VoyForums

Tuesday, July 07, 01:55:37amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• QOTD: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 20:32:36 07/06/15 Mon
    Time for two:

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24. "A. Malcolm, Printer." Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

The following quote is taken from Drums Of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 41. "Journey's End." Copyright ©1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"You're real," he whispered.

"My God," he croaked. "You're huge."

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

• QOTD: Monday, July 6, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 17:02:23 07/05/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 22, "The Royal Stud." Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“I’m honest enough to say that I dinna care what the right and wrong of it may be, so long as you are here wi’ me, Claire,” he said softly. “If it was a sin for you to choose me…then I would go to the Devil himself and bless him for tempting ye to it.” He lifted my foot and gently kissed the tip of my big toe.

Replies:

• QOTD: Sunday, July 5, 2015 -- Lady-Jane, 07:36:41 07/05/15 Sun
    (Sorry I'm a bit late!)

This week will be short Jamie quotes from each book. No, my math is not THAT bad - we'll do two books one day.

Quote taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 18, "Raiders in the Rocks." Copyright ©1991 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Be quiet, Sassenach,” he said with authority. “It isna going to take verra long.”

Last edited by author: Sun July 05, 2015 07:37:29   Edited 2 times.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, July 4, 2015 -- Helka, 00:39:51 07/04/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 16, One Fine Day. Copyright ©1991 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

”I should thank you,” I said, “for marrying me.
    I must say that I’d rather be here than in Fort William.

”I thank ye for the compliment, lady” he said with a slight bow.
    “So would I. And while we’re busy thanking each other,” he added,
    “I should thank you for marrying me, as well.”

”Er, well . . .” I blushed once more.

”Not only for that, Sassenach,” he said, his grin widening.
    ”Though certainly for that as well. But I imagine you’ve also saved my life for me,
    at least so far as the MacKenzies are concerned.”

Thank you for the week, Jamie’s and Claire’s marriage is such a major theme in the Books and Diana makes their bond alive with small daily gestures.
    The beginning was a contract, and their relationship was based on mutual respect, trust and easiness in each other’s company.

Happy Independence Day, my friends in the US.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, July 3, 2015 -- Helka, 22:44:56 07/02/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Drums Of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 44 Three-cornered Conversation. Copyright ©1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

"There’s bread in the hutch, and little stew left in the kettle for you and Ian and Lizzie."
    Claire reached up and flicked a stray wood chip from his hair.
         He caught her fingers in his and kissed her knuckles lightly.
    She looked surprised, and then a faint warm glow came up under her skin.
    She came up a-tiptoe and kissed his mouth, then hurried after Brianna, already at the edge of the clearing.

Small gestures of love and caring, Jamie and Claire value their marriage highly and even a few seconds are enough to keep the flame alive.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 2, 2015 -- Helka, 20:25:16 07/01/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 7. Faith in Documents Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

I haven’t got that absolute conviction that there’s something in life I’m meant to do−and you have.
         ”Is that good?” The edges of my nostrils were sore, and my eyes puffed from crying.
         He laughed shortly. ”It’s damned inconvenient, Claire. To you and me and Bree, all three. But my God, I do envy you sometimes”
         He reached out for my hand, and after a moment’s hesitation, I let him have it.
         ”To have that passion for anything”−a small twitch tugged the corner of his mouth−“or anyone.
    That’s quite splendid, Claire, and quite terribly rare.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, July 1, 2015 -- Helka, 23:53:01 06/30/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 23, The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

”I’m not sweet” he said indignantly. “But I’m no such a selfish−Claire stop that!”
         ”You were planning to wait several more months?” I asked not stopping.
         ”I could,” he said, with what dignity was possible, under the circumstances.
    “I waited tw-twenty-two years, and I can . . .”
         ”No, you can’t,” I said, pulling back the bedclothes and admiring the shape so clearly visible beneath his nightshirt.
    I touched it, and it moved slightly, eager against my hand.
         ”Whatever God meant you to be, Jamie Fraser, it wasn’t a monk.”

