VoyForums

Tuesday, November 30, 11:06:13amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:24:36 09/28/15 Mon
Author: Erin McN
Subject: QOTD for Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The following quote is taken from An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 62 "One Just Man." Copyright (c) 2009 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

I seldom prayed consciously when preparing for surgery, but I did look for something -- something I could not describe but always recognized: a certain quietness of soul, the detachment of mind in which I could balance on the knife-edge between ruthlessness and compassion, at once engaged in utmost intimacy with the body under my hands and capable of destroying what I touched in the name of healing.

One-and-two-and-three-and-four...

I realized with a start that my own heartbeat had slowed; the pulse in my fingertip matched that in Jamie's wrist, beat for beat, slow and strong. If I was waiting for a sign, I supposed that would do. Ready, steady, go, I thought, and picked up the scalpel.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Claire is a truly remarkable person. I'm glad that she was able to pursue who she was meant to be, in both time periods, no matter how difficult it was for her to do so. I think this highlights one big difference between Frank and Jamie. Frank tolerated Claire's need to be a healer, Jamie appreciated it as being part of who she was. -- TheresaB., 03:25:01 09/29/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Just a tiny defense of Frank; I agree he wasn't thrilled with her career, but he did admire (and perhaps envy) her sure knowledge of what she was meant to be. -- Kathy in PA, 04:48:55 09/29/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> I often forget that doctors have to be ruthless and compassionate all in one. Claire got that, and that was what made her such a great doctor. -- LisaW, 06:58:44 09/29/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> re: Frank. I think that Frank was a stand-up guy for sticking it out with Claire and raising Bree, even though it was clear that Claire loved someone else. He did admire Claire's knowledge of who she was, and tolerated it for Bree's sake. I think it is probably not easy to live with someone who tolerates you but maybe wishes you were different, as opposed to someone who loves all aspects of you just because its you. I hope this makes sense, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee. ;-) -- TheresaB., 03:13:56 09/30/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.