VoyForums

Monday, October 25, 01:39:14amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:09:05 12/14/15 Mon
Author: MaryC in KY
Subject: QOTD for Monday, December 14, 2015

The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two "Characters". Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

Now, Mother Hildegarde and Mr. Willoughby are what I call “onions”; characters who develop slowly through the addition of multiple layers of personality, rather than popping up full-fledged as the “mushrooms” do. Mother Hildegarde was an onion, but her dog, Bouton, was a pure mushroom.

“Is that a dog?” I asked one of the orderlies in amazement, when I first beheld Bouton, passing through L’Hôpital at the heels of his mistress.

He paused in his floor-sweeping to look after the curly, plumed tail, disappearing into the next ward.

“Well,” he said doubtfully. “Mother Hildegarde says he’s a dog. I wouldn’t like to be the one to say he isn’t.”

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Yes, we're having Companion quotes this week! I am getting the new Companion Volume Two for Christmas and I've been flipping through the original book in anticipation. When I first found the Outlander series, there were only 4 books, we were waiting for The Fiery Cross to be published. I enjoyed reading the Companion and getting insight into Herself's mind about how she writes, where her characters come from, and other interesting tidbits. Back then I was not afraid of spoilers either, so I loved the excerpts that were included too. -- MaryC in KY, 04:13:52 12/14/15 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Wonderful idea. Companion is an interesting book, reading of these details of writer's craft feel like getting close to Diana as she summons up these characters. -- Helka, 05:35:53 12/14/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> AAHHHH the Companion! How I found you all! -- BetsyG, 09:12:44 12/14/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Me too! I was so computer illiterate but Outlander made me learn. I also found the books just before Fiery Cross was published and bought everything I could about them. A big mistake was buying the abridged audible Outlander. I quickly realized this was NOT MY OUTLANDER and gave it to the church garage sale. Got the right one shortly after 😍 -- Kathy in PA, 04:55:05 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.