VoyForums

Friday, October 24, 05:00:43amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

The book discussions are NOW INCLUDING MOBY!
If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• QOTD for Friday, October 24, 2014 -- LollyS, 02:48:48 10/24/14 Fri
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 89: One Day, Cock of the Walk-Next Day, A Feather Duster. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

"This man is my heart and my soul,” she said simply, looking up into his face. “And he is thy own blood, whatever thee may presently feel about the fact. I trust thee to see him safe, for all our sakes.”

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 23, 2014 -- LollyS, 01:53:36 10/23/14 Thu
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 84: Nightfall. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

William’s heart seized, in a lump more painful than the one in his throat.

“Papa!” His father stopped abruptly, turning to look over his shoulder.

“I’m glad you’re not dead,” William blurted.

A smile blossomed slowly on his father’s battered face.
    “Me, too,” he said.

Replies:

• Shocker of all shockers.......... -- Judie, 23:05:13 10/22/14 Wed

.... the hordes aren't beating a path to my door to get signed up for QOTD, even for MOBY quotes?

Heavens to Murgatroyd! What's up with that? :D

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 21, 2014 -- LollyS, 02:36:30 10/22/14 Wed
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 65: Mosquitoes. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

He was right; it didn’t take long. He lay half on and half off me, panting, his heart beating slow and hard against my breast. I had my legs wrapped round him—I could feel the flutter of tiny insects on my ankles and bare feet as they swarmed, avid for his unprotected bare flesh—and didn’t mean to let me go. I squeezed him close, rocking gently, slippery and tingling and --- I didn’t take long, either. My quivering legs relaxed, releasing him.

“Shall I tell you something?” I said, after a bit of mint-scented heavy breathing. “The mosquitoes won’t bite your cock.”

“I dinna mind if they carry me off to their lair to feed their bairns,” he murmured. “Come here, Sassenach.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, October 21, 2014 -- LollyS, 03:21:32 10/21/14 Tue
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 29: Return to Lallybroch. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

Mandy. Oh, my sweet baby. Mandy. Bree. Jem. All at once, the enormity of it struck him. He’d managed so far to ignore it by concentrating on the need to find Jem, but now a cold wind whistled through the holes in his heart left by hurtling odds. The odds were that he would never see any of them again. And they would never know what had happened to him.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, October 20, 2014 -- LollyS, 02:36:39 10/20/14 Mon
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24: Welcome Coolness in the Heat, Comfort in the Midst of Woe. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

He sighed. “And then there was William. When Geneva died and it was my fault, it was a knife in my heart—and then William … ” His mouth softened. “The bairn cut me wide open, Sassenach. He spilled my guts out into my hands.”

I put my hand on his, and he turned it, his fingers curling over mine.

“And that bloody English sodomite bandaged me,” he said, so low I could scarcely hear him above the sound of the river. “With his friendship.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, October 19, 2014 -- LollyS, 03:09:37 10/19/14 Sun
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24: Welcome Coolness in the Heat, Comfort in the Midst of Woe. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

“I am your wife,” I whispered, my lips brushing his.

“I ken that,” he said very softly, and kissed me. Softly. Then closed his eyes and brushed his lips across my face, not so much kissing as feeling the contours of cheekbone and brow, of jaw and the tender skin below the ear, seeking to know me again past skin and breath, to know me to the blood and bone, to the heart that beat beneath.

Last edited by author: Sun October 19, 2014 03:16:08   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Quote of the day October 18, 2014 -- BrandyC, 07:08:33 10/18/14 Sat
    The following quote was taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood, by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 137 In the Wilderness A Lodging Place. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"I've brought ye home, Sassenach." He said, his voice a little husky. "It willna be the same—and I canna say how things will be now—but I've kept my word."
    My throat was so choked I could barely whisper "Thank you." We stood for a long moment, clasped tight together, summoning up the strength to go around the last corner and look at what had been, and what might be.
    Something brushed the hem of my skirt, and I looked down, expecting that a late cone from the big spruce we were standing by had fallen.
    A large gray cat looked up at me with big, calm eyes of celadon green and dropped a fat, hairy, very dead wood rat at my feet.
    "Oh, god!" I said, burst into tears.

