VoyForums

Friday, October 31, 03:08:37pmVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

The book discussions are NOW INCLUDING MOBY!
If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Welcome Board Books/QOTD Board Social Board Lallypalooza Polls and Surveys
The Kirk Joke Board Reading Recommendations Scotland Travel Tips Board Literary Forum Board
Ladies of Lallybroch Home 

Page LoL FAQ HTML Practice Board Voy Tips
Starz Outlander Series Board DG New Releases

Contact Forum Admin

• QOTD for Friday, October 31, 2014 -- Rita, 03:53:34 10/31/14 Fri
    Halloween. From ghoulies and ghosties / And long-leggedy beasties / And things that go bump in the night, / Good Lord, deliver us!   -- If John only knew...

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 28: Amplexus. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Ye dinna want to look upon them,” he said. “If ye do, they can call ye to them. Cast their glamour upon you. And then ye’re lost.”

“Do they kill people?”

Fraser shook his head.

“They take people,” he corrected. “Lure them. Take them back into the rocks, down to their ain world. Sometimes”—he cleared his throat—“sometimes, the stolen ones come back. But they come back two hundred years later. And all—all they knew and loved—are dead.”

“How terrible,” John said quietly. He could hear Fraser’s breathing, heavy, like a man struggling against tears, and wondered why this aspect of the tale should move him so.

[ Post a Reply to this Message ][ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Diana tweeted today that there may be 10 books in the series, rather than ending with #9. I hope I live to see the series end. :) -- CarolSR, 12:04:26 10/30/14 Thu

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 30, 2014 -- Rita, 03:42:14 10/30/14 Thu
    This made me really happy -- such a special occasion. Even now, they don't always use their christian names when addressing each other.

AN CATH NACH TAINIG / THE BATTLE TO COME

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32: Duello. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

To his astonishment, Fraser smiled at him.

“It will be my pleasure to avenge ye, my lord. If necessary.”

“Call me John,” he blurted. “Please.”

The Scot’s face went blank with his own astonishment. He cast down his eyes for a moment, thinking. Then he put a hand solidly on Grey’s shoulder and said something softly in the Gaelic, but in the midst of the odd, sibilant words, Grey thought he heard his father’s name. Iain mac Gerard … was that him?

The hand lifted, leaving the feel of its weight behind.

“What—” he said, but Fraser interrupted him.

“It is the blessing for a warrior going out. The blessing of Michael of the Red Domain.” His eyes met Grey’s squarely, a darker blue than the dawning sky. “May the grace of Michael Archangel strengthen your arm … John.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 29, 2014 -- Rita, 03:31:30 10/29/14 Wed
    I love the way John feels about Jamie in this scene. Just perfect, IMO.

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32: Duello. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He walked to his supporters, suffused with a sudden overwhelming affection for the three of them. The lines of the old folk song drifted through his mind: God send each noble man at his end / Such hawks, such hounds, and such a friend. He wondered briefly which was which and decided that Tom must be his faithful hound, Harry of course the friend, and Jamie Fraser his hawk, untamed and ferocious but there with him at the last.

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, October 28, 2014 -- Rita, 03:03:02 10/28/14 Tue
    Still not completely sure about everything that's being said here. In any case, I believe they're talking about much more than just the flogging.

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 21: A Poultice for Bruising. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Once more he saw the woman’s hands, gentle on Fraser’s face and body, and the big Scot turning at once to her touch, a stranger’s touch. Only because she was a woman. If he himself had ventured to touch the man …

But I have. If not directly. The open neck of the shirt had slipped back, and the faint glimmer of the scars showed once more.

Jamie’s head turned, and his eyes opened, as though he had felt the pressure of Grey’s gaze. He didn’t speak but lay quiet, meeting John’s eyes. Grey was conscious all at once of the silence; the pub’s customers had all gone home, the landlord and his family retired for the night.

“I’m sorry,” he said, very softly.

“Ego te absolvo,” Fraser murmured, and shut his eyes.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, October 27, 2014 -- Rita, 03:43:31 10/27/14 Mon
    This was not the quote I had planed for today, but Jamie and John had their own thoughts on the subject. My heart always breaks here, for Jamie -- and for John.

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13: By Darkness Met. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He was turning to creep back toward the stairs, when he heard Fraser’s voice.

“Could I but lay my head in your lap, lass,” Fraser’s voice came softly through the door. “Feel your hand on me, and sleep wi’ the scent of you about me.”

