VoyForums

Tuesday, November 25, 04:16:26pmVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

The book discussions are NOW INCLUDING MOBY!
If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• Fill in QOTD for Tuesday November 25, 2014 -- kgp, 02:56:55 11/25/14 Tue
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, copyright 2005. Chapter 82, Not The End Of The World. All rights reserved

“Ian,” I said, with as much firmness as I could muster, “Malva’s child could not possibly be Jamie’s. You do believe that, don’t you?”

He nodded, very slowly, but wouldn’t meet my eyes.
    “I do,” he said softly, and then swallowed hard. “But, Auntie . . . it could be mine.”

A bee had lighted on my arm. I stared at it, seeing the veins in its glassy wings, the dust of yellow pollen that clung to the miniscule hairs of its legs and abdomen, the gentle pulsing of its body as it breathed.

“Oh, Ian,” I said as softly as he’d spoken himself. “Oh, Ian.”

He was strung tight as a marionette, but when I spoke, a little of the tension left the arm under my hand, and I saw that he had closed his eyes.

“I’m sorry, Auntie,” he whispered.”

Ian just breaks my heart

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Getting us through Monday -- Helka, 05:59:11 11/24/14 Mon
    Quote of the Day for Monday 24th November, 2014
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 55, Wendigo. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Like most eyes, they weren’t one colour at all, but many—the colors of autumn, dark wet earth
    and crackling oak leaves, and the touch of setting sun on dry grass.

The colour was a challenge, but one she could meet.
    The expression, though—it changed in an instant from
    something so guillelessly amiable as to seem almost half-witted
    to something you wouldn’t want to meet in a dark alley.

Replies:

• Just to hold us for a bit -- kgp, 09:51:36 11/23/14 Sun
    The following quotation is from A Breath Of Snow And Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 6: Ambush

“Did Auntie Claire tell ye about – about a war? One coming, I mean. With England.”

There was a moment’s silence, his uncle’s big form gone still against the light from the door.

“She has,” he said, and took away his hand. “Did she tell you?”

“No, Cousin Brianna did.” He lay down on his side, careful of his tender head. “D’ye believe them?”

There was no hesitation this time.

“Aye, I do.” It was said with his uncle’s usual dry matter-of-factness, but something in it prickled the hairs on the back of Ian’s neck.

“Oh. Well, then.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, November 22, 2014 -- kgp, 20:29:20 11/21/14 Fri
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 30. Lights, Action, Sirens.

“Jem didn’t remember standing up, but he was pressed against the filing cabinet, squeezing the can so hard that the bubbly Coke blurped out and foamed over his fingers.

“You come with me, boy,” said the man who’d hit Mr. MacLeod. He was holding what Jem thought must be a cosh, though he’d never seen one. He couldn’t move, even if he’d wanted to.

The man made an impatient noise, stepped over Mr. MacLeod like he was a bag of rubbish, and grabbed Jem by the hand. Out of sheer terror, Jem bit him, hard. The man yelped and let go, and Jem threw the can of Coke right at his face, and when the man ducked, he tore past him and out of the office and down the long hallway, running for his life.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, November 21, 2014 -- kgp, 03:01:06 11/21/14 Fri
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 97. A Man To Do A Man’s Job

“You want a Pop-Tart, princess?”

“Yes!” Mandy’s buttery round face lighted up, but Jem glanced at Mam, Mam looked as if she wanted to kick Uncle Joe under the counter for a second, but then glanced down at Mandy and her face fell all soft.

“All right,” she said, and Jem felt a fluttery, excited sort of feeling in his middle. Mam was telling Uncle Joe how far the school was, but Jem wasn’t paying attention. They were going to do it. They were really going to do it!

Because the only reason Mam would let Mandy eat Pop-Tarts without a fuss was because she figured she’s never get to eat another one.

Replies:

• Holy COW! -- Judie, 01:03:00 11/21/14 Fri
    Nobody wants to do quotes the weeks of Christmas and New Year's?!

I thought they'd be going like hotcakes. :D

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, Novemebr 20, 2014 -- kgp, 03:46:36 11/20/14 Thu
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 97. A Man To Do A Man’s Job

“I don’t need looking after!”

“Maybe not,” Joe told him, “but you got about six years, sixty pounds, and another two feet to grow before you can look after your mama. ‘Til you get big enough that nobody can just pick you up and carry you off, she’s got to worry about you.”

