VoyForums

Saturday, January 31, 08:07:02pmVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

The book discussions are NOW INCLUDING MOBY!
If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• happiapple - can you please contact me -- Judie, 09:40:25 01/31/15 Sat
    I have you down for quoting on the week of February 22 but I can't find an e-mail or anything where you contacted me and I just want to make sure I got that right. :D

You can just reply here if you like. Thanks.

Judie

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

• QOTD for Saturday, January 31, 2015 -- kgp, 17:14:48 01/30/15 Fri
    The following quotation is from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 140. Woman, Wilt Thou Lie With Me?

“D’ye no mean to eat that?” he inquired, coming up beside her stirrup.

“I do,” she said calmly, “but all in good time.” She licked the substantial length of the warty green thing with a long, slow swipe of her tongue and then – holding his eyes – sucked deliberately on the end of it. He walked straight into a springy pine branch, which swiped him across the face with its needles.

He swore, rubbing his watering eyes. She was laughing!

“Ye did that on purpose, Rachel Murray!”

“Is thee accusing me of propelling thee into a tree?” she inquired, arching one brow. “Thee is an experienced Indian scout, or so I was led to believe. Surely one of those should look where he’s going.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 30, 2015 -- kgp, 18:09:38 01/29/15 Thu
    The following quotation is from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 57. Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

“Thy life’s journey lies along its own path, Ian,” she said, “and I cannot share thy journey – but I can walk beside thee. And I will.”

The woman standing behind them in the line heaved a deep, contented sigh.

“Now, that’s a very pretty and right thing to say, sweetheart,” she said to Rachel, in approving tones. And, switching her gaze to Ian, looked him skeptically up and down. He was dressed in buckskins, clout, and calico shirt, and, bar the feathers in his hair and the tattoos, didn’t look too outlandish, he thought.

“You probably don’t deserve her,” the woman said, shaking her head doubtfully. “But try, there’s a good lad.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 29, 2015 -- kgp, 02:46:35 01/29/15 Thu
    The following quotation is from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 90. It’s a Wise Child Who Knows His Father

“I maybe dinna ken ye that well, but Rachel does.”

That was undeniably true and gave William an oddly mixed sense of shame, pride, and anger. Rachel and her brother did know him well; they’d save his life and nursed him back to health, had traveled with him for weeks and shared both food and danger.

“She says ye’re a good man.”

William’s heart squeezed a little.

“I’m obliged for her good opinion,” he said. The water hadn’t helped that much; Murray was definitely swaying in the saddle, his eyes half closed.

“If you die,” William said loudly, ”I’ll marry her.”

That worked; Murray’s eyelids lifted at once. He smiled, very slightly.

“Ken that,” he said.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, January 28, 2015 -- kgp, 18:14:14 01/27/15 Tue
    The following quotation is from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 56. Stinking Papist

”It was the only name I had a right to give ye.”

He realized that his knuckles were pressed against his chest, against his gorget – but it wasn’t the gorget’s reassurance that he sought. It was that of the little bumps of the plain wooden rosary that he’d worn around his neck for years, hidden under his shirt where no one would see it. The rosary Mac had given him . . . along with his name.

With a suddenness that shocked him, he felt his eyes swim. You went away. You left me!

“Shit!” he said, and punched his fist so hard into the saddlebag that the horse snorted and shied, and a volt of white-hot pain shot up his arm, obliterating everything.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, January 27, 2015 -- kgp, 16:29:58 01/26/15 Mon
    The following quotation is from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 21 . Bloody Men

“Oh bloody hell,” he said, and he grabbed her arms, pulled her roughly to him, and kissed her. He let go and stepped back quickly, leaving her bug-eyed and gasping.

The dog growled at him. She glared at him, spat on the ground at his feet, then wiped her lips on her sleeve and, turning away, marched off, the dog at her heels casting a red-eyed look at William.

“Is spitting on people a part of your bloody principles?” he shouted after her.

She swung round, fists clenched at her sides.

“Is assaulting women part of thine?” she bellowed back, to the amusement of the infantrymen who had been standing still by the road, leaning on their weapons and gaping at the show provided.

*posting early in case we lose power tonight*

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, January 26, 2015 -- kgp, 17:41:27 01/25/15 Sun
    The following quotation is from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 21 . Bloody Men

“They couldna be marrit in kirk, for the banns couldna be called, and they’d be discovered the moment they came out of hiding to speak to a priest. So they stayed hidden until Ellen – that would be my grannie, aye? – was big wi’ child, and then came out. Her brothers couldna object to the marriage at that point, and so they were wed.” He shrugged. “So I was only wondering: would Friends think a coming child a dire circumstance?”

