VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat for Free
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

Celtic Flame Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Welcome to the message board for the designers and makers of Irish Dance Costumes, Irish Dancers of all ages, and others interested in Irish Dance. Please feel free to ask questions and give advice often! Check out the FAQ for these topics: Puffy Headband Instructions 4 & 5 Panel Dress Instructions and Poll Zipper Poll
FAQ Link

Subject: Does anyone have Sy fabrics Fuchsia crystal satin...about a yard?

Author:
Stacy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 11:32:50am

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Subject: Anyone have a link to a source for twinkle satin?

Author:
or what other names is it called??
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 23, 11:03:11am

Replies:

Subject: I'm looking for recommendations for a dressmaker who would be willing to make a dress for a plus sized adult dancer with a small budget who lives in Ireland. The dress is needed by early October

Author:
Thank you all
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 22, 03:43:04pm

Dress just needs to be simple, but stylish. It doesn't need to be all bling (dancer is well over 21 ;) ), just well made and easy to dance in. All suggestions greatfully recieved and thanks in advance

Replies:

Subject: Need to let out bodice. What is best way to do it without changing the shape of the dress- side seams, zip , darts?

Author:
TIA
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 02:39:37pm

Replies:

Subject: Just wondering if you helpful ladies know how to get pink tailors chalk marks off white satin. A small child visited and has marked the back of a dress I'm making. Didnt see the mark until I'd ironed over it. Worried I've set it into the fabric.

Author:
Mum
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 11:36:15pm

Replies:

Subject: Budget School dress

Author:
LynnToledo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 14, 08:00:07am

Is it possible to make a school dress that costs around $75? I'm thinking a princess seamed dress with a contrast bottom band and a small motif on the bodice out of poly-poplin.

Replies:

Subject: Wondering if anyone has any of this red holo sequin lying around they would be willing to part with. I don't need a lot (even scraps would do) as I just want to use it for appliqué. Let me know.

Author:
Thanks.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 12:19:09pm

http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/10473

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone had success in using a gathering foot for two layers of twinkle satin on their industrial sewing machines? Not sure if I'm not tightening the tension enough or if it's even possible.

Author:
aprreciate your input :)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 08:25:52am

Replies:

Subject: My DDs dress has a bit of embroidery on the inside sleeve cuff that has pulled. Is there a way to fix this or make it look less noticable? It's more than just a thread or two unfortunately.

Author:
Cut and tie off? Pull from other side?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 07, 10:57:09am

Replies:

Subject: Are there any digitizing programs that will do an automatic satin or steil outline on shapes that you have digitized? Or is the only option hand digitizing each section?

Author:
Longing for an easier way...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 02, 11:51:07am

Replies:

Subject: what width of stabilizer do you need for an xpanto frame? What's your favorite brand of stabilizer?

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 01:33:38pm

Replies:

Subject: Moving this up from a conversation below. Does anyone have any information on this hoop that's bigger than the large extension table? Wouldn't that be a dream come true?? WOW!

Author:
interesting indeed
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 28, 11:29:29am

I've looked into all the possible options. There are bigger/wider frames available for another brand, but the cost is astronomical, plus you need a huge space for the frame to move in both directions. Toyota isn't making anything wider, as it just doesn't work without changing the whole machine. (NT) -- Such a pity!

Replies:

Subject: Bit of an unusual request...

Author:
Siobhan Nic Fhlannchadha
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 28, 04:04:21am

Let me start off by saying that I haven't done Irish dancing properly in about 10 years but looking online at all the beautiful dresses available in Ireland makes me want to take it up again just I could get to wear them!

However, I do dance when I teach Zumba and will be attending the international Zumba Convention in Orlando this August. We have been asked to "celebrate our culture" at a special event by dressing in dance attire which represents the type of dance born in our country and my friends and I really want to go all out and show the world how beautiful Irish dancing is!

This may be a completely DAFT question but is there any chance that any of you have any dresses we could borrow, or would you know anyone daft enough to consider my request? There are three of us, Paula is a 6, I am an 8/10 and Nat is about a 12.

I just thought I'd give it a try, mainly because I would love to get to wear a solo dress for a day! The one sitting in a warehouse not being sold or the one worn to death by someone else and not wanted anymore, anything at all would be hugely appreciated!

