VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:28:44 01/19/07 Fri
Author: Meg
Subject: Your comment about "bending to a lowly Lieutenant" I think pretty much summed up the Captain's attitude. The kid had an attitude and was an insufferable pain in the rear end. But...(inside)
In reply to: Deb 's message, "I don't agree. I didn't think that the captain manipulated the Lt. into anything. The Lt. had a free choice to obey orders and he chose not to obey. The captain knew the Lt.'s tendency to think that he was above the chain of command and the Lt. proved him right. In the military you have to follow orders of your superiors. The Lt. had a chip on his shoulders stemming from his childhood. Inside..." on 11:10:59 01/18/07 Thu

But the Captain admitted that he gave the order expecting to be disobeyed. Not a "He's goign to raise a stink about this, but it's still an order that needs to be given" sort of knowing. The way the Captain made it sound, it was more like "All right, you stubborn little jerk. Go ahead, I'm just waiting for you to pull attitude again so that I can teach you a lesson." Maybe he didn't intend it that way, but with the Captain's attitude on the Stand, that was the way he made it sound.

Then, he admitted that an apology would have been enough for him, but because the kid wouldn't apologize he'd take it all the way through the court system. That made his action seem less like correction and more like being petty. If it was serious enough to warrant spending time on a trial, then how can you just brush something away with an apology? I don't get that, and how making a comment like that wouldn't get the Captain a reprimand.

I remember reading an article about how they always tried to have the endings of the episodes be the good guy winning, even if their good guy might not be the traditional good guy. This one felt more like we had no good guy and either side winning would have been frustrating and made it feel like justice wouldn't have been served.

The scene with his father didn't make me as angry because it seemed more like a case of "Foot in mouth disease." The SecNav was just about on his way to burying the hatchet and then made the comment about it being in the Navy's best interest or something? Can't remember the specific line. SecNav didn't mean it to, but he basically undid what he was saying with that one comment. As soon as he said it I winced.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> I think that's one of the problems -- p, 21:43:14 02/22/07 Thu

The SecNac's son had a dislike of authority. His first instinct is to rebel against it.

The issue of the apology was, is it important to be right or do something you truly love.

The LT had to be right.

One of the thingd I learned in the service was CO come and go, all you have to do is wait them out. They will be gone soon enough.

As for the Captain, his career is over. He won't move up in the ranks or get better assignments.

That should have been pointed out to the Lt.

As for Mac's advice, she was wrong. As much as I agree it should have been one man's character vs another, the judge wasn't going to let it happen.

Serbing had decided it was going to be about the order, not whether or not the captain had the right to test his junior officer.

I personnally believe that once Harm got the Captain to admit what he had done, the Lt should have been found not guilty.

I would also like to say it was probably the worse written trial. The enlisted people weren't willing to testify.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.