VoyForums

Sunday, November 28, 07:45:35pmLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:53:43 09/13/15 Sun
Author: LisaW
Subject: QOTD for Monday, September 14, 2015

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 3 "Frank and Full Disclosure". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

" Roger was suddenly conscious of Claire Randall, standing near his elbow.
She was looking at her daughter, with an expression in which love, pride, and
something else were mingled--memory, perhaps? He realized, with a slight
shock, that Jamie Fraser too must have had not only the striking height and
Viking red hair he had bequeathed to his daughter, but likely the same sheer
physical presence.
   It was quite remarkable, he thought. She didn't do or say anything so out
of the ordinary, and yet Brianna undeniably drew people. There was some
attraction about her, almost magnetic, that drew everyone near into the glow
of her orbit. "

I just love how Diana describes Bree here. I think she(DG) has said that Brianna was a hard nut character, but Diana still finds a way to let us know just how much she looks like her father.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Somehow I was never drawn to Bree. I don't dislike her exactly, but I don't like her either. I think in real life we wouldn't get along. -- jayn, 21:40:57 09/13/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I like Bri but I see her as an alpha female and in any group she might be the 'bossy boots'. Part of it is a cultural translation of her father's qualities that we easily accept in a male character but are harder to see in a female character because they are not traditional. Claire is a strong character, ready to take on anything that comes her way, and so is Jenny. But they are also more bound by cultural roles given their times, they work more within those boundaries. Brianna doesn't. -- kgp, 06:07:22 09/14/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I think that's why I like Bree so much. :) -- ScarlettO, 10:20:55 09/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> I'd love to hear again from DG why she had trouble 'drawing'Bree. But in the meantime. ..we meet her on an idyllic vacation with her Mother shortly after her beloved Fwther dies, She is quite young and protected in the way of America in the Eisenhower 50's. Within the space of a few days she discovers her Mother is not who she thot, she is not who she thot, her Father is not who she thot.and she is a stubborn Fraser. So, stubborn, angry, betrayed late teenagers are not attractive. But I have some sympathy for her. -- Swarl, 06:15:10 09/14/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I just love Brianna! As much as I love Jaime! The female personified of him...and she can be strong and independent because she is a woman of the 20th century! I love that she brings those traits to the 18th century and isn't afraid to use them! -- BetsyG, 06:43:42 09/14/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I like Brianna too. In the later books I look forward to the Bree and Roger sections. I haven't re read the old ones for such a long time. I must make time I think. -- Gwen, 23:13:47 09/14/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I LOVE strong women. Brianna is certainly that. There were times I questioned her judgment but I can say the same about Claire. I love the parts of the book that deal with the MacKenzie's - both old and young. -- CathyS, 06:44:34 09/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.