Míle buíochas and I look forward to your response,

Siobhán

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone know where I could buy very high quality plastic AB crystals? I just got some from Dreamtime and they are not the ones I'm searching for.

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, July 26, 11:08:29am

Subject: Construction of skirt for The Academy 3 panel dresses? I know the front panel is more like a flap that can lift up. What about the side panels? Are they connected at the side? Saw a picture that looked like maybe not?

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 25, 09:38:34am

Replies:

Subject: Did most of you purchased the embroidery machine and then learned to digitize?

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 08:45:12am

I would love to finally switch to an embroidery machine but I feel like I should learn the digitizing first and then get the machine and be ready for it. Or is it the other way around?
Suggestions appreciated.

Also, how do you find the expos/trade shows for embroidery machines? I searched on line and didn't come up with anything within the tri state area.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies:

Subject: Please can someone tell me the best colour crystals to use on nude fabric?

Author:
Thank you!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 07:45:33am

Replies:

Subject: For those of you with an xpanto frame (or similar 14x48) how long does it take to stitch out? Like say you have two sleeves with heavy embroidery? Roughly. Thanks!

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 04:36:21pm

Replies:

Subject: Suggestions Please

Author:
Thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 07:34:52am

I have a client looking to have a new dress made for a VERY slim tween going through a growth spurt. Ideally hs doesn't want anything to bring attention to the upper bodice (drawing attention to carriage issues) and something that makes her look skinny. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated

Replies:

Subject: Looking for twinkle satin.

Author:
Thank you!!!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 20, 09:19:55am

I am in desparate need of either the American Beatuty from the US or the Flo Lipstick that comes from White Lodge. I need at least 2 yards, but would prefer 3. I had it on order for delivery this week and am now told it's not even in stock, and I won't have it for another week or two. If anyone is willing to part with some, please let me know asap.

Replies:

Subject: any advice for cleaning white poly shantung? updating a dress and waist seam is dirty

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 18, 12:26:56pm

Replies:

Subject: Taoknitter

Author:
dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 18, 10:39:02am

Has anyone been in contact with Ann from Taoknitter? Sent her an email an no response.

Replies:

Subject: Is there a type of satin that doesn't show water marks as much? Always had a velvet dress but want something lighter. I'm worried about satin showing every imperfection (our school dresses are like this).

Author:
Any particular satin better than another?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 17, 03:13:24pm

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone know where I can find the seven gates designs used for story book dresses? I am looking for either a book or webpage where I can see all the different styles to pick one for a dress.

Author:
Thank so much
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 01:52:19pm

Replies:

Subject: Hey all! New here - Just wondering where one might be able to purchase a nude fabric like Celtic Star and Gavin seem to be using. Would love it for DD's next dress/my next dress project.

Author:
Thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 11, 12:56:23am

Replies:

Subject: Water marks out of satin?

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 01:39:14pm

We have what I'm pretty sure are water marks on the satin skirt of my dd's dress - she doesn't eat while wearing it and usually only brings water to drink. I'm nervous about making it worse but have heard horror stories about people taking their dresses to the dry cleaners, only to have it returned worse than they left it. Has anyone had luck removing what I believe is just a mark, not a set in stain, from satin?

Replies:

Subject: Are there different types of sequin fabric? I seem to recall a mention of ones that are tiered versus ones that lay flat, specifically in regard to how they may (or not) snag.

Author:
buyer, not DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 10:51:24am

Replies:

Subject: sleeve cap: Does anyone have a photo of the feis dress pattern sleeve? I am experimenting with different sleeve shapes to see what works best for lift. I heard the pattern was decent for that. Just curious of their shape. THANKS!

Author:
playing with sleeves
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 07:40:19am

Replies:

Subject: My friend just received her DD Gavin & surprise it doesn't fit. Darts were put in at the chest & were NOT needed so it sticks across the chest.

Author:
Is it safe just to take them out?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, June 30, 06:44:32am

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone tried using Value Bright crystals? This is the link to the site:

Author:
? (tia)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 26, 12:26:46pm

http://www.rhinestonebiz.com/c-472-value-bright-crystal-components.aspx

Their own ad copy seems less that enthusiastic: "Our research has found that both amateur and professional designers see the value provided by these crystal components."

