VoyForums

Sunday, October 24, 05:22:33pmLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45678910 ]

Books Board

Here we have the Quote of the Day and book discussions. Please click HERE to learn more about Quote of the Day.
When discussing the books please keep a few guidelines in mind. Thank you.
Also, the ladies who post QOTD put a lot of love into their posts, so your interaction is highly appreciated. :)

If you have not yet read the first 8 novels, The Companion/Through The Stones, ALL the Lord John books or her short stories,
chances are you are going to encounter messages and/or QOTD passages that will contain "spoilers" in them.

Discussions regarding Diana's "in progress" works are NOT posted here.

For those who are interested in reading some of Herself's thoughts in her own words,
here is a link to her folder at the Books and Writers Community at: Compuserve.
Herself's blog: Diana Gabaldon's Blog. Diana on social media:Facebook and Twitter. Herself's YouTube channel: Voyagesoftheartemis' Channel.

How can YOU support the Ladies of Lallybroch?
Click here to find out.

Social Board and QOTD The Kirk New Releases and Starz Outlander Series Board Ladies of Lallybroch Home Page
Need Help?
LoL FAQ/Voy Tips!/HTML Practice Board

Contact Forum Admin

• QOTD for Tuesday, September 29, 2015 -- Erin McN, 22:24:36 09/28/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 62 "One Just Man." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I seldom prayed consciously when preparing for surgery, but I did look for something -- something I could not describe but always recognized: a certain quietness of soul, the detachment of mind in which I could balance on the knife-edge between ruthlessness and compassion, at once engaged in utmost intimacy with the body under my hands and capable of destroying what I touched in the name of healing.

One-and-two-and-three-and-four...

I realized with a start that my own heartbeat had slowed; the pulse in my fingertip matched that in Jamie's wrist, beat for beat, slow and strong. If I was waiting for a sign, I supposed that would do. Ready, steady, go, I thought, and picked up the scalpel.

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, September 28, 2015 -- Erin McN, 19:21:24 09/27/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 20 "The White Raven." Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Ah...do tell her she's quite welcome." I nodded cordially at the old lady, and gave her back the blue stone. She popped it into the bag and drew the string tight about its neck. Then she peered closely at me, and reaching out, drew down a curl of my hair, talking as she rubbed the lock between her fingers.

"My husband's grandmother says that you have medicine now, but you will have more. When your hair is white like hers, that is when you will find your full power."

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, September 27, 2015 -- Erin McN, 19:13:49 09/26/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 95 "The Summer Dim." Copyright (c) 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"It is dangerous for her here, without me." Fraser's eyes had momentarily lost their sharp focus; the lines of his face relaxed in exhaustion. His eyes half-closed and he sagged back. Then, suddenly, his eyes opened again.

"She is an Old One," he said. "They will kill her, if they know." Then his eyes had closed again, and he had not spoken again until the others had found them at daylight.

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, September 26th 2015 -- Gwen, 17:17:03 09/25/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 24 A Malcolm Printer. Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ ‘I've seen ye so many times,’ he said, his voice whispering warm in my ear. ‘You've come to me so often. When I dreamed sometimes. When I lay in fever. When I was so afraid and so lonely I knew I must die. When I needed you, I would always see ye, smiling, with your hair curling up about your face. But ye never spoke. And ye never touched me.’

‘I can touch you now.’ I reached up and drew my hand gently down his temple, his ear, the cheek and jaw that I could see. My hand went to the nape of his neck, under the clubbed bronze hair, and he raised his head at last, and cupped my face between his hands, love glowing strong in the dark blue eyes.

‘Dinna be afraid,’ he said softly. ‘There's the two of us now.’ “

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, September 25th 2015 -- Gwen, 22:37:09 09/24/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 49 Hindsight. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ ‘One man, a Fraser of the Master of Lovat's regiment, escaped...’ Roger repeated softly. He looked up from the stark page to see her eyes, wide and unseeing as a deer's fixed in the headlights of an oncoming car.
    ‘He meant to die on Culloden Field,’ Roger whispered. ‘But he didn't.’ “

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, September 21st 2015 -- Gwen, 22:19:18 09/20/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 46 Timor Mortis Conturbat Me. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ ‘Claire,’ he said quietly. ‘Tomorrow I will die. This child....is all that will be left of me - ever. I ask ye, Claire - I beg you - see it safe.’
    I stood still, vision blurring, and in that moment, I heard my heart break. It was a small, clean sound, like the snapping of a flower's stem.
    At last I bent my head to him, the wind grieving in my ears.
    ‘Yes,’ I whispered. ‘Yes, I'll go.’”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, September 22nd 2015 -- Gwen, 22:35:21 09/21/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 46 Timor Mortis Conturbat Me. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ ‘I will find you,’ he whispered in my ear. ‘I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you - then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

‘Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.’ “

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, September 23rd 2015 -- Gwen, 23:30:08 09/22/15 Tue

“He was hard in my hand, so stiff with the wanting that my touch made him groan in a need close to pain.