Grey’s mouth was dry, his limbs frozen. He should not be hearing this, was suffused with shame to hear it, but dared not move for fear of making a sound.

There came a rustling, as of a large body turning violently in the bed, and then a muffled sound—a gasp, a sob?—and silence. He stood still, listening to his own heart, to the ticking of the longcase clock in the hall below, to the distant sounds of the house, settling for night. A minute, by counted seconds. Two. Three, and he lifted a foot, stepping quietly back. One more step, and then heard a final murmur, a whisper so strangled that only the acuteness of his attention brought him the words.

“Christ, Sassenach. I need ye.”

He would in that moment have sold his soul to be able to offer comfort. But there was no comfort he could give, and he made his way silently down the stairs, missing the last step in the dark and coming down hard.

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, October 26, 2014 -- Rita, 03:53:12 10/26/14 Sun
    For a long time I didn't want to read The Scottish Prisoner. I guess I feared it would detract from my deep and abiding love for the first part of Voyager. Oh, me of little faith...

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1: April Fool. Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Claire was still with him, vivid in his mind, solid in his hands. He could imagine that he smelled her hair in the scent of fresh hay. The memory of her mouth, those sharp white teeth … He rubbed his nipple, hard and itching beneath his shirt, and swallowed.
    His eyes were long accustomed to the dark; he found the vacant loose box at the end of the row and leaned against its boards, cock already in his fist, body and mind yearning for his lost wife.
    He’d have made it last if he could, but he was fearful lest the dream go altogether, and he surged into the memory, groaning. His knees gave way in the aftermath and he slid slowly down the boards of the box into the loose piled hay, shirt rucked round his thighs and his heart pounding like a kettledrum.
    Lord, that she might be safe was his last conscious thought. She and the child.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, October 25, 2014 -- LollyS, 03:19:00 10/25/14 Sat
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 99: Radar. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

“Was he like Grandda? Grandpa Frank?” She’d told the kids little things about Frank Randall, not wanting him to be forgotten, but she knew he’d never be much more than a faint ghost beside the vivid warmth of their other grandfather—the grandfather they might have back. She felt a sudden small tearing in her heart, a vivid second of understanding for her mother.

Oh, Mama…

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, October 24, 2014 -- LollyS, 02:48:48 10/24/14 Fri
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 89: One Day, Cock of the Walk-Next Day, A Feather Duster. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

"This man is my heart and my soul,” she said simply, looking up into his face. “And he is thy own blood, whatever thee may presently feel about the fact. I trust thee to see him safe, for all our sakes.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 23, 2014 -- LollyS, 01:53:36 10/23/14 Thu
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 84: Nightfall. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

William’s heart seized, in a lump more painful than the one in his throat.

“Papa!” His father stopped abruptly, turning to look over his shoulder.

“I’m glad you’re not dead,” William blurted.

A smile blossomed slowly on his father’s battered face.
    “Me, too,” he said.

Replies:

• Shocker of all shockers.......... -- Judie, 23:05:13 10/22/14 Wed

.... the hordes aren't beating a path to my door to get signed up for QOTD, even for MOBY quotes?

Heavens to Murgatroyd! What's up with that? :D

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 21, 2014 -- LollyS, 02:36:30 10/22/14 Wed
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 65: Mosquitoes. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

He was right; it didn’t take long. He lay half on and half off me, panting, his heart beating slow and hard against my breast. I had my legs wrapped round him—I could feel the flutter of tiny insects on my ankles and bare feet as they swarmed, avid for his unprotected bare flesh—and didn’t mean to let me go. I squeezed him close, rocking gently, slippery and tingling and --- I didn’t take long, either. My quivering legs relaxed, releasing him.

“Shall I tell you something?” I said, after a bit of mint-scented heavy breathing. “The mosquitoes won’t bite your cock.”

“I dinna mind if they carry me off to their lair to feed their bairns,” he murmured. “Come here, Sassenach.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, October 21, 2014 -- LollyS, 03:21:32 10/21/14 Tue
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 29: Return to Lallybroch. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

Mandy. Oh, my sweet baby. Mandy. Bree. Jem. All at once, the enormity of it struck him. He’d managed so far to ignore it by concentrating on the need to find Jem, but now a cold wind whistled through the holes in his heart left by hurtling odds. The odds were that he would never see any of them again. And they would never know what had happened to him.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, October 20, 2014 -- LollyS, 02:36:39 10/20/14 Mon
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24: Welcome Coolness in the Heat, Comfort in the Midst of Woe. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

He sighed. “And then there was William. When Geneva died and it was my fault, it was a knife in my heart—and then William … ” His mouth softened. “The bairn cut me wide open, Sassenach. He spilled my guts out into my hands.”