Rachel stared at him.

“If thee thinks that I will lie with thee without marriage, Ian Murray,” she said, in measured tones, “thee has no notion just how dire thy own circumstances might become.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, January 25, 2015 -- kgp, 04:21:02 01/25/15 Sun
    The following quotation is from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 94. The Sense Of The Meeting

“Mrs. Figg was not disposed to stay out of it. She cleared her throat loudly.

“Now, pardon me for interrupting, but from what I understand, you Friends think a woman’s equal to a man, is that right?”

“It is,” Rachel and Dottie spoke firmly together, and everyone laughed.

Mrs. Figg blushed like a ripe black plum, but kept her composure. “Well, then,” she said. “If these ladies want to marry you gentlemen, why do you think you got any business trying to talk them out of it? Have you maybe got your own reservations about the matter?”

A distinctly feminine murmur of approval came from the congregation, and Denny, who was still standing, seemed struggling for his own composure.

“Does he have a cock?” came a French-accented whisper from behind me and an unhinged giggle from Marsali in response. “You can’t get married without a cock.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, January 24, 2015 -- CindyG, 23:16:53 01/23/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 36, Practical and Applied Witchcraft. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“'A cuckoo,' she said, almost conversationally. 'That’s what ye are, laddie—a great cuckoo in the nest. God knows whose son ye were meant to be; it wasna mine.'

Young Ian flushed hotly, dropping his eyes as the red burned in his cheeks. He pushed the feathery damp hair out of his eyes with the back of one hand.

'I—well, I just …' he began, eyes on his boots, 'I couldna just …'

'Oh, never mind about it now!' his mother snapped. 'Get ye upstairs to your bed; your Da will deal wi’ ye in the morning.'

Ian glanced helplessly at the parlor door, then at me. He shrugged once more, looked at the sodden hat in his hands as though wondering how it had got there, and shuffled slowly down the hall."

Thank you, Ladies, for allowing me to share my love of Young Ian with you this week. If you've enjoyed my quotes, consider signing up for a week, looks like Judie needs you! See the bottom of the page.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 23, 2015 -- CindyG, 20:29:30 01/22/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 32, The Prodigal's Return. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“'It’s usually ten, Uncle.' Young Ian had shed his coat, and tugged at his waist now, speaking over his shoulder. 'Twelve if it’s pretty bad, and fifteen if it’s really awful.'
    'Was this only bad, would ye say, or pretty bad?'
    There was a brief, unwilling laugh from the boy.
    'If Father’s makin’ you do it, Uncle Jamie, it’s really awful, but I’ll settle for pretty bad. Ye’d better give me twelve.'
    There was another snort from Ian at my elbow. This time, it was definitely amusement. 'Honest lad,' he murmured."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 22, 2015 -- CindyG, 07:38:55 01/22/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 32, The Prodigal's Return. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“ ‘"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in,"' I quoted.

Young Ian gave me a wry look. 'Aye, that’s what I’m afraid of, Auntie.'

Jamie, hearing this exchange, glanced back at Young Ian, and blinked solemnly—his own version of an encouraging wink. 'Dinna be downhearted, Ian. Remember the story o’ the Prodigal Son, aye? Your Mam will be glad to see ye safe back.'

Young Ian cast him a glance of profound disillusion. 'If ye expect it’s the fatted calf that’s like to be kilt, Uncle Jamie, ye dinna ken my mother so well as ye think.'"

