VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Celtic Flame Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Welcome to the message board for the designers and makers of Irish Dance Costumes, Irish Dancers of all ages, and others interested in Irish Dance. Please feel free to ask questions and give advice often! Check out the FAQ for these topics: Puffy Headband Instructions 4 & 5 Panel Dress Instructions and Poll Zipper Poll
FAQ Link

Subject: Boy's vest's

Author:
Andrea
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 30, 06:30:36pm

Hi there, I am a fairly experienced costume/dress maker and I would like to attempt to make my son a vest. Is there an ID vest pattern available or do people just use regular vest patterns and also is there anyway that you can buy embroidery designs on line - I tried Taoknitter but can't seem to get a reply from them.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:

Subject: no capes?

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 30, 08:52:23am

It looks like some of the dresses coming out do not have capes anymore---just embroidery on the back that looks like a cape, but it is not detachable. Has anyone seen one up close? and is this the case?

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone have any experience with the Happy Machines with the large extension hoop? Cost compared to the Toyota/Tajima equivalent and size of extension table compared to those two?

Author:
Thanks in advance
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 29, 07:02:50am

Subject: Embroidery machines

Author:
Gemma
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 10:36:29am

Hey. I need machine advice... What are your recommendations for an embroidery machine. My husband has agreed to buy me one so I can progress 😊

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone know what colour the crystals are on the grey embroidery on the new dresses coming out?

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 05:25:03am

Replies:

Subject: Iron-on Vinyl on costumes

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 18, 12:03:25pm

I'm sure many of you have noted the new rising star school costume budget option- $450/dress.
They appear to have their designs applied with iron on vinyl instead of embroidery.

Do you think it would be possible to do a prizewinner level solo dress with final instead of embroidery? I have a vinyl cutting machine and have designed T-shirt appliqué using iron on vinyl.

Replies:

Subject: Can anyone help me find the nice dark but bright fuchsia pink fabric that the BNDMs are currently using please? Not sparkle satin, something a litte darker and without a sheen to it. Thank you

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 17, 05:38:20am

Replies:

Subject: I came across this old clip om youtube. how would you fix the tight shoulder problem, is it too big or too small....

Author:
sdm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 11:51:32am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPgtlEPUHVQ

Replies:

Subject: Interfacing to use for stretch velvet

Author:
Lisa
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 11, 04:42:50pm

I am making my daughter a solo dress for the first time. Using stretch velvet and want to know what interfacing do you recommend for securing the heavy crystals? I didn't know if fuseable will work with stretch> or if we need to use heavy weight sew in?
Thank you for your help!

Replies:

Subject: boxpleats

Author:
Linda (Stressed out)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 09, 07:44:09am

Can anyone help with box pleating? The pattern pieces curve and I cannot get the edges of my "boxes" straight. The first few are fine, then as the pattern piece curves, the boxes no longer work. Since the upper curve is smaller than the lower curve this makes sense, but I can't correct it. Don't know what I'm missing here.

Replies:

Subject: If you are a dressmaker using sticky back Velcro for capes please stop!! Do you honestly believe that they will never have to be altered?? I alter them constantly sticky back Velcro is lazy! That sticky film is horrible to get off, it pulls stitching & destroys velvet! Please use the sew on kind or better yet snaps!

Author:
Please forgive my rant for the day!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 08, 12:29:21pm

Subject: Anyone else depressed about losing Hancock fabric stores?

Author:
I am
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 01:29:13pm

Replies:

Subject: Irish dance dress stiffener

Author:
Jean Shaw (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 02, 11:03:22am

Can anyone please explain how to make a stiffener for an Irish dance dress I have been dressmaking for many years but have never made an Irish dance dress, I can do everything but don't understand the stiffener thank you .

Replies:

Subject: Speaking of fit. ...

Author:
frustrated
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 24, 11:54:06pm

I've made hundreds of dresses with no fit issues, now all the sudden problems. I have no clue what is going on except it could be due to the extreme drop waist? Ready to throw in the towel. so sad.

Replies:

Subject: When I see pictures of my carefully fitted costumes on the Worlds stage, the over exaggerated positions the dancers contort into when posing, causing the bodices to look so ill fitting makes me cringe... Am I the only one?

