VoyForums

Monday, October 25, 01:33:03amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:04:59 12/12/15 Sat
Author: MaryC in KY
Subject: QOTD for Sunday, December 13, 2015

The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two "Characters". Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Onions

Other characters were conceived before I wrote them, and were consciously intended to serve some specific purpose in the story. However, once I began to write them, they obligingly came to life and started acting on their own. Mother Hildegarde in Dragonfly in Amber was one such “built” character—I needed someone who could decode a musical cipher, and I needed a hospital for Claire to work in. Fine, I though, let’s have the abbess of a convent hospital, and give her a musical avocation, thus saving my having to make up an additional character. The moment I began to write Mother Hildegarde, though, I could see her (“a face of an ugliness so transcendent as to be grotesquely beautiful”), and within a couple of paragraphs I could hear her talk.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Companion quotes this week? This sounds interesting. I liked Mother Hildegarde a lot. -- Helka, 02:32:46 12/13/15 Sun

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Me too. A wonderful example of a nun's true calling without regard for society's "acceptable behavior." And as a fellow dog lover, I admired her relationship with Bouton. -- Kathy in PA, 05:14:57 12/13/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Yay Mother Hildrgarde! And who else can't wait to see her on screen talk about perfect casting!! -- BetsyG, 18:48:53 12/13/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.