So sorry! I forgot to post this last night.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, January 21, 2015 -- CindyG, 22:53:55 01/20/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 28, Virtue's Guardian. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“'Almost fifteen!' Young Ian corrected, sitting up and looking interested.
    'Well, that is certainly sufficient,' Fergus said, with a glance at Madame Jeanne for confirmation. 'Your brothers were no older when I first brought them here, and they acquitted themselves honorably.'
    'You what?' Jamie goggled at his protégé.
    'Well, someone had to,' Fergus said, with slight impatience. 'Normally, a boy’s father—but of course, le Monsieur is not—meaning no disrespect to your esteemed father, of course,' he added, with a nod to Young Ian, who nodded back like a mechanical toy, 'but it is a matter for experienced judgment, you understand?'
    'Now'—he turned to Madame Jeanne, with the air of a gourmand consulting the wine steward—'Dorcas, do you think, or Penelope?'
    'No, no,' she said, shaking her head decidedly, 'it should be the second Mary, absolutely. The small one.'
    'Oh, with the yellow hair? Yes, I think you are right,' Fergus said approvingly. 'Fetch her, then.'
    Jeanne was off before Jamie could manage more than a strangled croak in protest. 'But—but—the lad canna—' he began.
    'Yes, I can,' Young Ian said. 'At least, I think I can.' It wasn’t possible for his face to grow any redder, but his ears were crimson with excitement, the traumatic events of the day completely forgotten.
    'But it’s—that is to say—I canna be letting ye—' Jamie broke off and stood glaring at his nephew for a long moment. Finally, he threw his hands up in the air in exasperated defeat. 'And what am I to say to your mother?' he demanded, as the door opened behind him.
    Framed in the door stood a very short young girl, plump and soft as a partridge in her blue silk chemise, her round sweet face beaming beneath a loose cloud of yellow hair. At the sight of her, Young Ian froze, scarcely breathing.
    When at last he must draw breath or die, he drew it, and turned to Jamie. With a smile of surpassing sweetness, he said, 'Well, Uncle Jamie, if I were you'—his voice soared up in a sudden alarming soprano, and he stopped, clearing his throat before resuming in a respectable baritone—'I wouldna tell her. Good night to ye, Auntie,' he said, and walked purposefully forward."

I know this is a little long, but I hope you will all forgive me such a tantalizing Wednesday quote! The first time is always special, right?

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, January 20, 2015 -- CindyG, 20:59:39 01/19/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 27, Up in Flames. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"Young Ian, though, was the focus of attention, as multiple heads came popping out of the drawing room in response to the noise Bruno was making. With his singed hair, swollen red face, beaky nose, and lashless, blinking eyes, he strongly resembled the fledgling young of some exotic bird species—a newly hatched flamingo, perhaps. His face could scarcely grow redder, but the back of his neck flamed crimson, as the sound of feminine giggles followed us up the stairs.

Safely ensconced in the small upstairs sitting room, with the door closed, Ian turned to face his hapless offspring.

'Going to live, are ye, ye wee bugger?' he demanded.

'Aye, sir,' Young Ian replied in a dismal croak, looking rather as though he wished the answer were “No.”

'Good,' his father said grimly. 'D’ye want to explain yourself, or shall I just belt hell out of ye now and save us both time?'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, January 19, 2015 -- CindyG, 21:26:49 01/18/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 26, Whore's Brunch. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"The door opened very slowly, and after quite a long pause, a head poked its way through the opening, much in the manner of a snail emerging from its shell after a hailstorm.

It was topped with an ill-cut shag of dark brown hair so thick that the cropped edges stuck out like a shelf above a pair of large ears. The face beneath was long and bony; rather pleasantly homely, save for a pair of beautiful brown eyes, soft and huge as a deer’s, that rested on me with a mingled expression of interest and hesitancy.

The head and I regarded each other for a moment.

'Are you Mr. Malcolm’s … woman?' it asked.

'I suppose you could say so,' I replied cautiously. This was obviously not the chambermaid with my breakfast. Neither was it likely to be one of the other employees of the establishment, being evidently male, though very young. He seemed vaguely familiar, though I was sure I hadn’t seen him before. I pulled the sheet a bit higher over my breasts. 'And who are you?' I inquired.

The head thought this over for some time, and finally answered, with equal caution, 'Ian Murray.'"

I just loved how Claire refers to him as "the head" until Ian tells her who he is.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, January 18, 2015 -- CindyG, 21:10:19 01/17/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 5, To Us A Child is Given. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"'D’ye want to see him?'
    'Oh, a him, is it?' With hands experienced by years of unclehood, he lifted the tiny package and cuddled it against himself, pushing back the flap of blanket that shaded its face.
    Its eyes were closed tight shut, the lashes not visible in the deep crease of the eyelids. The eyelids themselves lay at a sharp angle above the flushed smooth rounds of the cheeks, giving promise that it might—in this one recognizable feature, at least—resemble its mother.
    The head was oddly lumpy, with a lopsided appearance that made Jamie think uncomfortably of a kicked-in melon, but the small fat mouth was relaxed and peaceful, the moist pink underlip quivering faintly with the snore attendant on the exhaustion of being born.
    'Hard work, was it?' he said, speaking to the child, but it was the mother who answered him.
    'Aye, it was,' Jenny said. 'There’s whisky in the armoire—will ye fetch me a glass?'"