Replies:

Subject: I'm wondering how other dress makers charge for applying crystals. Per number of crystals, one solid fee?

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 04:02:03am

Replies:

Subject: Are mandarin collars still "in"?

Author:
Are dancers still requesting them on new dresses?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, June 22, 03:18:21pm

Replies:

Subject: Since Rachel Franzen's ID Fabrics shop is no longer in existence, does anyone know a good source for purple micro velvet? Also, since I haven't purchased it in quite awhile, is micro velvet 100% polyester or is it a blend and is it the same thing as Triple Velvet since that is all I am finding in a non stretch non crushing velvet.

Author:
Pennie in Michigan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, June 22, 02:20:08pm

Replies:

Subject: pattern drafting software

Author:
SNDM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 20, 12:55:20pm

Do any of you use pattern drafting software? I guess just for the bodice and sleeves. Thinking I could produce dresses faster if I wasn't constantly tweaking bad patterns. What do you use?

Replies:

Subject: Buying crystals in NYC

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 03:31:13am

Is there anywhere I could purchase a gross or two of Swarovski AB crystals in New York? Will be there just before NANs.

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone created a wholesale account directly with Swarovski? Wondering if it may be worth doing.

Author:
bling bling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 12, 10:04:44am

Replies:

Subject: Need a dressmaker to alter/fix two dresses before NAN's. Located in Westchester, NY, but would drive to NYC, northern NJ, or CT.

Author:
Help?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 02:59:29pm

Subject: Best material to use for drop-waisted 3 panel dress? My young dancer still has a bit if a tummy , and I'm not sure satin would be very flattering . Any other materials to try?

Author:
-
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 26, 07:35:02pm

Replies:

Subject: New business

Author:
X
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, May 24, 10:17:50am

Hi there, I would really love some advice. I am looking
To start up a costume business. Small scale.
I would really like some advice on appropriate machinery.
Computerised or where I would gain advice in this department
Many thanks.

Replies:

Subject: Using Tagaderm (transparent high gloss surgical wound covering) on bodice

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 11:27:38am

I recall a while ago there were a number of ladies from Australia that swore by Tagaderm over sewn sequin. I'm wondering how well does it hold up, and how often you need to replace? Does it affect the finish of the sequins? Also, I believe many used it at the upper back bodice (to spare wigs from fraying), as well as the inner seams of the sleeves and the side seams on the bodice. Anywhere else you have used it? I would really appreciate if anyone who has used tagaderm might share their experience?
Thank You

Replies:

Subject: Which bodice pattern do feel gives a better fit for a teen? One that is fitted by darting or a princess seam?

Author:
ty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 19, 06:54:22am

Replies:

Subject: Advice on how to be a good customer!

Author:
Senior Lady
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, May 15, 12:05:50pm

So, I'm hoping for some advice some the dressmakers out there and happy customers out there! I'm about to order my first custom solo dress - I'm in my 20s and have never had a new dress. Since this will likely be my last, I decided it's time for something special! I certainly have ideas about what I'd like to see - but I'm curious how much is too much input from a customer? Is it standard to request to see a final sketch or design? I truly don't want to be a pain as a customer but I'm nervous about the process having never gone through it before!

Would love to hear advice! Tips on what to avoid saying or doing would be helpful too. :)

Thanks!!

Replies:

Subject: Auto applique on Bernina V6 question.

Author:
Is this possible?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, May 15, 11:01:39am

When using bernina v6 software I've tried using the auto applique button on the left. All is great, I see my placement line, cutting line and cover stitch. My problem is, if I want to do multiple appliques, whether they be the same or different patterns, I can't ungroup the items to do all the placement lines first, followed by the cutting line and so on.

Is there any way to unlock these or am I destined to manually doing the step by step process, which isn't a big deal, but would be nice for a one stop shop :)

Appreciate any feedback given.

Replies:

Subject: Is there anyone that makes doll dresses to match a solo?

Author:
If so, please email me!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 11:50:35am

Replies:

Subject: Opinions needed :) Has anyone used poly-poplin on a dress? Considering it for a full dress as it's a little lighter than gaberdine and interfacing could be used to add a bit more body. Looking for a nice bright red that's not velvet and the twinkle satin isn't bright enough.