Jamie's embarrasment was so much fun. There's the scene from Turtle Soup and both are funny, this just fits my theme a bit better.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, June 30, 2015 -- Helka, 21:41:46 06/29/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 6, Making Waves. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

”Rinse your mouth, Sassenach, but don’t swallow for God’s sake.”
    Jamie held the cup for me, wiped my mouth with a cloth
    as though I were a small and messy child and laid me carefully back in the bed.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, June 29, 2015 The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 18, No Place Like Home, Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 02:53:48 06/29/15 Mon
          ”Here,” I said, and took one of his hands between my own,
    rubbing the ointment into the crease of his knuckles, massaging his callused palms.
    Slowly, he relaxed, letting me stretch each finger
    as I worked my way down the joints and rubbed more ointment into the tiny scrapes and cuts.
    There were still marks on his hands where he had kept the leather reins wrapped tightly.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, June 28, 2015 The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 29, Perfectly Fine, Copyright © 2005 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 21:38:33 06/27/15 Sat
    She lifted her hands to his shoulders and brought him slowly down to his knees before her.
    She looked searchingly into his eyes−he did his best to look back.
    She smiled a little, then, and reached to untie the thong that held his own hair back.

It fell around his shoulders in a dusty black tangle, smelling of burned things, stale sweat, and horses.
    He protested when she took up her hairbrush, but she ignored him, and made him bend his head over her lap,
    while she picked pine straw and sandburs from his head,
    slowly working out the snarls.
    His head bent lower, and lower still, and he found himself at last with his forehead pressed into her lap, breathing in the close scent of her.

Replies:

• QOTD for June 27, 2015 -- kgp, 04:00:05 06/27/15 Sat
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 75. Lice.

"You're sure it's all right?" Brianna was still frowning, worried. "It isn't dangerous?"

"Oh, aye, it's nothing," Roger assured her, glancing up from the newspaper. "I've had one just like that myself, ever since I was a kid. Just . . . here." His face changed abruptly as he spoke, and his hand rose, very slowly, to rest on the back of his head - just above the hairline, behind the left ear.

He looked at me, and I saw his throat move as he swallowed, the jagged rope scar dark against the sudden paleness of his skin. The down hairs rose silently on my arms.

"Yes," I said, answering the look, and hoping my voice didn't shake too noticeably. "That sort of mark is ... often hereditary."

Jamie said nothing, but his hand closed on mine, squeezing tight."

Replies:

• Quoters Needed. :D -- Judie, 18:36:42 06/26/15 Fri

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, June 26, 2015 -- kgp, 18:29:37 06/25/15 Thu
    The following quotation is from Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights reserved. Chapter 74. So Romantic

"I'm sorry," she said, feeling choked. "I know it's my fault - all of it. If I hadn't come back ..." She reached out, tentatively, and touched the ragged scar that circled his throat. He caught her hand and pulled it down.

"Christ," he said softly,"if I could have gone anywhere to find either of my parents - including hell - Brianna, I would have done it." He looked up, his eyes bright green, and squeezed her hand hard. "If there's anyone in this world who understands that, hen, it's me."

She squeezed back with both hands, hard. Relief that he didn't blame her loosened the cords of her body, but sorrow for his own losses - and hers - still filled throat and chest, heavy as wet feathers, and it hurt to breathe."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, June 25, 2015 -- kgp, 03:29:41 06/25/15 Thu
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 53. Principles

In war, government and their armies were a threat, but it was so often the neighbors who damned or saved you.

"Who?" I sad baldly.

"I could guess," he said, with a shrug. "The McGillivrays? Richard Brown? Hodgepile's friends - if he had any. The friends of any of the other men we killed? The Indian ye met - Donner? - if he's still alive. Gerald Forbes? He's a grudge against Brianna, and she and Roger Mac would do well to remember it. Hiram Crombie and his lot?"

"Hiram? I said dubiously. "Granted, he doesn't like you very much - and as for me - but ..."

"Well, I do doubt it," he admitted. "But it's possible, aye? His people didna support the Jacobites at all; they'll no be pleased at an effort to overthrow the king from this side of the water, either."