Thanks everyone, this week has been fun! It was hard to choose, there were so many I wanted to use.

Last edited by author: Sat October 18, 2014 08:30:38   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day October 17, 2014 -- BrandyC, 05:23:44 10/17/14 Fri
    The following Quote is taken from Written on My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 136 Unfinished Buisness. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

"Are you sorry for it?" He said, and made no effort to keep his voice from shaking. "Are you sorry for it, damn you?"
    Fraser had turned away; now he turned sharply to face William but didn't speak at once. When he did, his voice was low and firm.
    "She died because of it, and I shall sorrow for her death and do penance for my part in it until my own dying day. But—". He compressed his lips for an instant, and then, too fast for William to back away, came around the table and, raising his hand, cupped William's cheek, the touch light and fierce.
    "No," he whispered. "No! I am not sorry." The he whirled on his heel, threw open the door, and was gone, kilt flying.

Replies:

• Quote of the day October 16, 2014 -- BrandyC, 00:37:37 10/16/14 Thu
    The following quote was taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood, by Daina Gabaldon, chapter, 115 The raveled Sleeve Of Care. Copyright (c) 2014. All rights reserved.

Ian rose and went to him swiftly, knelt on the floor beside the body of his dog, and laid a gentle hand on the big furry head. He didn't say anything, or weep, but she heard the sound he made when he breathed, as of something tearing in his chest. She got out of bed and came to Ian, kneeling beside him, arm about his waist, and she was weeping, quite without meaning to.
    "Mo chu," Ian said, running his hand lightly over the soft, thick fur. "Mo chuilean." There was a catch in his voice when he said, "Beannachd leat, a charaid." Goodbye, old friend.
    Then he sat back on his heels, took a deep breath, and clasped Rachel's hand very hard. "He waited, I think. Until he kent ye were here for me."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day October 15, 2014 -- BrandyC, 23:39:08 10/14/14 Tue
    The following quote was taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 57 Do not go gentle into the that good night. Copyright (c) 2014, by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"I think ye already ken ye should be gentle about it, aye?"
    "Aye, I'd thought of that," Ian assured him. "Nothing else?"
    "Aye, well." Jamie stood still, considering. "The only useful thing was what my wife told me on the night. 'Go slowly and pay attention.' I think ye canna go far wrong wi' that." He settled his coat on his shoulders. "Oidhche mhath, Ian. I'll see ye at first light—if not before."
    "Oidhche mhath, Uncle Jamie."
    As Jamie reached the edge of the clearing, Ian called after him.
    "Uncle Jamie!"
    Jamie turned to look over his shoulder.
    "Aye?"
    "And was she gentle with ye?"
    "God, no,", Jamie said, and grinned broadly.

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Tuesday October 14, 2014 -- BrandyC, 05:34:43 10/14/14 Tue
    The following quote was taken from Written in my Own Heart's Blood, Chapter 42, All My Love, by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright (c) 2014, by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

And...there's him. Your mother said that Fraser sent her back to me, knowing that I would protect her—and you. She thought that he died immediately afterward. He did not. I looked for him, and found him. And, like him, perhaps I send you back, knowing—as he knew of me—that he will protect you with his life.
    I will love you forever, Brianna. And I know whose child you truly are.
    With all my love,
    Dad

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday October 13, 2014. -- BrandyC, 03:31:17 10/13/14 Mon
    The following quote was taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood, Chapter 82, By Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014, by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Take off your coat and waistcoat, lad," Jamie said abruptly. The boy looked completely bewildered, but—stimulated by a menacing movement from Bixby—did as he was told. Jamie took him by the shoulder, turned him around, and said, "Stand still, aye?"
    Stooping swiftly, he scooped a handful of the horrifying puddle of bloody mud and, standing, wrote carefully on the messenger's white back with a finger: I resign my commission. J. Fraser.
    He made to fling the remnants of mud away but, after a moment's hesitation, added a smeared and reluctant Sir at the top of the message, then clapped the boy on the shoulder,
    "Go and show that to General Lee," he said. The lieutenant went pale.