Author:
Thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 08:14:47am

Replies:

Subject: Hi ladies. I have mislaid my Pfaff 4D embroidery communication CD, recently had a new computer so need to reload it, any ideas as to where to find a replacement?

Author:
Thx
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 02:10:03pm

Replies:

Subject: Any suggestions on crystal color to match with small gold sequin fabric? Or something to get me headed in the right direction? Not sure what crystal colors to even start considering...

Author:
thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 12:14:58pm

Replies:

Subject: Looking for opinions on upgrading software. What are your thoughts on Wilcom or Forte? I have a big machine and keeping busy.

Author:
pros and cons
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, May 03, 12:12:14pm

I currently us Bernina V6. Is it worth considering an upgrade to make any of the digitizing process a little more time efficient? Welcome any thoughts :-)

Replies:

Subject: What is Julia O'Rourke's pink dress made of? Is it that gabardine stuff Celtic Star has been using? ANyone know where to get it in the US?

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 11:29:38am

thanks

Replies:

Subject: What is the best way to get lipstick out if white satin. Twinkle satin

Author:
Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 27, 01:07:18pm

Replies:

Subject: Hoping for feedback from those of you that may have used Swarovski zippers. Have you had any complaints from clients about how well they work/ hold up over time?

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 25, 11:20:17am

I'm making my daughter's dress and was considering using one, but not if they are a pain to open and close, or separate under tension.

Replies:

Subject: Seven Gates Designs

Author:
Charmaine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 25, 02:42:31am

Hi Everyone

I am not a dressmaker but am trying to come up with a design for a potential new school dress. I want something traditional and love my old dresses based on Seven Gates designs. I have hunted high and low online and cannot find any sign of the book.

Would anyone have a copy I could purchase?

Thanks

Replies:

Subject: Embroidery File Conversion

Author:
Thank You
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 09:04:14am

Wondering if anyone might have embroidery software that could open a .vip or .vp3 file and save a version for me into .dst format? When it rains, it pours - both my sewing/embroidery machine AND My laptop died, and I need the .dst file asap. for a local embroidery company. If you know of an online business that could help me out quickly, I would really appreciate it. Many thanks for any help or suggestions you could share.

Replies:

Subject: Ive ordered my daughter's new dress from well known SNDM , had skype consultation, picked colors and requested the dress for 1st week of May. Have heard nothing since April 2 re progress. Emailed her twice with no real response. She hasn't said design is even ready yet. Deposit for the dress was paid December last year. What else should I do?

Author:
Worried Mother
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 09:36:15pm

Replies:

Subject: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154041745400517&set=o.46957326505&type=1&ref=nf...Wondering what the fringed fabric would be called and where to find it... love the look and would love to have a go at updating my daughter's skirt with fabric like this

Author:
fringey organza?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 12:08:50pm

Replies:

Subject: Teal premier velvet?

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 10:33:17am

Does anyone have a 2-3 yard piece of Joann's premier velvet in the teal/iridescent color they might be willing to part with? I love the color, but don't have enough. It seems to be discontinued.

Subject: skirt stiffener

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 14, 06:09:56pm

what type of skirt stiffener do you use? Just thinking about trying something different. Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: western region costume rules

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 12, 06:48:48pm

Can anyone tell me if the Western region has any different costume rules than CLRG in general? I'm familiar with Mid America's u8/u9 no bling rules and have heard rumors that it may be adopted in Western region. Does anybody know anything about this? Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: I'm starting to get requests from clients for "Tutu" skirts like Elevation's. I haven't seen these up close. I do know they make small pleats in the tulle. Does anyone know any specifics? How many layers of tulle do they use? What grade of tulle? Also, is it attached to the skirt base in the same manner that one would attach a "skater" style skirt, or your basic gathered or pleated skirt?

Author:
thanks, ladies!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 10, 10:29:52am

Replies:

Subject: Hi. I cannot work out how to request membership to the yahoo ID dressmaking forum. Can someone help please ?

Author:
Dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 03:35:53pm

Replies:
  • Inside... -- **, Wednesday, April 09, 07:49:11pm

Subject: New skirt design

Author:
Annemarie Clarke (Curious)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 03, 04:32:07pm

My daughters dance dress is beautiful but as she has matured this last year the skirt does not look right . Does anyone in Ireland design and make new skirts? Was a very expensive dress 2 years ago, and Worth making the change.