Last edited by author: Thu June 25, 2015 06:39:48   Edited 2 times.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, June 24, 2015 -- kgp, 03:26:47 06/24/15 Wed
    The following quotation is from A breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 69. A Stampede of Beavers

"When I was a bairn, I'd wake in my bed, and I'd ken at once where I was, aye? There was the window" - he flung out a hand - "and there was the basin and ewer on the table, wi' a blue band round the top, and there - he pointed toward a laurel bush - "was the big bed where Janet and Michael were sleepin', and Jocky the dog at the bed fit, farting like a beetle, and the smell of peat smoke from the fire and ... well, even if I should wake at midnight and the house all still around me, I should ken at once where I was."

She nodded, the memory of her own old room in the house on Fury Street rising around her, vivid as a vision in the smoke. The striped wool blanket, itchy under her chin, and the mattress with the indentation of her body in the middle, cupping her like a huge, warm hand. Angus, the stuffed Scottie with the ragged tam-o-shanter who shared her bed, and the comforting hum of her parent's conversation from the living room below, punctuated by the baritone sax of the theme music from Perry Mason.

Last edited by author: Wed June 24, 2015 07:28:05   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, June 23, 2015 -- kgp, 03:14:00 06/23/15 Tue
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. all Rights Reserved. Chapter 29. Perfectly Fine.

"They'd ridden away then. Left them, without burial or word of consecration. In a way, that was more shocking than the killing. Roger had gone with the Reverend to more than one deathbed or scene of accident, helped comfort the bereaved, stood by as the spirit fled and the old man said the words of grace. It was what you did when someone died, turned toward God and at least acknowledged the fact.

And yet . . . how could you stand over the body of a man you'd killed, and look God in the face?"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, June 22, 2015 -- kgp, 05:47:12 06/22/15 Mon
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 61. A Noisome Pestilence

"Do you remember the first person you knew of who had died?"

His face went blank with surprise, then sharpened, thinking. After a moment, he shook his head.

"My brother was the first who was important, but I kent others before him, surely."

"I can't remember either." My parents, of course; their deaths had been personal - but born in England, I had lived in the shadow of cenotaphs and memorials, and people just beyond the bounds of my own family died regularly; I had a sudden vivid memory, of my father putting on a homburg and dark coat to go to the baker's wife's funeral. Mrs. Briggs, her name had been. But she hadn't been the first; I knew already about death and funerals. How old had I been then - four, perhaps?

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, June 21, 2016 -- kgp, 03:21:33 06/21/15 Sun
    The following quotation is from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2005.All rights reserved.

"The Reverend had been a fisherman. All at once, he saw the Ness and it's sparkling riffles, running clear brown over the rocks, Dad standing in his battered waders, reeling in his line. He was choked with longing. For Scotland. For his father. For one more day - just one - of peace."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, June 19, 2015 -- Happiapple, 12:39:21 06/19/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 74 The Sort of Thing That Will Make A Man Sweat and Tremble. Copyright 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

I had Clarence packed with as much as he could reasonably be expected to carry. As he was a large mule, this was a substantial amount, including my small tent,
    a folding camp bed for surgery, and all I could cram in, in terms of bandages, lint, and disinfectant--I had both a small cask of purified saline solution and a couple
    of bottles of straight ethyl alcohol (these disguised as poison, with a large skull-and-crossbones labels painted on). Also, a jug of sweet oil for burns, me medicine
    chest, and bundles of raw herbs, large jars of prepared ointment, and dozens of small bottles and vials of tinctures and infusions. My surgical instruments, stitching
    needles, and sutures we in their own small box, this in a haversack with extra bandage rolls, to be carried on my person.

