Saturday, June 25, 2016 - Member logins with Firefox should now be operational.
VoyForums

Saturday, July 23, 12:13:17pmVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Social Board and QOTD The Kirk New Releases and Starz Outlander Series Board Ladies of Lallybroch Home Page
Need Help?
LoL FAQ/Voy Tips!/HTML Practice Board

Contact Forum Admin

• Please post QOTD on the Social Board starting January 25 -- Per Judie, posted by M&, 10:19:42 01/25/16 Mon

Please Post QOTD on the Social Board. This board is closing and were moving QOTD on the SB where there is more traffic.

http://www.voy.com/9270/

Thanks everyone! :)

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

• QOTD for Monday, January 25, 2016The following quotation is from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2001. Chapter 45. If it Quacks. . . All Rights Reserved. -- swarl, 06:09:43 01/25/16 Mon
    Well, I decided that since we have been starving for a few days, having two quotes on one day wasn't a surfeit. And thankyou kgp for filling in earlier in the day while I was taking my beauty sleep.

Seeing my face as I descended, he took my arm at once and led me out into the yard.
    “That –that-“ Words failed me.
    “Officious worm?” he supplied helpfully. “Unsonsie sharg?”
    “Yes! Did you hear him?! The gall of him, that jumped-up butcher, that bloody little. . . squirt! No time to indulge my fancies! How dare he?”
    Jamie made a guttural noise, indicating sympathetic outrage.
    “Shall I go up and knivvle him?” he inquired, hand on his dirk. “I could gut him for ye – or just beat his face in if ye’d rather.”

Replies:

• Stand-in QOTD for Monday, Jan 25, 2016 -- kgp, 05:26:23 01/25/16 Mon
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. Chapter 47. Loose Ends. All Rights Reserved.

“Roger felt a strong desire to ease behind the door before she noticed his presence and turned that molten wrath on him. But beyond his own discomfort he was conscious of a growing awe. The girl that stood on the hearth-rug, hissing and spitting in defense of her paternity, flamed with the wild strength that brought the Highland warriors down on their enemies like shrieking banshees. Her long, straight nose lengthened further by the shadows, eyes slitted like a snarling cat’s, she was the image of her father – and her father was patently not the dark, quiet scholar whose photo adorned the jacket of the book on the table.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, January 23, 2016 -- CarolSR, 15:03:11 01/22/16 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 46 Timor Mortis Conturbat Me. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I ran toward the opening in the wall, heart in my throat, as he turned back to the doorway, hand on his sword. I stopped, just for a moment, for the last sight of him. He turned his head, caught sight of me, and suddenly he was with me, pushing me hard against the wall in an agony of desperation. He gripped me fiercely to him. I could feel his erection pressing into my stomach and the hilt of his dagger dug into my side.

He spoke hoarsely into my hair. “Once more. I must!”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 22, 2016 -- CarolSR, 14:36:59 01/21/16 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 46 Timor Mortis Conturbat Me. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I will find you,” he whispered in my ear. “I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you-then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest.”

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

“Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 21, 2016 -- CarolSR, 14:10:55 01/20/16 Wed

“He opened his mouth, speechless, then closed it, shaking his head. The light over the mountains was failing, painting the clouds with a dull red glow. At last he reached for me, drew me close and held me.

“D’ye think I don’t know?” he asked softly. “It’s me that has the easy part now. For if ye feel for me as I do for you-then I am asking you to tear out your heart and live without it.” His hand stroked my hair, the roughness of his knuckles catching in the blowing strands.

“But ye must do it, mo duinne. My brave lioness. Ye must.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, January 20, 2016 -- CarolSR, 14:27:54 01/19/16 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 6 Making Waves. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I moved my hips against him, to bring him deeper. He closed his eyes, and his brow furrowed slightly in concentration. His mouth was open, and his breath came hard. “I can’t..” he said. “Oh, God, I canna help it.” His buttocks clenched suddenly, taut beneath my hands.
    I sighed with deep satisfaction, and pulled him hard against me.
    “You’re all right?” he asked, a few moments later.
    “I won’t break, you know,” I said, smiling into his eyes.
    He laughed huskily. “Maybe not, Sassenach, but I may.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, January 19, 2016 -- CarolSR, 14:23:34 01/18/16 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 6, MAKING WAVES. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“His breath rose in a faint cloud as he turned back the quilt and spread the front of the nightdress to expose my breasts. Bending his head, he kissed each one, touching the nipple delicately with his tongue, so it rose as though by magic, a swelling dark pink against the white skin of my breast.

