VoyForums

Tuesday, December 07, 01:13:05amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:48:49 04/28/15 Tue
Author: Rita
Subject: QOTD for Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The following quote is taken from Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 32: "The Path of Honor". Copyright (c) 2007 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

Fraser inhaled through his nose, seeming to swell with it. “Draw on me and be damned,” he said contemptuously. “Armed or no, ye canna master me.”
“You think not? I tell you,” Grey said, and fought so hard to control the fury in his voice that it emerged as no more than a whisper, “I tell you, sir—were I to take you to my bed—I could make you scream. And by God, I would do it.”
Later, he would try to recall what had happened then. Had he moved, reflex and training cutting through the fog of rage that blinded him? Or had Fraser moved, some shred of reason altering his aim in the same split second in which he swung his fist?
Hard as he tried, no answer came. He remembered nothing but the shock of impact as Fraser’s fist struck the boards an inch from his head, and the sob of breath, hot on his face. There had been a sense of presence, of a body close to his, and the impression of some irresistible doom.
Then he was outside, gulping air as though he were drowning, staggering blind in the glare of the setting sun. He had no balance, no bearings; stumbled and put out a hand for anchor, grasped some piece of farm equipment.
His vision cleared, eyes watering—but he saw neither the paddock, the wagon whose wheel he grasped, nor the house and lawns beyond. What he saw was Fraser’s face. When he had said that—what demon had given him that thought, those words? I could make you scream.
Oh, Christ, oh, Christ. Someone had.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I just finished listening to this book last week (for the 3rd or 4th time). This is such a powerful scene, and its repercussions carry on for quite some time. -- Lady-Jane, 19:23:23 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> So sad. These revelations were one neither man wanted. Poor John, he let his emotions take over and then was SO sorry when he realized what truth he saw. -- Kathy in PA, 03:32:28 04/29/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> I can't blame John for getting angry. He spends his whole life denying who he is, fearful that somehow it will get out and his family will suffer for it, and this Scottish idiot is telling him he isn't a proper man, that he can't possibly feel for another man what Jamie feels for Claire. It was a punch that took a long time to finally connect in MOBY but I think there needed to be an outburst between them. -- kgp, 05:38:36 04/29/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> Even with all that Jamie had been through, I would say that was a pretty controlled reaction on Jamie's part. John will regret saying that for many years to come, but his emotions got hold of him. -- LisaW, 05:38:58 04/29/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> I say,'Its time for Jamie to stop punching people.' I think to be taht out of control that many years after the initial PTSD is a bit much. JMHO -- swarl, 09:43:39 04/29/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> It is also a combination of that shame of having been aroused by BJR against his will, PTSD from the torture, and the untenable position he feels himself to be in - slave to an English peer, kept so because of the lust of his jailer, away from his family and men. He does have a rather short fuse though and settles things by force even though it's gotten his arse in trouble many, many times. -- kgp, 11:48:03 04/29/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I don't think he did hit him. It says John felt the "shock of impact as Fraser’s fist struck the boards an inch from his head." Jamie struck the wall, not John, since no trees were around. -- Lady-Jane, 15:47:04 04/29/15 Wed

Last edited by author: Wed April 29, 2015 15:48:38   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> LOL! In all fairness Jamie didn't punch that many people -- he punched the man he thought (with good reason) had raped his daughter, and he punched John in MOBY, and while I love John, he was kind of asking for it. And at the time this scene here happened, there's no way he could have recovered from PTSD, as apart from the few months he was happy with Claire, his life had been sheer misery all those years. Plus this must have pushed all his buttons -- at the same time! -- Rita, 17:25:46 04/29/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> I expected Jamie to rip him limb from limb! -- Piper-Mom, 11:09:55 04/30/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.