Author:
dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 10:36:38am

Replies:

Subject: I've always done my embroidery first then sewn the darts but this is a load of work to get the design to line up.

Author:
help please!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 21, 04:10:10pm

I've noticed that the bndm are embroidering straight over the dart. How are they doing it? I just get loads of wrinkles when I frame it.

Replies:

Subject: Update on thedesign used without permission!

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 21, 08:00:55am

Today I received an email after I send an invoice, two weeks ago.
This is the answer the TC client gives for using the design:
Dear Madam,

To answer some of the items that you have brought up below.

1. The vision of the dress was mine, i have not stolen what i requested. The dress was drawn by yourself with my creative input it was by no means all your own vision. So when i go to another dress maker and request a new dress with the same ideas, this does not mean i stole from you, just that the new dress maker is making what i asked for. I have all emails containing all my original requests.

you can not under any stretch of the imagination think you designed the following , as exclusive works of yourself.

The neck, which is used by nearly every dance school in Irish dance at some point in time.
sleeves, these are also not exclusive to the design
cuffs, also used throughout Irish dance
Skirt, which i must add, the skirt on my new dress is not a princess line but in fact a separate skirt to the top.
Shawl, we do not have one. instead we have a custom made Crest of the School of dancing.
Lining, is pink which also was not part of the original draft.

2. I did not ask for a mock up dress to be made. In all the years that we conducted business i never request a mock up dress. This was entirely your decision and when i questioned your daughter about the logics and cost she pointed out that it was fine and that she could use it for Displays with Sandun and Denzel, the material used was something you had hanging around the workshop.

3. Knot Work, this is very similar on my new dress, but Celtic knot work can be found throughout the Irish dance world and they themselves have been copied from original knot work found in many of our ancient books.

If you can prove that they are registered designs of you and you can provide the relevant paper work from the appropriate authorities than i am sure I would be happy to change our design. If this is the case I would be happy to negotiate a price for the one time use of said designs on our mock dress that you saw on the internet. The said invoice will of course have to be supplied with your KVK number and BTW number of your registered business.

Till this is the case i will not entertain any further correspondence on this matter.

When I addressed her in the email/invoice I send her, I used her name. She hasn't got the decency to do so in her email.
I left out her name, but I still want to warn other dressmakers about her.

Replies:

Subject: How much to charge to do the digitizing and embroidery

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 01:53:01pm

Hi all. I have been approached to do the digitizing and embroidery of a dance dress. I have no idea what to charge. Any thoughts? It would be an average amount of embroidery/digitizing work. Do you charge by stitch?Hour? Flat fee?

Subject: What to do when somebody uses your design without permission?

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 07, 05:39:44am

This happened to me. And what to do now?

Replies:

Subject: Anyone from US ever ordered from White Lodge? How much was the shipping?

Author:
can't find it on their website.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 28, 04:09:36pm

Thank you.

Replies:

Subject: Sweat stains while dancing

Author:
Linda
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 22, 12:47:12am

My daughter sweats a bit while dancing and one of her current costumes, not Irish but a body suit, shows darker under the arms. It's from Wear Moi and wine colored 90% polyamide & 10% elasthane. The front of the bodice does have a black lining but nothing under the arms. Would dress shields be the best solution or an additional lining under the arm pits of sweat absorbing fabric? Thanks in advance.

Replies:

Subject: Crystal color recommendations...

Author:
Suzanne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 10:43:04pm

I am ordering crystals for a dress, and have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know what size large pear shape crystals are usually used on Gavin Dresses? I think I can just measure them and figure this out, if there isn't a "standard" size.

2. The dress is fire engine Red. Just standard red velvet with Red sequined (flat sequins)applique. I want to put red crystals on the Red sequin applique. Does anyone know which "Red" Crystal is best to match a standard fire engine red? Siam? Light Siam? Hyacinth? Red chili pepper?

I will probably order from Dreamtime creation.. if that makes a difference. And I believe I will be ordering the 2088. (Isn't that the standard one used on dresses?).

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Replies:

Subject: Glue for Swarovski Crystals

Author:
CF
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 15, 06:03:12am

Hi There

I'm trying to help out a friend save some money by blinging her own costume and buckles.