“God, they’re so lovely” he murmured, repeating the process on the other side. He cupped both breasts, admiring them.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, January 18, 2016 -- CarolSR, 15:56:45 01/17/16 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 6 Making Waves. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Lifting the quilt, he rolled next to me and I turned into his arms, clasping the solid curves of his back, letting my hands cup the firm rounds of his buttocks. His bare flesh was chilled by the morning air, but the goose bumps smoothed away under the warmth of my touch.

I tried to bring him to me at once, but he resisted me gently, forcing me down onto the pillow as he nibbled the edges of neck and ear. One hand slid up my thigh, the thin material of the nightgown gliding in waves before it.”

• QOTD for Sunday, January 17, 2016 -- CarolSR, 15:57:48 01/16/16 Sat
    As we get ready for Season 2 of the Starz series, thought we'd take a look at some favorite quotes from Dragonfly in Amber. I did a re-read not too long ago and realized there is sooooo much going on in this book. I could easily quote daily for a month...or more. :)

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 17 We Meet a Beggar. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I laid one hand very gently on my abdomen, just above the womb.

There it was. There was no sense of him, or her, as I had thought there might be-but there was certainly a sense of Someone. I wondered whether perhaps babies had no gender-physical characteristics aside-until birth, when the act of exposure to the outside world set them forever as one or the other."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday 16th January 2016 -- Kirsten, 02:59:55 01/16/16 Sat
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana
    Gabaldon, chapter 7 ‘James Fraser Indian Agent’. Copyright© 2005 by
    Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

My last quote for the week and again I hope it amuses you. Jamie is obviously not at all fussy when it comes to his Claire.

“ “Lie back, Sassenach, and ruckle up your shift. Then open your legs for me, there’s a good lass no, a bit wider, aye?” He began – with deliberate slowness – to open his shirt.
    I sighed and shifted my buttocks a little, looking for a position that wouldn’t give me cramp if I had to hold it for long.
    “If you have in mind what I think you have in mind, you’ll regret it. I haven’t even bathed properly,” I said reproachfully, “I’m desperately filthy and I smell like a horse.”
    Naked, he raised one arm and sniffed appraisingly.
    “Oh? Well, so do I. That’s no matter; I’m fond of horses.” He’d abandoned all pretence of delay, but paused to survey his arrangements, looking over me with approval.”

She’d been on a horse for ten hours prior to this, was stiff, tired and filthy. Added to all that, Major MacDonald was across the landing. Does Claire EVER say no???

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday 15th January 2016 -- Kirsten, 01:25:07 01/15/16 Fri
    From Dragonfly in Amber:
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana
    Gabaldon, chapter entitled ‘Prestonpans’. Copyright (c)
    1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The first encounter with Lord John Grey. We didn't know at this point how important he was to become.....

“Turning me towards himself, he twined his fingers in my hair, forcing my head back and kissing me with deliberate brutality that made me squirm involuntarily in protest.
    Freeing my hair, he pulled me hard against him, facing the boy on the other side of the fire. The boy’s eyes were enormous, aghast with reflections of flame in the wide dark pupils.
    ’Let her go!” he demanded hoarsely. ‘What are you proposing to do with her?’
    Jamie’s hands reached to the neck of my gown. With a sudden jerk, he tore the fabric of my gown and shift, baring most of my bosom.”

Rather shocking in my opinion, especially when Jamie gagged Claire, tied her hands behind her back with her belt and bared her totally to the waist, to the embarrassment of his men.
    The humour in this scene however came at the end from Murdoch who told Jamie that he would be dogsmeat if he untied yon lassie without a dirk in his hand.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday 14th January 2016 -- Kirsten, 02:08:08 01/14/16 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 36 ‘MacRannoch’ Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

This quote involves the two of my most favourite minor characters in the whole series and I’m sorry we didn’t see them again.

“ “You do what’s needed and I’ll scream if I have to.”
    Replacing the leather strip, he bared his clenched teeth ferociously at me, then slowly and deliberately crossed his eyes. This made him look so like an addlepated tiger that I burst into half hysterical laughter before I could stop myself.
    I clapped my hands over my mouth, cheeks flaming as I saw the astonished looks on the faces of Lady Annabelle and the servants, who, standing behind Jamie, naturally could see nothing of his face. Sir Marcus, who had caught a brief glimpse from his seat at the bedside, grinned in his spade shaped beard.”

A light hearted moment in an otherwise very dark chapter.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday 13th January 2016 -- Kirsten, 02:11:21 01/13/16 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 44
    ‘Forces of Nature’. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

A steamy quote for a Wednesday........keeping up with the hump day tradition, I couldn't do otherwise could I?

