VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

Celtic Flame Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Welcome to the message board for the designers and makers of Irish Dance Costumes, Irish Dancers of all ages, and others interested in Irish Dance. Please feel free to ask questions and give advice often! Check out the FAQ for these topics: Puffy Headband Instructions 4 & 5 Panel Dress Instructions and Poll Zipper Poll
FAQ Link

Subject: Headbands?

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 09:19:26am

I'm thinking about making a tiara with the large crystals glued onto the tiara(Tillie's Tiara's has a bunch of examples on their facebook page), but I'm not sure what kind of glue to use. I typically use E6000, but the ones I've seen in person appear to have a different kind of glue. Any suggestions?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:

Subject: Crystal Satin

Author:
Thank You!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 07:38:10pm

I am making a dress for a client who wants to use Crystal Satin for the base fabric. What would you recommend for backing the satin to stabilize it? Thanks so much!

Replies:

Subject: Bow capes?

Author:
MAID
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 20, 11:27:35pm

looking to make a cape for DD, we really like the Bow capes- i have some sewing experiences, just want some advice on how to construct these things. Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Performance circle skirt- shape?

Author:
Erstwhile DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 20, 09:55:20am

Hello you wonderful ladies!

This board is amazing! Such a wealth of knowledge and experience!
May I ask a question? I am putting together some quick circle skirts for a performing team. They are reversible and made out of sequin-dot material. The dancers would like the skirts to stand out on the sides more like solo dress skirts, and I'm also worried that just two layers of glitterdot might be a tad see-through.
Is there anything I could put in between the layers of the circle skirt to help it stand out?
Bless you for your help!

Replies:

Subject: BERNINA EMERGENCY!

Author:
help!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, July 21, 10:42:29am

Yesterday I spent 6 hours digitizing a very detailed bodice when my computer crashed. My heart sank as you can imagine. When my computer recovered and I opened the software my design was still there, popped up automatically. I hit the save button many times after in case it crashed again. When I opened the software this morning and clicked on my file only the images of the sketches I scanned were on the file. None of the digitized stitches were there.......(panicking now...)

I'm thinking now I should have hit "save as" when my computer recovered as I can't find the completed file anywhere. Has anyone else ever had this happen and if so were you able to find your completed design? It was saving it somewhere, I just have no idea where!!

Would appreciate any help/advice you can give before I tackle this beast from the beginning again.

Replies:

Subject: Fabric called lame? I am new at this...I just got my solo dress and it says the skirt is lame fabric, II would like to stone the skirt more. Is it okat to put e6000 on the fabric?

Author:
New at this...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 11:40:35pm

Replies:

Subject: New skirt styles

Author:
Which way is best?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 16, 04:16:25am

We're putting together my DD's new dance costume and are working out the skirt. I've not seen any of the newer sequins skirts up close and have been reading with interest that there is no stiff panel underneath. Would it be best to cut the fabric in a strip on the bias and pleating/gathering or would cutting it as a circle skirt be a better way to go?

Replies:

Subject: Hello- does anyone have an online source for a white iridescent sequin? Thank you

Author:
link inside
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 16, 12:27:02pm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Star/161890597206402#!/photo.php?fbid=326108234117970&set=a.303883969673730.73505.161890597206402&type=1&theater

Replies:

Subject: Lame skirt style?

Author:
Thank you.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 15, 07:37:10am

Hello ladies. Someone posted this question on another board: "Who is the dressmaker for the new gold or silver lame' flouncy skirts?"
I was wondering if anyone has a link to a photo of this style. Curious how it looks. Thinking of a new dress for my DD.

Replies:

Subject: Hi ladies. I'm looking for.a source for bright coral embroidery thread. I've tried my local sources but everything I've found is either too orange or too pink. Thanks a lot for your help!

Author:
e
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 16, 10:35:28am

Replies:

Subject: Dress Fabric

Author:
Thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 12, 09:06:06pm

About to start a dress for a dancer, and wondering if Raw Silk is making a comeback for main fabric? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone used this pattern before?