When he could wait no longer, he took me, a knife to its scabbard, and we moved hard together, pressing, wanting, needing so urgently that moment of ultimate joining, and fearing to reach it for the knowledge that beyond it lay eternal separation.“

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, September 24th 2015 -- Gwen, 16:50:11 09/23/15 Wed

“This was our final parting, and we could find no way to say goodbye.
    At last, he smiled crookedly, bent, and kissed me gently on the lips.
    ‘They say...’ he began, and stopped to clear his throat. ‘They say, in the old days, when a man would go forth to do a great deed - he would find a wisewoman, and ask her to bless him. He would stand looking forth, in the direction he would go, and she would come behind him, to say the words of prayer over him. When she had finished, he would walk straight out, and not look back, for that was ill-luck to his quest.’
    He touched my face once, and turned away, facing the open door. The sun streamed in, lighting his hair in a thousand flames. He straightened his shoulders, broad beneath his plaid, and drew a deep breath.
    ‘Bless me, then, wisewoman,’ he said softly, ‘and go.’ “

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, September 20th 2015 -- Gwen, 23:42:30 09/19/15 Sat
    It's many years since I did Quote of the Day and it was quite short notice and oh my, there are so many to choose from now! So I hope you'll forgive me for being a bit self indulgent (it is my birthday after all *g* ) and using some of my old favourites mainly from my favourite book. Hope you enjoy some oldies but goodies.

“‘D'ye think I don't know?’ he asked softly. ‘It's me that has the easy part now. For if ye feel for me as I do for you - then I'm asking you to tear out your heart and live without it.’ His hand stroked my hair, the roughness of his knuckles catching in the blowing strands.
    ‘But ye must do it, mo duinne. My brave lioness. Ye must.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, September 19, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:15:18 09/18/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 59 " In Which Much Is Revealed". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "Has he never mentioned me?" he asked softly. I wasn't sure whether the
    undertone in his voice was pain or anger. Despite myself, I felt some small
    sense of pity for him.
       "Yes, he did," I said. "He said you were his friend." He glanced up, the
    fine-cut face lightening a bit.
       "Did he?"
       "You have to understand." I said. "He--I--we were separated by war,
    the Rising. Each of us thought the other was dead. I found him again only--
    my God, was it only four months ago?" I felt staggered, and not only by the
    events of the evening. I felt as though I had lived several lifetimes since the
    day I had opened the door of the printshop in Edinburgh, to find A. Mal-
    colm bending over his press. "

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on these quotes!

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, September 17, 2015 -- LisaW, 19:11:21 09/16/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 34 "Daddy". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "Stop it!" she said. Her eyes were slanted with a horrified anger. "How
    could ye, Jamie? Rutting like a wild beast, and not carin' if all the house hears
    ye!"
       He moved off me, slowly, clumsy as a bear. Jenny snatched a quilt from
    the bed and flung it over my body.
       On all fours, he shook his head like a dog, sending droplets of water flying.
    Then, very slowly, he got to his feet, and pulled his ripped breeches back into
    place.
       "Are ye no ashamed?" she cried, scandalized.
       Jamie stood looking down at her as though he had never seen any creature
    quite like her, and was making up his mind what she might be. The wet ends
    of his hair dripped over his bare chest.
       "Yes," he said at last, quite mildly. "I am."
       He seemed dazed. He closed his eyes and a brief, deep shudder went over
    him. Without a word, he turned and went out. "

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, September 18, 2015 -- LisaW, 18:27:25 09/17/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 42 "The Man in the Moon"". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

" "You don't!" I pulled my hand loose, and glared at him. "You don't
    know, Jamie, and there isn't any way for me to tell you, because you won't
    believe me. But Bree's a grown woman; she'll marry when and as she likes,
    not when someone arranges it for her. She doesn't need to marry, for that
    matter. She's having a good education; she can earn her own living--women
    do that. She won't have to have a man to protect her--"
       "And if there's no need for a man to protect a woman, and care for her,
    then I think it will be a verra poor time!" He glared back at me.
       I drew a deep breath, trying to be calm.
       "I didn't say there's no need for it." I placed a hand on his shoulder, and
    spoke in a softer tone. "I said, she can choose. She needn't take a man out of
    necessity; she can take one for love." "

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QUOTERS! -- Judie, 22:41:05 09/12/15 Sat
    If you look at the bottom of this board, you'll see we're running out of quoters. :D

Please post here if you'd like a week - or send me an e-mail. Whichever way you do it, let me know what weeks you CANNOT do QOTD so I can arrange things easily. Thanks.