“He seized me, picked me up bodily and laid me on the desk, heedless of crumpled papers and scattered quills. Tossing my skirts up past my waist, he grabbed my hips and half lay on me, his hard thighs forcing my legs apart.
    It was like grasping a salamander; a blaze of heat in a chilly shroud. I gasped as the tail of his sopping shirt touched my bare belly, then gasped again as I heard footsteps in the passage.
    ‘Stop!’ I hissed in his ear. ‘Someone’s coming!’
    ‘Too late,’ he said, with breathless certainty. ‘I must have ye, or die.’
    He took me, with one quick ruthless thrust, and I bit his shoulder hard, tasting salt and wet linen, but he made no sound. Two strokes, three and I had my legs locked tight around his buttocks, my cry muffled in his shirt, not caring either who else might be coming.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday January 12th 2016 -- Kirsten, 02:11:11 01/12/16 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon,
    chapter 9 ‘Two-thirds of a Ghost’. Copyright (c) 1997 by

This is the aftermath of Claire swallowing her silver ring so Bonnet and his henchmen couldn't have it. Jamie made her drink a truly disgusting concoction (see page 182) to make her throw up.

“’Good as new.’ Jamie finished polishing the silver ring on his shirttail and held it up, admiring it in the glow of the lantern.
    ‘That is somewhat better than can be said of me.’ I replied coldly. I lay in a crumpled heap on the deck, which in spite of the placid current, seemed to be still heaving very slightly under me. ‘You are a grade-A, double-dyed, sadistic fucking bastard, Jamie Fraser!’
    He bent over me and smoothed the damp hair off my face.
    ‘I expect so. If ye feel well enough to call me names, Sassenach, you’ll do. Rest a bit, aye?’ He kissed me gently on the forehead and sat back.”

This whole scene made me laugh, especially the part preceding this where Claire insisted she would wait for the ring to reappear after nature had taken its course and Jamie pointed out the messiness and other disadvantages of that method.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday 11th January 2016 -- Kirsten, 02:09:56 01/11/16 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana
    Gabaldon, ‘Holyrood’ Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

This is where Claire was talking to Colum, who offered her an apology because of the trouble Laoghaire had caused, leading to the accusation of witchcraft. He asked Claire if she wanted him to get Laoghaire’s new husband to punish her. Claire looked out of the window as she thought………

“..Jamie was mine. As I watched, he rucked up his kilt and casually scratched his bottom, the sunlight catching the reddish-gold fuzz that softened the iron hard curve of his thigh. I smiled and went back to my seat…”

She then decided to just accept an apology.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday 10th January 2016 -- Kirsten, 02:36:51 01/10/16 Sun
    I volunteered at very short notice so haven't had time to think too deeply and come up with a theme. This week will be a random selection. Mainly light hearted, quite often humorous.

The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana
    Gabaldon, chapter 20 ‘Dangerous Gifts’ Copyright© 2005 by

Jamie and Claire are discussing the past and their time at the abbey.

“ “Oh and what about you?” I asked, wanting to distract him from the memory of St. Anne. “Didn’t you like me?”
    “Oh, I liked ye fine then,” he assured me. “I maybe like ye even more now, though.”
    “Oh, do you indeed?” I sat up a little straighter, preening. “What’s different?”
    He tilted his head to one side, eyes narrowing a bit in appraisal.
    “Well, ye fart less in your sleep,” he began judiciously, then ducked, laughing, as a pinecone whizzed past his left ear. I seized a chunk of wood, but before I could bat him over the head with it, he lunged and caught me by the arms. He shoved me flat in the grass and collapsed on top of me, pinning me effortlessly.
    “Get off, you oaf! I do not fart in my sleep!”
    “Now how would ye ken that, Sassenach? Ye sleep so sound, ye wouldna wake, even to the sound of your own snoring.”

Replies:

• QOD for Saturday, January 9, 2016 -- BetsyG, 05:56:15 01/09/16 Sat
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 22, The Royal Stud

Finally realizing that he was no longer moving, Fergus raised a cautious head. Then he sat bolt upright on his employer’s stomach and said enthusiastically, “That was fun, milord! Can we do it again?”

Thank you for sharing my week! I wanted to choose a beginning theme for the New Year. In searching DIA, Fergus and his beginning popped out at me. Like you I am interested in finding out the intrigue in his parentage!

Replies:

• No quoter next few weeks -- Judie, 21:38:29 01/08/16 Fri

Replies:

• QOD for Friday, January 8 2016 -- BetsyG, 18:15:46 01/07/16 Thu
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter28 THE COMING OF THE LIGHT

“It’s my fault, Madame, but I didn’t know! I didn’t know he would go to fight the Englishman. And now milord is gone, and he’ll never come back, and it’s all my fault!”

Wailing now, he fell facedown on the ground at my feet. He was crying so loudly that I didn’t think he heard me as I bent to lift him up, but I said it anyway.