I put my hand on his, and he turned it, his fingers curling over mine.

“And that bloody English sodomite bandaged me,” he said, so low I could scarcely hear him above the sound of the river. “With his friendship.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, October 19, 2014 -- LollyS, 03:09:37 10/19/14 Sun
    The following Quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24: Welcome Coolness in the Heat, Comfort in the Midst of Woe. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

“I am your wife,” I whispered, my lips brushing his.

“I ken that,” he said very softly, and kissed me. Softly. Then closed his eyes and brushed his lips across my face, not so much kissing as feeling the contours of cheekbone and brow, of jaw and the tender skin below the ear, seeking to know me again past skin and breath, to know me to the blood and bone, to the heart that beat beneath.

Last edited by author: Sun October 19, 2014 03:16:08   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Quote of the day October 18, 2014 -- BrandyC, 07:08:33 10/18/14 Sat
    The following quote was taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood, by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 137 In the Wilderness A Lodging Place. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"I've brought ye home, Sassenach." He said, his voice a little husky. "It willna be the same—and I canna say how things will be now—but I've kept my word."
    My throat was so choked I could barely whisper "Thank you." We stood for a long moment, clasped tight together, summoning up the strength to go around the last corner and look at what had been, and what might be.
    Something brushed the hem of my skirt, and I looked down, expecting that a late cone from the big spruce we were standing by had fallen.
    A large gray cat looked up at me with big, calm eyes of celadon green and dropped a fat, hairy, very dead wood rat at my feet.
    "Oh, god!" I said, burst into tears.

Thanks everyone, this week has been fun! It was hard to choose, there were so many I wanted to use.

Last edited by author: Sat October 18, 2014 08:30:38   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day October 17, 2014 -- BrandyC, 05:23:44 10/17/14 Fri
    The following Quote is taken from Written on My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 136 Unfinished Buisness. Copyright (c) 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

"Are you sorry for it?" He said, and made no effort to keep his voice from shaking. "Are you sorry for it, damn you?"
    Fraser had turned away; now he turned sharply to face William but didn't speak at once. When he did, his voice was low and firm.
    "She died because of it, and I shall sorrow for her death and do penance for my part in it until my own dying day. But—". He compressed his lips for an instant, and then, too fast for William to back away, came around the table and, raising his hand, cupped William's cheek, the touch light and fierce.
    "No," he whispered. "No! I am not sorry." The he whirled on his heel, threw open the door, and was gone, kilt flying.

Replies:

• Quote of the day October 16, 2014 -- BrandyC, 00:37:37 10/16/14 Thu
    The following quote was taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood, by Daina Gabaldon, chapter, 115 The raveled Sleeve Of Care. Copyright (c) 2014. All rights reserved.

Ian rose and went to him swiftly, knelt on the floor beside the body of his dog, and laid a gentle hand on the big furry head. He didn't say anything, or weep, but she heard the sound he made when he breathed, as of something tearing in his chest. She got out of bed and came to Ian, kneeling beside him, arm about his waist, and she was weeping, quite without meaning to.
    "Mo chu," Ian said, running his hand lightly over the soft, thick fur. "Mo chuilean." There was a catch in his voice when he said, "Beannachd leat, a charaid." Goodbye, old friend.
    Then he sat back on his heels, took a deep breath, and clasped Rachel's hand very hard. "He waited, I think. Until he kent ye were here for me."

Replies:

• Quote of the Day October 15, 2014 -- BrandyC, 23:39:08 10/14/14 Tue
    The following quote was taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 57 Do not go gentle into the that good night. Copyright (c) 2014, by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"I think ye already ken ye should be gentle about it, aye?"
    "Aye, I'd thought of that," Ian assured him. "Nothing else?"
    "Aye, well." Jamie stood still, considering. "The only useful thing was what my wife told me on the night. 'Go slowly and pay attention.' I think ye canna go far wrong wi' that." He settled his coat on his shoulders. "Oidhche mhath, Ian. I'll see ye at first light—if not before."
    "Oidhche mhath, Uncle Jamie."
    As Jamie reached the edge of the clearing, Ian called after him.
    "Uncle Jamie!"
    Jamie turned to look over his shoulder.
    "Aye?"
    "And was she gentle with ye?"
    "God, no,", Jamie said, and grinned broadly.