And so we meet young Ian!

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, January 17, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 17:01:35 01/16/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 35, TICONDEROGA, Copyright © 2009 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Oh, just part of the general decline.” I said, trying to make a joke of it. I flexed my right arm, gingerly, feeling a twinge in the elbow. “Things don’t bend quite so easily as they used to. And other things hurt. Sometimes I think I’m falling apart.”

Jamie closed one eye and regarded me.

“I’ve felt like that since I was about twenty,” he observed. “Ye get used to it.” He stretched, making his spine give off a series of muffled pops, and held out a hand. “Come to bed, a nighean. Nothing hurts when ye love me.

He was right, nothing did.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, January 16, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 16:41:20 01/15/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 98, To Keep A Ghost At Bay , Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“He loves you. Ye ken that, aye?” He spoke very quietly; I heard the reverberation of the words in his chest, as much as the words themselves.

“He said he did.” I felt a tightness in the throat, recalling that very direct gray look. Tom Christie was a man who said what he meant, and meant what he said---a man like Jamie, in that regard at least.

Jamie was quiet for what seemed a long time. Then he sighed, and turned his head so his cheek rested against my hair; I heard the faint rasp of his whiskers.

“Sassenach---I would have done the same, and counted my life well lost, if it saved ye. If he feels the same, then ye’ve done nay wrong to him, to take your life from his hand.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 15, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 17:38:15 01/14/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 111, And Yet Go Out To Meet It, Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

Jamie’s hand still lay on mine. It tightened a little, and I glanced at him, but his eyes were still fixed somewhere past the dooryard; past the mountains, and the distant clouds. His grip tightened further, and I felt the edges of my ring press into my flesh.

“When the day shall come, that we do part, he said softly, and turned to look at me, “if my last words are not, ‘I love you’---ye’ll ken it was because I didna have time.”

Hands down my favorite quote from this book.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, January 14, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 17:51:27 01/13/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 21, Night on a Snowy Mountain, Copyright © 1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Really?” That was a little startling; I too had dreamt of Brianna in our icy shelter---something I seldom did.

“I did wonder . . .” Jamie hesitated for a moment. “Has she a birthmark, Sassenach? And, if so, did ye tell me of it?”

“She does,” I said slowly, thinking. “I don’t think I ever told you about it, though; it isn’t visible most of the time, so it’s been years since I noticed it myself. It’s a ---“

His hand tightening on my shoulder stopped me.

“It’s a wee brown mark, shaped like a diamond,” he said. “Just behind her left ear. Isn’t it?”

“Yes, it is.” It was warm and cozy in bed, but a small coolness on the back of my neck made me shiver suddenly. “Did you see that in your dream?”

“I kissed her there,” he said softly.

Obviously not the usual type of Wednesday quote but it is one of my favorites from the fourth book in the series.

Replies:

• Thank you, quoters! -- Judie, 07:14:52 01/13/15 Tue
    You keep the joint going!

Please feel free to take another week. :D

• QOTD for Tuesday, January 13, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 17:10:33 01/12/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 24, A. Malcolm, Printer, Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

He splayed a hand out over the photographs, trembling fingers not quite touching the shiny surfaces, and then he turned and leaned toward me, slowly, with the improbable grace of a tall tree falling. He buried his face in my shoulder and went very quietly and thoroughly to pieces.

I held him to my breast, arms tight around the broad, shaking shoulders, and my own tears fell on his hair, making small dark patches in the ruddy waves. I pressed my cheek against the top of his head, and murmured small incoherent things to him as though he were Brianna. I thought to myself that perhaps it was like surgery---even when an operation is done to repair existing damage, the healing is still painful.

“Her name?” He raised his face at last, wiping his nose on the back of his hand. He picked up the pictures again, gently, as though they might disintegrate at his touch. “What did ye name her?”

“Brianna,” I said proudly.

“Brianna?” he said, frowning at the pictures. “What an awful name for a wee lassie!”

Speaking of wee. This went a wee bit long and I am afraid that Judie will dock my pay! LOL!

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, January 12, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 17:01:31 01/11/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 29, To Grasp The Nettle, Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“That was the entrance, once,” he said. “The rocks fell once before, and sealed this place.” He turned back and rested a hand on the rocky outcrop that shielded the lovers from the light.

“They must have felt their way around the cave, hand in hand,” I said. “Looking for a way out, in the dust and the dark.”

