VoyForums

Tuesday, November 30, 10:29:32amLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:02:25 01/04/15 Sun
Author: Rita
Subject: Quote of the Day for Monday, January 5, 2015

The following quote is taken from The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, Chapter 5. Why Am Not I at Peace? Copyright (c) 2011 by Diana Gabaldon. All rights reserved.

He was prey to the most extraordinary array of emotions. For the most part, he succeeded in keeping his thoughts of William strictly confined, though he thought of him every day. He seldom saw the child, and when he did, it was only as a glimpse of a woolly bundle in the arms of Nanny Elspeth or Peggy, the nursemaid, taking the air on one of the balconies. He had accustomed himself to thinking of William as a sort of small, glowing light in his mind, something like the flame of a wax candle lit before a saint’s statue in a dark chapel. He couldn’t afford such a candle, and wouldn’t be allowed into the Helwater chapel, but liked to imagine himself lighting one when he said his prayers at night. He would watch the flame catch and swell, wavering a bit and then growing tall and still. He would go to sleep then and feel it burn, a peaceful watch fire in his heart.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Pure poetry. This gives me goose bumps. -- CathyS, 19:39:23 01/04/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> The sorrow expressed in this is almost gut wrenching.And yet, like the candle mentioned, there is a spark of hope there as well. -- Valerie L., 08:53:00 01/05/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I just read this two days ago, and I'd actually highlighted the part about the candle as I was going to post it tonight at the Kirk with a link to the candles...great minds. :) -- Lady-Jane, 09:35:29 01/05/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> What a lovely way to describe how he keeps William in his heart. -- LisaW, 10:31:07 01/05/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.