Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat for Free
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Celtic Flame Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Welcome to the message board for the designers and makers of Irish Dance Costumes, Irish Dancers of all ages, and others interested in Irish Dance. Please feel free to ask questions and give advice often! Check out the FAQ for these topics: Puffy Headband Instructions 4 & 5 Panel Dress Instructions and Poll Zipper Poll
FAQ Link

Subject: Ive ordered my daughter's new dress from well known SNDM , had skype consultation, picked colors and requested the dress for 1st week of May. Have heard nothing since April 2 re progress. Emailed her twice with no real response. She hasn't said design is even ready yet. Deposit for the dress was paid December last year. What else should I do?

Author:
Worried Mother
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 09:36:15pm

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:

Subject: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154041745400517&set=o.46957326505&type=1&ref=nf...Wondering what the fringed fabric would be called and where to find it... love the look and would love to have a go at updating my daughter's skirt with fabric like this

Author:
fringey organza?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 12:08:50pm

Replies:

Subject: Teal premier velvet?

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 10:33:17am

Does anyone have a 2-3 yard piece of Joann's premier velvet in the teal/iridescent color they might be willing to part with? I love the color, but don't have enough. It seems to be discontinued.

Subject: skirt stiffener

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 14, 06:09:56pm

what type of skirt stiffener do you use? Just thinking about trying something different. Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: western region costume rules

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 12, 06:48:48pm

Can anyone tell me if the Western region has any different costume rules than CLRG in general? I'm familiar with Mid America's u8/u9 no bling rules and have heard rumors that it may be adopted in Western region. Does anybody know anything about this? Thanks!

Subject: I'm starting to get requests from clients for "Tutu" skirts like Elevation's. I haven't seen these up close. I do know they make small pleats in the tulle. Does anyone know any specifics? How many layers of tulle do they use? What grade of tulle? Also, is it attached to the skirt base in the same manner that one would attach a "skater" style skirt, or your basic gathered or pleated skirt?

Author:
thanks, ladies!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 10, 10:29:52am

Replies:

Subject: Hi. I cannot work out how to request membership to the yahoo ID dressmaking forum. Can someone help please ?

Author:
Dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 03:35:53pm

Replies:
  • Inside... -- **, Wednesday, April 09, 07:49:11pm

Subject: New skirt design

Author:
Annemarie Clarke (Curious)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 03, 04:32:07pm

My daughters dance dress is beautiful but as she has matured this last year the skirt does not look right . Does anyone in Ireland design and make new skirts? Was a very expensive dress 2 years ago, and Worth making the change.

Replies:

Subject: Anyone from London on this board?

Author:
shopping
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 10:12:34pm

Hi everyone, I will be in London for eight days and was wondering if anyone would recommend a fabric store there.
I am particularly looking for a blue twinkle satin that I had no luck to get in US.
Thanks.

Replies:

Subject: Stones/Beads/Notions/Trims

Author:
Troy Collett
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 31, 10:04:57am

Hello to all the wonderful makers on the IDC's Message Board

I would like to speak with any interested parties regarding their stoning, notions, embellishments, and trim situation.

We distribute/wholesale all kinds of wonderful items for dance wear makers. I have a history in custom dance wear making/manufacturing, so I have a great understanding of your processes, wants, and needs. I am also a great resource for sourcing materials & fabrics (that we don't sell).

I would appreciate the opportunity to earn some of your business if anyone is interested in arranging a conversation.

Please take a look at our website and some of the various products we can offer. www.dreamtimecreations.com

We would love to get you started in a wholesale relationship. We know that our pricing, selection, and order execution are second to none. We have great customers all over the world, so international shipping/customs is NOT a problem.

Thank you very much.

Troy Collett
Representative, Dreamtime Creations
p: 239.214.1695
e: tcollett@dreamtimecreations.com
w: www.dreamtimecreations.com

Subject: What sized rhinestones are used for socks?

Author:
TY
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 11:01:11am

Replies:

Subject: How are the new dress shops getting their artwork drawn, digitized and embroidered so fast! I have software, a big machine and occasionally have a helper. But how are they pumping them out so fast?? Not talking about those with a staff of 10-20, but those with 2 or 3..... Are they sketching or drawing directly into their programs? Even with a helper, getting your artwork from your initial idea to the embroidery machine takes time. I'm clearly missing a large piece of the puzzle..stumped!

Author:
What am I missing...??
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 21, 02:31:05pm

Replies:

Subject: Irish Appliques

Author:
Joyce Flanagan (sad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 21, 10:00:38am

Making an Irish Solo Dress for my granddaughter and am trying to find the Irish Appliques. Can you help me?

Replies:

Subject: Rude thoughtless inconsiderate people..