Jem looked as if he wanted to argue the point, but he was at the age where logic did sometimes prevail, and happily this was one of those times. He made a small “mmphm” sound in his throat, which startled Bree, and sat back on the ottoman, still frowning.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, November 18, 2014 -- kgp, 19:19:13 11/18/14 Tue
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 109. Frottage

“Fast?” he murmured against her mouth. “Slow?

“Horozontal,” she murmured back, clutching his bottom. “Speed irrelevant.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, November 18, 2014 -- kgp, 17:33:32 11/17/14 Mon
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 31. The Shine of a Rocking Horse’s Eyes

“Will your son be studying the law, then, in Paris?” Roger asked abruptly. He picked up the fresh dram Brian had poured for him and took a sip.

“Aye, well, he’d maybe make a decent lawyer,” Fraser admitted. “He could argue ye into the ground, I’ll say that for him. But I think he hasna got the patience for law or politics.” He smiled suddenly. “Jamie sees at once what he thinks should be done and canna understand why anyone else should think otherwise. And he’d rather pound someone than persuade them, if it comes to that.”

Roger laughed ruefully.

“I understand the urge,” he said.

Last edited by author: Tue November 18, 2014 06:00:41   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, November 17, 2014 -- kgp, 17:56:53 11/16/14 Sun
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 26. A Step Into The Dark.

“Something like an electric shock ran right through him. He gasped and fell over backward. The only thing in his mind was the idea that somebody had hit him with a lightsaber like Luke Skywalker’s, and for a minute he thought maybe whoever it was had cut off his head.

He couldn’t feel his body, but he could see in his mind his body lying bleeding in the dark and his head sitting right there on the train tracks in the dark, and his head couldn’t see his body or even know it wasn’t attached anymore. He made a breathless kind of noise that was trying to be a scream, but it made his stomach move and he felt that, he felt it, and suddenly he felt a lot more like praying.”

Replies:

• QOTD for November 16, 2014 -- kgp, 04:27:22 11/16/14 Sun
    The following quotation is taken from Written In My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014 All Rights reserved. Chapter 26. A Step Into The Dark.

Going back to the stairs, she gave Mandy the bat to hold and smiled at her. She pushed a strand of sweaty hair behind her ear.

“Okay. We’re going to put Mr. Rob in the priest’s hole. You go and open the door for Mummy, all right?”

“I hit him?” Mandy asked hopefully, clutching the bat.

“No, I don’t think you need to do that, darling. Just open the door.”

Replies:

• Oh how I love my Lally family! -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 17:22:12 11/15/14 Sat
    First of all, VAL!!! Thanks you so much, my sweet friend, for jumping in mid-week and finishing out the week. I owe you BIG TIME!
    I must apologize to Everyone for melting into the shrubbery and disappearing like the Cheshire Cat. I just feel terribly embarrassed to drop the ball that way. I did indeed get hit fairly quickly with illness but the worst part is that I had a HUGE reaction to one of the antibiotics I was prescribed. It affected every part of my being. I can't even begin to describe the whole nightmare. I shake, I burn up, I feel like I'm dying, my eyesight is squiggly and swirly, I'm so dizzy I can hardly stand. And it gets worse. It is my own private hell. This has happened before and each time it happens it gets worse. And it lasts days after I stop taking the medication. I am, today, back to almost normal. I still have some of the dizziness and some of the eye disfunction. I can read a bit and I can now sit and write. It will be several days before I trust myself to drive. Thankfully, David is wonderful when I'm down and out.
    I love you All, my Lally Friends.

Replies:

• Betsy, I'm so sorry that you've been too sick to post this week of wonderful quotes you had planned for us this week, but I'm glad I could substitute for you. Get better SOON! -- Valerie L., 08:07:59 11/15/14 Sat
    Something to look forward to when the Outlander series returns in April. This is one of my favorite scenes. Sorry it's a wee bit too long, but it was a very hard scene to cut.

The following quote is taken from Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27 The Last Reason. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Jamie had come to stand beside me at the window. Staring absently out at the driving rain, he said, “There was another reason. The main one.”

“Reason?” I said stupidly.

“Why I married you.”

“Which was?” I don’t know what I expected him to say, perhaps some further revelation of his family’s contorted affairs. What he did say was more of a shock, in its way.

