VoyForums

Tuesday, December 07, 05:06:00amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:27:36 04/16/15 Thu
Author: Happiapple
Subject: Quote of the Day for Friday, April 17, 2015

The following quote is taken from Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 24: "By the Pricking of My Thumbs". Copyright (c) 1991 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"What on earth...?" I picked it up, and promptly dropped it. "Ouch! It has thorns!"

It was a small bundle of plants, plucked up roughly by the roots, and bound together with a bit of black thread. The plants were wilted, but a pungent smell still rose from the drooping leaves.
There was one flower in the bouquet, a crushed primrose, whose thorny stem had pricked my thumb.

I sucked the offended digit, turning the bundle over more cautiously with my other hand. Jamie stood still, staring down at it for a moment. Then he suddenly picked it up, and crossing to the window,
flung it out into the night. Returning to the bed, he energetically brushed the crumbs of earth from the plants' roots into the palm of his hand and threw them out after the bundle.
He closed the window with a slam and came back, dusting his palms.

"It's gone," he said, unnecessarily. He climbed back into bed. "Come back to bed, Sassenach."

"What was it?" I asked climbing in beside him.

"A joke, reckon," he said. "A nasty one, but only a joke."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I wonder if - in the book - Jamie ever investigated that on his own. -- kgp, 02:56:56 04/17/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> That was such a mean thing to do. I'm sure Jamie was just trying to make lite of the thing. -- LisaW, 10:59:43 04/17/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> Jamie was very wrong... that was no joke! -- Rita, 12:32:56 04/17/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.