I left Clarence tied and went to find out where the hospital tents were to be set up. The camp was milling with non-combatants and support personnel, but I was
    finally able to locate Denny Hunter, who told me that on the basis of General Greene's reports, the surgeons were to be dispatched to the village of Freehold,
    where there was a large church that could be used as a hospital.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, June 18, 2015 -- Happiapple, 13:22:06 06/18/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 11, Conversations with a Lawyer. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

We passed the rest of the day in pleasant conversation, wandering among his reminiscences of the dear departed days when men were men, and the pernicious weed
    of civilization was less rampant upon the bonny wild face of the Highlands.

At nightfall, we made camp in a clearing beside the road. I had a blanket, rolled and tied behind my saddle, and with this I prepared to spend my first night of freedom
    from the castle. As I left the fire and made my way to a spot behind the trees, though, I was conscious of the glances that followed me. Even in the open air, it seemed,
    freedom had definite limits.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, June 17, 2015 -- Happiapple, 13:06:18 06/17/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 67. Greasier than Grease. Copyright © 2009 by Diane Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I put on a second pair of stockings, wrapped my thick wool cload around myself, and thanked God for the cold weather. A chill had struck in late September,
    setting the woods afire with a glory of red and gold, but also helpfully killing off the insects. The relief of camp life without flies was marvelous in itself—
    no surprise to me that flies had been one of the Ten Plagues of Egypt.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, June 16, 2015 -- Happiapple, 11:51:28 06/16/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Drums Of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 19. Copyright ©1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

Jamie had been right, I thought, when he had suggested that we stay on the mountain, instead of returning to Cross Creek. It was the beginning of September; by Myer’s estimation, we would have two months of good weather—relatively good weather, I amended, looking up at the clouds—before the cold made shelter imperative. Time enough—maybe—to build a small cabin, to hunt for meat, to supply ourselves for the winter ahead.

“It will be gey hard work,” Jamie had said. I stood between his knees as he sat perched high on a large rock, looking over the valley below. “And some danger to it; we may fail if the snow is early or if I canna hunt meat enough. I willna do it, if ye say nay, Sassenach. Would ye be afraid?”

Afraid was putting it mildly. The thought made the bottom of my stomach drop alarmingly. When I had agreed to settle on the ridge, I had thought we would return to Cross Creek to spend the winter.

We could have gathered both supplies and settlers in a leisurely manner, and returned in the spring in caravan, to clear land and raise houses communally. Instead, we would be completely alone, several days travel from the nearest tiny settlement of Europeans. Alone in a wilderness, alone through the winter.

We had virtually nothing with us in the way of tools or supplies, save a felling ax, a couple of knives, a camp kettle and girdle, and my smaller medicine box. What if something happened, if Ian or Jamie fell ill or was hurt in an accident? If we starved or froze? And while Jamie was sure that our Indian acquaintances had no objection to our intent, I wasn’t so sanguine about any others who might happen along.

Yes, I bloody well would be afraid. On the other hand, I’d lived long enough to realize that fear wasn’t usually fatal—at least not by itself. Add in the odd bear or savage, and I wasn’t saying, mind.

For the first time, I looked back with some longing at River Run, at hot water and warm beds and regular food, at order, cleanliness . . . and safety.

Replies:

• Identify the wallpaper in the Lallybroch Laird's bedroom? -- Kathleen (help), 15:11:39 06/15/15 Mon
    Love the wallpaper in the Lallybroch Laird's bedroom. Is it commercially available? How do I find it?

Thank you.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, June 15, 2015 -- Happiapple, 21:05:08 06/14/15 Sun
    Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13, Beans and Bacon. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The tent seemed cluttered but relatively luxurious, being equipped with a camp bed and other furniture, the air within scented not only by damp canvas and wool but with the perfume of Ceylon tea, expensive wine, and almond biscuits.

So, the word "camp" or a derivative is used more than 60 times in The Fiery Cross alone. By the end of the week, I hope to visit a camp in every book...and I believe if memory serves correctly, we can do it. Enjoy!

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, June 14, 2015 -- Happiapple, 20:35:55 06/14/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 36, Prestonpans. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

Four days' march found us on the crest of a hill near Calder. A sizable moor stretched out at the food of the hill, but we set up camp within the shelter of the trees above. There were two small streams cutting through the moss-covered rock of the hillside, and the crisp weather of early fall made it seem much more like picnicking than a march to war.