Can you guys let me know which glue you recommend for fabric and which would probably work best on buckles?

I'm worried about using the E6000 because it is toxic. Do I need to be worried about breathing in the vapours too much or just make sure I don't get it on my skin.

If we were to also go down the path of blinging her own socks do you know what size crystals we should buy and is there a "type" of swarovski to use on socks.

Sorry for so many questions . I'm trying to be a good friend but I'm worried I'm in way over my head

Replies:

Subject: Ok frustrated and baffled..

Author:
dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 11, 08:20:52pm

The last few dresses I've sent off are bunching in the back and I can't figure out why. They say they fit at the waist, so if its not riding up, how can this be. Any ideas?

Replies:

Subject: With all the new style dresses covered in heavy embroidery from neck to hem, have you had to increase your costs to include all the extra time, drawing designs, planning lay out, extra machine time? they are taking forever to make and buyers expect to pay the same as a far simpler design...

Author:
sdm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 10:26:33am

I wonder whether the big names charge extra as well?

Replies:

Subject: Dart Locations -

Author:
old dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 01, 10:05:22pm

I am noticing a new trend in the bust dart location from some of the bigger name dressmakers. Instead of having the dart go from the side seam under the arm toward the center bust, it is running from the lower armscye across. Along with this change I am seeing wider cut shoulders and more fitted sleeves. These are all design choices but the bust darts aren't always pointing to the correct area and it makes it hard to alter. Thoughts?!?

Replies:

Subject: Viking Husqvarna

Author:
Kathleen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 29, 12:18:57pm

There is no one I trust more than the ladies of this board. Sadly, my antique Elna (circa 1957) has finally given out and it's time for a new machine. I don't do much sewing (am not a dressmaker) but have sewn on and off for years and would like to do more, now that I am retired. A friend's m-i-l has a Viking Husqvarna Rose that she bought a few years ago for $2000 and has used very little. She is elderly and downsizing and (knowing that there is a potential buyer out there), is asking $1000. I have no idea how much it's worth. I read on a quilting forum about someone that bought one on eBay and it didn't come with any of the embroidery equipment that was supposed to be a part of it.
I have already purchased a Janome (Magnolia 7330) that I'm liking a lot, but would buy the Viking at the right price, since it likely has more features and can do more. I'd like to work with heavier fabrics, lightweight leathers and try machine embroidery ... Thoughts? I'm thinking of offering $600 to $700 ... does that seem like a fair price? Insulting? Overypaying? Bargain? Thank you for any insights!

Replies:

Subject: Speechless.

Author:
?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 12:49:49pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0bdNf0MTuU&feature=em-uploademail-smbtn

Replies:

Subject: What am I doing wrong in kick panel on skirt?

Author:
Help (Confused)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 11:50:55am

When I fold & sew the kick panel, the side droops on the skirt so it is an uneven skirt length. And when I change the angle of how the kick panel is sewn so that it doesn't have an uneven skirt length, whilst it looks even length, the side seams of the skirt then sit at a funny angle in the underskirt. Whilst you can't see it on outside, I'd like to know if there is a way I could have these seams sitting straight up & down as opposed to an almost 45 degree angle that I end up with when I bring the kick panel forward so that the skirt length doesn't droop? I hope I have explained my dilemma clearly. I would appreciate any guidance on how you finish skirt so that it kicks well, sits well & looks decent in the underskirt.

Replies:

Subject: Hello :) Can a kind person recommend a nice rich black non stretch black velvet for a solo, pref from the UK.

Author:
Thank you.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 03:48:40am

Subject: What is the strongest interfacing used in stabilizing ID costumes? Have tried many types of Pellon products - would like the one BNDMs use. Thanks.

Author:
ID Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 10, 11:21:51am

Replies:

Subject: What size pears are considered to be "large" and "medium"?

Author:
thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 10, 11:21:43am

Replies:

Subject: Dressmaker / Seamstress Needed Columbus Ohio

Author:
Melissa Widman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 07, 11:40:41am

Hello! I'm seeking a dressmaker / seamstress for my adult dance group in the Columbus area. We already have an embroiderer, dress pattern, and some material for more of our school dresses to be made. We're also looking to construct a simple, light-weight, beginner dress. We need them for our performance season, spring-summer. Can you help us?

