VoyForums

Wednesday, October 20, 09:35:14amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:01:02 12/16/15 Wed
Author: MaryC in KY
Subject: QOTD for Thursday, December 17, 2015

The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Two "Characters", Section “Names”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

Mother Hildegarde was another who named herself. Having decided upon her profession and avocation, I set out to write her, and found the name “Hildegarde” being insistently shoved under my nose. Nonsense, I said, I don’t think Hildegarde is even a French name. Surely she ought to be Berthe or Matilde or something. But no, it was “Hildegarde” and nothing else.

Fine, I said, already used to argumentative characters. Have it your way, Hildegarde. We can always change it later, if the copy editor tells me it isn’t French.

A year or two later, I found myself in London, in a store called Past Times, which specializes in the reproduction of art and artifacts from…er…past times. They had a rack of musical recordings, compositions dating from the tenth century to the twentieth, performed on period instruments and according to the performance conditions appropriate to the time of the composition. Finding this interesting, I thumbed through the rack, only to find a tape of songs composed by… one Mother Hildegarde.

Hildegarde von Bingen, to be exact (as I recall, my actual exclamation at the time was, “Ha! So it isn’t French!”). A mystic, a composer—and an abbess—from the twelfth century. But Mother Hildegarde, nonetheless.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Another interesting fact about Hildegard von Bingen is the receipt for Happiness cookies. Finns call them Patience or Nerve cookies though. Link to a recipe >> inside >>> -- Helka, 23:59:57 12/16/15 Wed

Happiness cookies, link to recipe: https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=459415

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Thank you Helka! -- LisaW, 05:35:00 12/17/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Looks like a yummy recipe, thanks for sharing! -- MaryC in KY, 10:37:31 12/17/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> Love that Mother Hildegarde insisted on her name! No wonder Claire was drawn to her. -- LisaW, 05:36:16 12/17/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> Thanks Helka for the recipe! and in another age and time...DG would be said to have some second sight? She certainly is open to knowing things and uncanny happenings! -- BetsyG, 12:51:28 12/20/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.