VoyForums

Wednesday, October 27, 11:42:55amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:58:45 12/15/15 Tue
Author: MaryC in KY
Subject: QOTD for Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two “Characters”, section “Magic, Medicine, and White Ladies”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

Bouton? Well, I looked down, and there he was. I have several dogs myself; Tippy, the smallest and oldest, always goes to my office with me when I work, and guards me faithfully until I go down to bed at three a.m. He lies on the floor near my feet, straight as a compass needle, pink nose on his paws, and a long, fluffy tail laid out behind him.

So as Mother Hildegarde sat down to play her harpsichord, I looked down, and there was Bouton, stretched out faithfully like a compass needle on the floor at her feet. Given Mother Hildegarde’s occupation, it seemed only natural for her dog to accompany her on her rounds through the Hôpital—it was his own notion to leap up on the patients’ beds and instigate his own form of diagnosis.

Footnote: I was therefore pleased—though not surprised—to read a couple of years ago, of studies being done in which dogs were trained to sniff patients, in order to aid in the detection and diagnosis of certain conditions.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I have the second Companion just waiting for me to crack the cover. Your quotes are just what I need to fill in before the Christmas break and long reading times. Thank you -- JanetP, 05:11:44 12/16/15 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> I can imagine that real life must creep into a writer's work when the character is a smaller one. Bouton is one of the most interesting. -- LisaW, 05:17:14 12/16/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> It's been such a long time since I've read the Companion - I've really enjoyed these snippets. -- kgp, 17:56:12 12/16/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.