“It isn’t your fault, Fergus. It isn’t mine, either— but you’re right; he’s gone.”

Last edited by author: Sat January 09, 2016 05:56:36   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOD for Thursday, January 7, 2016 -- BetsyG, 05:33:07 01/07/16 Thu
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 19 An Oath is Sworn.

“How did you come to sleep at Madame Elise’s, Fergus?” I asked, barely suppressing a yawn.

“I was born there, milady,” he answered. The strokes of the brush grew slower, and his voice was growing drowsy. “I used to wonder which of the ladies was my mother, but I never found out.”

Last edited by author: Sat January 09, 2016 05:56:52   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOD for Wednesday, January 6, 2016 -- BetsyG, 18:52:18 01/05/16 Tue
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved.Chapter 14, MEDITATIONS ON THE FLESH.

The boy’s face was white and tracked with tears, but he was not weeping now. With considerable dignity, he bowed, first to me and then Jamie, in turn.

“Madame, Monsieur, I am ashamed,” he said, low-voiced but distinct. “I am unworthy to be in your employment, but still I beg that you will not dismiss me.” His high-pitched voice quavered a little at the thought, and I bit my lip. Fergus glanced aside at the ranks of the servants, as though for moral support, and received a nod of encouragement from Fernand the coachman. Drawing a deep breath for courage, he straightened up and addressed Jamie directly.

“I am ready to suffer my punishment now, milord,” he said.

Replies:

• Hey! Guess what! -- Judie, 22:55:07 01/04/16 Mon
    We are running out of quoters after Saturday!

Help! :)

Replies:

• QOD for Tuesday, January 5, 2016 Note: I am traveling the next few days so forgive me for posting at odd times ! -- BetsyG, 19:02:45 01/04/16 Mon
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 14, MEDITATIONS ON THE FLESH.

Fergus was more than adept at his profession, and nearly every day brought in a new selection of His Highness’s correspondence; sometimes I was hard pressed to copy everything before Fergus’s next expedition, when he would replace the items abstracted, before stealing the new letters.

Replies:

• QOD for Monday, January 4, 2016 Note: I am traveling the next few days so forgive me for posting at odd times ! -- BetsyG, 16:56:34 01/03/16 Sun
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 12, L’HÔPITAL DES ANGES.

“So, we’ve made the bargain,” Jamie said, nodding at his new servant. “Fergus will do his best to get what I need, and I will provide him with clothes and lodging and thirty écus a year. If he’s caught while doing my service, I’ll do my best to buy him off. If it canna be done, and he loses a hand or an ear, then I maintain him for the rest of his life, as he wilna be able to pursue his profession. And if he’s hanged, then I guarantee to have Masses said for his soul for the space of a year. I think that’s fair, no?”

Replies:

• QOD for Sunday January 3, 2016 -- BetsyG, 07:05:23 01/03/16 Sun
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 12, L’HÔPITAL DES ANGES.

“Fergus?” I said, eyeing the boy, and trying to ignore the goings-on below. The lad was possibly nine or ten, but small for his age, and fine-boned as a ferret. Clad in clean, worn clothes several sizes too big for him, he was also as French as they come, with the pale, sallow skin and big, dark eyes of a Parisian street child.

“Well, his name is really Claudel, but we decided that didna sound verra manly, so he’s to be called Fergus instead. A suitable warrior’s name, that.” Catching the sound of his name— or names— the boy glanced up and grinned shyly at me.

Last edited by author: Sun January 03, 2016 16:51:01   Edited 4 times.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, January 2, 2016 -- kgp, 09:55:21 01/02/16 Sat
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 6. Making Waves

“I viewed him with some concern.

“Jamie,” I said, “how, exactly, do you decide whether you’re drunk?”

Aroused by my voice, he swayed alarmingly to one side, but caught himself on the edge of the mantelpiece. His eyes drifted around the room, then fixed on my face. For an instant, they blazed clear and pellucid with intelligence.

“Och, easy, Sassenach. If ye can stand up, you’re not drunk.” He let go of the mantelpiece, took a step toward me, and crumpled slowly onto the hearth, eyes blank, and a wide, sweet smile on his dreaming face.

“Oh,” I said. “

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 1, 2016 -- kgp, 05:07:33 01/01/16 Fri
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 6. Making Waves.

"I dinna need help," he said, reaching for the cord at the neck of his shirt. "I told ye, I'm not drunk."

"You're right," I said. "'Drunk' isn't anywhere near sufficient to describe your current state. Jamie, you're completely pissed."

His eyes traveled down the front of his kilt, across the floor, and up the front of my gown.