Author:
don't get it
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 16, 03:07:06pm

Is it becoming the norm in this society to be like this? You hear complaints about dressmakers not responding to customers, but what about the reverse? How many times a week I get emails about ordering a dress, a design is made, time spent on emails, scanning, fabric hunting, etc. Then nothing. No, thanks, but no thanks, I am not interested anymore, nothing. Im so tired of being lied to, and jerked around.
Please, don't treat us like this. I have bills to pay, and waiting around for someone that has no intention of ordering, and just wasting my time is not appreciated at all. Get some manners and respect. Just venting. I feel better now.

Replies:

Subject: need a dress fixed in East London - tailor suggestions?

Author:
kathy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 16, 05:34:30am

The skirt on my daughter's dress was botched by a local tailor and I really need someone to fix it this week (feis next Sunday). We are in Leyton, East London. Does anyone have a suggestion for a tailor or dressmaker who could help on short notice? Skirt is off center and slightly skewed...
Thanks you for any suggestions.

Subject: Shipping to Ireland.

Author:
Jola
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 15, 12:54:00pm

Hello ladies. Could a buyer from Ireland pay for a dress from USA through PayPal? The buyer is on vacation at the moment so I am just trying to figure the easiest way.
Also, what is the best way to ship the dress to Ireland?

PS.
I am a little suspicious about this, the buyer is too eager to buy the dress. Not asking any questions about it and agreeing on a price without negotiating. She said she is away on vacation now and will talk to me next week.
Scam?
Could I be scammed through PayPal?
Thank you for any advice.
Jola

Replies:

Subject: I came across this clip on youtube re fitting issues on a solo. Can you please share your thoughts on the upper chest problem, too big or too small?

Author:
dm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPgtlEPUHVQ
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 15, 05:06:29am

Replies:

Subject: Patterns

Author:
Isabel Campbell (isabel14@blueyonder.co.uk)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 14, 12:06:56pm

Hi there
Been having a clear out and have come across some patterns for traditional Irish Dancing Costumes. Some pieces are from Irish Threads and others I made for my own use. If anyone would be interested in these please get in touch.

Subject: I noticed under some popping threads on a Gavin the there is a paper under the embroidery.

Author:
Is that stabilzer?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 08:54:14pm

Replies:

Subject: Taking a bash at the design software attached to Bernina software, Corel Essentials. I have a sketch and am trying to locate the "auto trace" funtion. Does this exist in the essentials version of this software? I can't find it anywhere. Would like to know before searching for another graphics design program. Thank you in advance for any input.

Author:
stumped
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 09, 09:08:20pm

Replies:

Subject: Anyone else notice the preponderance of new dresses featuring digitizing via the "auto-digitize" button? Commanding big prices for extremely sub-par embroidery. Remind me again why the "big names" deserve the title? What is most amazing is that they post CLOSE-UP photos of this horrendous embroidery, and their dresses are sought after. Why? Why, on so many levels?

Author:
such bad work
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 09, 03:41:16am

Replies:

Subject: What's your return policy? For custom, otr, alterations, etc

Author:
Jbd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 01:13:10pm

Just curious

Replies:

Subject: Shipping dresses to the U.S from Canada.

Author:
SND
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 27, 05:06:34pm

Would any kind dressmaker on here that ships dresses from Canada to the U.S on a regular basis tell me the best method?
I have been sending dresses to the U.S for many years using the post but I have been having bad luck recently. UPS and Fed EX are more expensive and the customer is charged high custom and brokerage fees. What service would you suggest?
Thank you.

Replies:

Subject: how on earth do you measure out goblet pleats cut on a circle base? I know it must be quite simple but it such mental block to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 27, 05:25:23am

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone know the name/type of fabric used in quite a few of the Celtic Star dresses? It's not satin, but still comes in nice bright colors and seems it would be quite a durable option for team dresses. If anyone has had the chance to see this fabric in person, would it be possible to post what type of fabric you think it is?

Author:
looking for other fabric options....
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 09:11:54am

Replies:

Subject: Sale

Author:
Alison Thrasher
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 23, 05:11:34pm

Since I am no longer dressmaking, I am starting the huge process of selling off my supplies. Listed here are a few things that might appeal to you all, so I thought I would list them here before Ebay, etc.

Please email me if you are interested in purchasing any of these items

Vilene B0509 - 9 yds - $20.00 plus shipping

1/2" knit elastic - 40 yd spool - $12.00 plus shipping

Pellon Easy-Knit Interfacing - 15 yds - $30.00 plus shipping

60" white poly-cotton Poplin - 6 yds - $28.50 plus shipping

thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Following on from the post below about pricing, I'm just wondering what average price you would charge for a dress for an 8yr old, and for a 16yr old, both O/C? Curious as to what the dressmakers would charge when they say the price is the same

Author:
?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 23, 03:40:38pm

Replies:

Subject: Hello Knowledgable ladies! I need advise!