Judie

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, September 16, 2015 -- LisaW, 21:49:42 09/15/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 27 "Up in Flames". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "It's no just the bedding, ye ken," he said, drawing back a little at last. His
    eyes looked down at me, a soft deep blue like the warm tropic sea.
       "No," I said, touching his cheek. "It isn't"
       "To have ye with me again--to talk wi' you--to know I can say anything,
    not guard my words or hide my thoughts--God, Sassenach," he said, "the
    Lord knows I am lust-crazed as a lad, and I canna keep my hands from you--
    or anything else--" he added, wryly, "but I would count that all well lost,
    had I no more than the pleasure of havin' ye by me, and to tell ye all my
    heart."
       "It was lonely without you," I whispered. "So lonely," "

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, September 15, 2015 -- LisaW, 20:28:48 09/14/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 26 "Whore's Brunch". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "He's a nice capable lad.
    It's just--well, ye ken how things just happen around some folk, without
    them seeming to have anything much to do wi' it?"
       "Now that you mention it, yes," I said wryly. "I'm one of them."
       He laughed out loud at that. "God, you're right, Sassenach! Maybe that's
    why I like Young Ian so well; he 'minds me of you."
       "He reminded me a bit of you," I said.
       Jamie snorted briefly. "God, Jenny will maim me, and she hears her baby
    son's been loitering about a house of ill repute. "

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, September 12, 2015 -- TheresaB., 17:24:12 09/11/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 66. Child of My Blood. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Did you go to the stone circle?” she asked. He nodded, not looking at her. He fumbled in his pocket, and laid the big opal stone on the table.

“I went there. That’s why I was long in coming; it took me a long time to find it.”

She was silent for a moment, then nodded.

“You didn’t go back. But you can. Maybe you should.” She looked at him straight on, her gaze the twin of her father’s.

“I don’t want to live with you, if you came back for duty,” she said. She looked at me then, her eyes soft with pain. “I’ve seen a marriage made from obligation- and I’ve seen one made for love. If I hadn’t-“ She stopped and swallowed, then went on. Looking at Roger. “If I hadn’t seen both, I could have lived with obligation. But I have seen both-and I won’t”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, September 14, 2015 -- LisaW, 17:53:43 09/13/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 3 "Frank and Full Disclosure". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" Roger was suddenly conscious of Claire Randall, standing near his elbow.
    She was looking at her daughter, with an expression in which love, pride, and
    something else were mingled--memory, perhaps? He realized, with a slight
    shock, that Jamie Fraser too must have had not only the striking height and
    Viking red hair he had bequeathed to his daughter, but likely the same sheer
    physical presence.
       It was quite remarkable, he thought. She didn't do or say anything so out
    of the ordinary, and yet Brianna undeniably drew people. There was some
    attraction about her, almost magnetic, that drew everyone near into the glow
    of her orbit. "

I just love how Diana describes Bree here. I think she(DG) has said that Brianna was a hard nut character, but Diana still finds a way to let us know just how much she looks like her father.

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, September 13, 2015 -- LisaW, 08:11:33 09/13/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 3 "Frank and Full Disclosure". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" "What do you mean?" he said, his voice sharp. "Where have you been,
    Claire?" He stood up suddenly, looming over the bed.
       "Do you remember that when I last saw you, I was going up tp the stone
    circle on Craigh na Dun?"
       "Yes?" He was staring down at me with an expression somewhere be-
    tween anger and suspicion.
       "Well"--I licked my lips, which had gone quite dry--"the fact is, I
    walked through a cleft stone in the circle, and ended up in 1743."
       "Don't be facetious, Claire!"
       "You think I'm being
    funny?" The thought was so absurd that I actu-
    ally began to laugh, though I felt a good long way from real humor.
       "Stop that!"
    "

So sorry for being so late!!!

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, September 11, 2015 -- TheresaB., 18:20:19 09/10/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 41. Journey’s End. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that I wasn’t alone. Damn, and I’d left my knife on the table inside!