Replies:

• Quote of the day for Tuesday October 14, 2014 -- BrandyC, 05:34:43 10/14/14 Tue
    The following quote was taken from Written in my Own Heart's Blood, Chapter 42, All My Love, by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright (c) 2014, by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

And...there's him. Your mother said that Fraser sent her back to me, knowing that I would protect her—and you. She thought that he died immediately afterward. He did not. I looked for him, and found him. And, like him, perhaps I send you back, knowing—as he knew of me—that he will protect you with his life.
    I will love you forever, Brianna. And I know whose child you truly are.
    With all my love,
    Dad

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday October 13, 2014. -- BrandyC, 03:31:17 10/13/14 Mon
    The following quote was taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood, Chapter 82, By Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014, by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Take off your coat and waistcoat, lad," Jamie said abruptly. The boy looked completely bewildered, but—stimulated by a menacing movement from Bixby—did as he was told. Jamie took him by the shoulder, turned him around, and said, "Stand still, aye?"
    Stooping swiftly, he scooped a handful of the horrifying puddle of bloody mud and, standing, wrote carefully on the messenger's white back with a finger: I resign my commission. J. Fraser.
    He made to fling the remnants of mud away but, after a moment's hesitation, added a smeared and reluctant Sir at the top of the message, then clapped the boy on the shoulder,
    "Go and show that to General Lee," he said. The lieutenant went pale.

Last edited by author: Mon October 13, 2014 03:32:33   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• Quote of the Day Sunday October 12, 2014 -- BrandyC, 07:37:17 10/12/14 Sun
    The following quote was taken from Written In My Own Heart's Blood, by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2014, by Diana Gabaldon. All Rights Reserved.

"Hello, the house!"

Sorry so late today, my book is missing, but this quote I know for sure! One of my favorite line in the book. I'll find the book today!

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, October 11, 2014 -- CindyG, 08:47:14 10/11/14 Sat
    So sorry I didn't post this last night! As always, it's been an honor to post this week. Thank you for all of your comments.

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 15, "Revelations of the Bridal Chamber." Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Sometime in our third encounter, I arched tightly against him and cried out. He drew back at once, startled and apologetic.
    'I’m sorry,' he said. 'I didna mean to hurt ye.'
    'You didn’t.' I stretched languorously, feeling dreamily wonderful.
    'Are you sure?' he said, inspecting me for damage. Suddenly it dawned on me that a few of the finer points had likely been left out of his hasty education at the hands of Murtagh and Rupert.
    'Does it happen every time?'he asked, fascinated, once I had enlightened him. I felt rather like the Wife of Bath, or a Japanese geisha. I had never envisioned myself as an instructress in the arts of love, but I had to admit to myself that the role held certain attractions.
    'No, not every time,' I said, amused. 'Only if the man is a good lover.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, October 10, 2014 -- CindyG, 20:32:49 10/09/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 15, "Revelations of the Bridal Chamber." Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“'Was it like you thought it would be?' I asked curiously. He chuckled, making a deep rumble under my ear.
    'Almost; I had thought— nay, never mind.'
    'No, tell me. What did you think?'
    'I’m no goin’ to tell ye; ye’ll laugh at me.'
    'I promise not to laugh. Tell me.' He caressed my hair, smoothing the curls back from my ear.
    'Oh, all right. I didna realize that ye did it face to face. I thought ye must do it the back way, like; like horses, ye know.'
    It was a struggle to keep my promise, but I didn’t laugh."

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 9, 2014 -- CindyG, 20:50:57 10/08/14 Wed

“'Take off your shirt,' I said, sitting up and pulling at the hem of the garment.
    'Why?' he asked, but sat up and obliged. I knelt in front of him, admiring his naked body.
    'Because I want to look at you,' I said. He was beautifully made, with long graceful bones and flat muscles that flowed smoothly from the curves of chest and shoulder to the slight concavities of belly and thigh. He raised his eyebrows.
    'Well then, fair’s fair. Take off yours, then.' He reached out and helped me squirm out of the wrinkled chemise, pushing it down over my hips. Once it was off, he held me by the waist, studying me with intense interest. I grew almost embarrassed as he looked me over.
    'Haven’t you ever seen a naked woman before?' I asked.
    'Aye, but not one so close.' His face broke into a broad grin. 'And not one that’s mine.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 8, 2014 -- CindyG, 23:03:03 10/07/14 Tue