Since camping seems to too many times get in the way of my QOTD posts, I thought it was fitting to mention the many times they've resided in a camp situation. Enjoy!

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, June 13, 2015 -- Helka, 22:01:24 06/12/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Drums Of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 13 An Examination of Conscience. Copyright ©1997 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

”I’m a violent man, and I ken it well,” he said quietly. He spread his hands out on his knees;
    big hands which could wield sword and dagger with ease, or choke the life from man. “So do you or−ye should.”

”You’ve never done anything you weren’t forced to do!”

”No?”

”I don’t think so,” I said, but even as we spoke, a shadow of doubt clouded my words.
    Even done from the most urgent necessity, did such things not leave a mark on the soul?

”Ye wouldna hold me in the same estimation as, say, a man like Stephen Bonnet?
    He might well say he acted from necessity.”

”If you think you have the slightest thing in common with Sephen Bonnet, you’re dead wrong,” I said firmly.

He shrugged, half impatient, and shifted restlessly on the narrow bench.

”There’s nay much to choose between Bonnet and me, save that I have a sense of honor that he lacks. What else keeps me from turning thief?” he demanded.

Thank you for sharing Jamie’s week in most unwelcome situations. Sorry, this quote exceeded the limits considerably.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, June 12, 2015 -- Helka, 22:24:27 06/11/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 40, Absolution. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

”Tell me that you love me Alex. Say that you love me.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, June 11, 2015 -- Helka, 00:33:19 06/11/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amberer by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 34, The Postman Always Rings Twice. Copyright ©1992 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

At the bottom of the list was written,
    “James Alexander Malcom MacKenzie Fraser, of Broch Tuarach.”

”Jesus bloody fucking Christ”, I whispered,
    wishing there were something stronger I could say, as a form of relief.
    “The filthy bastard’s signed your name to it.”

Replies:

• Yikes - no quotes next week? -- Judie, 00:06:13 06/10/15 Wed

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, June 10, 2015 -- Helka, 22:55:10 06/09/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 14, Geneva . Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

”You’ll not use that name to me,” he said.
    She lifted the pointed chin a trifle more and raised her plucked brows.
         Why not? It’s yours. Your sister calls you so.”

He hesitated for a moment, then deliberately laid the letter aside, and bent his head to the laces of his breeches.

”I’ll serve ye properly,”
    he said, looking down at his working fingers,
    “for the sake of my honor as a man, and yours as a woman.
    But”−he raised his head and the narrowed blue eyes bored into hers−
    “having brought me to your bed by means of threats against my family,
    I’ll not have you call me by the name they give me.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, June 9, 2015 -- Helka, 00:25:04 06/09/15 Tue

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 11, Conversations with a Lawyer. Copyright ©1991 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

With no warning, Dougal stood, seized Jamie’s collar and pulled.

Old, shabbily made to begin with, the shirt tore cleanly by the seams.
    Taken completely by surprise, Jamie froze.
    His eyes narrowed, and I saw his jaw set tightly, but he didn’t move as Dougal spread aide the ripped flaps of cloth to display his back to the onlookers.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, June 8, 2015 -- Helka, 01:35:52 06/08/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 40, I Shall Go Down to the Sea, Copyright ©1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

”You smell of ink.”

He smiled lightly, stepping back and running his hand through his hair. “You’ve nose of a truffle pig’s, Sassenach”

”Why, thank you, what a graceful compliment,” I said. “What were you writing?”

The smile disappeared from his face, leaving him strained and tired.

”A letter to Jenny,” he said.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, June 7, 2015 The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 7, When a Man Is Tired of London, He Is Tired of Life, Copyright © 2011 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved. -- Helka, 22:09:43 06/06/15 Sat
         There it was. He gasped, couldn’t help it, though it made all the soldiers look at him, conversation interrupted.