"No, I'm not," he said, with great dignity. "I did that outside." He took a step toward me, glowing with ardor. "Come here to me, Sassenach; I'm ready."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, December 31, 2015 -- kgp, 08:32:32 12/31/15 Thu
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 6. Making Waves

“I sat still, my mending forgotten in my lap, watching this performance with considerable interest. After a moment, he opened his eyes and smiled at me, but didn’t say anything. He leaned forward, studying my face with great attention, as though he hadn’t seen me in weeks. At last, an expression of profound revelation passed over his face, and he relaxed, shoulders slumping as he rested his elbows on his knees.

“Whisky,” he said, with immense satisfaction.

“I see,” I said cautiously. “A lot of it?”

He shook his head slowly from side to side, as though it were very heavy. I could almost hear the contents sloshing.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 29, 2015 -- kgp, 03:56:14 12/30/15 Wed
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 30. Lallybroch

“In the forward cabin of the Portia, I had sat on the captain’s bunk, watching the steady rise and fall of the receding shoreline, my husband’s head cradled on my knees.

One eye opened a slit and looked up at me. I stroked the heavy damp hair off his brow. The scent of ale and whisky hung about him like perfume.

“You are going to feel exactly like hell when you wake up in Scotland,” I told him.

The other eye opened, and regarded the dancing waves of light reflected across the timbered ceiling. Then they fixed on me, deep pools of limpid blue.

“Between hell now, and hell later, Sassenach,” he said, his speech measured and precise, “I will take later, every time.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 29, 2015 -- kgp, 17:44:45 12/28/15 Mon
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 17. Possesion

“What,” I demanded, “happened to you?

He opened one red-rimmed eye.

“I need a bath,” he said, and closed it again.

I leaned toward him and sniffed delicately. The nose detected the usual smoky smell of closed rooms and damp wool, underlying a truly remarkable combination of alcoholic stenches – ale, wine, whisky, and brandy – which matched the variety of stains on his shirt. And forming a high note to the mixture, a horrible cheap cologne, of a particularly penetrating and noxious pungency.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 28, 2015 -- kgp, 17:56:50 12/27/15 Sun
    The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 14. Meditations on the Flesh

“Weel, nay doubt he’ll be a bit sore.” His Scots accent, usually faint, always grew more pronounced when he drank a lot. He shook his head, squinting through the bottle to judge the level of spirit remaining. “D’ye know, Sassenach, I never ‘til tonight realized how difficult it must ha’ been for my father to beat me? I always thought it was me had the hardest part of that particular transaction.” He tilted his head back and drank again, the set down the bottle and stared owl-eyed into the fire. “Being a father might be a bit more complicated than I’d thought. I’ll have to think about it.”

Last edited by author: Mon December 28, 2015 14:46:41   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, December 27, 2015 -- kgp, 04:33:47 12/27/15 Sun

“The yodeling of roosters outside and the clashing of pots below woke me just after dawn the next morning. The figure next to me jerked, waking abruptly, then froze as the sudden movement jarred his head.

I raised up on one elbow to examine the remains. Not too bad, I thought critically. His eyes were screwed tightly shut against stray beams of sunlight, and his hair stuck out in all directions like a hedgehog’s spines, but his skin was pale and clear, and the hands clutching the coverlet were steady.

I pried open one eyelid, peered within and said playfully, “Anybody home?”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, 26 December 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 17:19:40 12/25/15 Fri

Thank you for sharing Christmas week with me. I thought we'd end with a dissatisfied Jamie who quickly learned to use pop culture references.

The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21, "Night on a Snowy Mountain." Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“'And what the devil are you doin’ here, Ian?'

'Why, I was on my way home to keep Christmas with ye, Uncle,' Ian said, grinning hugely.

Jamie eyed his nephew with marked disfavor.

'Christmas,' he said. 'Bah, humbug.'”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, 25 December 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 21:03:21 12/24/15 Thu

I love the comfort, love, and practicality all rolled into this scene. The holidays are about family and being together, not the stuff that so often takes over.

The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 34, "Charms." Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Catholic as many of them were—and nominally Christian as they all were—Highland Scots regarded Christmas primarily as a religious observance, rather than a major festive occasion. Lacking priest or minister, the day was spent much like a Sunday, though with a particularly lavish meal to mark the occasion, and the exchange of small gifts. My own gift from Jamie had been the wooden ladle I was presently using, its handle carved with the image of a mint leaf; I had given him a new shirt with a ruffle at the throat for ceremonial occasions, his old one having worn quite away at the seams."

Last edited by author: Thu December 24, 2015 21:04:39   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, 24 December 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 20:47:11 12/23/15 Wed

The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 18 "Unseemly Lust." Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“'Have you gone to the devil?'

He smiled down at her, and touched her glowing face. She wore her grandmother’s necklace, in honor of Christmas, and her skin reflected the luster of the freshwater pearls.