Author:
J
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 13, 04:24:53am

I'm a novice, but I'm ready to attempt to make a solo dress (and ready to fail a few times too!)- I found this pattern (in the link below) and it looked a little more updated than some other patterns I've seen. Has anyone ever used it here (If so, would anyone have any photos of their finished product?). Pros? Cons? Better Patterns to use instead of this one?

Thanks!

link: http://www.ameliacook.com/Other/Irish-Dress-Pattern/16696589_mXcccW

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone own a sewing machine that handles pellon well. Mine is fine 1 layer but when I do the pleat

Author:
I can hardly get it threw.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, July 07, 07:07:51pm

Replies:

Subject: Can anyone help with suggesting online places to shop for fabrics for an irish dance dress? What are the ones most people use?

Author:
thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 07:16:44am

Subject: Devasted and Need Everyone’s Help Please!!!!! Lost my Blackberry in Chicago at Nans. It had irreplaceable pictures, videos and recordings on it of my mom just before she passed away.

Author:
A Desperate ECR Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 10:21:26am

Whenever I’m sad and miss her, which is every single day, I watch the video of her telling a joke in the hospital and it makes me feel she’s still here with me and reminds me of how much love and laughter she brought to our lives. There’s also photos of her (and ones of the rest of my family) including her last Thanksgiving dinner, ones of her in the hospital, one of her smiling after getting some hopeful news… These precious photos and video have provided so much comfort that I am devasted thinking I may never see them again. There’s also a voice recording of her singing Happy Birthday, something she did with every child and grandchild on their birthday. I had also downloaded all the important saved voicemails from my landline. Plus there’s so many other precious pictures and photos of my dad, my children, my hubby, footage of my mom’s beautiful gardens, my son winning a cross country race, there’s just so much on that phone…..in addition to all the contact info for friends, family, doctors etc. and all the reminders for future family appointments. I know I should have downloaded all this but I was petrified I’d do something wrong and lose everything so had wanted to get professional assistance to do it properly.

The phone was lost Saturday July 7th between 5 pm and 6:45 pm either in the Sheraton Ballrooms A, B or C (most probably B as I was there most of the time but I was in A too) or just outside these 3 ballrooms. My blackberry is all black shiny plastic (I think it’s a newer version of the Bold), is bare without any protective cover and the battery was low so it most likely ran out that day. There may have been some residual moisture in the phone from exposure a few days earlier so if you’ve found one that doesn’t charge, (please forgive me for asking this) if you could kindly try removing the battery from the phone and then place it with the phone separate in dry rice for several hours or even a day and then try charging it. When it reboots it says “Rogers” first and then opens to a screen with a photo of my mom, short reddish/blonde hair and wearing glasses sitting on a bench seat.

I’m certain my phone was not stolen but that it accidentally may have fallen into a purse, dress bag or the like as I walked passed it or that I left it on a chair beside me as I watched the dancing and when I rushed off to see a dancer in another room, someone saw it sitting there and mistook it for their own. I hate to inconvenience anyone but the content of this phone is so precious and irreplaceable if you could please just take a moment to check shoe bags, costume bags, purses – anything you and your children or visiting relatives and friends may have had with you/them in the Sheraton Ballrooms that day. Please tell you’re children about this and if you could please ask them to tell their dance friends too and if you could please share it with all dance parents from your school. I’m hopeful that the more people that know then the better the chances of recovering it. For those who may suggest this, please be assured I tried calling it that night and many times since but it goes straight to voicemail, and that I left my contact details with everyone possible at the Sheraton and even at the Hyatt and I have a huge team of people praying to St. Anthony so I’m hopeful it’ll be found. Please feel free to join in the praying, the more the better. It’s my birthday this Friday the 13th and I had so hoped to listen to the blackberry recording of mom singing Happy Birthday.

I want to send a big thank you to Tim O’Hare for announcing my lost blackberry several times at the Saturday awards and the enthusiastic and swift responses from everyone, especially the little girl who immediately rushed over to tell Tim about a found blackberry. Unfortunately, that blackberry was not mine; although it looked very similar, it did not have my mom’s beautiful face in the opening screen. Perhaps the person who owns that blackberry mistakenly has mine.