Last edited by author: Mon October 13, 2014 03:32:33   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day Sunday October 12, 2014 -- BrandyC, 07:37:17 10/12/14 Sun
    The following quote was taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood, by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014, by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

"Hello, the house!"

Sorry so late today, my book is missing, but this quote I know for sure! One of my favorite line in the book. I'll find the book today!

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, October 11, 2014 -- CindyG, 08:47:14 10/11/14 Sat
    So sorry I didn't post this last night! As always, it's been an honor to post this week. Thank you for all of your comments.

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 15, "Revelations of the Bridal Chamber." Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Sometime in our third encounter, I arched tightly against him and cried out. He drew back at once, startled and apologetic.
    'I’m sorry,' he said. 'I didna mean to hurt ye.'
    'You didn’t.' I stretched languorously, feeling dreamily wonderful.
    'Are you sure?' he said, inspecting me for damage. Suddenly it dawned on me that a few of the finer points had likely been left out of his hasty education at the hands of Murtagh and Rupert.
    'Does it happen every time?'he asked, fascinated, once I had enlightened him. I felt rather like the Wife of Bath, or a Japanese geisha. I had never envisioned myself as an instructress in the arts of love, but I had to admit to myself that the role held certain attractions.
    'No, not every time,' I said, amused. 'Only if the man is a good lover.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, October 10, 2014 -- CindyG, 20:32:49 10/09/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 15, "Revelations of the Bridal Chamber." Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“'Was it like you thought it would be?' I asked curiously. He chuckled, making a deep rumble under my ear.
    'Almost; I had thought— nay, never mind.'
    'No, tell me. What did you think?'
    'I’m no goin’ to tell ye; ye’ll laugh at me.'
    'I promise not to laugh. Tell me.' He caressed my hair, smoothing the curls back from my ear.
    'Oh, all right. I didna realize that ye did it face to face. I thought ye must do it the back way, like; like horses, ye know.'
    It was a struggle to keep my promise, but I didn’t laugh."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 9, 2014 -- CindyG, 20:50:57 10/08/14 Wed

“'Take off your shirt,' I said, sitting up and pulling at the hem of the garment.
    'Why?' he asked, but sat up and obliged. I knelt in front of him, admiring his naked body.
    'Because I want to look at you,' I said. He was beautifully made, with long graceful bones and flat muscles that flowed smoothly from the curves of chest and shoulder to the slight concavities of belly and thigh. He raised his eyebrows.
    'Well then, fair’s fair. Take off yours, then.' He reached out and helped me squirm out of the wrinkled chemise, pushing it down over my hips. Once it was off, he held me by the waist, studying me with intense interest. I grew almost embarrassed as he looked me over.
    'Haven’t you ever seen a naked woman before?' I asked.
    'Aye, but not one so close.' His face broke into a broad grin. 'And not one that’s mine.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 8, 2014 -- CindyG, 23:03:03 10/07/14 Tue

“'You are not going to hurt me,' I said impatiently. 'And if you did, I wouldn’t mind.' Seeing puzzled incomprehension on his face, I decided to show him what I meant.
    'What are you doing?' he asked, shocked.
    'Just what it looks like. Hold still.' After a few moments, I began to use my teeth, pressing progressively harder until he drew in his breath with a sharp hiss. I stopped.
    'Did I hurt you?' I asked.
    'Yes. A little.' He sounded half- strangled.
    'Do you want me to stop?'
    'No!'
    I went on, being deliberately rough, until he suddenly convulsed, with a groan that sounded as though I had torn his heart out by the roots. He lay back, quivering and breathing heavily. He muttered something in Gaelic, eyes closed.
    'What did you say?'
    'I said,' he answered, opening his eyes, 'I thought my heart was going to burst.'
    I grinned, pleased with myself. 'Oh, Murtagh and company didn’t tell you about that, either?'
    'Aye, they did. That was one of the things I didn’t believe.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, October 7, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:20:51 10/06/14 Mon

