingers of his right hand stiff, he laid them together over the hilt of the dirk, at the juncture of haft and tang.

“I charge ye, then, by your oath to me and your word to my mother – find the men. Hunt them, and when they be found, I do charge ye wi’ the vengeance due my wife’s honor – and the blood of Mary Hawkins’s innocence.”

He paused a moment, then took his hand from the knife. The clansman raised it, holding it upright by the blade. Acknowledging my presence for the first time, he bowed his head toward me and said, “As the laird has spoken, lady, so I will do. I will lay vengeance at your feet.” “

Replies:

• QOTD for Mnday August 10, 2015 -- Lee, 21:21:11 08/09/15 Sun
    Claire is getting so close to being able to tell Bree what she traveled to Scotland to tell her. She wasn’t expecting this, though!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 5, Beloved Wife. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “Dr. Randall – Claire – are you all right?“

The amber eyes were blank, and she appeared not to hear him for a moment. Then she blinked, and looked up. She was still pale, but seemed better now; back in control.

“I’m fine,” she said, voice flat. She stooped, and ran her fingers over the letters of the stone as though reading them in Braille.

“Jonathan Wolverton Randall,” she said softly, “1705 – 1746. I told you, didn’t I? You bastard, I told you!” Her voice, so flat an instant before, was suddenly vibrant, filled with a restrained fury. “

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 9, 2015 -- Lee, 20:31:53 08/08/15 Sat
    Hello Lallybroch. ☺

Thanks for all the great quotes this past week, JustGina and ScarlettO. Some of my favorite moments are in there. Sorry for your loss, Miss Michele – my thoughts are with you.

My quotes this week will be random passages that I enjoy, all from DIA. I avoided re-reading this book for so long (what with the broken heart and all) that once I did read it again, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. My heart broke again, of course, but other than that I loved the story much more than that first time.

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1, Mustering the Roll. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ The door of the manse had a tendency to stick in damp weather, which meant that it was stuck most of the time. Roger freed it with a rending screech, to find a woman on the doorstep.

“Can I help you?”

She was middle height and very pretty. He had an overall impression of fine bones and white linen, topped with a wealth of curly brown hair in a sort of half-tamed chignon. And in the middle of it all, the most extraordinary pair of light eyes, just the color of well-aged sherry.

The eyes swept up from his size-eleven plimsolls to the face a foot above her. The sidelong smile grew wider. “I hate to start right off with a cliché,” she said, “but my, how you have grown, young Roger!”

Last edited by author: Sun August 09, 2015 10:04:53   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, October 8, 2015 -- ScarlettO, 18:31:32 08/07/15 Fri
    I love the letters exchanged by Jamie and Lord John so much - I'm sharing a snippet with you here. And this one is especially funny IMHO because I have been in those crying, sleepless shoes.

The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 30, “Spawn of Satan.” © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

22 July – My grandson has a rash, though my wife declares it of no moment. The white sow has broken through her pen again and escaped into the forest. I am in two minds whether I shall pursue her or only express sympathy for the unfortunate predator that first encounters her. Her temper is similar to that of my daughter at the moment, the latter having slept little these past few nights…

Brianna leaned forward, frowning at the page.

…..in consequence of the infant’s screaming, which my wife says is the colid and will pass. I trust she is right. Meanwhile, I have settled Brianna and the child in the old cabin, which is some relief to us in the house, if not to my poor daughter. The white sow ate four of her last litter before I could prevent her.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 7, 2015 -- JustGina, 05:43:31 08/07/15 Fri
    I admit it. I cried. I KNEW what was coming, but I wept anyway.

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 115, ‘The Raveled Sleeve of Care’. Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“‘Ian?” she whispered, but he didn’t attend.

”A Dhia,” he said, very softly. “Ah, no, a charaid…”

She knew at once. Should have known from the instant she woke. Because Rollo woke when Ian did, stretching and yawning with a groaning creak of jaw muscles and a lazy thump of tail against the wall, before coming to poke a cold nose into his master’s hand.

This morning there was only stillness, and the curled form of what used to be Rollo.

Ian rose and went to him swiftly, knelt on the floor beside the body of his dog, and laid a gentle hand on the big furry head. He didn’t say anything, or weep, but she heard the sound he made when he breathed, as of something tearing in his chest.