“'You are not going to hurt me,' I said impatiently. 'And if you did, I wouldn’t mind.' Seeing puzzled incomprehension on his face, I decided to show him what I meant.
    'What are you doing?' he asked, shocked.
    'Just what it looks like. Hold still.' After a few moments, I began to use my teeth, pressing progressively harder until he drew in his breath with a sharp hiss. I stopped.
    'Did I hurt you?' I asked.
    'Yes. A little.' He sounded half- strangled.
    'Do you want me to stop?'
    'No!'
    I went on, being deliberately rough, until he suddenly convulsed, with a groan that sounded as though I had torn his heart out by the roots. He lay back, quivering and breathing heavily. He muttered something in Gaelic, eyes closed.
    'What did you say?'
    'I said,' he answered, opening his eyes, 'I thought my heart was going to burst.'
    I grinned, pleased with myself. 'Oh, Murtagh and company didn’t tell you about that, either?'
    'Aye, they did. That was one of the things I didn’t believe.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, October 7, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:20:51 10/06/14 Mon

“'I want to ask ye something,' he said, running a hand down the length of my back.
    'What’s that?'
    'Did ye like it?' he said, a little shyly.
    'Yes, I did,' I said, quite honestly.
    'Oh. I thought ye did, though Murtagh told me that women generally do not care for it, so I should finish as soon as I could.'
    'What would Murtagh know about it?' I said indignantly. 'The slower the better, as far as most women are concerned.”
    Jamie chuckled again. 'Well, you’d know better than Murtagh.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, October 6, 2014 -- CindyG, 21:07:25 10/05/14 Sun

"Suddenly he lifted me in his arms and sat down on the bed, holding me on his lap. He spoke a little hoarsely.
    'Tell me if I’m too rough, or tell me to stop altogether, if ye wish. Anytime until we are joined; I dinna think I can stop after that.'
    In answer, I put my hands behind his neck and pulled him down on top of me. I guided him to the slippery cleft between my legs.
    'Holy God,' said James Fraser, who never took the name of his Lord in vain. 'Don’t stop now,' I said."

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, October 5, 2014 -- CindyG, 17:43:37 10/04/14 Sat
    Watching the wedding on TV made me decide what to use this week. This whole chapter is fantastic, hard to choose just 7 quotes!

"Dougal took me by the arm as I started for the stairs to freshen myself before eating. 'I want this marriage consummated, wi’ no uncertainty whatsoever,' Dougal instructed me firmly in an undertone. 'There’s to be no question of it bein’ a legal union, and no way open for annulment, or we’re all riskin’ our necks.'
    'Seems to me you’re doing that anyway,' I remarked crossly. 'Mine, especially.'
    Dougal patted me firmly on the rump. 'Dinna ye worry about that; ye just do your part.'
    He looked me over critically, as though judging my capacity to perform my role adequately.
    'I kent Jamie’s father. If the lad’s much like him, ye’ll have no trouble at all.'"

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, October 4, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 16:39:55 10/03/14 Fri
    This has been a great week. I enjoyed it so much. I hope you all liked my selections. Thank you for your kind comments. As you can tell, I love to hear Jamie's thoughts.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 59. In Which Much Is Revealed.
    Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“What is he like?” I asked softly. “Your son?”

He smiled slightly, without opening his eyes.

“He’s spoilt and stubborn,” he said softly. “Ill-mannered. Loud. Wi’ a wicked temper.” He swallowed. “And braw and bonny and canty and strong,” he said, so softly I could barely hear him.

“And yours,” I said. His hand tightened on mine, holding it against the soft stubble of his cheek.

“And mine,” he said. He took a deep breath, and I could see the glitter of tears under his closed lids.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, October 3, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 16:32:41 10/02/14 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 56. Turtle Soup.

“You really think that,” I said slowly. “That you don’t have a choice about it. Don’t you?”

He was turned slightly away from me, eyes fixed on the port. The sun shone on the bridge of his long, straight nose and he rubbed a finger slowly up and down it. The broad shoulders rose slightly, and fell.

“I’m a man, Sassenach,” he said, very softly. “If I thought there was a choice . . . then I maybe couldna do it. Ye dinna need to be so brave about things if ye ken ye canna help it, aye?” He looked at me then, with a faint smile. “Like a woman in childbirth, aye? Ye must do it, and it makes no difference if you’re afraid – ye’ll do it. It’s only when ye ken ye can say no that it takes courage.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, October 2, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 20:17:09 10/01/14 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 44. Forces Of Nature.