“'I want to ask ye something,' he said, running a hand down the length of my back.
    'What’s that?'
    'Did ye like it?' he said, a little shyly.
    'Yes, I did,' I said, quite honestly.
    'Oh. I thought ye did, though Murtagh told me that women generally do not care for it, so I should finish as soon as I could.'
    'What would Murtagh know about it?' I said indignantly. 'The slower the better, as far as most women are concerned.”
    Jamie chuckled again. 'Well, you’d know better than Murtagh.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, October 6, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:07:25 10/05/14 Sun

"Suddenly he lifted me in his arms and sat down on the bed, holding me on his lap. He spoke a little hoarsely.
    'Tell me if I’m too rough, or tell me to stop altogether, if ye wish. Anytime until we are joined; I dinna think I can stop after that.'
    In answer, I put my hands behind his neck and pulled him down on top of me. I guided him to the slippery cleft between my legs.
    'Holy God,' said James Fraser, who never took the name of his Lord in vain. 'Don’t stop now,' I said."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, October 5, 2014 -- CindyG, 17:43:37 10/04/14 Sat
    Watching the wedding on TV made me decide what to use this week. This whole chapter is fantastic, hard to choose just 7 quotes!

"Dougal took me by the arm as I started for the stairs to freshen myself before eating. 'I want this marriage consummated, wi’ no uncertainty whatsoever,' Dougal instructed me firmly in an undertone. 'There’s to be no question of it bein’ a legal union, and no way open for annulment, or we’re all riskin’ our necks.'
    'Seems to me you’re doing that anyway,' I remarked crossly. 'Mine, especially.'
    Dougal patted me firmly on the rump. 'Dinna ye worry about that; ye just do your part.'
    He looked me over critically, as though judging my capacity to perform my role adequately.
    'I kent Jamie’s father. If the lad’s much like him, ye’ll have no trouble at all.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, October 4, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 16:39:55 10/03/14 Fri
    This has been a great week. I enjoyed it so much. I hope you all liked my selections. Thank you for your kind comments. As you can tell, I love to hear Jamie's thoughts.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 59. In Which Much Is Revealed.
    Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“What is he like?” I asked softly. “Your son?”

He smiled slightly, without opening his eyes.

“He’s spoilt and stubborn,” he said softly. “Ill-mannered. Loud. Wi’ a wicked temper.” He swallowed. “And braw and bonny and canty and strong,” he said, so softly I could barely hear him.

“And yours,” I said. His hand tightened on mine, holding it against the soft stubble of his cheek.

“And mine,” he said. He took a deep breath, and I could see the glitter of tears under his closed lids.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, October 3, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 16:32:41 10/02/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 56. Turtle Soup.

“You really think that,” I said slowly. “That you don’t have a choice about it. Don’t you?”

He was turned slightly away from me, eyes fixed on the port. The sun shone on the bridge of his long, straight nose and he rubbed a finger slowly up and down it. The broad shoulders rose slightly, and fell.

“I’m a man, Sassenach,” he said, very softly. “If I thought there was a choice . . . then I maybe couldna do it. Ye dinna need to be so brave about things if ye ken ye canna help it, aye?” He looked at me then, with a faint smile. “Like a woman in childbirth, aye? Ye must do it, and it makes no difference if you’re afraid – ye’ll do it. It’s only when ye ken ye can say no that it takes courage.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 2, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 20:17:09 10/01/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 44. Forces Of Nature.

“Torn between shame and need, he would wait in the dark, breathing in the stale and brutish scent of the surrounding men, listening to the murmurous breath of his companions, until the stealthy sounds nearby told him that the telltale clinking of his irons would be ignored.

“If there’s one thing I ken very well, Sassenach,” he said quietly, with a brief glance at Fergus, “it’s the sound of a man makin’ love to a woman who’s not there.”

He shrugged and jerked his hands suddenly, spreading them wide on the rail, bursting his invisible chains. He looked down at me then with a half smile, and I saw the dark memories at the back of his eyes, under the mocking humor.

I saw too the terrible need there, the desire strong enough to have endured loneliness and degradation, squalor and separation."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 1, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 16:25:19 09/30/14 Tue
    Here is a quote for Wednesday that I've never seen posted before. It's subtle . . . but it's getting warm in here.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 40. I Shall Go Down To The Sea.