She got out of bed and came to Ian, kneeling beside him, arm about his waist, and she was weeping, quite without meaning to.

”Mo chù,” Ian said, running his hand lightly over the soft, thick fur. ”Mo chuilean.” There was a catch in his voice when he said, ”Beannachd leat, a charaid.” Goodbye, old friend.

Then he sat back on his heels, took a deep breath, and clasped Rachel’s hand very hard. “He waited, I think. Until he kent ye were here for me.’”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, August 6,2015 -- ScarlettO, 19:54:16 08/05/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 14, “Happy The Bride The Moon Shines On. Copyright (c) 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Look happy, Papa!” Germain pointed to his gigantic smile. “See?”

Fergus’s mouth twitched, as he glanced from his offspring to Jamie. His face went blank for a moment, then adjusted itself into an enormous smile of white-toothed insincerity. Marsali kicked him in the ankle. He winced, but the smile didn’t waver.

Roger and Brianna were having a last-minute conference with Reverend Campbell, on the other side of the fire. Brianna turned from this, brushing back her loose hair, saw the phalanx of grinning faces, and stared, her mouth slightly open. Her eyes went to me. I shrugged helplessly.

Her lips pressed tight together, but curved upward irrepressibly. Her shoulders shook with suppressed laughter. I feel Jamie quiver next to me.

Replies:

• Filling in for Miss Michele.. Lucky me that I got Hump Day! Forgive me for reading the rules AFTER I typed all this out. I’m gonna post it anyway and hope for leniency because, A) I haven’t done this in years and there were no 10 line rules then, and B) It’s so damn beautiful I couldn’t cut it short, and C) It’s HUMP DAY Y’all! The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, between chapters 94 and 95, ‘A Coda in Three-Two Time’. Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- JustGina, 05:55:50 08/05/15 Wed
    “She tasted faintly sweet, of her own musk and a trace of blandness with an animal tang that he recognized as his own seed.

He buried his face in her, breathing deep, and the slight salt taste of blood made him think of trout, fresh-caught and barely cooked, the flesh hot and tender, pink and slick in his mouth. She jerked in surprise and arched up into him, and he tightened his hold on her, making a low hmmm of reassurance.

It was like fishing, he thought dreamily, hands under her hips. Feeling with your mind for the sleek dark shape just under ;the surface, letting the fly come down just so… She drew her breath in, hard. And then engagement, the sudden sense of startlement, and then a fierce awareness as the line sprang taught, you and the fish so focused on each other that there was nothing else in the world…

“Oh, God,” he whispered, and ceased to think, only feeling the small movements of her body, her hands on his head, the smell and taste of her, and her feelings washed through him with her murmured words.

“I love thee, Ian…”

And there was nothing else in the world but her.”

Replies:

• In honor of Michele, who is unable to finish the week but had preselected this quote - The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1. Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- ScarlettO, 16:17:50 08/03/15 Mon
    "I woke to the patter of rain on canvas, with the feel of my first husband’s kiss on my lips. I blinked, disoriented, and by reflex put my fingers to my mouth. To keep the feeling, or to hide it? I wondered, even as I did so.
    Jamie stirred and murmured in his sleep next to me, his movement rousing a fresh wave of of of scent from the cedar branches under our bottom quilt. Perhaps the ghost’s passing had disturbed him. I frowned at the empty air outside our lean-to.

Go away, Frank, I thought sternly.

Shouldn’t I come to see her married?

I couldn’t tell whether the words had formed themselves in my thoughts, or whether they—and that kiss—were merely the product of my own subconscious."

JustGina and I will be alternating the remainder of the week. There will probably not be a theme beyond, "Stuff we like." LOL

Michele, we're sending hugs your way.

Replies:

• QOTD Monday August 3rd -- Miss Michele, 15:38:58 08/03/15 Mon
    QOTD Monday August 3rd 2015 Outlander:
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.
    "Sitting up on the side of the ancient bed, he bounced gently up and down, creating a piercing rhythmic squeak. The Hoovering in the hall stopped abruptly. After a minute or two of bouncing, he gave a loud, theatrical groan and collapsed backward with a twang of protesting springs. I giggled helplessly into a pillow, so as not to disturb the breathless silence outside.
    Frank waggled his eyebrows at me. “You’re supposed to moan ecstatically, not giggle,”he admonished in a whisper. “She’ll think I’m not a good lover.”
    “You’ll have to keep it up for longer than that, if you expect ecstatic moans,” I answered. “Two minutes doesn’t deserve any more than a giggle.”

