VoyForums

Sunday, December 05, 01:14:06pmLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:38:45 04/14/15 Tue
Author: Happiapple
Subject: Quote of the Day for Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 1: "A New Beginning". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"In the old days," he explained as we went, "and not so long ago, either, when a house was built, it was customary to kill something and bury it under the foundation,
as a propitiation to the local earth spirits. You know, 'He shall lay the foundation thereof in his firstborn and in his youngest son shall he set up the gates of it.' Old as the hills."

I shuddered at eh quotation. "In that case, I suppose it's quite modern and enlightened of them to be using chickens instead. You mean, since the houses are fairly new,
nothing was buried underneath them, and the inhabitants are now remedying the omission."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Now it seems to be tradition to place an evergren tree on top of new construction. I don't think they still bury anything underneath. -- kgp, 06:21:44 04/15/15 Wed

Last edited by author: Wed April 15, 2015 08:53:36   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Lets hope that chickens were all that were used....however history tells us ,the further back we go, the more yukky the "sacrifice"....as in humans and especially 'virgins'.....ahhhh humanity .... -- Aussiewench, 15:06:19 04/15/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> Superstition and magic! I could use a good spell to help my computer, these days... Maybe a dead chicken would do the trick. -- Rita, 15:19:37 04/15/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Couldn't hurt. Take the rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and walk widdershins three times around your desk while chanting "spam-bots begone!" -- kgp, 17:43:56 04/15/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Thank you! Will do! If nothing else, it will entertain the cats ;) -- Rita, 15:23:48 04/16/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.