A heartfelt thank you to all of you for taking the time to read this incredibly lengthy post and for any and all efforts you’re able to make to help me find my phone.

Replies:

Subject: Help! I need a new machine.

Author:
Can anyone recommend one?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 04:28:46am

I've made a few dresses using my Mum's 30 yr old Brother machine. It has done a great job but is noisy and I think it is nearing the end of it's life - don't want it to give up half way through a dress and I've got 2 to make in a short time. I'm in Australia and not wanting to spend a big amount but want something with a good satin stitch that can cope with the rigours of ID dress making!

Replies:

Subject: CUSTOM EMBROIDERY SERVICES

Author:
Kelly Miller (Irish Step Dress Makers)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 22, 06:03:42pm

Hello Irish Step Dance Dress Makers! With over 10 years experience with Machine Embroidery I am happy to embroider your dress fabric with custom or purchased embroidery designs. Professional Digitizing available to create your very own step dress embroidery designs. Send blank dress fabric, include embroidery design or artwork professionally digitized and custom sized for your dressmaking needs. Photo approvals of custom designs and fast turnaround times with priority Mail services available. email me for more information. kkmsan@hotmail.com Cheers! Kelly Miller San Diego, CA

Replies:

Subject: Irish Dancing Dress by Gavin Doherty fit 9 to 11 yr old

Author:
Nuala Thompson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 05, 05:48:45am

http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Cork/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/Irish-Dancing-Dress-by-Gavin-Doherty-fit-9-to-11-yr-old/2171

Subject: I have a soft 3 tier ruffle skirt that is layered with crinoline with a satin lining. When dd dances, the skirt floats up and her Lillie's show in the back. Not wanting to add volume, what can I do to hide lollies?

Author:
Appreciate any ideas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 29, 10:29:50pm

Replies:

Subject: anyone know where I can get lace collars & cuffs for new school dresses

Author:
I am in the eastern US
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 03:20:53pm

Replies:

Subject: Hello Ladies. I need your professional opinions please. Is it alright to fold a dress in half that is made of cotton velveteen or will it leave a crush mark?

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, June 30, 04:36:44pm

Replies:

Subject: swarovski maintenance question: dd just received her "new" used dress from Ireland. The dress has dozens of the large pear shaped crystals on the bodice. Unfortunately, they have a "scratched" appearance...spider web patterns which diminish the sparkle effect. I've never seen this before, is there any way to restore them?

Author:
frustrated mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 21, 11:47:24am

Replies:

Subject: Hi, has anyone seen the underneath of the newer, all sequins Gavin skirts with the ribbon trim? I'm curious as to whether or not the sequins is lined or just placed on top of the usual netting/tulle and satin base. If anyone has seen one up close, would you be able to post a description? Many thanks in advance:)

Author:
skirt
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, June 18, 09:57:14pm

Replies:

Subject: Dress Pattern

Author:
Dancer on a budget
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 11:43:41am

My mother and I are trying to make our own solo dress and we need help. Every time we do the bodice it turns out different. Are there any commercial patterns that would help with fitting, selves, neck, and all that jazz? We can't get past that one point.

Replies:

Subject: Collect all those dress photos and have a movie made!

Author:
Email for more info
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, June 25, 11:58:55am

Check out my page at www.facebook.com/ArtsyPics
There is a sample video of my work.
Pictures are set to music, great for advertising, or to put on your website.

Subject: loads of sparkle bling at low prices for tiara's, dresses ,etc

Author:
mum (jones)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, June 16, 07:16:32am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/213680812025163/

Replies:

Subject: Rhinestone help

Author:
pear size?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 15, 03:01:28pm

Hi all, can anyone tell me what the typical size is of the big pear-shaped rhinestones that are being used on a lot of dresses nowadays? There are loads of dresses covered with them from designers like Celtic Star in their latest dresses, and I just wanted some feedback on size for a dress we have to bling ourselves. They are really expensive!