“Inconsiderate little wench. I came here for a rest, remember?”

“Lazybones. You’ll never manage the next branch on your family tree unless you show a bit more industry than that.”

Replies:

• Outlander: The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 27. Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. "When I asked my da how ye knew which was the right woman, he told me when the time came, I'd have no doubt. And I didn't. When I woke in the dark under that tree on the road to Leoch, with you sitting on my chest, cursing me for bleeding to death, I said to myself 'Jamie Fraser, for all ye canna see what she looks like, and for all she weights as much as a good draft horse, this is the woman." Diana Gabaldon, Outlander (Outlander, #1) -- Miss Michele, 08:33:14 08/02/15 Sun

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, August 1, 2015 -- kgp, 17:22:59 07/31/15 Fri
    The following quotation is from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1994. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 1. The Corbie’s Feast

“There was a rustle near his ear, and he turned his head to see the crow. It stood on the grass a foot away, a blotch of wind-ruffled black feathers, regarding him with a bead-bright eye. Deciding that he posed no threat, it swiveled its neck with casual ease and jabbed its thick bill into Jack Randall’s eye.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, July 30, 2015 -- kgp, 17:25:35 07/30/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 44. Scotchee. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“And so he began haltingly to speak – in Gaelic, as it was the only tongue that didn’t seem to require any effort. He understood that he was to speak of what filled his heart, and so began with Scotland – and Culloden. Of grief. Of loss. Of fear.

And in the speaking turned from past to future, where he saw these three specters loom again, cold creatures coming toward him out of the fog, looking through empty eyes.

Another stood among them – Jack Randall – confusingly on both sides of him. Those eyes were not empty, but alive, intent in a misty face. Had he killed the man, or not? If he had, did the ghost follow at his heels? Or if he had not, was it the thought of vengeance unsatisfied that haunted him, taunted him with its imperfect memory?

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 30, 2015 -- kgp, 03:17:54 07/30/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 10. Duty Calls. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

”Don’t be afraid, laddie. It doesna hurt a bit, to die.” He missed his footing and staggered, caught himself and stood still, a taste of metal on the back of his tongue.

His heart was thumping, suddenly, for no reason, as though he had run miles. He saw the cabin, certainly, and heard the calling of the jays in the half-leafed chestnut trees. But he saw even more clearly Murtagh’s face, the grim lines of it relaxing into peace and the deep-set black eyes fixed on his, shifting in and out of focus, as though his godfather looked at once at him and at something far beyond him. He felt the weight of Murtagh’s body in his arms, growing suddenly heavy as he died.

The vision vanished, as abruptly as it had come, and he found himself standing next to a rain puddle, staring at a wooden duck half-mired in the mud.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 29, 2015 -- kgp, 03:08:02 07/29/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 113. The Ghosts of Culloden. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Randall had grunted with the blow – Christ, he could hear it – and jerked aside staggering, but turning as he fell, grasping Murtagh’s wrist, dragging him down in a shower of spray from the wet gorse they fell through.

They had rolled away into a hollow, locked together, struggling, and he had flung himself through the clinging plants in pursuit, some weapon – what, what had he held? – in his fist.

But the feel of it faded against his skin; he felt the weight of the thing in his hand, but there was no shape of hilt or trigger to remind him, and it was gone again.

Leaving him with that one image: Murtagh. Murtagh, teeth clenched and bared as he struck. Murtagh, running, coming to save him.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, July 28, 2015 -- kgp, 02:55:46 07/28/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 113. The Ghosts of Culloden. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

”Jack Randall stood still. His sword was in his hand, but he made no effort to raise it. Only stood there, that odd smile on his lips, dark eyes burning in Jamie’s own.
    If he’d been able to break that gaze . . . but he couldn’t, and so caught the blur of movement behind Randall. Murtagh, running, bounding tussocks like a sheep. And the glint of his godfather’s blade – had he seen that, or only imagined it? No matter; he’d known without doubt from the cock of Murtagh’s arm, and seen before it happened the murderous strike come upward toward the Captain’s red-clad back.