“Aye.” He rested his forehead against the stone, eyes closed. “And the light was gone, and the air failed them. And so they lay down in the dark to die.” The tears made wet tracks through the dust on his cheeks. I brushed a hand beneath my own eyes, and took his free hand, carefully weaving my fingers with his.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, January 11, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 18:48:14 01/10/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 17, We Meet A Beggar, Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Ah, that’s it,” he said finally, in the satisfied tones of a man who has solved a difficult puzzle. “Now I know what ye mind me of, lad.” He turned to me.

“Ever seen a red stag near the end of the rutting season, lass?” he said confidentially. “The poor beasts dinna sleep nor eat for several weeks, because they canna spare the time, between fightin’ off the other stags and serving the does. By the end o’ the season, they’re naught but skin and bones. Their eyes are deep-sunk in their heads, and the only part o’ them that doesna shake wi’ palsy is their-----“

The last of this was lost in a chorus of laughter as Jamie pulled me up the stairs. We did not come down to supper.

No special theme this week. Just one quote from each of the first seven books.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, January 10, 2015 -- Rita, 20:53:06 01/09/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Chapter 91: "Keeping Score". Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Jamie saw the Greys out of the house and came back with an air of grim satisfaction. I would have laughed if it hadn’t hurt to do it, but settled for smiling at him.
    Your son, your nephew, your wife,” I said. “Fraser, three; Grey, nil.”
    He gave me a startled look, but then his face truly relaxed for the first time in days. “You’re feeling better, then,” he said, and, coming across the room, bent and kissed me. “Talk daft to me some more, aye?”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, January 9, 2015 -- Rita, 20:09:05 01/08/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Chapter 88: "A Whiff of Roquefort". Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“If that’s the case,” I said, “then presumably he’ll come back, once he’s either found them or given up looking for them. Wouldn’t he? Would he go AWOL over them—er … absent without leave, I mean?”
    “He wouldn’t have to risk that,” Hal said. “He’s been relieved of duty.”
    “What?” John exclaimed, rounding on his brother. “What the devil for?”
    Hal sighed, exasperated. “Leaving camp when he was ordered to stay there in the middle of a battle, what else? Getting into a fight with another officer, ending up at the bottom of a ravine with a dent in his skull through being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and in general being a bloody nuisance.”
    “You’re right, he is your son,” I said to Jamie, amused. He snorted, but didn’t look altogether displeased.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, January 8, 2015 -- Rita, 02:50:38 01/08/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Chapter 88: "A Whiff of Roquefort". Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“And I do, of course, wish to retrieve my nephew, William—should he in fact be with Richardson. My brother informs me that you have doubts as to the probability of this being the case?”
    “I do,” Jamie said shortly. “My son is not a fool, nor a weakling.” I caught the faint emphasis on “my son,” and so did both Greys, who stiffened slightly. “He wouldna go off on some feeble pretext, nor would he allow someone of whom he was suspicious to take him captive.”
    “You have a bloody lot of faith in a boy you haven’t seen since he was six,” Hal observed conversationally.
    Jamie smiled, with considerable rue.
    “I had the making of him until he was six,” he said, and turned his gaze on John. “I ken what he’s made of. And I ken who shaped him after that. Tell me I’m wrong, my lord.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, January 7, 2015 -- Rita, 03:38:13 01/07/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27: "Trout Fishing in America". Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. Chapter 45. Fifty-Fifty.