Subject: Drop waist.irish dance costume pattern

Author:
Jo Rivers (smeee)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 03, 11:23:43am

I am desperate to find a drop waist pattern for Irish dance costume. I am going to make one for my daughter and really need some idea of where to get one. Can anyone help me!?

Replies:

Subject: Happy Christmas and best wishes for a Prosperous New Year to all the tired dressmakers out there! Have a good holiday, recharge the batteries and enjoy some family time before oiling those embroidery machines again all too soon

Author:
!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 07:39:11pm

Replies:

Subject: Steaming vs. ironing

Author:
Arleen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 12, 11:52:11am

Hoping to get some advice from dressmakers. Is it OK to steam or iron a dress that has been stored for a while, flat, in a dress bag? The fabric is silk, or silk poly, with ruffles and crystals. I'm concerned about leaving water stains or puckering seams. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone still use a regular machine for

Author:
satin stitching?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 11, 10:25:38pm

Replies:

Subject: Link Test

Author:
UsedSoloDresses
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 09:32:22pm

https://www.usedsolodresses.com
http://www.usedsolodresses.com

Subject: Are there any sites to buy Celtic embroidery to download besides Emblibrary , Embroidery. com & Taoknitter

Author:
Thanks-OP
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 02:21:30pm

Replies:

Subject: Mandarin collar question

Author:
dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 21, 11:43:51am

I use 3 layers of pellon and collars look great until a few times of wearing, they start to bend and crease. Any thoughts or ideas how to fix this or what to put in them? I tried boning once and that worked to fix the issue.
What do you guys do?

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone currently use the HAPPY machines, the same as Rising Star? I have a tajima and I hear the Happy machines are less expensive, but they obviously do the same job.

Author:
interested in hearing from those who might have one.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 20, 08:56:14am

Subject: does anybody know how to get blood out of satin?

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 01, 07:52:13pm

Replies:

Subject: Anybody had experience with the Innov-is V3 ? And the Juki TL-98P ?

Author:
Sylvia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 29, 07:09:40am

Has anybody expererience with the Innov-is V3 and the Brother PE Design Next software? Doing all my embroidery by handguided satinstitch on my Memorycraft 6600 Professional now. And have an opportunity to buy a new machine for the embroidery. What's your experience with the machine and software?
And has anyone ever used the Juki TL-98P ? It's a machine that only does straight stitching, but is it any good through layers of gathered velvet + vilene(thick)+ gathered tule + gathered satin??? It's supposed to be a machine that can handle all that in one go, without skipping stitches. I appreciate your info about these machines, thanks in advance.

Subject: Does anyone have any advice about the Wilcom E3 software please? Do you use it, is it good, is the Corel bit useful, etc. Thinking about buying it but would love to hear other people's experiences first

Author:
thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 29, 06:19:00am

Replies:

Subject: Pear source

Author:
dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 26, 05:11:35pm

I found some glass pears 10.5 x 18 on ebay from hong kong, and thought I'd get some to see if there is any difference from the ones I pay around $8.00 for 4. I got some clears, 44 of them for $4.88 They are identical. So just wanted to share the find since pears are popular, and they come in all colors.
There is no difference at all in the look they are exactly the same.
So 44 from US is $84.00 from them it's $4.88. Helps to keep cost down A LOT.

Replies:

Subject: Retired Bedazzler Crystal Sale:

Author:
Click for email
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 25, 01:05:25pm

Clearing out the closet! List of items & prices inside. Thanks for looking!

Replies:

Subject: Where can I donate fabric?

Author:
Daughter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 18, 03:56:15pm

My mother recently passed away. She was a wonderful seamstress and made some beautiful clothes. She also left behind a HUGE stash of fabric. Some of it I will be able to use (I make quilts) but I believe that most of it I will not be able to use. Any suggestions on where to donate the fabric?

Replies:

Subject: Can anyone tell me how to do the multiple lines of satin stitch side by side to fill an object (maybe it's called embossed?) instead of special satin stitch please? I have the Bernina software.

Author:
Thank you!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 11, 08:23:52pm

Replies:

Subject: looking for someone who can do alterations near Vancover?