“Torn between shame and need, he would wait in the dark, breathing in the stale and brutish scent of the surrounding men, listening to the murmurous breath of his companions, until the stealthy sounds nearby told him that the telltale clinking of his irons would be ignored.

“If there’s one thing I ken very well, Sassenach,” he said quietly, with a brief glance at Fergus, “it’s the sound of a man makin’ love to a woman who’s not there.”

He shrugged and jerked his hands suddenly, spreading them wide on the rail, bursting his invisible chains. He looked down at me then with a half smile, and I saw the dark memories at the back of his eyes, under the mocking humor.

I saw too the terrible need there, the desire strong enough to have endured loneliness and degradation, squalor and separation."

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, October 1, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 16:25:19 09/30/14 Tue
    Here is a quote for Wednesday that I've never seen posted before. It's subtle . . . but it's getting warm in here.

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 40. I Shall Go Down To The Sea.

“Jamie’s eyes were still fixed on me, ignoring Jared’s soliloquy about ship’s biscuit and candles. His foot nudged mine in silent inquiry, and I pressed back in answer.

“Aye, I’ll see to it in the morning,” he said in reply to a question from Jared. “But for now, Cousin, I think I shall retire. It’s been a long day.” He pushed back his chair, stood up, and held out his arm to me.

“Will ye join me, Claire?”

I stood up, the wine rushing through my limbs, making me feel warm all over and slightly giddy. Our eyes met with a perfect understanding. There was more than respect between us now, and room for all our secrets to be known, in good time.”

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, September 30, 2014 -- -- -- CathyS, 16:31:23 09/29/14 Mon

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 41. We Set Sail.

“In the usual fashion of a man feeling unwell, Jamie had managed to arrange his surroundings to be as depressing and uncomfortable as possible. The tiny cabin was dank and squalid, the cramped berth covered with a cloth so as to exclude both light and air, and half-piled with a tangle of clammy blankets and unwashed clothes.

“Rise and shine,” I said cheerfully. I set down the tray and pulled off the makeshift curtain, which appeared to be one of Fergus’s shirts. What light there was came from a large prism embedded in the deck overhead. It struck the berth, illuminating a countenance of ghastly pallor and baleful mien.

He opened one eye an eighth of an inch.

“Go away,” he said, and shut it again.”

Last edited by author: Mon September 29, 2014 16:32:08   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, September 29, 2014 -- -- CathyS, 16:20:27 09/28/14 Sun

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27. Up in Flames.

“I’m hale enough,” he said. “And with luck, may be so for a good many years yet – but not forever, Sassenach. I ha’ fought wi’ sword and dirk many times, but to every warrior comes the day when his strength will fail him.” He shook his head and stretched out a hand toward his coat, which lay on the floor.
    “I took these, that day wi’ Tom Gage, to remind me of it,” he said.

He took my hand and put into it the things he had taken from his pocket. They were cool, and hard to the touch, small heavy oblongs of lead. I didn’t need to feel the incised ends to know what the letters on the type slugs were.

“Q.E.D.,” I said.

“The English took my sword and dirk away,” he said softly. His finger touched the slugs that lay in my palm. “But Tom Gage put a weapon into my hands again, and I think I shall not lay it down.”

Last edited by author: Sun September 28, 2014 17:45:00   Edited 1 time.

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, September 27, 2014 -- Lee, 20:49:38 09/26/14 Fri
    This was a very enjoyable wee stramash. One of my favourite Jamie and Claire moments. :)

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 17, Possession. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“And what would ye do if I had lain wi’ a whore, Sassenach? Slap my face? Order me out of your chamber? Keep yourself from my bed?”

I turned and looked at him.

“I’d kill you,” I said through my teeth.

Both eyebrows shot up, and his mouth dropped slightly with incredulity.

“Kill me? God, if I found you wi’ another man, I’d kill him.” He paused, and one corner of his mouth quirked wryly.

“Mind ye,” he said, “I’d no be verra pleased wi’ you, either, but still, it’s him I’d kill.”

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a new public message:
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    * Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

. .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of October 19 - LaurieS
    Week of October 26 - Rita the FW :)
    Week of November 2 - Lady Linda
    Week of November 9 - Betsy Barefootspinner
    Week of November 16 - kgp
    Week of November 23 - LexyG
    Week of November 30 - LisaW
    Week of December 7 - HappieApple
    Week of December 14 - swarl
    Week of December 21 -
    Week of December 28 -
    Week of January 4 -

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.