“Jamie’s eyes were still fixed on me, ignoring Jared’s soliloquy about ship’s biscuit and candles. His foot nudged mine in silent inquiry, and I pressed back in answer.

“Aye, I’ll see to it in the morning,” he said in reply to a question from Jared. “But for now, Cousin, I think I shall retire. It’s been a long day.” He pushed back his chair, stood up, and held out his arm to me.

“Will ye join me, Claire?”

I stood up, the wine rushing through my limbs, making me feel warm all over and slightly giddy. Our eyes met with a perfect understanding. There was more than respect between us now, and room for all our secrets to be known, in good time.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, September 30, 2014 -- -- -- CathyS, 16:31:23 09/29/14 Mon

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 41. We Set Sail.

“In the usual fashion of a man feeling unwell, Jamie had managed to arrange his surroundings to be as depressing and uncomfortable as possible. The tiny cabin was dank and squalid, the cramped berth covered with a cloth so as to exclude both light and air, and half-piled with a tangle of clammy blankets and unwashed clothes.

“Rise and shine,” I said cheerfully. I set down the tray and pulled off the makeshift curtain, which appeared to be one of Fergus’s shirts. What light there was came from a large prism embedded in the deck overhead. It struck the berth, illuminating a countenance of ghastly pallor and baleful mien.

He opened one eye an eighth of an inch.

“Go away,” he said, and shut it again.”

Last edited by author: Mon September 29, 2014 16:32:08   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, September 29, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 16:20:27 09/28/14 Sun

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27. Up in Flames.

“I’m hale enough,” he said. “And with luck, may be so for a good many years yet – but not forever, Sassenach. I ha’ fought wi’ sword and dirk many times, but to every warrior comes the day when his strength will fail him.” He shook his head and stretched out a hand toward his coat, which lay on the floor.
    “I took these, that day wi’ Tom Gage, to remind me of it,” he said.

He took my hand and put into it the things he had taken from his pocket. They were cool, and hard to the touch, small heavy oblongs of lead. I didn’t need to feel the incised ends to know what the letters on the type slugs were.

“Q.E.D.,” I said.

“The English took my sword and dirk away,” he said softly. His finger touched the slugs that lay in my palm. “But Tom Gage put a weapon into my hands again, and I think I shall not lay it down.”

Last edited by author: Sun September 28, 2014 17:45:00   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, September 28, 2014 -- CathyS, 16:27:54 09/27/14 Sat
    I originally selected this because it's lovely, but then realized it was very appropriate for Sunday. I hope you enjoy it.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 48. "Moment of Grace"

“It had happened many times before, but it always took me by surprise. Always in the midst of great stress, wading waist-deep in trouble and sorrow, as doctors do, I would glance out a window, open a door, look into a face, and there it would be, unexpected and unmistakable. A moment of peace.

The light spread from the sky to the ship, and the great horizon was no longer a blank threat of emptiness, but the habitation of joy. For a moment, I lived in the center of the sun, warmed and cleansed, and the smell and sight of sickness fell away; the bitterness lifted from my heart.

I never looked for it, gave it no name; yet I knew it always, when the gift of peace came. I stood quite still for the moment that it lasted, thinking it strange and not strange that grace should find me here, too.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, September 27, 2014 -- Lee, 20:49:38 09/26/14 Fri
    This was a very enjoyable wee stramash. One of my favourite Jamie and Claire moments. :)

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 17, Possession. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“And what would ye do if I had lain wi’ a whore, Sassenach? Slap my face? Order me out of your chamber? Keep yourself from my bed?”

I turned and looked at him.

“I’d kill you,” I said through my teeth.

Both eyebrows shot up, and his mouth dropped slightly with incredulity.

“Kill me? God, if I found you wi’ another man, I’d kill him.” He paused, and one corner of his mouth quirked wryly.

“Mind ye,” he said, “I’d no be verra pleased wi’ you, either, but still, it’s him I’d kill.”