It wasn’t stubbornness, nor even loyalty, that had made Willie insist on staying at the Ridge. It was love of John Grey, and fear of his loss. And it was the same love that made the boy weep in the night, desperate with worry for his father.
    An unaccustomed weed of jealousy sprang up in Jamie’s heart, stinging like nettles. He stamped firmly on it; he was fortunate indeed to know that his son enjoyed a loving relationship with his stepfather. There, that was the weed stamped out. The stamping, though, seemed to have left a small bruised spot on his heart; he could feel it when he breathed.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, January 6, 2015 -- Rita, 17:04:07 01/05/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 39: "The Fog Comes Down". Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Willie clung to him like a leech, trying to burrow into his chest, and he wrapped his arms tight around the boy, too overcome to speak.
    To this point, he could not really have said that he loved William. Feel the terror of responsibility for him, yes. Carry thought of him like a gem in his pocket, certainly, reaching now and then to touch it, marveling. But now he felt the perfection of the tiny bones of William’s spine through his clothes, smooth as marbles under his fingers, smelled the scent of him, rich with the incense of innocence and the faint tang of shit and clean linen. And thought his heart would break with love.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, January 5, 2015 -- Rita, 18:02:25 01/04/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 5. Why Am Not I at Peace? Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He was prey to the most extraordinary array of emotions. For the most part, he succeeded in keeping his thoughts of William strictly confined, though he thought of him every day. He seldom saw the child, and when he did, it was only as a glimpse of a woolly bundle in the arms of Nanny Elspeth or Peggy, the nursemaid, taking the air on one of the balconies. He had accustomed himself to thinking of William as a sort of small, glowing light in his mind, something like the flame of a wax candle lit before a saint’s statue in a dark chapel. He couldn’t afford such a candle, and wouldn’t be allowed into the Helwater chapel, but liked to imagine himself lighting one when he said his prayers at night. He would watch the flame catch and swell, wavering a bit and then growing tall and still. He would go to sleep then and feel it burn, a peaceful watch fire in his heart.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, January 4, 2015 -- Rita, 21:18:18 01/03/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 113 "Thanks for All the Fish". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“You can buy another when we reach Wilmington,” I said practically, returning his favor by unbuttoning his breeks. They slid off his lean hips and fell, puddling round his feet. “It would be lovely for William to know the truth about Bree and her family sometime. Will you tell him?”
    “In the event that he ever comes within speakin’ distance of me without trying to kill me?” One corner of his mouth curled ruefully. “Aye, maybe. But I maybe wouldn’t tell him all the truth.”
    “Well, perhaps not all at once, no,” I agreed. A warm breeze from the window stirred his hair and the tails of his shirt. I fingered the creased linen, warm and damp from his body. “Why don’t you take that off?”
    He looked me over carefully; I was standing now in nothing but my shift and stockings. A slow smile spread into his eyes.
    “Fair’s fair,” he said. “Take yours off, as well, then.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, January 3, 2015 The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 5 “Why Am Not I at Peace”. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 23:55:51 01/02/15 Fri

"Does it taste well?" He asked casually.
    The question of taste appeared not to have occurred to Willie,
    who looked startled and frowned at the nail, as though wondering where it had come from.
         "Es," he said, but uncertainly.
         "Give me a taste, then." He leaned toward the child, putting out his tongue,
    and Willie blinked once, then obligingly reached the nail up.
    Jamie folded his hand very gently around Willie's fist and drew his tongue delicately up the length of the nail.

It tasted, naturally enough, of iron and horse hoof, but he had to admit that it wasn't a bad taste at all.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 2, 2015 The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 11 “Vulgar Curiosity”. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 02:37:26 01/02/15 Fri

"He is Scotch and a Highlander, to boot."

"Meaning what?" She was interested; one brow arched upward. "Is he such a savage as people say Highlanders are?
    Because if so, he apes the gentleman to an amazing degree."

"James Fraser apes nothing," he assured her, feeling an obscure sense of offense on Fraser's behalf.
    He is—or was—a landed gentleman, and one of breeding, with substantial property and tenants.
    What I meant is that he has . . . " He hesitated, not quite sure how to put it into words.
    ". . . a sense of himself that is quite separate from what society demands. He is inclined to make his own rules."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, January 1, 2015 The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 31 “Betrayal”. copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 01:05:55 01/01/15 Thu
    "He can—and will, I'm afraid—use you to accomplish his ends regarding Siverly,
    but those ends do not include either kidnapping or murder, and he intends you no harm.

In fact—"he hesitated for a moment, but then firmed his jaw and went on,
    eyes fixed on the hands that hung between his knees— "should this venture end in success,
    I think I can promise you that you will . . . benefit from it."

Not exactly a New Year's quote, this is about Jamie ending up in serving someone else's interests. Dougal used him and, in a way, Claire telling about the ens of the Jacobite Cause turned him to work against it, which wouldn't have happened. I'm just waiting for him to finally focus on his own life at the ridge

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 31, 2014. The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1 “April Fool”. -- Helka, 23:23:17 12/30/14 Tue
    Claire was still with him, vivid in his mind, solid in his hands.

He could imagine that he smelled her hair in the scent of fresh hay.
    The memory of her mouth, those sharp white teeth. . .
    He rubbed his nipple, hard and itching beneath his shirt, and swallowed.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 30, 2014. The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 7 “When a Man is Tired of London, He Is Tired of Life”. -- Helka, 08:13:53 12/30/14 Tue
    He'd imagined it, of course, but God only knew what the reality was. It was big, though;it had to be big. So he'd be prepared.

Aye, prepared for a prison? he thought.