“Because I wanted you.” He turned from the window to face me. “More than I ever wanted anything in my life,” he added softly.

I continued staring at him, dumbstruck. Whatever I had been expecting, it wasn’t this. Seeing my openmouthed expression, he continued lightly. “When I asked my da how ye knew which was the right woman, he told me when the time came, I’d have no doubt. And I didn’t. When I woke in the dark under that tree on the road to Leoch, with you sitting on my chest, cursing me for bleeding to death, I said to myself, ‘Jamie Fraser, for all ye canna see what she looks like, and for all she weighs as much as a good draft horse, this is the woman.’”

I started toward him, and he backed away, talking rapidly. “I said to myself, ‘She’s mended ye twice in as many hours, me lad; life amongst the MacKenzies being what it is, it might be as well to wed a woman as can stanch a wound and set broken bones.’ And I said to myself, ‘Jamie, lad, if her touch feels so bonny on your collarbone, imagine what it might feel like lower down . . .’”

He dodged around a chair. “Of course, I thought it might ha’ just been the effects of spending four months in a monastery, without the benefits of female companionship, but then that ride through the dark together”---he paused to sigh theatrically, neatly evading my grab at his sleeve---“with that lovely broad arse wedged between my thighs”---he ducked a blow aimed at his left ear and sidestepped, getting a low table between us---“and that rock-solid head thumping me in the chest”---a small metal ornament bounced off his won head and went clanging to the floor---“I said to myself . . .”

He was laughing so hard at this point that he had to gasp for breath between phrases. “Jamie . . . I said . . . for all she’s a Sassenach bitch . . . with a tongue like an adder’s . . . with a bum like that . . . what does it matter if she’s a f-face like a sh-sh-sheep?”

I tripped him neatly and landed on his stomach with both knees as he hit the floor with a crash that shook the house.

“You mean to tell me that you married me out of love?” I demanded. He raised his eyebrows, struggling to draw in breath.

“Have I not just . . . just been . . . saying so?”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day, Friday, November 14, 2014 -- Valerie L., 08:45:02 11/14/14 Fri
    Betsy, it is not fair that you are sick on your birthday. Get well soon, My Friend. Here's the substitute quote for today. Stay warm and snug, everyone who is feeling winter's blast right now.

The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13, An Examination of Conscience. Copyright © 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Do ye not understand?” he said, in near desperation. “I would lay the world at your feet, Claire---and I have nothing to give ye!”

He honestly thought it mattered.

I sat looking at him, searching for words. He was half turned away, shoulders slumped in despair.

Within an hour, I had gone from anguish at the thought of losing him in Scotland, to a strong desire to bed him in the herbaceous borders, and from that to a pronounced urge to hit him on the head with an oar. Now I was back to tenderness.

At last I took one big, callused hand and slid forward so I knelt on the boards between his knees. I laid my head against his chest, and felt his breath stir my hair. I had no words, but I had made my choice.

“’Whither thou goest,’” I said, “’I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and they God my God. Where thou diest, will I die, and there I will be buried.’” Be it Scottish hill or southern forest. “You do what you have to’ I’ll be there.”

Replies:

• Quote of the Day, Thursday, November 13, 2014 -- Valerie L., 07:42:05 11/13/14 Thu
    Betsy lass, we're all hoping you get to feeling better soon and get back with your wonderful quotes if you can. I'll check and dip into my quilt archives until we know you're better and give the substitute QOTD until you're better.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 37, What’s in a Name. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"His hand rested on my hair, and without knowing quite how it happened, I found myself curled against him, my head just fitting in the hollow of his shoulder.

“For so many years,” he said, “for so long, I have been so many things, so many different men.” I felt him swallow, and he shifted slightly, the linen of his nightshirt rustling with starch.

“I was ‘Uncle’ to Jenny’s children, and ‘Brother’ to her and Ian. ‘Milord’ to Fergus, and ‘Sir’ to my tenants. ‘MacDubh’ to the men of Ardsmuir and ‘MacKenzie’ to the other servants at Helwater. ‘Malcolm the printer,’ then, and ‘Jamie Roy’ at the docks.” The hand stroked my hair, slowly, with a whispering sound like the wind outside. “But here,” he said, so softly I could barely hear him, “here in the dark, with you . . . I have no name.”