Replies:

Subject: Anyone from London on this board?

Author:
shopping
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 10:12:34pm

Hi everyone, I will be in London for eight days and was wondering if anyone would recommend a fabric store there.
I am particularly looking for a blue twinkle satin that I had no luck to get in US.
Thanks.

Replies:

Subject: Stones/Beads/Notions/Trims

Author:
Troy Collett
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 31, 10:04:57am

Hello to all the wonderful makers on the IDC's Message Board

I would like to speak with any interested parties regarding their stoning, notions, embellishments, and trim situation.

We distribute/wholesale all kinds of wonderful items for dance wear makers. I have a history in custom dance wear making/manufacturing, so I have a great understanding of your processes, wants, and needs. I am also a great resource for sourcing materials & fabrics (that we don't sell).

I would appreciate the opportunity to earn some of your business if anyone is interested in arranging a conversation.

Please take a look at our website and some of the various products we can offer. www.dreamtimecreations.com

We would love to get you started in a wholesale relationship. We know that our pricing, selection, and order execution are second to none. We have great customers all over the world, so international shipping/customs is NOT a problem.

Thank you very much.

Troy Collett
Representative, Dreamtime Creations
p: 239.214.1695
e: tcollett@dreamtimecreations.com
w: www.dreamtimecreations.com

Subject: What sized rhinestones are used for socks?

Author:
TY
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 11:01:11am

Replies:

Subject: How are the new dress shops getting their artwork drawn, digitized and embroidered so fast! I have software, a big machine and occasionally have a helper. But how are they pumping them out so fast?? Not talking about those with a staff of 10-20, but those with 2 or 3..... Are they sketching or drawing directly into their programs? Even with a helper, getting your artwork from your initial idea to the embroidery machine takes time. I'm clearly missing a large piece of the puzzle..stumped!

Author:
What am I missing...??
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 21, 02:31:05pm

Replies:

Subject: Irish Appliques

Author:
Joyce Flanagan (sad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 21, 10:00:38am

Making an Irish Solo Dress for my granddaughter and am trying to find the Irish Appliques. Can you help me?

Replies:

Subject: Rude thoughtless inconsiderate people..

Author:
don't get it
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 16, 03:07:06pm

Is it becoming the norm in this society to be like this? You hear complaints about dressmakers not responding to customers, but what about the reverse? How many times a week I get emails about ordering a dress, a design is made, time spent on emails, scanning, fabric hunting, etc. Then nothing. No, thanks, but no thanks, I am not interested anymore, nothing. Im so tired of being lied to, and jerked around.
Please, don't treat us like this. I have bills to pay, and waiting around for someone that has no intention of ordering, and just wasting my time is not appreciated at all. Get some manners and respect. Just venting. I feel better now.

Replies:

Subject: need a dress fixed in East London - tailor suggestions?

Author:
kathy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 16, 05:34:30am

The skirt on my daughter's dress was botched by a local tailor and I really need someone to fix it this week (feis next Sunday). We are in Leyton, East London. Does anyone have a suggestion for a tailor or dressmaker who could help on short notice? Skirt is off center and slightly skewed...
Thanks you for any suggestions.

Subject: Shipping to Ireland.

Author:
Jola
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 15, 12:54:00pm

Hello ladies. Could a buyer from Ireland pay for a dress from USA through PayPal? The buyer is on vacation at the moment so I am just trying to figure the easiest way.
Also, what is the best way to ship the dress to Ireland?

PS.
I am a little suspicious about this, the buyer is too eager to buy the dress. Not asking any questions about it and agreeing on a price without negotiating. She said she is away on vacation now and will talk to me next week.
Scam?
Could I be scammed through PayPal?
Thank you for any advice.
Jola

Replies:

Subject: I came across this clip on youtube re fitting issues on a solo. Can you please share your thoughts on the upper chest problem, too big or too small?

Author:
dm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPgtlEPUHVQ
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 15, 05:06:29am

Replies:

Subject: Patterns

Author:
Isabel Campbell (isabel14@blueyonder.co.uk)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 14, 12:06:56pm

Hi there
Been having a clear out and have come across some patterns for traditional Irish Dancing Costumes. Some pieces are from Irish Threads and others I made for my own use. If anyone would be interested in these please get in touch.