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 11, 02:37:00pm

Subject: Hello I am looking for a design to buy for a dress i am making, does anyone digtise designs for sale.. I am trying to contact Ann Donahue but i am not sure if she got message

Author:
Laura
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 09:38:46am

Subject: 27x17mm pear Crystal AB

Author:
IDMOM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 10:46:10am

Good afternoon !
I am wondering if any of you can help me out.
I am looking for 27x17mm pear Crystal AB. All I can find is sew on ones . do they still exist? or are people using the sew on ones?
thank you in advance!

Replies:

Subject: Thoughts on pricing for crystals.

Author:
blinged out
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 03, 04:13:32pm

So the norm has been to simply charge double the cost of each individual crystal when pricing for crystals. With all the new styles, heavily embroidered and FULL of crystals the cost of crystalizing a dress just seems like such a shock to clients when they get their dress quote.

It appears that most are asking for this type of dress but because it's a SNDM creating the dress, it's supposed to cost a fraction of what they'd pay elsewhere. Is anyone else having these issues?

Any suggestions for softening the blow of crystal costs for the clients? Getting fed up with taking the time to crystalize a dress with little to no compensation.....open to suggestions and other points of view :)

Replies:

Subject: Rhinestone Biz

Author:
IDmom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 05:53:27pm

Good evening ladies. I am going to bling out my daughter's dress and I was wondering if anyone has used Rhinestone Biz out in California ? I do not want to spend all that money for "Bling" and be disappointed! Also , if you have any other places to try ( I need to find pears and Roivli ( I'm spelling that incorrectly) that would be great!
Thank you in advance!

Replies:

Subject: Adding collar to solo dress

Author:
-
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 25, 06:10:49pm

Any suggestions for adding a collar to a solo dress? It currently has a sweetheart neckline and the dress is black stretch velvet. I am taking it to a seamstress that has done many Irish dance dresses, but does mostly bridal gowns. Other than providing photos of collars we like and those we do not, are there any particular instructions I should provide?

Replies:

Subject: Hello ladies, can someone offer any tips on the bet way to get rid of body odor on a second hand dress?

Author:
thanks.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 20, 02:27:52pm

Replies:

Subject: Looking for best pink crystal color on bright pink satin? Thank you!

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 20, 07:51:40am

Replies:

Subject: I use Bernina software. I have done my usual embroidered skirt on a rectangle template. I'm wondeing if there's any way to distort that rectangle shaped skirt into a curved skirt? I'm thinking no, but worth a shot to ask.

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 09:27:05am

Subject: Wondering if anyone would mind sharing their hourly rate. I charge $20-25

Author:
Depending on fabric.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 13, 09:17:07pm

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone tried using just one layer of heavy weight tear away backing in your large Toyota/Tajima machine?

Author:
Going to try it, wondering if anyone has opinions
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 04, 04:00:52pm

Replies:

Subject: Panic! I just started looking into my "new to me toyota expert".

Author:
Joan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 21, 12:30:03pm

The instructions are not very detailed. I turned the hand knobs just to see what they are for and now I am getting the needle error. According to the instructions, I am trying to adjust the needle position by hand but the knob turns only half way and then stops!
Help! Did I already brake it? Or is there something simple that I am overlooking?

Replies:

Subject: Sticky stabilizer

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 20, 07:09:20pm

Does everyone use the sticky-tear-away stabilizer but me? I tried one that I bought on ebay and I had a difficulty pealing if off the fabric. Do you have a favorite brand?

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone found a supplier for the new mango leaf rainbow fabric used on the Gavin skirts? A customer has made an inquiry & I can not find it.

Author:
Thank you in advance-Barb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 17, 05:33:34pm

Replies:

Subject: Are we in the wrong niche?

Author:
$$ maker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 26, 03:13:24pm

anyone ever made a showmanship jacket for a rodeo girl?

http://www.justpeachyonline.com/

Makes me think I'm underpriced!

Replies:

Subject: Heading out to Niagara Falls for few days. I googled fabric stores and it looks like there are few on Canadian side. Are any better than the other? Any recommendations?

Author:
Thank you.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 23, 11:13:53pm

Subject: Is it reasonable to pay $8000 for 2011 Toyota ESP9100?