It had to be. He knew the look of a prison well enough.
    Huge round towers set in a grim high wall, and the filthy brown water of a broad river flowing past, flowing under an iron-barred gate.
    The Trator’s Gate? He’d heard of it.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, June 6, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 16:47:32 06/05/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 87, Moonrise, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“I’ve . . . decided . . . not to die,” she said, in a voice little more than a whisper.

“Oh. Good.” He was afraid to touch her, for fear of hurting her, but couldn’t bear not to. He laid a hand as lightly as he could over hers, finding it cool in spite of the heat trapped in the small attic.

I could,you know. “She closed one eye and looked accusingly at him with the other. I wantto; this is . . . bloody horrible.”

“I know,” he whispered, and brought her hand to his lips. Her bones were frail, and she hadn’t the strength to squeeze his hand; her finger lay limp in his.

She closed her eyes and breathed audibly for a little.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, June 5, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 18:50:42 06/04/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 83, Sundown, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Again, Sassenach,” Jamie whispered, lifting my head and putting the spoon to my lips, sticky with sherry and the bitter taste of opium. “One more.” I swallowed and lay back. If I died, would I see my mother again? I wondered, and experienced an urgent longing for her, shocking in its intensity.

I was trying to summon her face before me, bring her out of the floating horde of strangers, when I suddenly lost my grip on my own thoughts and began to float off into a sphere of dark, dark blue.

“Don’t leave me, Claire,” Jamie whispered, very close to my ear. “This time, I’ll beg. Dinna go from me. Please.” I could feel the warmth of his face, see the glow of his breath on my cheek, though my eyes were closed.

“I won’t,” I said---or thought I said---and went. My last clear thought was that I’d forgotten to tell him not to marry a fool.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, June 4, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 18:18:18 06/03/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 83, Sundown, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

He was standing by the window at the moment, clutching the sill as he looked out.

Seeing him there, broad shoulders outlined by the sinking sun, brought back a sudden memory, surprising in its sharpness. Or rather, memories, for the layers of experience came back altogether, in a wodge, and I was seeing Jamie rigid with his fear and grief, the slight black figure of Malva Christie leaning toward him---and remembered feeling both a vague affront and a tremendous sense of peace as I began to leave my body, carried on the wings of fever.

I shook the memory off at once, frightened even to think of that beckoning peace. The fear was reassuring; I wasn’t yet so close to death as to find it appealing.

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, June 3, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 17:55:39 06/02/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 87, MOONRISE, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Elephants,” I said, drawing the shallowest possible breath compatible with speaking. “When female elephants are dying, sometimes a male will try to mate with her.”

There was a marked silence behind me, and then a big hand came round and rested assessingly on my forehead.

“Either ye’re fevered again, Sassenach,” he said in my ear, “or ye have verra perverse fancies. Ye dinna really want me to---“

“No,” I said hastily. “Not right this minute, no. And I’m not dying, either. The thought just came to me.”

He made an amused Scottish noise and, lifting the hair off my neck, kissed my nape.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, June 2, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 17:47:00 06/01/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 82, Even People Who Want To Go To Heaven Don’t Want To Die To Get There, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“Take off your coat and waistcoat, lad,” Jamie said abruptly. The boy looked completely bewildered, but---stimulated by a menacing movement from Bixby---did as he was told. Jamie took him by the shoulder, turned him round, and said, “Stand still, aye?”

Stooping swiftly, he scooped a handful from the horrifying puddle of bloody mud and, standing, wrote carefully on the messenger’s white back with a finger: I resign my commission. J. Fraser.

He made to fling the remnants of mud away but, after a moment’s hesitation, added a smeared and reluctant Sir at the top of the message, then clapped the boy on the shoulder.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, June 1, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 18:12:16 05/31/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 82, Even People Who Want To Go To Heaven Don’t Want To Die To Get There, Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

Jamie couldn’t take his eyes off Claire’s face, lest she die in the second when he looked away. He fumbled for a kerchief, but he’d given it to Bixby, and in desperation seized a fold of her skirt and pressed it hard to her side. She made a horrible sound and he nearly let go, but the ground under her was already darkening with blood and he pressed harder, shouting, “Help! Help me, Rachel! Dottie!”

