VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]
Subject: Re: Gino's Newark DE and Prices Corner DE

Author:
Michael Jopson
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:35:44 01/14/11 Fri
In reply to: Bruce Haase 's message, "Re: Gino's Newark DE and Prices Corner DE" on 15:19:17 03/30/09 Mon

I worked at the 896 Gino's in Newark in 1970 for $1.15/hr. When I was due to get my first raise of 10 cents, minimum wage went up a dime to $1.25/hr and there went my raise. In a 40 hr workweek, I'd clear about $30 to $33.

I started as a fry cook and had to lug those 50 or 100lb burlap sacks of potatoes into the sink to rinse them off before loading them into the skinner to peel them. If you left them in too long (sometimes for fun) they would grind down to little cigar shapes. Then you would take each potato by hand and cut them one at a time into fries. Next you'd take the freshly cut fries and load the baskets for frying before and during the rush. We used to salt them heavily to encourage soda sales. They always told us "You can't use too much salt on the fries"

We would make root-beer floats for ourselves by filling a cup with milkshake mix and topping it off with root-beer.

I would also have to help the chicken cook (Marty Hollobaugh). We would roll chicken pieces in the secret flour mix to prepare for deep-frying (that could be dangerous dropping the chicken into the hot fryers and we frequently got burnt from hot oil splashing). We cooked and tried many different concoctions rolled in the secret mix!

I think I ate a Giant almost every day for my lunch! Everyone loved them!

Working on the grill was down to a science - you had to be fast and you had to be good.

I worked for a manager by the name of Dave or Pat? Hart. Over the years I would bump into him and the asst mgr (I forget his name) occasionally - He was much nicer when I wasn't working for him.

I also had the pleasure of meeting one of the many Colonel Sanders that would travel to visit the locations.

We always had a great time!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.