Author:
Thank you.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 23, 04:40:15pm

Replies:

Subject: Green velvet?

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 11:32:24am

I am hunting for an emerald green micro velvet, any suggestions? I think I found it in a cotton velvet in the UK, but would LOVE to find a korea micro velvet in the US.

Back in the day, I used to buy this color/type from IDfabrics.com, but they aren't selling fabric anymore.I know it exists! Just trying to source it.

Replies:

Subject: Looking for a specific medium orange-ish stretch velvet

Author:
Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 20, 02:12:52pm

...that has glitter/twinkle to it. When folded or when the dancer moves, the fabric looks kind of pink.

Having trouble matching the bodice of a dress!

Any & all help is much appreciated!

Replies:

Subject: Mother of the Bride in need of advice

Author:
Patti
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 16, 03:23:01pm

Good Afternoon ladies. My daughter is getting married in two weeks and we will need to transport my gown which has a taffeta skirt via automobile on a two hour trip. ( along with a dog, and all of our other stuff, lol) I am worried about wrinkles and how to remove them if that does happen. I know you have experience with all types of fabrics so I was hoping that one of you kind souls may have any suggestions for me?

Replies:

Subject: Designing question from a ID mom - what do you think of same-color Swarovski crystals on a solid fabric (i.e. red on red) to bling it up, without making the stones stand out? more

Author:
Laurie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 02:48:33pm

My ID's dress has a plain drop waist, and it has a couple of marks on it that we can't get out. I don't want to over-bling that area, so I thought about getting red crystals (same size as what's on the pleats on the lower part of the skirt) to fill in the area, which is red velvet... so that the marks are covered. I also thought we'd sprinkle the crystals throughout the dress in other spots so it wouldn't be so obvious. Another fabric overlay wouldn't look good.

Is that ever done? I'm waiting for the crystals to arrive, and will place them before I commit. But I'm new to all this blinging out of dresses... don't want to ruin her dress. I would love any opinions!

Thanks so much, Laurie

Replies:

Subject: Need a piece of material for our ID's Siopa Rince dress - to replace the front yolk at the drop waist - do they sell extra material, if available? I emailed them.... waiting to hear back. Thanks for any insight!

Author:
CC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 11:15:32am

Replies:

Subject: How necessary is it to provide a sketch of a custom dress for approval before making the dress? How many dressmakers do provide one? It seems to me that unless it is a highly professional Photoshop sketch, it is never going to look like the finished dress

Author:
Thoughts?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 13, 11:11:20pm

Replies:

Subject: Thinking about design for daughters next dress (which we will be ordering as I am not talented enough to be able to make these!) and had a question. Can you embroider on top of sequin fabrics?

Author:
Thank you all for the help!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 12, 10:43:58am

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone come across any other online suppliers of Twinkle/Crystal satin other than SY and Whitelodge??

Author:
Looking for more colour options...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 12, 09:16:27am

Replies:

Subject: Toyota 850 and 860

Author:
Thank you.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, July 11, 01:19:10pm

Hi ladies. What would be the biggest hoop that the Toyota 850 or 860 accommodates? I am assuming the X-Panto is for the newer models 9000/9100?
I am looking into used 850 and/or 860 but the seller is very slow with responding.

Replies:

Subject: selling all my designs and rights to them if anyones interested. 75.00ea

Author:
thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 09, 08:46:07am

http://thevelvetcastle.wix.com/the-velvet-castle#!drawingroom/c5em

Subject: Sewing Machines

Author:
Kristine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 03, 05:03:09am

I have used a bottom of the line brother for 30 years for nearly everything you can think of including Irish dance dresses. I really think it is about time I upgrade. I've test driven both industrial zig zags and domestics with all bells & whistles. Im leaning toward industrial for Irish dance dress construction and for the satin stitch ... then investing in industrial embroidery machine also. but would love to know anyone else's experience with machines.

Replies:

Subject: Any new dress styles at Nationals?

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 03, 03:27:20am

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone know where to get the large teardrop "gold metallic" coloured stones that are being used on some of the Celtic Star dresses? Have had a request from a client and am having no luck sourcing....

Author:
Thanks in advance
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, June 29, 08:02:18am

Replies:

Subject: Sooo, are ice skating skirts going to be the new irish dance dress?