I lifted my face toward his, and took the warm breath of him between my own lips.

“I love you,” I said, and did not need to tell him how I meant it."

Replies:

• QITD, Wednesday, November 12, 2014 -- Valerie L., 09:27:33 11/12/14 Wed
    Since Betsy still seems to be under the weather, here's a substitute quote for everyone. Get better soon, Betsy!

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 59, In Which Much Is Revealed. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Only you,” he said, so softly I could barely hear him. “To worship ye with my body, give ye all the service of my hands. To give ye my name, and all my heart and soul with it. Only you. Because ye will not let me lie---and yet ye love me.”

I did touch him then.

“Jamie,” I said softly, and laid my hand on his arm. “You aren’t alone anymore.

He turned then and took me by the arms, searching my face.

“I swore to you,” I said. “When we married. I didn’t mean it then, but I swore---and now I mean it.” I turned his hand over in both mine, feeling the thin, smooth skin at the base of his wrist, where the pulse beat under my fingers, where the blade of his dirk had cut his flesh once, and spilled his blood to mingle with mine forever.

I pressed my own wrist against his, pulse to pulse, heartbeat to heartbeat.

“Blood of my blood . . .” I whispered.

“Bone of my bone.” His whisper was deep and husky. He knelt quite suddenly before me, and put his folded hands in mine; the gesture a Highlander makes when swearing loyalty to his chieftain.

“I give ye my spirit,” he said, head bent over our hands.

“Til our life shall be done,” I said softly. “But it isn’t done yet, Jamie, is it?”

Then he rose and took the shift from me, and I lay back on the narrow bed naked, pulled him down to me through the soft yellow light, and took him home, and home, and home again, and we were neither of us alone.”

Replies:

• QOTD, Tuesday November 11, 2014 -- Valerie L., 09:12:55 11/11/14 Tue
    Take care of yourself, Betsy, and dinna fash about the QOTD. here's a little something, probably too long, to tide us over until you feel better. (Sorry, I've forgotten how to do HTML properly.)

The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross, by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 99, Brother, Copyright © 2002 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"Finally he dropped his hand and looked up at me, blinking. His face was
    deeply flushed, there were tears in his eyes, and he wore the most
    remarkable expression in which bewilderment, fury, and laughter were
    all mingled, laughter being only slightly uppermost.

'Oh, God,' he said. He sniffed, and wiped his eyes on the back of his
    hand. 'Oh, Christ. How in hell does she do that?'

'Do what?' I pulled a clean handkerchief from my bodice and handed it
    to him.'
    'Make me feel as though I am eight years old," he said ruefully. "And
    an idiot to boot.'

He wiped his nose, then reached out a hand to touch the flattened
    roses, gently.'"

Replies:

• Sorry -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 20:35:13 11/10/14 Mon
    I'm not feeling well. I really can't sit here for very long.I am going to bed and will post in the morning. Thank you All for being patient.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, Nov. 10th, 2014. -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 20:38:34 11/09/14 Sun
    Good morning/afternoon/evening to Lallybroch! This afternoon I spent my time with two lovely ladies at a Beano Game (same thing as Bingo but this is Maine...nothing is what you'd expect it to be) Yup. Beano/Bingo, complete with paper game cards, "extra" cards that for some reason I thought I needed if I wanted to play in the Big Games (which I didn't. Those cards were across the room, which I found out AFTER I had already purchased those extra ones. I got myself all set up in the Elks Hall, right next to the bathroom...this is important because all three of us take diuretics and while I won't allow my good times to be ruined by my bladder, none of us really wanted to waddle across the room with our knees smashed together, dribbling all the way...purchased my dayglo-pink marker and bought a ham salad finger roll for a snack. My compatriots came along, happy that I had purloined three seats Right In Front of the Pottyplace, and they set up THEIR territory. Now, you must know that there are people, a LOT of people, who play Beano Every Day and they are quite passionate about everything that has to do with their game. And territorial. And they don't care if they throw their weight around. Probably LIKE to scare us peons who are not daily Beano Aficionados. Those of us who don't know all the rules. Those of us who wear trifocals.Those of us who are so confused we start to cry and have to take Tylenol just to play the dammmmm game. I won't mention the smug looks when one of us had to get up and use the little girlie room. Well, my friend Betty's mother is 88 and a pure pistol! SHE knows how to take care of herself. And us. We both hid behind her skirts, peeking out quaking in fear, and let the Mom save the day!