“Sassenach.” My heart nearly stopped at the sound of Jamie’s voice. I spun toward it, relief being rapidly overcome by annoyance. What did he think he-

For a split second, I thought I was seeing double. They were sitting on the bench outside the door, side by side, the afternoon sun igniting their hair like matchheads.

My eyes focused on Jamie’s face, alight with joy- then shifted right.

“Mama.” It was the same expression; eagerness and joy and longing all together. I had no time even to think before she was in my arms, and I was in the air, knocked off my feet both literally and figuratively.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, September 10, 2015 -- TheresaB., 16:58:01 09/09/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 25. Enter a Serpent. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ There had luckily been enough sewage in the bottom of the pit to break his fall. From appearances, the ninth Earl of Ellesmere had landed facedown. Lord John stood for a moment on the path, wiping his hands on his breeches and surveying the encrusted object before him. He rubbed the back of a hand over his mouth, trying either to hide a smile or to stifle his sense of smell.

“What news from the Underworld, Persephone?” he said, unable to keep the quaver of laughter out of his voice.

A pair of slanted eyes looked blue murder out of the mask of filth obscuring his Lordship’s features. It was a thoroughly Fraser expression, and I felt a qualm go through me at the sight.”

This part always makes me laugh!

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, September 9, 2015 -- TheresaB., 18:16:21 09/08/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 2. In Which We Meet A Ghost. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Happy Hump Day!

“ “Aye, and I suppose I’m Adam,” Jamie said. “In the gateway to Paradise.” He turned his head to look wistfully across the creek toward the vast unknown, resting his cheek on the slope of my belly. “I only wish I knew was I coming in, or going out?”

I laughed myself, startling him. I took him by both ears then, urging him gently up across the slippery expanse of my naked flesh.

“In,” I said. “I don’t see an angel with a fiery sword, after all.”

He lowered himself upon me, his own flesh heated as with fever, and I shivered under him.

“No?” he murmured. “Aye, well, you’ll no be looking close enough, I suppose.”

Then the fiery sword severed me from consciousness and set fire to my body.

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, September 8, 2015 -- TheresaB., 17:18:36 09/07/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 21. A Night on a Snowy Mountain. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “If she goes on wi’ the history- d’ye think she’ll find us? Written down somewhere, I mean.”

The thought had honestly not occurred to me, and for a moment I lay quite still. Then I stretched a bit, and laid my head on his shoulder with a small laugh, not altogether humorous.

“I shouldn’t think so. Not unless we were to do something newsworthy.” I gestured vaguely toward the cabin wall, and the endless wilderness outside. “Not much chance of that here, I don’t imagine. And she’d have to be deliberately looking, in any case.”

“Would she?”

I was silent for a moment, breathing the musky, deep scent of him.

“I hope not,” I said quietly at last. “She should have her own life- not spend her time looking back.” “

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, September 7, 2015 -- TheresaB., 18:05:07 09/06/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 19, Hearth Blessing. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “How shall I tell ye what it is, to feel the need of a place?” he said softly. “The need of snow beneath my shoon. The breath of the mountains, breathing their own breath in my nostrils as God gave breath to Adam. The scrape of rock under my hand, climbing, and the sight of the lichens on it, enduring in the sun and the wind.”

His breath was gone and he breathed again, taking mine, His hands were linked behind my head, holding me, face-to-face.

“If I am to live as a man, I must have a mountain.” he said simply. His eyes were open wide, searching mine for understanding.

“Will ye trust me, Sassenach? He said. His nose pressed against mine, but his eyes didn’t blink. Neither did mine. “

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, September 6, 2015> -- TheresaB., 19:51:42 09/05/15 Sat
    The following quote is taken from Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 16. Copyright (c) 1997 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“D’ye believe in signs at all, Sassenach?”

“What sorts of signs?” I asked guardedly.

In answer, he bent, plucked a sprig from the ground, and dropped in into my hand- the dark green leaves like small round Chinese fans, a pure white flower on a slender stem, and on another a half-ripe berry, its shoulders pale with shade, blushing crimson at the tip.

“This, It’s ours, d’ye see?” he said.

“Ours?”

The Frasers’, I mean,” he explained. One large, blunt finger gently prodded the berry. “Strawberries ha’ always been the emblem of the clan- it’s what the name meant to start with, when Monsieur Frescliere came across from France wi’ King William that was- and took hold of land in the Scottish mountains for his trouble.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, September 5th, 2015 -- kgp, 03:07:46 09/05/15 Sat
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 91. Footsteps

“She stared at him, dumbfounded.