'If the devil will have me.'”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, 23 Dec. 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 18:33:34 12/22/15 Tue

This one is at the end of Claire's telling Jamie the Christmas Carol tale, but I loved the last line and chose to only include a wee bit of the tale.

The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21, "Night on a Snowy Mountain." Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ ‘God bless us, every one,’ I ended, and lay silent, a small needle of grief like an ice splinter through my heart. It was quiet inside the shelter, and seemed darker; snow had covered over all the openings. Jamie reached back and touched my leg.

'Put your hands inside my shirt, Sassenach,' he said softly. I slid one hand up under his shirt in front, to rest against his chest, the other up his back. The faded whip marks felt like threads under his skin.

He laid his hand against mine, pressing it tight against his chest. He was very warm, and his heart beat slow and strong under my fingers.

'Sleep, a nighean donn,' he said. 'I wilna let ye freeze.'”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, 22 December 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 20:03:33 12/21/15 Mon

This one has only a passing reference to Christmas, but it was the beginning of a brief peaceful time for Jamie.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 14, "Geneva." Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"It was a lonely life—but he had long since accepted the fact that for him, life was unlikely ever to be otherwise.

The soft snows came down upon Helwater, and even Major Grey’s official visit at Christmas—a tense, awkward occasion—passed without disturbing his growing feelings of content.

Very quietly, he made such arrangements as could be managed, to communicate with Jenny and Ian in the Highlands."

Replies:

• QOTD Monday, 21 December 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 19:18:28 12/20/15 Sun

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 17 "Possession." Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"He leaned forward slightly to assist my ministrations, exposing the hideous scars on his back. The thick red welts of Jack Randall’s Christmas gift lay heavily over the thin white lines of the earlier floggings.

I touched the scars gently, my heart squeezed by the sight. I had seen those wounds when they were fresh, seen him driven to the edge of madness by torture and abuse. But I had healed him, and he had fought with all the power of a gallant heart to be whole once more, to come back to me. Moved by tenderness, I brushed the trailing ends of his hair aside, and bent to kiss the back of his neck."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday 20 December 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 21:14:15 12/19/15 Sat
    Welcome to Christmas week!

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 41 "From the Womb of the Earth." Copyright 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"The moon above was a Christmas moon, so large as almost to fill the empty window. It seemed no wonder that the tides of sea and woman should be subject to the pull of that stately orb, so close and so commanding.

But my own tides moved no longer to that chaste and sterile summons, and the knowledge of my freedom raced like danger through my blood.

'I have a gift for you too,' I said suddenly to Jamie. He turned toward me and his hand slid, large and sure, over the plane of my still-flat stomach.

'Have you, now?' he said."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, December 19, 2015 -- MaryC in KY, 18:46:07 12/18/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two "Characters", section “I Get Letters…”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

[A list of Really Unique items that have been sent to Diana Gabaldon by readers]

… and last but not least—personal horoscopes and interpretations for Claire and Jamie.

Now, Jamie’s birth date isn’t given specifically in any of the novels, and while Claire’s birthday is given, she doesn’t know her own time of birth (footnote: Fortunately, I do.). Kathy Pigou, the reader who did the horoscopes, originally E-mailed me a year or so ago, saying that she was simply curious, and if I would supply her with the necessary data regarding birth dates, times, and places, she would very much like to cast a horoscope for Jamie Fraser, simply for her own interest—though she would be happy to send me a copy.

Finding this fascinating, I did send the data—and was intrigued (more than slightly) by the resulting reading. At my request, Kathy very kindly cast a horoscope and did a reading for Claire as well.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, December 18, 2015 -- MaryC in KY, 20:13:47 12/17/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Seven “Where Titles Come From And Other Matters of General Interest”, section “Outlander vs. Cross Stitch”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

I have—for contractual and reference purposes—been calling the sixth (and final) book of the series King, Farewell. That title comes from a very moving Jacobite song, in which the singer bids farewell to the Stuart dynasty (and, by implication, all that went with it, like the Highland clans themselves). However, no one seems able to remember it, which is always a Bad Sign. People keep asking me when Farewell to the King (or worse, Farewell to Arms) will be released. Now, I do get the occasional letter praising my excellent novel Butterfly in Amber, or asking when Drums of August will be out in some foreign edition, but it’s nothing like the confusion over King, Farewell.