But Randall spun, warned maybe by some change in his eyes, the sob of Murtagh’s breath – or only by a soldier’s instinct. Too late to avoid the thrust, but soon enough that the dirk missed its fatal aim into the kidney”

Last edited by author: Tue July 28, 2015 06:29:54   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Oops! -- kgp, 05:43:09 07/27/15 Mon
    I'm running late today and forgot to post the one I wanted. So here's a bit to tide ye over until this evening.

Monday The following quotation is from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 21 . Bloody Men

“They couldna be marrit in kirk, for the banns couldna be called, and they’d be discovered the moment they came out of hiding to speak to a priest. So they stayed hidden until Ellen – that would be my grannie, aye? – was big wi’ child, and then came out. Her brothers couldna object to the marriage at that point, and so they were wed.” He shrugged. “So I was only wondering: would Friends think a coming child a dire circumstance?”

Rachel stared at him.

“If thee thinks that I will lie with thee without marriage, Ian Murray,” she said, in measured tones, “thee has no notion just how dire thy own circumstances might become.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, July 26, 2015 -- kgp, 17:12:50 07/25/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 31. And So To Bed. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

”Kill me.” Randall’s eyes were fever-bright. “Kill me,” he said. “My heart’s desire.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, July 25 2015 Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 35, Wentworth Prison. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 21:33:13 07/24/15 Fri

I've enjoyed sharing a few of the lines that I missed not being in the Starz series. I hope that you have enjoyed them also. This last one was another heart breaker for me.

I know it does, mo duinne. And that's why you will go now. So I'll know there is someone still who minds for me." He drew me close again, kissed me gently and whispered in Gaelic, "He will let you go because he thinks you are helpless. I know you are not." Releasing me, he said in English, "I love you. Go now."

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, July 24 2015 Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27 The Last Reason. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 20:17:05 07/23/15 Thu

On a lighter note.

"I'm making love to my wife," he panted, breathless between giggling and fighting.

"Well, ye could find a more suitable place for it," she said, raising the other eyebrow. "That floor'll give ye splinters in your arse."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 24 2015 Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 23, Return to Leoch. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 18:30:10 07/22/15 Wed

And for me there was this heart breaker.

"Is there really nothing for me here, Jamie?"

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 22 2015 Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 25, Thou Shalt Not Suffer a Witch to Live. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 17:44:02 07/21/15 Tue

I worked a long day and I'm afraid that when I finally sit down I won't get up till the morning. So here is an early Wednesday quote. These are a few more of my favorite lines I would have like to have been included in the series. Perhaps you may agree. Enjoy.

"Jesus, Claire. I thought ye were dead, sure. You…you began to…go, somehow, You had the most awful look on your face, like ye were frightened to death. I - pulled ye back from the stone. I stopped ye, I shouldna have done so - I'm sorry, lassie."

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, July 21 2015 Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 23, Return to Leoch. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 19:13:55 07/20/15 Mon

"No, it's only she' married me," he said, "though if ye care to call it an accident, ye can."

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, July 20, 2015 Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 15, Revelations of the Bridal Chamber. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 19:26:25 07/19/15 Sun

"I know once is enough to make it legal, but…" He paused shyly.
    "You want to do it again?"
    "Would ye mind verra much?"

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, July 19, 2015 Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 15, Revelations of the Bridal Chamber. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 19:07:43 07/18/15 Sat
    "Tell me if I'm too rough, or tell me to stop altogether, if ye wish. Anytime until we are joined; I dinner think I can stop after that."

Let me say that I am loving the Starz Outlander. But this week will be a few of the lines I wish had been in the show.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, July 18, 2015 -- CindyG, 20:58:05 07/17/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 11, The Torremolinos Gambit. Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"'I had meant to thank you sometime, Major,' the Scot said softly.

Grey was startled. 'Thank me? For what?'

The Scot looked up, eyes dark over the finished game.

'For that night at Carryarrick where we first met.' His eyes were steady on Grey’s. 'For what ye did for my wife.'

'You remembered,' Grey said hoarsely.