“What are you doing here?” Even as she spoke, she was rising from the chair, groping for something that might be used as a weapon, her mind lagging far behind her body, not yet able to penetrate the fog of horror that gripped her.

“I came for you, hen,” he said, smiling. “And for the gold.” He laid something on the desk: her parent’s first letter. ”Tell Jem the Spaniard guards it,” Rob Cameron quoted, tapping it. “I thought maybe it’s best you tell Jem that. And tell him to show me where this Spaniard is. If ye’d like to keep him alive, I mean. Up to you, though.” The smiled widened. “Boss.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, September 4, 2015 -- kgp, 17:13:16 09/03/15 Thu
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 85. Son Of A Witch

“Why the devil should this trusdair take your son?” Buccleigh rolled down his window and stuck his head out, vainly trying to see farther than the view through the dust-coated windshield. “And why, for the sake of all holy, bring him here?

“How do I know?” Roger said through his teeth. “Maybe he thinks he needs blood to open the stones. Christ, why did I write that?” He pounded a fist on the wheel in frustration.

Buccleigh blinked, very startled, but his gaze sharpened at once.

“Is that it?” he said, urgent. “Is that how ye do it? Blood?”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, September 3, 2015 -- kgp, 17:08:39 09/02/15 Wed
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 96. Firefly

“But maybe Mr. Cameron would come back when it got morning, too. Jem moved a little away from the door, thinking that. He didn’t think Mr. Cameron wanted to hurt him, exactly – he said he didn’t, at least – but he might try to take him back up to the rocks and Jem wasn’t going there, not for anything,

Thinking about the rocks hurt. Not as much as when Mr. Cameron pushed him against one and it . . . started, but it hurt. There was a scrape on his elbow where he banged it, fighting back, and he rubbed at it now, because it was lots better to feel that than to think about the rocks. No, he told himself, Mr. Cameron wouldn’t hurt him, because he’d pulled him back out of the rock when it tried to . . . He swallowed hard, and tried to think about something else.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, September 2, 2015 -- kgp, 17:35:32 09/01/15 Tue
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 85. Son Of A Witch

“What happened then, a leannan? Did you go close to the big rocks?”

“Not me; Jem! That man took him and the wocks ate him!” At this, she collapsed in tears again, sobbing inconsolably.

“That man,” Roger said slowly, and turned a little more, so that William Buccleigh was in her field of view. “Do you mean this man, sweetheart? Uncle Buck?”

“No, nonononononono, a other man!” She straightened up, staring into his face with huge, tear-filled eyes, straining to make him understand. “Bobby’s daddy!”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, September 1, 2015 -- kgp, 17:45:27 08/31/15 Mon
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 72. The Feast Of All Saints

“Another time, then,’ Rob said lightly. “Nice to meet ye, pal.” He bounded off again, light-footed as a gazelle, and she turned to find William Buccleigh looking after him with narrowed eye.

“What?” she demanded.

“Yon man’s got a hot eye for you,” he said, abruptly, turning to her. “Does your husband know?”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” she said, just as abruptly. Her heart had sped up at his words, and she didn’t like it. “I work with him. He’s in the lodge with Roger, and the talk about old songs. That’s all.”

He made one of those Scottish noises that can convey all manner of indelicate meaning and shook his head.

“I may not be what you are,” he repeated, smiling unpleasantly. “But I’m no a fool, either.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, August 31, 2015 -- kgp, 17:34:16 08/30/15 Sun
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 46. Ley Lines

“This was in with the Gaelic bits ye were handing round. It looked as though it was in there by mistake, though, so I took it out. Writing a novel, are ye?”

He handed out the black notebook, “The Hitchhiker’s Guide,” and Roger’s throat clenched as though he’d been garroted. He took the notebook, nodding speechlessly.

“Maybe ye’ll let me read it when it’s done,” Cameron said casually, putting his truck in gear. “I’m a great one for the science fiction.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 30, 2015 -- kgp, 03:55:25 08/30/15 Sun
    The following quotation is from An Echo In The Bone by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 27. Tunnel Tigers

”Giggling, she thought with furious contempt. Like little boys!