Subject: I noticed under some popping threads on a Gavin the there is a paper under the embroidery.

Author:
Is that stabilzer?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 08:54:14pm

Replies:

Subject: Taking a bash at the design software attached to Bernina software, Corel Essentials. I have a sketch and am trying to locate the "auto trace" funtion. Does this exist in the essentials version of this software? I can't find it anywhere. Would like to know before searching for another graphics design program. Thank you in advance for any input.

Author:
stumped
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 09, 09:08:20pm

Replies:

Subject: Anyone else notice the preponderance of new dresses featuring digitizing via the "auto-digitize" button? Commanding big prices for extremely sub-par embroidery. Remind me again why the "big names" deserve the title? What is most amazing is that they post CLOSE-UP photos of this horrendous embroidery, and their dresses are sought after. Why? Why, on so many levels?

Author:
such bad work
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 09, 03:41:16am

Replies:

Subject: What's your return policy? For custom, otr, alterations, etc

Author:
Jbd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 01:13:10pm

Just curious

Replies:

Subject: Shipping dresses to the U.S from Canada.

Author:
SND
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 27, 05:06:34pm

Would any kind dressmaker on here that ships dresses from Canada to the U.S on a regular basis tell me the best method?
I have been sending dresses to the U.S for many years using the post but I have been having bad luck recently. UPS and Fed EX are more expensive and the customer is charged high custom and brokerage fees. What service would you suggest?
Thank you.

Replies:

Subject: how on earth do you measure out goblet pleats cut on a circle base? I know it must be quite simple but it such mental block to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 27, 05:25:23am

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone know the name/type of fabric used in quite a few of the Celtic Star dresses? It's not satin, but still comes in nice bright colors and seems it would be quite a durable option for team dresses. If anyone has had the chance to see this fabric in person, would it be possible to post what type of fabric you think it is?

Author:
looking for other fabric options....
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 09:11:54am

Replies:

Subject: Sale

Author:
Alison Thrasher
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 23, 05:11:34pm

Since I am no longer dressmaking, I am starting the huge process of selling off my supplies. Listed here are a few things that might appeal to you all, so I thought I would list them here before Ebay, etc.

Please email me if you are interested in purchasing any of these items

Vilene B0509 - 9 yds - $20.00 plus shipping

1/2" knit elastic - 40 yd spool - $12.00 plus shipping

Pellon Easy-Knit Interfacing - 15 yds - $30.00 plus shipping

60" white poly-cotton Poplin - 6 yds - $28.50 plus shipping

thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Following on from the post below about pricing, I'm just wondering what average price you would charge for a dress for an 8yr old, and for a 16yr old, both O/C? Curious as to what the dressmakers would charge when they say the price is the same

Author:
?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 23, 03:40:38pm

Replies:

Subject: Hello Knowledgable ladies! I need advise!

Author:
x
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 21, 10:44:25pm

I made my daughter a dress. It is more of a "show style" dress. It ended up a too short. A fact that I didn't realize til I saw it at a local feis. She dance and placed where expected, but I knew the dress was too short so I added about an inch of trim to the front and about an inch and a half to the back (it looked shorter in back) and also lengthened the underskirts (it has three layers of soft underskirt.) It is a completely soft skirt flared with gores. She danced at a feis in Feb. and it looked better. Not as short... though it is certainly still a shorter dress. And she has very long legs.

I just received notice that the dress was reported as "non-compliant" at a feis we did in January. How do I go about finding out if the alterations I made between Jan and Now are compliant? She is going to Worlds and we obviously don't want her disqualified. To further complicate things, she (and the offending dress) are away at college (though she is not terribly far away).

What is my best approach to figuring out if this dress can be altered some how (it has no waist--so making it longer is not an easy matter). Would my best bet be to call a reputable professional dress maker and see if she can advise me? I would be happy to compensate her for her time.

The dress all lace overlay over opaque material. There is no area where it is just lace. The collar bone is covered. I didn't get any specifics about what was wrong, but I highly suspect it was the length.

Are there any rules about the flow of the skirt? It swirls out pretty far when she spins.

any advise is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Other than this obvious rather major issue... we love the dress and would like to make it work.