The idea of it, of cold stone and small spaces, endless days, months,
    and years in a cage as life and body dwindled inexorably away, shriveled his heart.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 29, 2014 The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 8 “Debts of Honor”. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 00:20:57 12/29/14 Mon

The soft blush had gone from her cheeks. She was pale, and her gentle lips were pressed in a grim line.

"For the sake of the cause we once shared", she said very quietly , "I pray you, say nothing. Not yet"

Replies:

• Quoters Needed! -- Judie, 10:26:57 12/28/14 Sun
    I think there are probably 800 pages of quotes in MOBY that folks could use. :D

Anyone interested? Many weeks available!

Click on "Contact Forum Admin" link above and send me an e-mail with the weeks you can or cannot do and I'll get back to you. Be sure to include your e-mail address.

Thanks!

• QOTD for Sunday, December 28, 2014 The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 31 “Betrayal”. copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- Helka, 00:15:05 12/28/14 Sun

"Here, Your Grace" said a deep, cold voice, and James Fraser emerged from the library, Edmund Burke's
    A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful in his hand.

"Did you wish to speak with me?"

Grey had a moment's relief that Fraser had finished the collected disputations of Marcus Tullius Cicero;
    Burke would make much less of a dent in Hal's skull
    if it came to blows—which looked likely at the moment.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, December 27, 2014 -- kgp, 06:29:36 12/27/14 Sat
    The following quotation is from Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2007. All Rights Reserved. Chapter17. In Which a Marriage Takes Place, among Other Things.

“Grey had located a leg under the silk, straining with effort. Its fellow had to be there somewh- there. He gripped Olivia’s knees in what he hoped was a reassuring fashion, trying not to look at what might be happening between them.

Suddenly Olivia slid down, pressing against Percy so hard that Grey heard his grunt above the music. Percy gripped her by the shoulders, bracing her disheveled head against his chest. Grey felt a sort of subterranean shudder go through her body, rather like the waves of sound that beat on them, and looked down involuntarily.

There was a crash nearby as the outer doors were flung open, and to the clash of swords and the cheers of soldiers, a long purple object slithered out into Grey’s hands, accompanied by a gush of fluids that did his cream silk breeches no good at all."

Last edited by author: Sat December 27, 2014 08:14:02   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, December 26th, 2014 -- kgp, 04:29:39 12/26/14 Fri
    The following quotation is from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2001. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 18. No Place Like Home.

“He smiled, rubbing the sponge absently over his chest as his eyes traveled over me. His nipples puckered at the chill, dark and stiff among the ruddy, curling hairs, and the damp gleamed on his skin.

“I like ye fat, Sassenach,” he said softly, “Fat and juicy as a plump wee hen. I like it fine.”

I might have considered this a simple attempt to remove his foot from his mouth, were it not for the fact that naked men are conveniently equipped with sexual lie detectors. He did like it fine.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, December 25th, 2014 -- kgp, 18:06:59 12/24/14 Wed
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 115. Nosepicker

“A difference of opinion,” I repeated.

“Aye, they thought they’d throw us in the harbor, and we thought they wouldn’t.” He slung a chair round with his boot and sat down on in backward, arms crossed on its back. He looked indecently cheerful, face flushed with sun and laughter.

“I don’t want to know,” I said, though of course I did. I glanced at Ian, who was still sniggering quietly to himself, and observed that while he was slightly less battered than Jamie, he had one forefinger lodged in his nose up to the knuckle.

“Have you got a bloody nose, Ian?”

He shook his head, still giggling. “No, Auntie. Some o’ the Society do, though.”

“Well, why have you got your finger up your nose, then? Have you picked up a tick or something?”

“No, he’s keepin’ his brains from falling out,” Jamie said, and went off into another fit.

** Not all of us are celebrating Christmas and some of us who are might rather not at present. But all of us could use a laugh. I hope that whatever your day brings, your brains won't fall out of your nose.**

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, December 24, 2014 -- kgp, 03:07:48 12/24/14 Wed
    The following quotation is from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright . All Rights Reserved. Chapter 24. By The Pricking Of My Thumbs.

“Mmm,” agreed Rupert, his mouth full. Swallowing, he added, “Had a wee bit of a taste for young Jamie here, last time he visited these parts, if I remember rightly. That was when, Dougal? Thirty-eight? Thirty-nine?”

“Thirty-seven,” Dougal answered from the next table. He narrowed his eyes at his nephew. “Ye were rather a pretty lad at sixteen, Jamie.”

Jamie nodded, chewing. “Aye. Fast, too.”