Replies:

• Why Jamie can't kill BJR -- SHIRLEY, 10:27:42 09/26/14 Fri
    Re - reading Outlander while watching it on Starz and I realized that if Jamie killed Black Jack Randall and Frank wasn't born then Claire would never be in Scotland on her 2nd honeymoon. Then she wouldn't have met Jamie. Not foreshadowing events in later books to disprove this revelation. It has taken 20+ years and I lost count of how many times I've read these book to have this epiphany.

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, September 26, 2014 -- Lee, 21:31:11 09/25/14 Thu
    When I first read this, I got chills. I really wasn't expecting it, and I guess it was my second "if you didn't see them go GAK" moments.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 60, The Scent of Gemstones. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Kept your girlish figure, I see, Claire.” Her head was tilted to one side, green eyes gleaming with amusement.

I was too paralyzed with surprise to respond aloud, but the thought drifted through my stunned mind that I couldn’t say the same for her.

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, September 25, 2014 -- Lee, 20:36:05 09/24/14 Wed
    This passage always touched me a bit. Interesting character, Aunt Jocasta.

The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 110, The Smell of Light. Copyright (c) 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “He’s gone, isn’t he?” Startled, I turned around to look at her, realizing that she must have heard the closing of the door below.

“Ulysses? Yes, I think so.”

She was still for quite a while, the cigarette burning unregarded in her hand. Just before I thought I must rise and take it from her, she lifted it again to her lips.

“His true name was Joseph,” she said softly, releasing the smoke. Wisps of it swirled slowly in a cloud around her head. “So appropriate, I always thought – for he was sold into slavery by his own people.”

“Have you ever seen his face?” I asked suddenly. She shook her head, and ground out the last of the cigarette.

“Nay, but I kent him always,” she said very softly. “He smelled of light.”

Replies:

• SURVEY! -- Judie, 11:32:16 09/24/14 Wed
    So - it's been about three months since MOBY was released. People are getting a little antsy about starting to quote from it. :)

Who has read it - who hasn't? Just want to get an idea.

Thanks.

Judie

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, September 24, 2014 -- Lee, 22:03:46 09/23/14 Tue
    This is one we've had dozens of times on here, but for me it never gets old. *bg*

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 56, Turtle Soup. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ I didn’t wait for him to remove his shirt; just lifted it and took him. He made a strangled sound and his hands came down on my head as though he wanted to restrain me, but hadn’t the strength.

“Oh, Lord!” he said. His hands tightened in my hair, but he wasn’t trying to push me away. “This must be what it’s like to make love in Hell,” he whispered. “With a burning she-devil.”

I laughed, which was extremely difficult under the circumstances. I choked, and pulled back a moment, breathless.

“Is this what a succubus does, do you think?” “

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, September 23, 2014. -- Lee, 21:09:07 09/22/14 Mon
    I like the way Claire can say pretty much anything to Jamie. :)

The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 9, The Threshold of War. Copyright (c) 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ I frowned, tapping a finger on the countertop.

“His chief difficulty is that he doesn’t shit,” I said. “Not often enough, I mean, and not with the proper consistency. Horrible diet,” I said, pointing an accusatory finger at him. “He told me. Bread, meat and ale. No vegetables, no fruit. Constipation is absolutely rife in the British army, I don’t doubt. I shouldn’t be surprised if every man jack of them has piles hanging out of his arse like grape clusters!”

Jamie nodded, one eyebrow raised.

“There are many things I admire about you, Sassenach – especially the delicate manner of your conversation.” "

Last edited by author: Mon September 22, 2014 21:40:52   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, September 22, 2014 -- Lee, 16:10:48 09/21/14 Sun
    Posting quite early today as we're heading out shortly to take my parents out for a birthday dinner. I'll forget later, so it's better to be too early than to wake up at 3 am realizing I didn't do it!

The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 17, Watchfire. Copyright (c) 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “I didn’t think you would. Can’t see you as part of a mob.”

He kissed her ear, not to reply directly. He could see himself as part of a mob, all too easily. That was what frightened him. He knew much too well the strength of it.

