VoyForums

Wednesday, October 20, 10:52:58amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:56:34 01/03/16 Sun
Author: BetsyG
Subject: QOD for Monday, January 4, 2016 Note: I am traveling the next few days so forgive me for posting at odd times !

The following quotation is from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. Copyright 1992. All Rights Reserved. Chapter 12, L’HÔPITAL DES ANGES.

“So, we’ve made the bargain,” Jamie said, nodding at his new servant. “Fergus will do his best to get what I need, and I will provide him with clothes and lodging and thirty écus a year. If he’s caught while doing my service, I’ll do my best to buy him off. If it canna be done, and he loses a hand or an ear, then I maintain him for the rest of his life, as he wilna be able to pursue his profession. And if he’s hanged, then I guarantee to have Masses said for his soul for the space of a year. I think that’s fair, no?”

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> How odd that must have sounded to Claire's "modern", 20th century ears. Makes me smile. -- LollyS, 03:35:21 01/04/16 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> I love that Fergus bargained for masses to be said for him. -- LisaW, 05:26:14 01/04/16 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I chuckle every time I picture this small, young man-child sitting opposite a large, much-older giant of a man and bartering for his terms of employment, solemn and proud of his abilities. -- Betsy Barefootspinner, 08:25:39 01/04/16 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Considering all the wee mankin has endured so far in life, I can see him being very self-posessed. He's had to grow up in a hurry to survive. I hate to think of him being used by Madame's clients with particular interests. -- kgp, 09:20:45 01/04/16 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> And how matter of fact he took it. Heartbreaking then and sadly enough, for some now. -- Kathy in PA, 03:24:26 01/05/16 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.