VoyForums

Tuesday, December 07, 12:25:52amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:21:43 04/27/15 Mon
Author: Rita
Subject: QOTD for Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 11: "The Torremolino's Gambit". Copyright (c) 1994 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Fraser sat still as a statue of cinnabar, only the deep blue eyes alive in his face as he studied the board. The fire had burned down, and the lines of his body were limned with shadow. His hand, all gold and black with the light of the fire on it, rested on the table, still and exquisite as the captured pawn beside it.
The blue stone in John Grey’s ring glinted as he reached for his queen’s bishop. Is it wrong, Hector? he thought. That I should love a man who might have killed you? Or was it a way at last to put things right; to heal the wounds of Culloden for them both?
The bishop made a soft thump as he set the felted base down with precision. Without stopping, his hand rose, as though it moved without his volition. The hand traveled the short distance through the air, looking as though it knew precisely what it wanted, and set itself on Fraser’s, palm tingling, curved fingers gently imploring.
The hand under his was warm—so warm—but hard, and motionless as marble. Nothing moved on the table but the shimmer of the flame in the heart of the sherry. He lifted his eyes then, to meet Fraser’s.
“Take your hand off me,” Fraser said, very, very softly. “Or I will kill you.”

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> John had know idea what that reaction, from Jamie, held. -- LisaW, 05:34:10 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> 'Soft' speech is so much more powerful than shouting. Love it. But, have to say, I've always felt sorry for LJG - he really is so attracted to Jamie. Glad they got to be such good friends. -- CathyS, 05:53:26 04/28/15 Tue

Last edited by author: Tue April 28, 2015 05:54:15   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Do you think Claire and John ever had the type of talk that Jamieand he did any years later where Jamie told him he admired Lord John for trying to protect "the EnglishWoman? It gave John great comfort, I think, to realize Jamie wasn't looking at him as an idiot 16 year old, but as a man trying to protect an innocent woman. Who also happened to be the love of Jamie's life. Do you think he and Claire ever reconciled that? -- Kathy in PA, 08:01:43 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Oh, that's a lovely thought. I would very much like to believe they did so, during their brief marriage. -- Rita, 14:05:17 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Such menace it those soft words. And poor John, totally misreading the situation. Makes me wonder what on earth he was doing in London for Hal to get him sent to Ardsmuir. -- kgp, 07:15:42 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I may be wrong, but got the impression that after Hector's death, John was indulging in reckless sexual behavior and came close to being 'outed'. I think that is why he got sent to Ardsmuir. If anyone has written 'proof' of the reason, I'd love to read it. -- CathyS, 06:16:58 04/29/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.