Author:
smh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 25, 12:51:23pm

How many here would be able to make these? Stretch fabrics are not easy.

Replies:

Subject: Back skirt question...

Author:
Thoughts??
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 06:55:29pm

In the past and up till recently I've always constructed my back skirts with a pleat. Even on a soft skirt, I will make the underpanel a couple of inches bigger than the back bodice and create a pleat with that excess. It does make the back waist seam a little bulky in that area especially with the layer of underpanel and soft skirt, lining etc. however my logic is that having that pleat there gives the corresponding let out room to make the skirt bigger around the waist to match up with the bodice if it is ever let out from the side seams.

However I've noticed from looking at other dressmakers work (eg second hand big names etc) that they were not including this pleat on soft skirts. The only "let out" is about an inch in the centre back at the zipper. However this is the let out to correspond with the centre back if the bodice. There doesn't seem to be any where in the skirt that you could get the extra space if the side seams were let out. It seems silly as there's extra space sitting there in the bodice seams, but no way I can see to make the skirt bigger, preventing much alteration.

Just wondering other Dm's thoughts on this. It seems the skirt and waist construction would be simpler without the pleat and less bulky, but I don't want someone left with a dress that can't be altered if they ever need it.

Replies:

Subject: Wanting to sell dance dress fabrics.

Author:
Kelley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 18, 03:42:31pm

I just went through 12 boxes of fabrics...most were used for irish dance dresses. I have silks, lycras, sequined fabrics, some swaroski crystals. I am not sure what fabrics are used for current dresses. I am hoping someone could let me know what the current fabrics are and where I might be able to sell everything at once...if possible. Located in Southern California.

Replies:

Subject: Hello, I'm looking for Swarovski flatback crystals size 40 in Citrine AB. The biggest I can locate is 34.

Author:
Google was no help.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 05:31:34am

Replies:

Subject: Probably a long shot, but would anyone have any Swarovski #4717 Delta fancy stone 15.5 aqua?

Author:
Debra
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 01:18:57pm

Any place I can get them from require a full pkg of 72 for between $140-$170...i only NEED 2, would like as many as 12...

Replies:

Subject: I just saw 2 newly listed off the rack dresses on Dance-Again.

Author:
?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 11, 09:17:52pm

http://www.dance-again.com/X1774b.html & the other is 1775b. I find it hard to believe that there are even 2 six-foot tall Irish dancers out there looking for dresses. I wonder how the dressmaker chose that size?

Replies:

Subject: I am updating an old panel dress into something with a newer skirt but not sure how to do the stiffener. How do I go about getting the proper measurements and curve for the "moon" shape and is it suggested to use the same stiffener in front and back or something lighter in back?

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 11:37:22pm

Replies:

Subject: So why does anyone still make custom dresses when Off the Rack dresses are so much less hassle and complete freedom to make what we want?

Author:
!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 04, 07:30:21am

Replies:

Subject: AB or plain crystal on red and black?

Author:
Indecisive
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 10:46:09pm

Dress predominantly red with black velvet accents and yellow embroidery. Lots of pear shaped crystals to go on.

Should I use AB or plain crystal?

Replies:

Subject: How many of you send progress photos of the dress?

Author:
anyone?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, June 01, 06:21:03pm

Replies:

Subject: How many emails does one get during the making of a dress? 110

Author:
customer from he**
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, June 01, 05:34:36pm

How is that possible!!

Replies:

Subject: what is the going average rate for boys vests?

Author:
thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, May 31, 07:46:51pm

Replies:

Subject: Alterations

Author:
Katie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 29, 06:42:15pm

I'm doing alterations to my own dress, and I was wanting to do a twist on the original panel skirt and cape. What do I use to make the material "stiff" and "firm"? Thanks for any help!!

Replies:

Subject: What is an "infinity" irish dance dress? Just received an email asking if I could make one...

Author:
Pennie Drew Dresses
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 12:19:57pm

Nt

Replies:

Subject: I thought this was worth posting because there are so many people steering away from small businesses - "Make sure that your actions and behaviors live up to and reflect the words and ideas, promises and commitments that come out of your mouth." -Steve Farber

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, May 21, 09:39:20pm

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2015 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.