WELL, one thing about living in these New England States, especially Maine, is that Beano is an institution and they usually have good prizes. You don't mess with Beano. You'll lose. Honest. The second raffle was drawn and I heard them call one of my raffle ticket numbers and I yelled loudly BEANOOOO. So did another woman. I asked Betty if the number they had called matched the number on my raffle ticket and she assured me that it did. I didn't sit down. Neither did the other woman. She turned to me with FIRE in her eyes! I was a bit scared to death, but I held my ground. I waved my ticket in the air and shouted "My friend says this is the number and so does her mother and SHE knows everything!!!" I had taken notes watching Grammie part the waters at the Beano table. Low and behold Beanie Queenie had transposed two numbers and I really HAD won! I now have a picture (the items didn't all get here in time but they WILL be here in a week or two. I can wait. As long as Queenie doesn't try to impersonate me and steal my winnings, I have a Longaberger Basket chock full of art supplies. YIPPPPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!! But I'm still scared of all those Beano-ruffians.

The following quote is taken from "Dragonfly in Amber", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32, 'Field of Dreams'. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"What d'ye think, Dorcas? " I heard one woman say to her neighbor. "It's a wee bit queer-tasting, no?"
    Dorcas, so addressed, nodded and swallowed before replying.
    "Aye, it is. But the laird's eaten six o' the things so far, and they have
    havena kilt him yet."
    The response from the men and children was a good deal more enthusiastic, likely owing to the generous quantities of butter supplied with the potatoes.

Replies:

• Good Morning, Lallyland! Just in case there is any doubt, I want to throw it out there that one of the MOST effective weapons against depression and disease is spending time with friends. Particularly, for us gals, with another woman. I met a very dear friend of long standing yesterday for a 10 minute cup of tea, just to touch bases. Three and a half HOURS later, they threw us out of the restaurant. Really. They cleared their throats, they started cleaning, they flickered the lights, finally, they turned the lights completely off. We probably wouldn't have noticed and still be there, but we're both pretty sensitive about hogging other people's time, so we pried ourselves out of our seats and took the gentle hints. We had laughed until our sides hurt, cried just enough, and then laughed some more. Everything that is tilted sideways in my life was effected and we parted, both feeling All was well with the world. We both know how to make it funny. -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 06:50:26 11/09/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from "Outlander", by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24, 'By the Pricking of My Thumbs.' Copyright 1991 (c) by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"This was nothing like the clean, businesslike order of the herb room downstairs, though. It was crowded, almost cluttered, and dark in spite of the dormer windows."

"One shelf held books, mostly old and crumbling, the spines unmarked. I ran a curious finger over the row of leather bindings. Most were calf, but there were two or three in something different; something soft, but unpleasantly oily to the touch. And one that to all appearances was bound in fish skin. I pulled a volume out and opened it gingerly. It was handwritten in a mixture of archaic French, and even more obsolete Latin, but I could make out the title. L'Grimoire d'le Comte St. Germain."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, November 8, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 15:43:30 11/07/14 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 142, Things Coming Into View, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Look,” he said into my ear and pointed down the side of the cove. “Just there, on the right, where the creek comes out o’ the trees. See her?”

“Oh, no” I said, spotting the smudge of white moving slowly among the green mats of cress and duckweed. “It can’t be, surely?” I couldn’t make out details at that distance without my glasses, but from the way it moved, the object in question was almost certainly a pig. A big pig. A big white pig.

“Well, if it’s no the white sow, it’s a daughter just like her. But my guess is that it’s the auld besom herself. I’d know that proud rump anywhere.”

“Well, then.” I leaned back against him with a little sigh of satisfaction. “Now I know we’re home.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, November 7, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 15:55:13 11/06/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 82, Even People Who Want To Go To Heaven Don’t Want To Die To Get There, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

Jamie couldn’t take his eyes off Claire’s face, lest she die in the second when he looked away. He fumbled for a kerchief, but he’d given it to Bixby, and in desperation seized a fold of her skirt and pressed it hard to her side. She made a horrible sound and he nearly let go, but the ground under her was already darkening with blood and he pressed harder, shouting, “Help! Help me, Rachel! Dottie!”

