VoyForums

Sunday, November 28, 05:53:53pmLogin ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:53:55 01/20/15 Tue
Author: CindyG
Subject: QOTD for Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The following quote is taken from Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, chapter 28, Virtue's Guardian. Copyright © 1994 by Diana Gabaldon, All Rights Reserved.

“'Almost fifteen!' Young Ian corrected, sitting up and looking interested.
'Well, that is certainly sufficient,' Fergus said, with a glance at Madame Jeanne for confirmation. 'Your brothers were no older when I first brought them here, and they acquitted themselves honorably.'
'You what?' Jamie goggled at his protégé.
'Well, someone had to,' Fergus said, with slight impatience. 'Normally, a boy’s father—but of course, le Monsieur is not—meaning no disrespect to your esteemed father, of course,' he added, with a nod to Young Ian, who nodded back like a mechanical toy, 'but it is a matter for experienced judgment, you understand?'
'Now'—he turned to Madame Jeanne, with the air of a gourmand consulting the wine steward—'Dorcas, do you think, or Penelope?'
'No, no,' she said, shaking her head decidedly, 'it should be the second Mary, absolutely. The small one.'
'Oh, with the yellow hair? Yes, I think you are right,' Fergus said approvingly. 'Fetch her, then.'
Jeanne was off before Jamie could manage more than a strangled croak in protest. 'But—but—the lad canna—' he began.
'Yes, I can,' Young Ian said. 'At least, I think I can.' It wasn’t possible for his face to grow any redder, but his ears were crimson with excitement, the traumatic events of the day completely forgotten.
'But it’s—that is to say—I canna be letting ye—' Jamie broke off and stood glaring at his nephew for a long moment. Finally, he threw his hands up in the air in exasperated defeat. 'And what am I to say to your mother?' he demanded, as the door opened behind him.
Framed in the door stood a very short young girl, plump and soft as a partridge in her blue silk chemise, her round sweet face beaming beneath a loose cloud of yellow hair. At the sight of her, Young Ian froze, scarcely breathing.
When at last he must draw breath or die, he drew it, and turned to Jamie. With a smile of surpassing sweetness, he said, 'Well, Uncle Jamie, if I were you'—his voice soared up in a sudden alarming soprano, and he stopped, clearing his throat before resuming in a respectable baritone—'I wouldna tell her. Good night to ye, Auntie,' he said, and walked purposefully forward."

I know this is a little long, but I hope you will all forgive me such a tantalizing Wednesday quote! The first time is always special, right?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> This made me start the day with a smile. And I love how incidents like these, that when we first read them seem like they're only small detours from the plot, end up being important in unexpected ways. -- Rita, 03:42:06 01/21/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Very true. His "initiation" saved him from Geillis. -- Kathy in PA, 05:04:07 01/22/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> As y have seen, I tend to the long side inmy quotes as well. I think you've done a bonnie job. Ian is so sweet. -- Swarl, 05:40:11 01/21/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> I love how in charge Fergus is, and Jamie is stammering. Ian is so sweet in this scene! -- LisaW, 06:51:14 01/21/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> I truly laughed out loud at this scene every time I read it. Fergus was like the director of a major scene in a play! -- Lady Linda, 07:02:40 01/21/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> I was grinning the whole time I was reading this. Thanks. -- Valerie L., 07:46:56 01/21/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> Such a fun quote. Love it! -- CathyS, 08:33:49 01/21/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.