Replies:

• the Space between -- Rowena, 23:20:51 12/22/14 Mon
    hi I dont know if this is the right forum to discuss this ...
    but i just finished The Space Between, bout Michael and Joan. And (Spoiler Warning) just thought that since the comte st germain can travel, does that mean fergus can too?

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, December 23, 2014 -- kgp, 19:09:35 12/22/14 Mon
    The following quotation is from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1997. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 45. Fifty-Fifty.

“You think people plan it? Good God, how many times did I come to that school of yours and give talks about - ”

“All the time! Every year! My mother the sex encyclopedia! Do you have any idea how mortifying it is to have your own mother standing up in front of everybody, drawing pictures of penises?

Her face went the color of the scarlet maples, flushed with the memory.

“I must not have done it all that well,” I said tartly, “since you seem not to have recognized one when you saw it.”

Her face jerked toward me, blood in her eye, but then relaxed when she saw that I was joking – or trying to.

“Right,” she said. “Well, they look different in 3-D.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, December 22, 2014 -- kgp, 16:18:57 12/21/14 Sun
    Posting early - I'm knackered and will be asleep soon.

The following quotation is from Written In my Own Heart’s Blood by Diane Gabaldon, Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 69 – Sparrow Fart

“Jesus, if he thinks he’s a chance in hell of preventing Dorothea from marrying Dr. Hunter . . . I believe I’d pay good money to overhear the conversation when he meets Denzell,” he remarked. “Who would you bet on – given that Hal hasn’t got a regiment at his back to enforce his opinions?”

“He likely has met him by now. As to odds – Denzell, three to two,” I said, after a moment’s consideration. “He’s got not only God but love – and Dorothea – on his side, and I do think that will outweigh even Hal’s brand of . . . of . . . autocratic conviction?”

“I’d call it undiluted bastardliness, myself, but, then, I’m his brother. I’m allowed liberties.”

I chuckled at the chapter title as well. 

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, December 21. 2014 -- kgp, 04:09:05 12/21/14 Sun
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 19. Ae fond Kiss.

“He was beginning to look a little less shocked, his normal irritation at my lack of womanly decorum drawing his face back into its usual stern lines.

“Don’t be facetious. I was told that ye were dead,” he said, accusingly. “You and your entire family were burnt up in a fire.”

Phaedre, delivering the drinks, glanced at me, eyebrows raised.

“She ain’t looking too crispy round the edges, sir, if you pardon my mention of it.”

**No theme this week, just things that made me laugh**

Last edited by author: Sun December 21, 2014 07:29:57   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Saturday, December 20, 2014 - - Swarl -- swarl, 18:12:53 12/19/14 Fri
    Having found out for himself what Jamie is made of, Willie finally dares to confront him with his anger.

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 136, "Unfinished Business". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Are you sorry?" he said, and made no effort to keep his voice from shaking. "Are you sorry for it, damn you?"
    Fraser had turned away; now he turned sharply to face William but didn't speak at once. When he did, his voice was low and firm.
    "She died because of it, and I shall sorrow for her death and do penance for my part in it until my own dying day. But —" He compressed his lips for an instant, and then, too fast for William to back away, came round the table and, raising his hand, cupped William's cheek, the touch light and fierce,
    "No," he whispered. "No! I am not sorry." The he whirled on his heel, threw open the door, and was gone, kilt flying."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, December 19, 2014 - - Swarl -- swarl, 04:50:12 12/19/14 Fri
    William brings Fanny to Jamie’s rooms.

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 134 "Last Rites". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"William looked as though someone had hit him on the head, stunning him like an ox bound for slaughter. I looked uncertainly at Jamie, not knowing what to do for either of them. He glanced from one to the other, then rose and quietly took the girl into his arms.
    "There, a nighean,” he said quietly, patting her back. His eyes met Willie's and I saw something pass between them - a question asked and answered. Jamie nodded. "I'll care for her," he said.
    "Thank you. She . . .Jane," William said with difficulty. "I want to - to bury her. Decently. But I think I can't . . . . claim her."
    "Aye," Jamie said. "We'll see to it. Go and do whatever ye need to do. Come back when ye can."

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of January 25 - kgp
    Week of February 1 - LisaW
    Week of February 8 - Rita FW
    Week of February 15 - swarl
    Week of February 22 - happieapple
    Week of March 1 - Lady Linda
    Week of March 8 -
    Week of March 15 -
    Week of March 22 -
    Week of March 29 -

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.