VoyForums

Wednesday, December 01, 02:07:59pmLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:44:18 04/27/15 Mon
Author: Yvonne
Subject: Murtagh at end of "Drums of Autumn"

Can someone explain to me what Murtagh means when he says "I would ask one thing of ye, lad - let it be the English. Not your ain folk." This being just before Jamie takes Claire back to the stones before the battle at Culloden.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> He means for Jamie to be killed by the English soldiers fighting for the cause instead of by the McKenzies for killing Dougal. -- Lady Elizabeth, 02:29:35 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Different take: I thought he meant, "if you are going to kill people, let it be the Engl. and not your own folk." -- Swarl, 05:31:49 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Hmmmm . . . Swarl, Never thought of it that way. But, I still think it meant that Jamie should be killed by the English, not his own people. -- CathyS, 05:50:23 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> I thought it was don't let the MacKenzies kill you also. Murtagh was always watching for Jamie and being killed for revenge would not mean as much as dying for the cause. But I can see how it could be interpreted the other way. -- kgp, 07:13:42 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Yes, I'm read it as Let the English kill you. That would be in battle. To let MacKenzies kill him would be more like murrrrderrrr. (Notice, I said that in a Scots accent!) ;-) -- Crystal, 15:12:33 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> What Murtagh meant -- Yvonne, 19:52:01 04/28/15 Tue

Thanks guys - that makes it clearer for me. I think this is my 3rd or 4th reading and am always finding something new every time I read. Every time Dianna releases a new book I think "I don't remember that" and feel a need to start again. Love this series!

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.