Little boys, indeed. She took a few deep breaths, fighting off both anger and panic. Now that the dazzle of the darkness had faded, she could see the thin line of light that bisected the fifteen-foot doors. A man-height shadow interrupted the light but was jerked away, to the accompaniment of whispers and more giggling. Someone trying to peek in, the idiot. Good luck to him, seeing anything in here. Aside from the hair of light between the doors, the hydroelectric tunnel under Loch Errochty was dark as the pits of hell.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday 8/29/15 -- CarolSR, 19:12:25 08/28/15 Fri
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 22 THE ROYAL STUD. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“What it is that lies between Jack Randall and me will be settled only when one of us is dead—and maybe not then. There are ways of killing other than with a knife or a gun, and there are things worse than physical death.” His tone softened. “In Ste. Anne, you pulled me back from more than one kind of death, mo duinne, and never think I don’t know it.” He shook his head. “Perhaps I do owe you more than you owe me, after all.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 28, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:30:54 08/27/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 21 UNTIMELY RESURRECTION. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“No.” The voice that spoke above me was soft, almost expressionless. Looking up, I could see that the face still matched it, but a quick, hot pulse beat in his neck, and the small, triangular scar above his collar flushed red with heat. “I am called Lord Broch Tuarach for formality’s sake,” the soft Scottish voice above me said. “And beyond the requirements of formality, you will never speak to me again—until you beg for your life at the point of my sword. Then, you may use my name, for it will be the last word you ever speak.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, August 27, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:13:17 08/26/15 Wed
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 38 A BARGAIN WITH THE DEVIL. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“The note of triumph in his voice was faint, but unmistakable. “I,” he said softly, “I have had him as you could never have him. You are a woman; you cannot understand, even witch as you are. I have held the soul of his manhood, have taken from him what he has taken from me. I know him, as he now knows me. We are bound, he and I, by blood.”
    I give ye my Body, that we Two may be One…”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, August 25, 2015 -- CarolSR, 18:20:14 08/25/15 Tue
    It was a bit hard finding a "Hump Day" quote with this week's story line, but here goes...

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 38 A BARGAIN WITH THE DEVIL. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“He told me. Everything.”
    He made a small sound, half a sigh.
    “Whether the idea pleases you or not, my dear, we are linked, you and I. I cannot say it pleases me, but I admit the truth of it. You know, as I do, the touch of his skin—so warm, is he not? Almost as though he burned from within. You know the smell of his sweat and the roughness of the hairs on his thighs. You know the sound that he makes at the last, when he has lost himself. So do I.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, August 25, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:10:18 08/24/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 21 UNTIMELY RESURRECTION. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“I trust your new husband keeps you in better order than…”
    The words died in his throat as he looked up to see the source of the footsteps that had just turned into the hall behind me. If I had wanted to discompose him, that urge was now fully gratified. No Hamlet on the stage had ever reacted to the appearance of a ghost with more convincing terror than I saw stamped on that aristocratic face. The hand still holding my arm clawed deep into my flesh, and I felt the jolt of shock that surged through him like an electric charge.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Monday, August 24, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:16:58 08/23/15 Sun
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 8 UNLAID GHOSTS AND CROCODILES. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved

“I took a step toward him, but he stopped me with a quick motion. He turned his face back to the window, calm now, and blank as the glass he looked through.
    “Get ye to bed, lassie. Leave me to myself a bit; I’ll be well enough presently. There’s naught to worry ye now.”
    He stretched his arms out, grasping the window frame, blotting out the light with his body. His shoulders swelled with effort, and I could tell that he was pushing against the wood with all his might.
    “It was only a dream. Jack Randall is dead.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Sunday, August 23, 2015 -- CarolSR, 16:18:28 08/22/15 Sat
    There are so many great scenes in Dragonfly in Amber,so I thought we'd revisit some of them as we wait for Season 2 of the Starz program. There will be some shocking surprises for those "show only" fans. :)

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, CHAPTER 8 UNLAID GHOSTS AND CROCODILES. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Jonathan Randall walked the room. And lay naked in my bed, atop the woolen blanket.
    There had been the sound of hoarse breathing close behind him, and the feel of sweat-drenched skin, sliding against his own. He gritted his teeth in an agony of frustration. The man behind him sensed the small movement and laughed.
    “Oh, we’ve some time yet before they hang you, my boy,” he whispered. “Plenty of time to enjoy it.” Randall moved suddenly, hard and abrupt, and
    he made a small involuntary sound.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Thursday, August 20, 2015. -- LissC, 05:27:23 08/20/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, page 607, print edition. Copyright © 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Brian," she said, "I -"

"A Dhia!" He went whiter than the harled plaster of the house below. "Ellen!"

