VoyForums

Wednesday, October 20, 09:40:10amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:13:47 12/17/15 Thu
Author: MaryC in KY
Subject: QOTD for Friday, December 18, 2015

The following quote is taken from The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, Part Seven “Where Titles Come From And Other Matters of General Interest”, section “Outlander vs. Cross Stitch”. Copyright (c) 1999 by Diana Gabaldon.

I have—for contractual and reference purposes—been calling the sixth (and final) book of the series King, Farewell. That title comes from a very moving Jacobite song, in which the singer bids farewell to the Stuart dynasty (and, by implication, all that went with it, like the Highland clans themselves). However, no one seems able to remember it, which is always a Bad Sign. People keep asking me when Farewell to the King (or worse, Farewell to Arms) will be released. Now, I do get the occasional letter praising my excellent novel Butterfly in Amber, or asking when Drums of August will be out in some foreign edition, but it’s nothing like the confusion over King, Farewell.

I must therefore assume a) that King, Farewell is probably more memorable if set to music, but book publishing technology has not advanced that far yet, and b) the title of the sixth book should preferably be one word, to reduce the chances of people mangling it (of course, they call the first book Highlander all the time, and Voyager is commonly refered to as Voyageur [featuring that intrepid French trapper Jamie Frezeliere, and his wife, La Dame Blanche], but still…

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Of course, we know how this played out in the end. The sixth book was titled A Breath of Snow and Ashes. It is not one word and it is certainly not the final book! -- MaryC in KY, 20:14:40 12/17/15 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> So glad it wasn't the end. So much more to find out!! -- kgp, 10:44:55 12/18/15 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.