But no one came, and when he risked a split second’s glance around, he saw nothing but clumps of wounded and dead under the trees some distance away and the flickering forms of soldiers, some running, some wandering dazed through the tombstones.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, November 6, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 15:53:47 11/05/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 61, A Viscous Three-Way, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“You mustn’t hit him again, Grand-pere,” Germain said earnestly, breaking the silence. “He’s a very good man, and I’m sure he won’t take Grannie to bed anymore, now that you’re home to do it.”

Jamie gave Germain a quelling look, but his mouth twitched. From my position behind the cot, I could see the back of John’s neck flush a deep pink.

“I’m very much obliged to his lordship for his care of your grannie,” Jamie told Germain. “But if ye think makin’ impertinent remarks regarding your elders is going to save your arse---think again.”

Germain shifted uneasily, but rolled his eyes at Lord John in a “worth a try” sort of way.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, November 5, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 16:49:29 11/04/14 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 65, Mosquitoes, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Really?” I said, astonished. “How can you possibly----you’ve been up for hours!”

“No, only the last minute or two,” he assured me. “I’m sorry, Sassenach. I ken ye’re tired and I wouldna ask---but I’m desperate.” He let go of my bottom long enough to pull up his shirt, and I rather resignedly started disentangling my shift from my legs.

“I dinna mind if ye fall asleep while I’m about my business,” he said in my ear, feeling his way one-handed. “I willna take long about it. I just-----”

“The mosquitoes will bite your arse,” I said, wiggling my own arse into a better position and opening my legs. “Hadn’t I best put some---oh!”

“Oh?” he said, sounding pleased. “Well, it’s all right if ye want to stay awake, of course . . .”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, November 4, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 16:41:36 11/03/14 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 24, Welcome Coolness in the Heat, Comfort in the Midst of Woe, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“He did say there was drink taken,” Jamie observed.

“Lots. He seemed nearly as drunk as I was, save that he was still on his feet.” I could see John’s face in memory, white as bone save for his eyes, which were so red and swollen that they might have been sandpapered. And the expression in those eyes. “He looked the way a man looks just before he throws himself off a cliff,” I said quietly, eyes on my folded hands. I took another breath.

“He had a fresh decanter in his hand. He put it down on the dressing table beside me, glared at me, and said, ‘I will not mourn him alone tonight.’ ” A deep quiver ran through me at the memory of those words

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, November 3, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 16:48:04 11/02/14 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 24, Welcome Coolness in the Heat, Comfort in the Midst of Woe, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Ye went to bed with John Grey, aye?”

I blinked, startled, then frowned at him. “Well, no, I wouldn’t say that.”

His eyebrows rose.

“He told me ye did.”

“Is that what he said?” I asked, surprised.

“Mmphm.” Now it was his turn to frown. “He told me he’d had carnal knowledge of ye. Why would he lie about such a thing as that?”

“Oh,” I said. “No, that’s right. Carnal knowledge is a very reasonable description of what happened.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, November 2, 2014 -- Lady Linda, 14:08:21 11/01/14 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 1, A Hundredweight of Stones, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

He stood for a bit, not thinking anymore, just listening to the fussing of wee birds in the grass and the breathing of the wind among the trees. Then he sighed deeply, squatted, and touched one of the cairns.

“Tha gaol agam oirbh, a Mhathair,” he said softly. My love is upon you, mother. Closed his eyes and laid a scuffed hand on the other heap of stones. The dirt ground into his skin made his fingers feel strange, as though he could maybe reach straight through the earth and touch what he needed.

“Help me ‘wi this, Uncle Jamie,” he said. “I dinna think I can manage, alone.”

No special theme this week, just a few lines or scenes that touched me during my first read of MOBY.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, November 1, 2014 -- Rita, 04:21:49 11/01/14 Sat
    Today is the Feast of All Saints; and tomorrow is All Souls' Day. The closing paragraphs of TSP seemed very fitting. Apart from that, I think they're some of the most beautiful lines I've ever read.

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 43: Sucession. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Willie. God, Willie. I’m so glad they gave him your name. He seldom thought of his brother, but every now and then, he could feel Willie with him; sometimes his mother or his father. More often, Claire.

I wish ye could see him, Sassenach, he thought. He’s a bonnie lad. Loud and obnoxious, he added with honesty, but bonnie.

