VoyForums

Friday, December 03, 08:49:30amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 03:17:54 07/30/15 Thu
Author: kgp
Subject: QOTD for Thursday, July 30, 2015

The following quote is taken from A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 10. Duty Calls. Copyright© 2005 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

”Don’t be afraid, laddie. It doesna hurt a bit, to die.” He missed his footing and staggered, caught himself and stood still, a taste of metal on the back of his tongue.

His heart was thumping, suddenly, for no reason, as though he had run miles. He saw the cabin, certainly, and heard the calling of the jays in the half-leafed chestnut trees. But he saw even more clearly Murtagh’s face, the grim lines of it relaxing into peace and the deep-set black eyes fixed on his, shifting in and out of focus, as though his godfather looked at once at him and at something far beyond him. He felt the weight of Murtagh’s body in his arms, growing suddenly heavy as he died.

The vision vanished, as abruptly as it had come, and he found himself standing next to a rain puddle, staring at a wooden duck half-mired in the mud.”

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Wow! Dying in Jamie's arms is the most peaceful death Murtagh could have. -- LisaW, 05:53:15 07/30/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> This scene has echoes of Dougal and the clansman from the tynchal/boar hunt. As I read it just now, I totally had that picture in my mind. -- MaryC in KY, 08:57:40 07/30/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> and Rupert in the chapel. -- kgp, 12:53:52 07/30/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> Mutt agh -- maryj, 11:34:47 08/16/15 Sun

Isn't there another place in one of the books where Jamie remembers Murtagh telling him it doesn't hurt to die and describes him dying in Jamie's arms. It seems it's one of the later books, maybe Written in My Own Hearts Blood. Sorry, I read all eight of the books since April and am getting things confused.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.