VoyForums

Wednesday, October 20, 09:23:00amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:03:21 12/24/15 Thu
Author: Lady-Jane
Subject: QOTD for Friday, 25 December 2015

I love the comfort, love, and practicality all rolled into this scene. The holidays are about family and being together, not the stuff that so often takes over.

The following quote is taken from The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 34, "Charms." Copyright© 2001 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"Catholic as many of them were—and nominally Christian as they all were—Highland Scots regarded Christmas primarily as a religious observance, rather than a major festive occasion. Lacking priest or minister, the day was spent much like a Sunday, though with a particularly lavish meal to mark the occasion, and the exchange of small gifts. My own gift from Jamie had been the wooden ladle I was presently using, its handle carved with the image of a mint leaf; I had given him a new shirt with a ruffle at the throat for ceremonial occasions, his old one having worn quite away at the seams."

Last edited by author: Thu December 24, 2015 21:04:39   Edited 1 time.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I love the homemade Christmas presents. It reminds me of the Kilchers in Alaska, making do with what they have, and making useful gifts. I sound like a broken record, but I have a beautiful, tiny, hand carved ladle with a mint design carved on it made by Sue W. for the 2011 Lally Ornament exchange. Thank you again, Sue, it is SO obvious that you are an artist. -- Kathy in PA, 10:43:16 12/25/15 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> And Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate and Bride's Blessing to all. Very best wishes for a healthy 2016! -- Kathy in PA, 10:44:39 12/25/15 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.