Replies:

Subject: pricing

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 20, 07:58:42am

I know everyone's pricing is different...but
Does your price vary between age and dancing levels...ie if you have a 10 yr old prizewinner, and a 16 yr old O/C....if the amt of embroidery and crystals are similar do you still charge less for the 10 yr old?

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone upgraded to Bernina 7 from 6 software?

Author:
just wondering how it is
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 05:31:16pm

Replies:

Subject: advertising

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 16, 08:12:49am

Do you advertise? If so, where and which sites/magazines/fliers/etc do you think work to your best advantage?

Replies:

Subject: Going rates for assistants to do piece work or hourly??

Author:
Just need some extra hands
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 13, 08:25:50pm

Starting a search for an experienced seamstress to help out with a little of the grunt work. Anyone have any ideas on a going rate for helpers?? Cutting/sizing bodices, sewing skirt ruffles etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Replies:

Subject: What types of satin do most dressmakers use for ID dresses? Looking on Sy Fabrics, but unsure which satin I should choose?

Author:
thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 13, 02:43:02pm

Replies:

Subject: How long does it typically take you to digitize a full dress design. Let's say a championship, heavily emroidered/appliqued dress. It can take me up to two full 8 hour days. Is this normal? I feel it's taking a lot longer than necessary and I may need to consider outsourcing some digitizing.

Author:
Anyone else take a long time?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 06:23:41pm

Replies:

Subject: Anyone have a source for LIME green pleated plisse???

Author:
None on ebay looked everywhere I can think
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 06:59:11pm

Replies:

Subject: Is this OK ? I am making my daughter's prelim dancer dress and have lovely large pear shaped NON swarovski AB diamantes to decorate it. As for regular stoning I was planning to use up SS30 Czech crystals on the rest of the dress that are just clear. Does mixing AB and Clear crystals work ???

Author:
Curious (:))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 09, 08:06:28pm

Replies:

Subject: Postage update

Author:
sdm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 07, 02:28:09pm

I spent 78.00 to ship from US to Germany
and 81.00 to Australia.
Crazy!
US priority large flat rate box.

Replies:

Subject: copper satin

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 11:14:23am

Do any of you know of a on-line store that carries copper satin. The color of a polished copper pot, maybe slightly on the rust side of copper?
thank you!

Replies:

Subject: Yahoo group Question- I can't find it when I search iddressmaking

Author:
Please help
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 02, 03:11:19pm

Someone suggested I join the iddressmaking group- but I can't find it- can someone help?

Replies:

Subject: Sewing machine tune-ups/repairs--surveying pricing

Author:
sticker shock sewer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 09:17:06am

I take my sewing machines to a local shop that sells many brands-and they usually charge $65-$90 depending on the brand and model(computerized machines cost more). However, I just purchased a used mid-arm machine(Janome)that is a straight stitch only machine, all mechanical and when I dropped it off the guy told me they cost $199 to do a tune up--I was shocked!!! Wondering what the typical rates are in other parts of the the US-I am in the midwest, fairly large city.

Replies:

Subject: Trying to figure out the BNDM skirt construction.

Author:
keep trying
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 08:16:43am

Currently my skirt construction works fine for me and any of the small dresses I make. It has a definite side seam placed at the side that lines up with the side seam of the bodice. While it's working fine for the "no bum" little dancers, I'm finding it just sits too flat at the back for anyone aged 12/13 and up. There's just not enough swing/flow.

I'm trying to figure out the construction of the BNDM skirts that have their seams hidden about an inch in front of the actual side seam of the bodice. Has anyone figured out a formula they may be willing to share? Something like: Divide the dropped waist by 2, subtract 2 inches from the front panel and perhaps add 4 inches to the back panel. I can see it under the skirt no problem, just having a tough time getting it right.

Any help appreciated, if anyone is willing to share.

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone else have trouble with clips flying off the X-Panto frame, and if so, how have you fixed the problem please? My dealer has no clue!

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 26, 09:22:40pm

Replies:

Subject: 11 month old Gavin Doherty Dress for sale

Author:
Majella
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 26, 05:37:40am

http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Sligo/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/11-month-old-Gavin-Doherty-Dress-for-sale/3759

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.