But no one came, and when he risked a split second’s glance around, he saw nothing but clumps of wounded and dead under the trees some distance away and the flickering forms of soldiers, some running, some wandering dazed through the tombstones.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, May 31, 2015 -- Lady Linda, 17:42:03 05/30/15 Sat

“Sassenach!”

Hands turned me. I screamed. Tried to. I felt it wrench my throat but couldn’t hear it; there was a roaring in my ears. Shock I thought. I couldn’t feel my limbs, my feet. I felt the blood leaving my body.

It hurt.

The shock’s wearing off,I thought. Or is it getting worse?I could see the pain now, going off in bursts like black lightning, jagged and searing.

“Sassenach!”

“What?” I said through clenched teeth. “Auh!”

“Are ye dying?”

“Probably.”

Always thought the scenes related to Claire being shot were some of the most dramatic and gut wrenching in the entire series. So, this week will be quotes from that event. BTW, I am suffering from Droughtlander already!

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, May 30, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 94, New Blood. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 19:19:52 05/29/15 Fri

"Brianna, say hello to our new tenants," he said, with a nod at the Christies. "Mr. Thomas Christie, and …" "My son, Allan, "Christie said, with a jerk of the head, "and my daughter, Malva."

I have been a long time reader here and this is my first time posting QOTD. I have totally enjoyed this week. With the release of Outlander on Starz I decided to faithfully reread the series (again) and not just pick my favorite parts. I always selectively reread The Fiery Cross. After having read all books and knowing the outcomes it was enlightening that so many characters that wreak havoc with Jamie, Claire, Roger and Bree were introduced in this book. Choosing to stay with the Wednesday theme I did leave out Major McDonald.
    I hope you enjoyed the quotes.
    Tulach Ard

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, May 29, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 64, Signal For Action. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 17:45:03 05/28/15 Thu

"Get away from my wife. William Buccleigh MacKenzie emerged from the shrubbery with a great rustling of leaves and a look of sinister intent upon his face. He was a tall man, close to Roger's own height, and burly through the shoulders. Further personal details seemed inconsequent, given that he also had a knife. It was still sheathed at his belt, but his hand rested on the hilt in a significant manner.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, May 28, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 28, Brownsville. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 18:47:15 05/27/15 Wed
    "My name is Brown, sir. This is my brother, Lionel, my wife, Meg, my brother's daughter, Alicia: - that appeared to be the girl in the apron, who had now removed the garment from her head and stood tear stained and gulping" "and my sister, Thomasina."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 99, Brother. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 18:07:55 05/26/15 Tue
    In keeping with the Wednesday theme...

"Besides, I don't believe it's actually wrapping round, so much as it is squashing together, and they're certainly large enough for…see?"
    "Oh," he said, sounding deeply gratified and a little breathless. "Aye, ye're right. That's…oh, that looks verra beautiful, Sassenach - least from here."
    "It looks very interesting from here, too," I assured him trying neither to laugh nor go cross-eyed. "Which on of us moves, do you think?"
    "Me, for now. I'm no chafing ye, Sassenach?" he inquired.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, May 26, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 26, The Militia Rises. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 17:54:50 05/25/15 Mon

Jamie glimpsed my convulsive movement from the corner of his eye and scowled in my direction, lips pursed in a silent adjuration to stillness. Josiah's face was contoured, lips drawn back from his teeth in agony - but he made no noise. On the far side of the fire, Kenny Lindsay sat watching, silent as a rock."

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, May 25, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 18, No Place Like Home. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 18:04:18 05/24/15 Sun

It sat frozen, blending perfectly with its dusky background. He would never have seen it had his hunter's eye not caught its movement. A tiny kitten, its gray fur puffed out like a ripe milkweed head, enormous eyes wide open and unblinking, almost colorless in the gloom beneath the bush. A Chait," he whispered, putting out a slow finger toward it, "Whatever are ye doing here?"

