VoyForums

Monday, December 06, 09:38:37amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:51:53 12/18/14 Thu
Author: swarl
Subject: Quote of the Day for Thursday, December 18, 2014 - - Swarl

I love how much they learn of each other’s mettle in this scene.

The following quote is taken from Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 133 "Last Resort". Copyright© 2014 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

"They didn't speak. They straightened the bedclothes in silence, put a clean quilt over the worst of the blood, and laid her on it. William wetted his kerchief from the ewer and cleaned the spatters of blood from her face and hands. He hesitated for a moment, then tore the kerchief violently in two and bandaged her torn wrists, then crossed her hands on her breast.
Jamie Fraser was by him then, with a fugitive gleam from the blade of his knife.
"For her sister," he said, and, bending, cut a lock of the shining chestnut hair. He put this into the pocket of the ragged breeches and went quietly out. William heard the brief creak of his footsteps on the stair and understood that he had been left to make his farewell in privacy."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Maybe Jamie was offering William the same opportunity he had with his chance to "bury" his father with the Beardsley man, William was given the chance to say good-bye to his mother. -- LisaW, 05:46:28 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Good catch, Lisa! I never thought of that. -- Kathy in PA, 06:03:46 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I think he's giving William the chance to weep if he needs to but I don't think William equates Jane with either Geneva or Isobel. Neither of them was a suicide, the only connection I see might be the shining chestnut hair. With Beardsley, it was the effects of the apoplexy that stung Jamie - he imagined his father being so incapacitated. He never knew if Brian had died on the spot or had lingered like Beardsley did. -- kgp, 08:22:20 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Just my take on it. Not necessarily what DG was writing about. -- LisaW, 12:02:14 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> just making conversation :) -- kgp, 13:44:43 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> I think it will be impossible for William to hold onto his anger about Jamie. Lord John and Hal, probably the two most important men in William's life at this point, respect and admire Jamie. Even love him in Lord John's case. I think this will help William accept the truth and also grow in his understanding of society's strict "rules" and how sometimes they just aren't right. Rereading The Brotherhood of the Blade and the concept of what is "honor" is discussed. It's not something that's black and white, but has to be decided in circumstances. I hope William comes to recognize how lucky he is to have BOTH fathers. -- Kathy in PA, 05:48:39 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I believe at the end of MOBY is is already moving on towards acceptance. And I think he may end up settling in America -- I have a feeling he will let go of the Earldom, since he feels it's not his by right, but the plantation is his in his own right, left to him by his aunt Isobel, so it would be fitting he'd move there. And being closer to Jamie will help. Plus I don't think Brianna will let her brother just be absent from her life. -- Rita, 16:33:02 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Brianna and Willie getting to know each other. Fireworks and lots of fierce love. Hmmm. Never had thought about it. Something to look forward to!!! -- Swarl, 17:16:40 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Once he gets over Brianna "knowing" too :) -- Kathy in PA, 17:27:59 12/18/14 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> they already have a lot in common - she can help him get through the re-self-identification process. -- kgp, 06:30:57 12/19/14 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> "Jamie Fraser was with him then..."-beautiful! -- fionaj, 14:49:38 12/19/14 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.