'I hadna forgotten,' Fraser said simply. Grey steeled himself to look across the table, but when he did so, he found no hint of laughter in the slanted blue eyes.

Fraser nodded at him, gravely formal. 'Ye were a worthy foe, Major; I wouldna forget you.'

John Grey laughed bitterly. Oddly enough, he felt less upset than he had thought he would, at having the shameful memory so explicitly recalled.

'If you found a sixteen-year-old shitting himself with fear a worthy foe, Mr. Fraser, then it is little wonder that the Highland army was defeated!'

Fraser smiled faintly.

'A man that doesna shit himself with a pistol held to his head, Major, has either no bowels, or no brains.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for July 17, 2015 -- CindyG, 21:36:47 07/16/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 10, White Witch's Curse. Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"It had finally occurred to him to ask; not the question he had been asking all along, but the more important one. He had done it at the conclusion of a game of chess, which Fraser had won. The guard was standing at the door, ready to escort Fraser back to his cell; as the prisoner had risen from his seat, Grey had stood up, too.

'I shall not ask you again why you left the prison,' he had said, calmly conversational. 'But I will ask you—why did you come back?'

Fraser had frozen briefly, startled. He turned back and met Grey’s eyes directly. For a moment he said nothing. Then his mouth curled up in a smile.

'I suppose I must value the company, Major; I can tell ye, it’s not the food.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 16, 2015 -- CindyG, 22:05:45 07/15/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 9, The Wanderer. Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"Clearly neither force nor threat would work in gaining the truth. Reluctantly, he realized that there was only one course open to him, if he still wished to pursue the gold. He must put aside his feelings about the man and take Quarry’s suggestion. He must pursue an acquaintance, in the course of which he might worm out of the man some clue that would lead him to the hidden treasure.

If it existed, he reminded himself, turning to his prisoner. He took a deep breath.

'Mr. Fraser,' he said formally, 'will you do me the honor to take supper tomorrow in my quarters?'

He had the momentary satisfaction of having startled the Scottish bastard, at least. The blue eyes opened wide, and then Fraser regained the mastery of his face. He paused for a moment, and then bowed with a flourish, as though he wore a kilt and swinging plaid, and not damp prison rags.

'It will be my pleasure to attend ye, Major,' he said."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 15, 2015 -- CindyG, 21:18:12 07/14/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 9, The Wanderer. Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"Straightening up from what too late struck him as a most undignified posture, Grey raised his head and looked straight into the face of James Fraser.

He was no more than six feet away. He stood still as one of the red deer, the moor wind brushing over him, with the rising sun tangled in his hair.

They stood frozen, staring at each other. The smell of the sea came faintly on the wind. There was no sound but the sea wind and the singing of meadowlarks for a moment. Then Grey drew himself up, swallowing to bring his heart down from his throat.

'I fear you take me at a disadvantage, Mr. Fraser,' he said coolly, fastening his breeches with as much self-possession as he could muster.

The Scot’s eyes were the only part of him to move, down over Grey and slowly back up. Looked over his shoulder, to where six armed soldiers stood, pointing their muskets. Dark blue eyes met his, straight on. At last, the edge of Fraser’s mouth twitched, and he said, 'I think ye take me at the same, Major.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, July 14, 2015 -- CindyG, 21:41:52 07/13/15 Mon

“'I am a prisoner, Major,' the Scot said politely. 'Not an interpreter.'
    'Your assistance would be—appreciated,' Grey said, trying to infuse the word with significance without offering outright bribery. 'Conversely,' his tone hardened, 'a failure to render legitimate assistance—'
    'It is not legitimate for ye either to extort my services or to threaten me, Major.' Fraser’s voice was a good deal harder than Grey’s.
    'I did not threaten you!' The edge of the letter-opener was cutting into his hand; he was forced to loosen his grip.
    'Did ye no? Well, and I’m pleased to hear it.' Fraser turned toward the door. 'In that case, Major, I shall bid ye good night.'
    Grey would have given a great deal simply to have let him go. Unfortunately, duty called. 'Mr. Fraser!'
    The Scot stopped, a few feet from the door, but didn’t turn.
    Grey took a deep breath, steeling himself to it. 'If you do what I ask, I will have your irons struck off,' he said.
    Fraser stood quite still. Young and inexperienced Grey might be, but he was not unobservant. Neither was he a poor judge of men. Grey watched the rise of his prisoner’s head, the increased tension of his shoulders, and felt a small relaxation of the anxiety that had gripped him since the news of the wanderer had come.
    'Mr. Fraser?' he said.
    Very slowly, the Scot turned around. His face was quite expressionless. 'You have a bargain, Major,' he said softly."