Author:
x
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 21, 10:44:25pm

I made my daughter a dress. It is more of a "show style" dress. It ended up a too short. A fact that I didn't realize til I saw it at a local feis. She dance and placed where expected, but I knew the dress was too short so I added about an inch of trim to the front and about an inch and a half to the back (it looked shorter in back) and also lengthened the underskirts (it has three layers of soft underskirt.) It is a completely soft skirt flared with gores. She danced at a feis in Feb. and it looked better. Not as short... though it is certainly still a shorter dress. And she has very long legs.

I just received notice that the dress was reported as "non-compliant" at a feis we did in January. How do I go about finding out if the alterations I made between Jan and Now are compliant? She is going to Worlds and we obviously don't want her disqualified. To further complicate things, she (and the offending dress) are away at college (though she is not terribly far away).

What is my best approach to figuring out if this dress can be altered some how (it has no waist--so making it longer is not an easy matter). Would my best bet be to call a reputable professional dress maker and see if she can advise me? I would be happy to compensate her for her time.

The dress all lace overlay over opaque material. There is no area where it is just lace. The collar bone is covered. I didn't get any specifics about what was wrong, but I highly suspect it was the length.

Are there any rules about the flow of the skirt? It swirls out pretty far when she spins.

any advise is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Other than this obvious rather major issue... we love the dress and would like to make it work.

Replies:

Subject: pricing

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 20, 07:58:42am

I know everyone's pricing is different...but
Does your price vary between age and dancing levels...ie if you have a 10 yr old prizewinner, and a 16 yr old O/C....if the amt of embroidery and crystals are similar do you still charge less for the 10 yr old?

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone upgraded to Bernina 7 from 6 software?

Author:
just wondering how it is
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 05:31:16pm

Replies:

Subject: advertising

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 16, 08:12:49am

Do you advertise? If so, where and which sites/magazines/fliers/etc do you think work to your best advantage?

Replies:

Subject: Going rates for assistants to do piece work or hourly??

Author:
Just need some extra hands
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 13, 08:25:50pm

Starting a search for an experienced seamstress to help out with a little of the grunt work. Anyone have any ideas on a going rate for helpers?? Cutting/sizing bodices, sewing skirt ruffles etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Replies:

Subject: What types of satin do most dressmakers use for ID dresses? Looking on Sy Fabrics, but unsure which satin I should choose?

Author:
thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 13, 02:43:02pm

Replies:

Subject: How long does it typically take you to digitize a full dress design. Let's say a championship, heavily emroidered/appliqued dress. It can take me up to two full 8 hour days. Is this normal? I feel it's taking a lot longer than necessary and I may need to consider outsourcing some digitizing.

Author:
Anyone else take a long time?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 06:23:41pm

Replies:

Subject: Anyone have a source for LIME green pleated plisse???

Author:
None on ebay looked everywhere I can think
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 06:59:11pm

Replies:

Subject: Is this OK ? I am making my daughter's prelim dancer dress and have lovely large pear shaped NON swarovski AB diamantes to decorate it. As for regular stoning I was planning to use up SS30 Czech crystals on the rest of the dress that are just clear. Does mixing AB and Clear crystals work ???

Author:
Curious (:))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 09, 08:06:28pm

Replies:

Subject: Postage update

Author:
sdm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 07, 02:28:09pm

I spent 78.00 to ship from US to Germany
and 81.00 to Australia.
Crazy!
US priority large flat rate box.

Replies:

Subject: copper satin

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 11:14:23am

Do any of you know of a on-line store that carries copper satin. The color of a polished copper pot, maybe slightly on the rust side of copper?
thank you!

Replies:

Subject: Yahoo group Question- I can't find it when I search iddressmaking

Author:
Please help
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 02, 03:11:19pm

Someone suggested I join the iddressmaking group- but I can't find it- can someone help?

Replies:

Subject: Sewing machine tune-ups/repairs--surveying pricing

Author:
sticker shock sewer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 09:17:06am

I take my sewing machines to a local shop that sells many brands-and they usually charge $65-$90 depending on the brand and model(computerized machines cost more). However, I just purchased a used mid-arm machine(Janome)that is a straight stitch only machine, all mechanical and when I dropped it off the guy told me they cost $199 to do a tune up--I was shocked!!! Wondering what the typical rates are in other parts of the the US-I am in the midwest, fairly large city.

Replies:

Subject: Trying to figure out the BNDM skirt construction.