I must therefore assume a) that King, Farewell is probably more memorable if set to music, but book publishing technology has not advanced that far yet, and b) the title of the sixth book should preferably be one word, to reduce the chances of people mangling it (of course, they call the first book Highlander all the time, and Voyager is commonly refered to as Voyageur [featuring that intrepid French trapper Jamie Frezeliere, and his wife, La Dame Blanche], but still…

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, December 17, 2015 -- MaryC in KY, 19:01:02 12/16/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two "Characters", Section “Names”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

Mother Hildegarde was another who named herself. Having decided upon her profession and avocation, I set out to write her, and found the name “Hildegarde” being insistently shoved under my nose. Nonsense, I said, I don’t think Hildegarde is even a French name. Surely she ought to be Berthe or Matilde or something. But no, it was “Hildegarde” and nothing else.

Fine, I said, already used to argumentative characters. Have it your way, Hildegarde. We can always change it later, if the copy editor tells me it isn’t French.

A year or two later, I found myself in London, in a store called Past Times, which specializes in the reproduction of art and artifacts from…er…past times. They had a rack of musical recordings, compositions dating from the tenth century to the twentieth, performed on period instruments and according to the performance conditions appropriate to the time of the composition. Finding this interesting, I thumbed through the rack, only to find a tape of songs composed by… one Mother Hildegarde.

Hildegarde von Bingen, to be exact (as I recall, my actual exclamation at the time was, “Ha! So it isn’t French!”). A mystic, a composer—and an abbess—from the twelfth century. But Mother Hildegarde, nonetheless.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 16, 2015 -- MaryC in KY, 18:58:45 12/15/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two “Characters”, section “Magic, Medicine, and White Ladies”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

Bouton? Well, I looked down, and there he was. I have several dogs myself; Tippy, the smallest and oldest, always goes to my office with me when I work, and guards me faithfully until I go down to bed at three a.m. He lies on the floor near my feet, straight as a compass needle, pink nose on his paws, and a long, fluffy tail laid out behind him.

So as Mother Hildegarde sat down to play her harpsichord, I looked down, and there was Bouton, stretched out faithfully like a compass needle on the floor at her feet. Given Mother Hildegarde’s occupation, it seemed only natural for her dog to accompany her on her rounds through the Hôpital—it was his own notion to leap up on the patients’ beds and instigate his own form of diagnosis.

Footnote: I was therefore pleased—though not surprised—to read a couple of years ago, of studies being done in which dogs were trained to sniff patients, in order to aid in the detection and diagnosis of certain conditions.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 15, 2015 -- MaryC in KY, 17:45:08 12/14/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Eight "The View From Lallybroch Objects of Vertue, Objects of Use", Section “Lallybroch”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

When I began writing Outlander, I undertook all kinds of things for research, including going to a Highland Games in Mesa, Arizona. I’d never been to a Highland Games before, and found it fascinating; bagpipes up the gazoo: drums, shortbread, and quite a lot of men in kilts. I came away from this event with two important souveniers: a Clan Map of Scotland, which is still on my wall, and which has supplied most of the names for minor characters—as well as the odd geographical reference—for all the books so far—and a silver ring.

This one is 5 mm (3/16”) wide, and has a narrow band of plain silver at top and bottom, with a single band of interlace (aka Celtic knotwork) in between. Owing to its origins, I’ve always thought of it in terms of Outlander and things Scottish.

Consequently, when Jamie decided to give Claire a ring (I had no idea that’s why he’d gone off right after arrival at the Castle), I was faced with the problem of describing it. Being a practical person, as well as a person of sentiment, I looked at my hands—and gave her a cross between my own two rings.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 14, 2015 -- MaryC in KY, 04:09:05 12/14/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two "Characters". Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

Now, Mother Hildegarde and Mr. Willoughby are what I call “onions”; characters who develop slowly through the addition of multiple layers of personality, rather than popping up full-fledged as the “mushrooms” do. Mother Hildegarde was an onion, but her dog, Bouton, was a pure mushroom.

“Is that a dog?” I asked one of the orderlies in amazement, when I first beheld Bouton, passing through L’Hôpital at the heels of his mistress.

He paused in his floor-sweeping to look after the curly, plumed tail, disappearing into the next ward.

“Well,” he said doubtfully. “Mother Hildegarde says he’s a dog. I wouldn’t like to be the one to say he isn’t.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, December 13, 2015 -- MaryC in KY, 21:04:59 12/12/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two "Characters". Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Onions

Other characters were conceived before I wrote them, and were consciously intended to serve some specific purpose in the story. However, once I began to write them, they obligingly came to life and started acting on their own. Mother Hildegarde in Dragonfly in Amber was one such “built” character—I needed someone who could decode a musical cipher, and I needed a hospital for Claire to work in. Fine, I though, let’s have the abbess of a convent hospital, and give her a musical avocation, thus saving my having to make up an additional character. The moment I began to write Mother Hildegarde, though, I could see her (“a face of an ugliness so transcendent as to be grotesquely beautiful”), and within a couple of paragraphs I could hear her talk.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 12, 2015 The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 47 Timor Mortis Conturbat Me. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 22:39:59 12/11/15 Fri

”Jamie,” I said.
    My voice was hoarse with sleep and swalloved tears.