What would his own parents think of William? They had neither of them lived to see any of their children’s children.

He lay for some time, his throat aching, listening to the dark, hearing the voices of his dead pass by in the wind. His thoughts grew vague and his grief eased, comforted by the knowledge of love, still alive in the world. Sleep came near again.

He touched the rough crucifix that lay against his chest and whispered to the moving air, “Lord, that she might be safe, she and my children.”

Then turned his cheek to her reaching hand and touched her through the veils of time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, October 31, 2014 -- Rita, 03:53:34 10/31/14 Fri
    Halloween. From ghoulies and ghosties / And long-leggedy beasties / And things that go bump in the night, / Good Lord, deliver us!   -- If John only knew...

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 28: Amplexus. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Ye dinna want to look upon them,” he said. “If ye do, they can call ye to them. Cast their glamour upon you. And then ye’re lost.”

“Do they kill people?”

Fraser shook his head.

“They take people,” he corrected. “Lure them. Take them back into the rocks, down to their ain world. Sometimes”—he cleared his throat—“sometimes, the stolen ones come back. But they come back two hundred years later. And all—all they knew and loved—are dead.”

“How terrible,” John said quietly. He could hear Fraser’s breathing, heavy, like a man struggling against tears, and wondered why this aspect of the tale should move him so.

Replies:

• Diana tweeted today that there may be 10 books in the series, rather than ending with #9. I hope I live to see the series end. :) -- CarolSR, 12:04:26 10/30/14 Thu

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 30, 2014 -- Rita, 03:42:14 10/30/14 Thu
    This made me really happy -- such a special occasion. Even now, they don't always use their christian names when addressing each other.

AN CATH NACH TAINIG / THE BATTLE TO COME

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32: Duello. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

To his astonishment, Fraser smiled at him.

“It will be my pleasure to avenge ye, my lord. If necessary.”

“Call me John,” he blurted. “Please.”

The Scot’s face went blank with his own astonishment. He cast down his eyes for a moment, thinking. Then he put a hand solidly on Grey’s shoulder and said something softly in the Gaelic, but in the midst of the odd, sibilant words, Grey thought he heard his father’s name. Iain mac Gerard … was that him?

The hand lifted, leaving the feel of its weight behind.

“What—” he said, but Fraser interrupted him.

“It is the blessing for a warrior going out. The blessing of Michael of the Red Domain.” His eyes met Grey’s squarely, a darker blue than the dawning sky. “May the grace of Michael Archangel strengthen your arm … John.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 29, 2014 -- Rita, 03:31:30 10/29/14 Wed
    I love the way John feels about Jamie in this scene. Just perfect, IMO.

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32: Duello. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He walked to his supporters, suffused with a sudden overwhelming affection for the three of them. The lines of the old folk song drifted through his mind: God send each noble man at his end / Such hawks, such hounds, and such a friend. He wondered briefly which was which and decided that Tom must be his faithful hound, Harry of course the friend, and Jamie Fraser his hawk, untamed and ferocious but there with him at the last.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, October 28, 2014 -- Rita, 03:03:02 10/28/14 Tue
    Still not completely sure about everything that's being said here. In any case, I believe they're talking about much more than just the flogging.

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21: A Poultice for Bruising. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Once more he saw the woman’s hands, gentle on Fraser’s face and body, and the big Scot turning at once to her touch, a stranger’s touch. Only because she was a woman. If he himself had ventured to touch the man …

But I have. If not directly. The open neck of the shirt had slipped back, and the faint glimmer of the scars showed once more.

Jamie’s head turned, and his eyes opened, as though he had felt the pressure of Grey’s gaze. He didn’t speak but lay quiet, meeting John’s eyes. Grey was conscious all at once of the silence; the pub’s customers had all gone home, the landlord and his family retired for the night.

“I’m sorry,” he said, very softly.

“Ego te absolvo,” Fraser murmured, and shut his eyes.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, October 27, 2014 -- Rita, 03:43:31 10/27/14 Mon
    This was not the quote I had planed for today, but Jamie and John had their own thoughts on the subject. My heart always breaks here, for Jamie -- and for John.

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13: By Darkness Met. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He was turning to creep back toward the stairs, when he heard Fraser’s voice.