One Highlander was a warrior, but the mightiest man was only a man. It was the madness that took men together that had ruled the glens for a thousand years; that thrill of the blood, when you heard the shrieks of your companions, felt the strength of the whole bear you up like wings and knew immortality – for if you should fall of yourself, still you would be carried on, your spirit shrieking in the mouths of those who ran beside you. It was only later, when the blood lay cold in limp veins, and deaf ears heard the women weeping… “

Last edited by author: Mon September 22, 2014 10:11:04   Edited 3 times.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, Sept 21, 2014 -- Lee, 19:25:24 09/20/14 Sat
    My quotes this week are going to be pretty random. That’s one of the beauties of this series – you can pick any book, open a chapter at random, and somewhere in there you will find a gem. Or something that just tickles you for no reason.

The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 22, Spark of an Ancient Flame. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ No, it was them; the sick certainty filled his chest and squeezed his throat with grief. His eyes stung and the ornate eighteenth-century typeface blurred again.

So, she had found him, Claire. Found her gallant Highlander, and enjoyed at least a few years with him. He hoped they had been good years. He had liked Claire Randall very much – no, that was to damn her with faint praise. If he were truthful, he had loved her, and for her own sake as well as her daughter’s.

More than that. He had wanted badly for her to find her Jamie Fraser, to live happily ever after with him. “

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Saturday, September 20, 2014 -- ScarlettO, 21:20:54 09/19/14 Fri
    The following quote was taken from Drums of Autumn, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 42, Journey's End. Copyright 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that I wasn't alone. Damn, and I'd left my knife on the table inside!

"Sassenach." My heart nearly stopped at the sound of Jamie's voice. I spun toward it, relief being rapidly overcome by annoyance. What did he think he ---

For a split second, I thought I was seeing double. They were sitting on the bench outside the door, side by side, the afternoon sun igniting their hair like matchheads.

My eye focused on Jamie's face, alight with joy - then shifted right.

"Mama."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Friday, September 19, 2014 -- ScarlettO, 19:59:31 09/18/14 Thu
    The following quote was taken from Dragonfly in Amber, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1, Mustering the Roll. Copyright 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

In the other twin bed, Brianna made a small whuffling noise and rolled over in her sleep, leaving long strands of red hair draped across her dreaming face. One long, bare foot protrueded from the bedclothes, and I pulled the blanket gently over it.

The impulse to touch a sleeping child never fades, no matter that the child is a good deal larger than her mother, and a woman - if a young one - in her own right. I smoothed the hair back from her face and stroked the crown of her head. She smiled in her sleep, a brief reflex of contentment, gone as soon as it appeared. My own smile lingered as I watched her, and whispered to her sleep-deaf ears,m as I had so many times before, "God, you are so like him."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, September 18, 2014 -- ScarlettO, 17:17:24 09/17/14 Wed
    The following quote was taken from Drums of Autumn, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 50, In Which All is Revealed. Copyright 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Ye've only the twa choices now, Auntie," he murmured in my ear. "Douse them both wi' a pan o' cold water, or come away with me and leave them to it. I've seen Uncle Jamie and my Mam go at it before. Believe me, ye dinna want to step between two Frasers wi' their dander up. My Da says he's tried once or twice, and got the scars to prove it."

I took a final glance at the situation and gave up. He was right; they were nose to nose, red hair bristling and eyes slitted like a couple of bobcats, circling, spitting and snarling. I could have set the hay on fire, and neither one would have spared an instant's notice.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, September 17, 2014 -- ScarlettO, 17:35:21 09/16/14 Tue
    The following quote was taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21, We Have Ignition. Copyright 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Now see what you've done, you interfering busybody! That was his last clean shirt! And how dare you talk about our private lives with everybody in sight, what possible earthly business of yours is it, you beastly old gossiping--"

Seeing the futility of protest, Roger put his arms round her from behind, picked her up bodily off the floor, and carried her out the back door, this departure accented by incoherent protests from Bree and grunts of pain from Roger, as she kicked him repeatedly in the shins, with considerable force and accuracy.

I went to the door and closed it delicately, shutting off the sounds of further altercation in the yard.