”Jamie. I want you to mark me."

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, December 11, 2015 The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 39, MacRannoch. Copyright ©1991 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:40:09 12/10/15 Thu

”what was it Sir M arcus cut from your breast?” I asked.
    “A brand?” I said softly, as he gave me no reply.
    The bright head moved slightly in affirmation.

A signet, with his initials.” Jamie laughed shortly.
    “It’s enough I’ll carry his marks for the rest of my life,
    without letting him sign me, like a bloody painting.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day, December 10, 2015 The following quote is taken from Drums Of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 61, The Office of a Priest. Copyright ©1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:37:22 12/09/15 Wed

The hair had been plucked from the sides of his skull;
    what was left stood up in a thick crest from his scalp,
    a long tail hanging down his back.
    One ear had been freshly pierced and sported a silver earring.

His face had been tattooed.

Double crescent lines of small dark spots,
    most still scabbed with fresh blood ran across each cheekbone,
    to meet at the bridge of the nose.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 9, 2015 The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 47, Loose Ends. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:13:02 12/08/15 Tue

”Then let amorous kisses dwell
                     On our lips, begin and tell
                     A Thousand and a Hundred score
                     A Hundred, and a Thousand more.”

When she had finished, she stood still a moment, then slowly turned to face him again.
    Her cheeks were flushed and wet, and her lashes clumped together, but she was superficially calm.

A hundred, and a thousand more,” she said, with a feeble attempt a smile.
    “But no makers’ mark. So that isn’t proof, either.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 8th, 2015. The following quote is taken from Lord John and the Hand of Devils, novella titled Lord John and the Haunted Soldier, Part III, The Hero’s Return by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright ©2007 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:49:29 12/07/15 Mon
    He stopped, and touched the metal splinter with his left hand.
    Then wrote, You are true north.

Believe me ever your servant, sir,
                                       John Grey

He sanded the letter and shook it gently dry, folded it, and taking the candlestick,
    dripped the wax upon the edge and pressed his ring into the warm soft wax to seal it.
    The smiling crescent moon of his signet was sharp cut, clear in the candlelight.
    He set down the candlestick and after weighing the letter in his hand for a moment,
    reached out and touched the end of it to the flame.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 7, 2015 The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1, Muster in the Roll. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 20:25:19 12/06/15 Sun
    He moved toward one of the tables and picked up a small china dish.
    It was filled with small metal rectangles;
    lead “gaberlunzies,”
    badges issued to eighteenth-century beggars by parishes as a sort of license.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day, December , 2015 The following quote is taken from Drums Of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 16, The First Law of Thermodynamics. Copyright ©1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 23:52:03 12/05/15 Sat
         ”Fréserière, eh? Mr Strawberry? He grew them, did he, or was he only fond of eating them?”
         ”Either or both,” he said dryly, “or it was maybe only that he was a redhead, aye?”
         I laughed, and he hunkered beside me, unpinning his plaid.
         ”It’s a rare plant,” he said, touching the sprig in my open hand.
    “Flowers, fruit and leaves all together at the same time.
    The white flowers are for honor, and red fruit for courage−and the green leaves are for constancy.”

It’s our 98th Independence Day and our symbols are the blue white crossed flag and a Lion coat of arms.
    The flag colours represent the blue clear sky, sea and lakes and the white snow and the cross symbols the Christianity and links us to other Northern countries.

The Lion, a sword raised up and trampling on a curved sabre links us to Western Europe.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, December 5, 2015 Quote taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 46, Timor Mortis Conturbat Me. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 05:18:38 12/05/15 Sat

"Aye, you're thin enough; but scrawny as ye are, your breasts are full - and the nipples of them gone the color of Champagne grapes, You forget," he said, "I've seen ye so before. I have not doubt - and neither have you."

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, December 4, 2015 Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 16, One Fine Day. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 03:55:52 12/04/15 Fri
    "Golden eyes; I've seen a pair like that one before--on a leopard." He shook his head. "nay lass. Ye could be French, but you're not."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, December 3, 2015 Quote taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 35, House of Joy. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 04:21:20 12/03/15 Thu

'Your breast is like ivory," he said softly, the word almost "breest" in the Highland Scots that always grew broad when he was truly moved. His hand rose to cup one breast, his fingers tanned into darkness against my own pale glow.

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of January 17 - CarolSR
    Week of January 24 - Swarl
    Week of January 31 - CarolSR
    Week of February 7 - kgp
    Week of February 14 - LisaW
    Week of February 21 -
    Week of February 28 -

web counter
    web counter
    [ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.