“Could I but lay my head in your lap, lass,” Fraser’s voice came softly through the door. “Feel your hand on me, and sleep wi’ the scent of you about me.”

Grey’s mouth was dry, his limbs frozen. He should not be hearing this, was suffused with shame to hear it, but dared not move for fear of making a sound.

There came a rustling, as of a large body turning violently in the bed, and then a muffled sound—a gasp, a sob?—and silence. He stood still, listening to his own heart, to the ticking of the longcase clock in the hall below, to the distant sounds of the house, settling for night. A minute, by counted seconds. Two. Three, and he lifted a foot, stepping quietly back. One more step, and then heard a final murmur, a whisper so strangled that only the acuteness of his attention brought him the words.

“Christ, Sassenach. I need ye.”

He would in that moment have sold his soul to be able to offer comfort. But there was no comfort he could give, and he made his way silently down the stairs, missing the last step in the dark and coming down hard.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, October 26, 2014 -- Rita, 03:53:12 10/26/14 Sun
    For a long time I didn't want to read The Scottish Prisoner. I guess I feared it would detract from my deep and abiding love for the first part of Voyager. Oh, me of little faith...

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1: April Fool. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Claire was still with him, vivid in his mind, solid in his hands. He could imagine that he smelled her hair in the scent of fresh hay. The memory of her mouth, those sharp white teeth … He rubbed his nipple, hard and itching beneath his shirt, and swallowed.
    His eyes were long accustomed to the dark; he found the vacant loose box at the end of the row and leaned against its boards, cock already in his fist, body and mind yearning for his lost wife.
    He’d have made it last if he could, but he was fearful lest the dream go altogether, and he surged into the memory, groaning. His knees gave way in the aftermath and he slid slowly down the boards of the box into the loose piled hay, shirt rucked round his thighs and his heart pounding like a kettledrum.
    Lord, that she might be safe was his last conscious thought. She and the child.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, October 25, 2014 -- LollyS, 03:19:00 10/25/14 Sat
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 99: Radar. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

“Was he like Grandda? Grandpa Frank?” She’d told the kids little things about Frank Randall, not wanting him to be forgotten, but she knew he’d never be much more than a faint ghost beside the vivid warmth of their other grandfather—the grandfather they might have back. She felt a sudden small tearing in her heart, a vivid second of understanding for her mother.

Oh, Mama…

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, October 24, 2014 -- LollyS, 02:48:48 10/24/14 Fri
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 89: One Day, Cock of the Walk-Next Day, A Feather Duster. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

"This man is my heart and my soul,” she said simply, looking up into his face. “And he is thy own blood, whatever thee may presently feel about the fact. I trust thee to see him safe, for all our sakes.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 23, 2014 -- LollyS, 01:53:36 10/23/14 Thu
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 84: Nightfall. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

William’s heart seized, in a lump more painful than the one in his throat.

“Papa!” His father stopped abruptly, turning to look over his shoulder.

“I’m glad you’re not dead,” William blurted.

A smile blossomed slowly on his father’s battered face.
    “Me, too,” he said.

Replies:

• Shocker of all shockers.......... -- Judie, 23:05:13 10/22/14 Wed

.... the hordes aren't beating a path to my door to get signed up for QOTD, even for MOBY quotes?

Heavens to Murgatroyd! What's up with that? :D

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 21, 2014 -- LollyS, 02:36:30 10/22/14 Wed
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 65: Mosquitoes. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

He was right; it didn’t take long. He lay half on and half off me, panting, his heart beating slow and hard against my breast. I had my legs wrapped round him—I could feel the flutter of tiny insects on my ankles and bare feet as they swarmed, avid for his unprotected bare flesh—and didn’t mean to let me go. I squeezed him close, rocking gently, slippery and tingling and --- I didn’t take long, either. My quivering legs relaxed, releasing him.

“Shall I tell you something?” I said, after a bit of mint-scented heavy breathing. “The mosquitoes won’t bite your cock.”

“I dinna mind if they carry me off to their lair to feed their bairns,” he murmured. “Come here, Sassenach.”

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of November 23 - LexyG
    Week of November 30 - LisaW
    Week of December 7 - HappieApple
    Week of December 14 - swarl
    Week of December 21 - kgp
    Week of December 28 - Helka
    Week of January 4 - Rita/FW

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.