Astonishment deprived her of speech for an instant - long enough to hear light footsteps scrambling down the hill behind her.

"Mam!" called Jem, breathless.

Brian's eyes glanced up, behind her, and his mouth fell open at the sight of Jem. Then a look of radiant joy suffused his face.

"Willie!" he said. A bhalaich! Mo bhalaich!" He looked back at Brianna and stretched out a trembling hand to her. Mo ghraidh . . . Mo chridhe . . ."

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Wednesday, August 19, 2015. -- LissC, 08:52:12 08/19/15 Wed
    Hard to find a Wild Wednesday quote for Brian Dubh...

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 15, Revelations of the Bridal Chamber. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“I kent Jamie’s father. If the lad’s much like him, ye’ll have no trouble at all.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Tuesday, August 18, 2015. -- LissC, 09:08:51 08/18/15 Tue
    The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 11, Useful Occupations. Copyright © 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“Said to my father over supper one night as I thought perhaps in the spring I’d go across to the Abbey and become a novice.
    I laughed at the thought. “Well, you’d have no difficulty with the vow of poverty; chastity and obedience might come a bit harder. What did your father say?”
    He grinned, teeth white in a dark face. “He was eating brose. He laid down the spoon and looked at me for moment. Then he sighed and shook his head, and said, ‘It’s been a long day, Jamie’.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Monday, August 17, 2015. -- LissC, 12:59:17 08/17/15 Mon

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 29, More Honesty. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“He said, ‘Sometimes I daresay I’ll enjoy thrashing you, depending on what you’ve done to deserve it. Mostly I won’t. But I’ll do it nonetheless. So remember it, lad. If you head thinks up mischief, your backside’s going to pay for it.’ Then he gave me a hug and said, ‘You’re a braw lad, Jamie. Go away to the house now and let your mother comfort ye.’ I opened my mouth to say something to that, and he said, quick-like, ‘No, I know you don’t need it, but she does. Get on wi’ ye.’.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Quote of the Day for Sunday, August 16th, 2015 -- LissC, 12:58:06 08/17/15 Mon
    The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24, By the Pricking of My Thumbs. Copyright © 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.
    And finally, he found a kitchenmaid who recalled seeing a man in a back passage, just before the supper was served.
    She had noticed him only because he was so handsome; tall and sturdy, she said, with hair like a black silkie’s and eyes like a cat.

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• LissC - where are ye lass? You're the QOTD hostess this week. -- CarolSR, 06:58:47 08/17/15 Mon
    [ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• This is not your real QOTD for Sunday, August 16th. Just subbing for now. -- Lee, 10:26:30 08/16/15 Sun
    This is just a fill-in until the real quoter comes by. ☺ Happy Sunday, Lallybroch!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 40, The Fox’s Lair. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

‘ “If this sassenach wench brings ye naught, at lease she looks as though she costs ye little.” The slanted blue eyes, so much like Jamie’s own, ran over my travel-stained gown, taking in the unstitched hem, the burst seam, and the splashes of mud on the skirt.

I could feel a fine vibration run through Jamie, and wasn’t sure whether it was anger or laughter.

“Thanks,” I said, with a friendly smile at his lordship. “I don’t eat much either. But I could use a bit of a wash. Just water; don’t bother about the soap if it comes too dear.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Here's one to fill the gap: -- kgp, 08:00:38 08/17/15 Mon
    The following quotation is from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 13, Beans and Barbecue. Copyright 2001. All Rights Reserved.

“I wouldna cross the road to see a scrawny woman, if she were stark naked and dripping wet. As for Lillywhite,” he resumed, in a more normal tone of voice, but without removing his hand, which was molding the cloth of my skirt thoughtfully around one buttock, “he may be a Protestant, Sassenach, but he’s still a man.”

“I didn’t realize the two states were incompatible,” Roger’s voice said dryly, coming out of the darkness nearby.

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday, July 30, 2015 -- kgp, 03:17:54 07/30/15 Thu
    The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 10. Duty Calls. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

”Don’t be afraid, laddie. It doesna hurt a bit, to die.” He missed his footing and staggered, caught himself and stood still, a taste of metal on the back of his tongue.

His heart was thumping, suddenly, for no reason, as though he had run miles. He saw the cabin, certainly, and heard the calling of the jays in the half-leafed chestnut trees. But he saw even more clearly Murtagh’s face, the grim lines of it relaxing into peace and the deep-set black eyes fixed on his, shifting in and out of focus, as though his godfather looked at once at him and at something far beyond him. He felt the weight of Murtagh’s body in his arms, growing suddenly heavy as he died.

