VoyForums

Sunday, October 17, 07:29:05pmLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:45:08 12/14/15 Mon
Author: MaryC in KY
Subject: QOTD for Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Eight "The View From Lallybroch Objects of Vertue, Objects of Use", Section “Lallybroch”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

When I began writing Outlander, I undertook all kinds of things for research, including going to a Highland Games in Mesa, Arizona. I’d never been to a Highland Games before, and found it fascinating; bagpipes up the gazoo: drums, shortbread, and quite a lot of men in kilts. I came away from this event with two important souveniers: a Clan Map of Scotland, which is still on my wall, and which has supplied most of the names for minor characters—as well as the odd geographical reference—for all the books so far—and a silver ring.

This one is 5 mm (3/16”) wide, and has a narrow band of plain silver at top and bottom, with a single band of interlace (aka Celtic knotwork) in between. Owing to its origins, I’ve always thought of it in terms of Outlander and things Scottish.

Consequently, when Jamie decided to give Claire a ring (I had no idea that’s why he’d gone off right after arrival at the Castle), I was faced with the problem of describing it. Being a practical person, as well as a person of sentiment, I looked at my hands—and gave her a cross between my own two rings.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> This quote is in honor of my parents on their 52nd wedding anniversary! And also to all the Lallyfriends near and far who wear a Celtic ring inspired by Outlander. -- MaryC in KY, 17:45:36 12/14/15 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Congratulations to your parents - 52 of marriage is a testament to a lot of love, support and especially compromise. I wear my Claire's ring constantly along with my wedding band and mothers ring. I always feel,connected to my fellow Gabaldonians when I look at it. Love the Companion quotes! -- Kathy in PA, 04:50:32 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Congratulations to your parents!! -- LisaW, 09:08:26 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Happy Anniversary to your parents that photo of them was sooo cute!! They are young at heart it shows through in their faces! And this is the start of our own beloved Ring! -- BetsyG, 05:15:26 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Where is the photo? I'd love to see it. -- Kathy IN PA, 05:32:41 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Kathy, I posted a pic on Facebook, I'm not sure if we are friends there? It is my Dad in his college letter sweater (Track and Cross-Country) and my mom is wearing a vintage skirt - possibly from her college days also, but I could be wrong about that. They are definitely full of life and an inspiration to me for sure!! -- MaryC in KY, 08:29:31 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Diana is such an interesting person. I found it quite fascinating that she describes herself more in line with Jamie. With Claire as such a strong woman character, I just assumed DG was more inline with Claire. But to hear how the ring came to be is so lovely. And that she had no idea where Jamie went when they return to Leoch, Jamie you devil! -- LisaW, 09:08:04 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Inspiration at hand. Wonderful description of how Claire got her ring. Are we fb- friends? I sen a request to a Mary, who I have 26 mutual friends with. -- Helka, 10:10:05 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Yes, you found me!! -- MaryC in KY, 18:59:14 12/15/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.