"She gets that from you, you know," I said reproachfully, sitting down opposite Jamie.

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Tuesday, September 26, 2004 -- ScarlettO, 05:41:05 09/16/14 Tue
    The following quote was taken from The Fiery Cross, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 20, Shooting Lessons. Copyright 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Seen from the back, her ruddy hair clubbed tightly back, and clad in a loose buckskin hunting shirt that covered her from shoulder to thigh, her resemblance to her father was intensified to a startling degree. No mistaking the two, though, he thought. Breeks or no, Jamie Fraser had never in life had an arse like that.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, September 15: -- ScarlettO, 21:20:41 09/14/14 Sun
    The following quote was taken from The Fiery Cross, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 20, Shooting Lessons. Copyright 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

The gun flew through the air. Brianna caught it, flipped a cartridge from the box on her belt, and was grimly reloading and ramming as the last turkey ran toward Roger, zigged away, saw her, zagged the other direction, and finally zoomed between them, gobbling alarms and imprecations.

She swung around, sighted on it as it left the ground, caught the black blob outlined for a split second against the brilliant sky, and blasted it in the tail feathers. It dropped like a sack of coal, and hit the ground forty yards away with an audible thud.

Replies:

• The following quote was taken from The Fiery Cross, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 22, The Fiery Cross. Copyright 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved. -- ScarlettO, 20:59:36 09/13/14 Sat
    This came under the heading of more than enough, and I rounded on Mrs. Chisholm with fire in my eye. She shrank back, dropping the broom.

"Ha! Ye pert trull! You and----"

Mrs. Bug's shrill cries behind me were suddenly silenced, and I whirled round again to see Brianna, who had evidently run round the house and come in through the kitchen, holding the diminutive Mrs. Bug well off the floor, one arm round her middle, the other hand firmly pressed across her mouth. Mrs. Bug's tiny feet kicked wildly, her eyes bulging above the muffling hand. Bree rolled her eyes at me, and retreated through the kitchen door, carrying her captive.

Replies:

• Quote if the day Saturday September 13, 2014 -- BrandyC, 00:34:29 09/13/14 Sat
    The following quote was taken from An Echo In The Bone, by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 72 The Feast Of All Saints. Copyright 2009, by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

My Dearest,
    Your Brother is alive, and unwounded. I saw him march out from Saratoga with his Troops, bound for Boston and eventually England. He will not fight again in this War. Deo Gratias.
    Your most loving Father,
    JF
    Postscriptum: It is the Feast of All Saints. Pray for me.

The nuns had always told them—and she'd told him. By saying an Our Father, a Hail Mary, and a Glory Be on the Feast of All Saints, you can obtain the release of a soul from purgatory.
    "You bloody man," she muttered, sniffing ferociously and fumbling in her desk for a tissue. "I knew you'd make me cry. Again."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day Thursday September 11, 2014 -- BrandyC, 23:52:01 09/10/14 Wed
    The following quote was taken from Fiery Cross, by Diana Gabaldon,Chapter 18, No Place Like Home. Copyright 2001, by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

"Sorcha," he called softly, and she turned, eyes narrowed against the rays of the snaking sun, then wide and gold with surprise at the sight of him.
    "Welcome home," he said, and held out the small bouquet of leaves and twigs.
    "Oh," she said. She looked at the bits of leaf and stick again, and then at him, and the corners of her mouth trembled, as though she might laugh or cry, but wasn't sure which. She reached then, and took the plants from him, her fingers small and cold as they brushed his hand.
    "Oh, Jamie-they're wonderful." She came up on her toes and kissed him, warm and salty, and he wanted more, but she was hurrying away into the house, the silly wee things clasped to her breast as though they were gold.

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of October 19 - LaurieS
    Week of October 26 - Rita the FW :)
    Week of November 2 - Lady Linda
    Week of November 9 - Betsy Barefootspinner
    Week of November 16 - kgp
    Week of November 23 - LexyG
    Week of November 30 - LisaW
    Week of December 7 - HappieApple
    Week of December 14 -
    Week of December 21 -
    Week of December 28 -
    Week of January 4 -

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.