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, July 13, 2015 -- CindyG, 21:37:17 07/12/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 8, Honor's Prisoner. Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"He had come to himself moments later, slumped against a tree, facing a circle of ferocious-looking Highlanders, all in their plaids. In the midst of them stood Red Jamie Fraser—and the woman.

Grey clenched his teeth. Curse that woman! If it hadn’t been for her—well, God knew what might have happened. What had happened was that she had spoken. She was English, a lady by her speech, and he—idiot that he
    was!—had leapt at once to the conclusion that she was a hostage of the vicious Highlanders, no doubt kidnapped for the purpose of ravishment. Everyone said that Highlanders indulged in rapine at every opportunity, and took delight in dishonoring Englishwomen; how should he have known otherwise!

And Lord John William Grey, aged sixteen and filled to the brim with regimental notions of gallantry and noble purpose, bruised, shaken, and fighting the pain of his broken arm, had tried to bargain, to save her from her fate. Fraser, tall and mocking, had played him like a salmon, stripping the woman half-naked before him to force from him information about the position and strength of his brother’s regiment. And then, when he had told all he could, Fraser had laughingly revealed that the woman was his wife. They’d all laughed; he could hear the ribald Scottish voices now, hilarious in memory."

And, of course, to make it worse, Jamie wouldn't even kill him! John's honor (and ego) really took a beating that night.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, July 12, 2015 -- CindyG, 22:13:08 07/11/15 Sat
    Thought we'd look at Lord John this week, and his early acquaintance with our friend Jamie.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 8, Honor's Prisoner. Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“'You’ve heard of Red Jamie Fraser, I expect?'

Grey stiffened slightly, but kept his face as unmoved as possible. 'I should imagine most people have,' he said coldly. 'The man was notorious during the Rising.' Quarry had heard the story, damn him! All of it, or only the first part?

Quarry’s mouth twitched slightly, but he merely nodded.

'Quite. Well, we have him. He’s the only senior Jacobite officer here; the Highlander prisoners treat him as their chief. Consequently, if any matters arise involving the prisoners—and they will, I assure you—he acts as their spokesman.'"

Replies:

• QOTD: Saturday, July 11, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 22:56:48 07/10/15 Fri

The following quote is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood,, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 145. "And You Know That." Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I have loved others, and I do love many, Sassenach— but you alone hold all my heart, whole in your hands,” he said softly. “And you know that.”

Replies:

• QOTD: Friday, July 10, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 07:35:16 07/10/15 Fri
    Sorry I'm late! The quote (still just one sentence) is a bit longer. Hope it was worth the wait.

The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 79. "The Cave." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The following is earlier in the same chapter...

"Have ye ever been in the slightest doubt I needed ye?" he demanded.

and if Claire WAS in any doubt, this likely erased it:

"Of course,” he added practically, eyeing me as though estimating the effort involved in forcing me into the loch, “we wouldna need to do it in the water, unless ye liked; I could just dunk ye a few times, drag ye onto the shore, and—God, your arse looks fine, wi’ the wet linen of your shift clinging to it."

Last edited by author: Fri July 10, 2015 22:57:27   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD: Thursday, July 9, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 20:16:45 07/08/15 Wed
    The following quote is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 66. "The Dark Rises." Copyright (c) 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Well, I’ll tell ye, Sassenach,” he said. “If I havena got calluses there, it’s no fault of yours, believe me.”

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of August 9 - LeeR
    Week of August 16 - LissC
    Week of August 23 - CarolSR
    Week of August 30 - kgp
    Week of September 6 - TheresaB
    Week of September 13 - LisaW
    Week of September 20 -
    Week of September 27 -
    Week of October 4 -
    Week of October 11 -
    Week of October 18 -
    Week of October 25 -

web counter
    web counter
    [ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2015 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.