The vision vanished, as abruptly as it had come, and he found himself standing next to a rain puddle, staring at a wooden duck half-mired in the mud.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Saturday, August 15, 2015 -- Lee, 22:50:50 08/14/15 Fri
    Thanks for hanging with me this week!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 37, Holyrood. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ “Ah, he said softly. “You were told. By whom, and I may ask?”

”Laoghaire.” Even now, I could not repress a brief spurt of rage at the girl’s name. Out of thwarted jealousy over my having married Jamie, she had deliberately tried to have me killed. Considerable depths of malice for a sixteen-year-old girl. And even now, mingled with the rage was that tiny spark of grim satisfaction; he’s mine, I thought, almost subconsciously. Mine. You’ll never take him from me. Never.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Friday, August 14, 2015 -- Lee, 21:47:49 08/13/15 Thu
    Who would have thought that this encounter, in the middle of all that was going on, would turn into such a strong and far-reaching connection. This is a fine example of why re-reading this series can be so very rewarding. The great stuff you couldn’t read the future and see the importance of kind of smacks you in the head (in the best of ways). ☺

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 36, Prestonpans. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ The man hit the trunk hard, loosing a shower of leaves and acorns, and slid slowly down to lie dazed in the leaf-meal.

Attracted by the noise, Murtagh, Ross, and a couple of the other Fraser men materialized by the fire. Hauling the intruder to his feet, they pulled him roughly into the circle of firelight. Murtagh grabbed the captive by the hair and jerked his head backward, bringing his face into view.

It was a small, fine-boned face, with big, long-lashed eyes that blinked dazedly at the crowding faces.

“But he’s only a boy!” I exclaimed. “He can’t be more than fifteen!”

“Sixteen!” said the boy. ”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Thursday August 13, 2015 -- Lee, 22:03:00 08/12/15 Wed
    I really thought this was going to pay Claire’s debt to the King. Was kind of cheering her on that she didn’t have to…you know. Silly me, lol!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 27, An Audience with His Majesty. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ The King’s hand was under my elbow, directing my attention beyond the table. Now that the candle was lighted, I could see the two figures who stood silently among the flickering shadows. I started at the sight, and the King’s hand tightened on my arm.

The Compte St. Germain and Master Raymond stood there, side by side, separated by a distance of six feet or so. Raymond gave no sign of acknowledgment, but stood quietly, staring off to one side with the pupil-less black eyes of a frog in a bottomless well. “

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Wednesday, August 12, 2015 -- Lee, 22:22:24 08/11/15 Tue
    Not your traditional hump day quote. :-D

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 22, The Royal Stud. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ The stallion burst from his stall toward the tethered mare with a suddenness that made everyone fall back from the fence. Puffs of dust flew up in clouds as the huge hooves struck the packed dirt of the pen, and drops of saliva flew from his open mouth. The groom who had opened his stall door jumped aside, tiny and insignificant next to the magnificent fury let loose in the pen.

The mare curvetted and squealed in alarm, but then he was on her, and his teeth closed on the sturdy arch of her neck, forcing her head down into submission. The great swathe of her tail swept high, leaving her naked, exposed to his lust.”

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• QOTD for Tuesday, August 11, 2015 -- Lee, 22:03:01 08/10/15 Mon
    This passage and the preceding moments always give me chills. Murtagh is so very serious. And vengeance will be had!

The following quote is taken from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 19, An Oath is Sworn. Copyright (c) 1992 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

“ Jamie’s voice dropped still further, but it was not a whisper. Holding the middle three fingers of his right hand stiff, he laid them together over the hilt of the dirk, at the juncture of haft and tang.

“I charge ye, then, by your oath to me and your word to my mother – find the men. Hunt them, and when they be found, I do charge ye wi’ the vengeance due my wife’s honor – and the blood of Mary Hawkins’s innocence.”

He paused a moment, then took his hand from the knife. The clansman raised it, holding it upright by the blade. Acknowledging my presence for the first time, he bowed his head toward me and said, “As the laird has spoken, lady, so I will do. I will lay vengeance at your feet.” “

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

Main index ] [ Archives: 12[3]45678910 ]
    . .
    Quoters for the upcoming weeks:

Week of January 17 - CarolSR
    Week of January 24 - Swarl
    Week of January 31 - CarolSR
    Week of February 7 - kgp
    Week of February 14 - LisaW
    Week of February 21 -
    Week of February 28 -

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.