Author:
keep trying
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 08:16:43am

Currently my skirt construction works fine for me and any of the small dresses I make. It has a definite side seam placed at the side that lines up with the side seam of the bodice. While it's working fine for the "no bum" little dancers, I'm finding it just sits too flat at the back for anyone aged 12/13 and up. There's just not enough swing/flow.

I'm trying to figure out the construction of the BNDM skirts that have their seams hidden about an inch in front of the actual side seam of the bodice. Has anyone figured out a formula they may be willing to share? Something like: Divide the dropped waist by 2, subtract 2 inches from the front panel and perhaps add 4 inches to the back panel. I can see it under the skirt no problem, just having a tough time getting it right.

Any help appreciated, if anyone is willing to share.

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone else have trouble with clips flying off the X-Panto frame, and if so, how have you fixed the problem please? My dealer has no clue!

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 26, 09:22:40pm

Replies:

Subject: 11 month old Gavin Doherty Dress for sale

Author:
Majella
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 26, 05:37:40am

http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Sligo/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/11-month-old-Gavin-Doherty-Dress-for-sale/3759

Subject: Neon fuschia?

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 04:06:34pm

I'm on a hunt for a really really bright fuchsia satin. I love the American Beauty twinkle/crystal satin, but its too light. So far, the fuchsia satins I have found (locally & SY fabrics) were either too dark, too red, or too flat.

Any suggestions? Celtic Start seems to use one a lot, and that is the shade the dancer is looking for.

Replies:

Subject: bernina v5 help, weird problem

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 20, 06:41:03pm

This isn't irish related, but I know a lot of you use Bernina so hopefully someone knows whats up!

I made an in the hoop book mark, stitches outline, does design and satin stitch border, just like you'd expect. And I stuck 4 in a hoop. Tested it on my brother machine, stitches just like you'd expect. watched redraw in software, stitches just like you'd expect. Sent it to someone with a pfaff (vp3 format) and its doing something really weird. Instead of stitching the whole color/box at once like it should, its stitching the right side of the hoop, then the left side of the hoop. Jumping back and forth, not completing things it should. Its the same design saved in two different formats. So I'm guessing there's a glitch somewhere? Why would it be doing this? Has anyone experienced this and do you have any ideas? Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Another iron bites the dust.

Author:
LynnOH
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 20, 10:22:14am

Cordless Panasonic lasted 4-5? years. Any suggestions on an iron that lasts longer than 5 years? Is this being unreasonable? Are those expensive ones worth it?

Replies:

Subject: A couple of years ago petal shaped fabric was used in skirts. I am looking for some of this fabric for a dance costume, not irish. Can someone tell me what it was called or a source for it? Thank you.

Author:
gg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 19, 08:35:51pm

Replies:

Subject: Great News for Canadian Dressmakers or those US dressmakers wanting to take advantage of our weak dollar.

Author:
Michelle Lewis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 19, 07:13:10pm

My favorite fabric store located in Hamilton Ontario (Ann's Fabrics) has agreed to carry twinkle satin. Cost will be only be around $5.50/metre or $5.00(ish)/yard with the normal pricebreaks as the volume increases. After extensive consultation we decided to have the twinkle satin made a little heavier and denser (although still opaque) than what I've normally be purchasing from Sy Fabrics. I ordered the following colors: white, black, turquoise, flo yellow, flo green, american beauty, cherry red and a few others I can't remember. Marco is placing the order on Wednesday so if you are interested and there are any colors that you'd like please contact him or myself (lewisirishdresses) and I'll relay the message. I'm really excited not to have to pay duty for this fabric anymore and am hoping that you'll use Ann's Fabrics as your Twinkle Satin source. They're super nice and very reliable and quick to ship.

Replies:

Subject: Hi talented ladies!

Author:
Question
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 16, 09:46:06am

We want to make some simple satin capes for show costumes. What size is the piece of fabric? We want to have the fold over type with fringed edges. Thanks in advance.

Replies:

Subject: Has anybody converted a bubble skirt to a soft skirt?

Author:
thanks for your feedback
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 10, 08:44:59pm

I noticed a beautiful bubble skirt style dress in my DD's size that they are practically giving away. I love the bubble style but TC does not & she is also worried about re-sale for us. The embroidery on the bodice & the skirt is so pretty. Can a bubble skirt be converted to a soft skirt. I have minimal sewing skills but enough to realize something that sounds easy really is not. If anybody has done this what would you charge? I am just trying to decide if we should strongly consider this dress.

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone with the Tajima or Toyota with the X-panto frame ever switch frames? I have the other sizes and I know a while ago somebody talked about a fix where their service guy made it really easy to do. It would be nice to be able to utilize the machine for more than the dresses.

Author:
trish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 09, 04:36:36pm

Replies:

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.