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, May 24, 2015 Quote taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 8, The Factor. Copyright © 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- SusiQ, 18:30:52 05/23/15 Sat
    "Mr. Bug, here's Himself"s good-son, Roger Mac, him I tellt ye of." He turned back toward Roger, waving vaguely at his companion, who stepped forward, extending his hand with a stiff but cordial bow. "This will be Arch Bug, a Smeòraich.."

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, May 23, 2015 -- LisaW, 22:40:14 05/22/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 111 "AND YET GO OUT TO MEET IT". Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to
    look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'--ye'll ken it was because I
    didna have time." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, May 22, 2015 -- LisaW, 20:29:29 05/21/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 25 "Raymond the Heretic". Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "Now," he said softly. "Call him. Call the red man. Call him."
       The pressure of the fingers within and the palm without grew harder, and I
    pressed my legs against the bed, fighting it. But there was no strength left
    in me to resist, and the inexorable pressure went on, cracking the crystal
    sphere, freeing the chaos within.
       My mind filled with images, worse than the misery of the fever-dreams,
    because more real. Grief and loss and fear racked me, and the dusty scent of
    death and white chalk filled my nostrils. Casting about in the random patterns
    of my mind for help., I heard the voice still muttering, patiently but firmly,
    "Call him," and I sought my anchor. "

Replies:

• More quoters needed! :) -- Judie, 10:35:08 05/21/15 Thu
    Click on "contact forum admin" link above if you would like to have a week of quoting fun. :)

Please tell me which weeks you CANNOT do - it makes it easier to schedule.

Thanks.

• QOTD for Thursday, May 21, 2015 -- LisaW, 19:06:02 05/20/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 35 "Flight from Eden". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "But Auntie Claire, it's not that!"
       "What's not that?" Caught by his tone of desperation, I glanced up. His
    long, narrow face was tight with the anguished need to make me understand.
       "Uncle Jamie didna stay to tend Laoghaire!"
       "Then why did he send you?"
       He took a deep breath, renewing his grip on my reins.
       "She shot him. He sent me to find ye, because he's dying." "

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, May 20, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:38:42 05/19/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 49 "Blessed Are Those...". Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All
    rights reserved.

" "Caire?" His voice felt scratchy from disuse, and he cleared his throat and
    tried again. "Claire? I . . . have something to tell you."
       She turned and looked up at him, no more than the faintest curiosity
    visible on her features. She wore a look of calm, the look of one who has borne
    terror, despair, and mourning, and the desperate burden of survival--and has
    endured. Looking at her, he felt suddenly that he couldn't do it.
       But she had told the truth; he must do likewise.
       "I found something." He raised the book in a brief, futile gesture. "About
    . . . Jamie." Speaking that name aloud seemed to brace him, as though the
    big Scot himself had been conjured by his calling, to stand solid and unmoving
    in the hallway, between his wife and Roger. "

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, May 19, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:06:47 05/18/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 63 "MOMENT OF DECISION". Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" Then some sound turned me toward the window and I saw the man who
    stood there. I had no name for him, and yet I loved him. He stood with his back
    turned to the bed, arms braced on the sill, and his head sunk on his chest, so the
    dawn light glowed red on his hair and traced his arms with gold. A spasm of grief
    shook him; I felt it, like the temblors of a distant quake.
       Someone moved near him. A dark-haired woman, a girl. She came close,
    touched his back, murmuring something to him. I saw the way she looked at
    him, the tender inclination of her head, the intimacy of her body swaying toward
    him.
       No, I thought, with great calm. That won't do.
       I looked once more at myself lying on the bed, and with a feeling that was at
    once firm decision and incalculable regret, I took another breath. "

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of June 28 - Helka
    Week of July 5 - Lady Jane
    Week of July 12 - CindyG
    Week of July 19 - SusiQ
    Week of July 26 -
    Week of August 2 -
    Week of August 9 -
    Week of August 16 -
    Week of August 23 -
    Week of August 30 -
    Week of September 6 -
    Week of September 13 -
    Week of September 20 -
    Week of September 27 -

web counter
    web counter
    [ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.