Thanks for your help.

Replies:

Subject: How do I convert a 1" (height) x1/2" (width) to mm for a pearl shaped flatback rhinestone and where may I purchase one?

Author:
Thanks! DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 08, 02:42:23pm

Replies:

Subject: For sale sparkling Gavin dress bust 34 inch

Author:
Elaine Millar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 08, 02:54:02pm

http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Global-Ad/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/For-sale-sparkling-Gavin-dress-bust-34-inch-/2110

Subject: Height and full length of dress

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 01:07:45pm

dancers height is 4'5" ----measurements sent to me for a 28" total length (shoulder to skirt hem)....I'm thinking this is too long ---even if she has a long torso or long thigh----I'm guess 26" would be better...any thoughts?

Replies:

Subject: Looking for direction as to how to construct a high neckline at the back and tapering to a "V" in the front. Any recommendations out there?

Author:
Thank you!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, May 27, 08:07:09am

Replies:

Subject: Hi we are in urgent need of a riverdance style dress

Author:
Dress Hunter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 11:40:58am

for a performance. Ideally in a white lace type fabric, We would prefer a custom made one that we could keep for future displays. Would anyone on here be prepared to make one for us. We would be most grateful. The ice skating dresses on ebay are too short, and the riverdance ones on there are not the right style. We are not too fussy just want one made in a stretch fabric with long sleeves no embroidery or design needed. if there is any UK dressmakers that could help. We would be so grateful. Thank you in anticipation of your reply.

Replies:

Subject: Taylor Dress Reduced Price for Quick Sale 13 to 15 year old

Author:
Ailis O'Gara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 05:21:17am

http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Donegal/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/Taylor-Dress-Reduced-Price-for-Quick-Sale-13-to-15-year-old/2106

Subject: covering sequins

Author:
/
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, June 02, 09:20:47am

What can you use to cover sequins on sleeve to stop it from snagging the skirt

Replies:

Subject: Silkscreened "embroidery"?

Author:
New school needs help!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 12:47:04pm

I'd like some advice on a costume issue. I've contacted a well-known embroiderer about doing embroidery for my new school costumes. She has not responded to me in two weeks. I really need costumes ready by the end of June!

I've come up with a temporary solution to get a design on my costumes for a short time. I'm going to look into having a t shirt company silkscreen my bodice design onto black gaberdine that matches the jumper, then sew it on as a temporary patch.

Please point out my obvious flaws! Can this be done?

Replies:

Subject: Soft skirt with stiffener underneath- gets stuck up after dancer kicks . Help also how do you attach number holder to tab,without cutting number holder

Author:
Confused..
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, May 27, 08:26:37am

Replies:

Subject: Sensitive subject, but I really need your honest opinions...if a local dressmaker predominantly creates costumes for one particular (large & competitive) dance school, how comfortable should I feel hiring her to create a top tier dress for my DD from a competing school where there is a strong rivalry? The dressmaker in question probably gets 50% of her business from said school...but we really LOVE her work.

Author:
nervous mum
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 18, 03:58:23pm

Replies:

Subject: Gabardine turq blue

Author:
Alispn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 11:29:26pm

Does anyone know where i can buy turquoise gabardine? I cant find any locally. I purchased some years ago from new york cant remember where from. Any suggestions pls??

Replies:

Subject: Anyone have any good sites for constructing current-style ID skirts? We have made several dresses, but are experimenting with the softer/tulle- types of skirts with this one. Could really use some advice on how the underneath is put together. We're layering satin, tulle, satin, then plisse. Is there vilene? Kick pleats? Also not sure of the gauge of tulle to use. We are experimenting with both the heavy gauge (scrubby tulle,) and the very light-weight tulle.

Author:
dress maker wanna be
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, May 12, 10:08:09am

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies:

Subject: I just sent out a custom dress that I was sooooo happy to get rid of. We counted today and the client had sent me 146 emails over the course of 2+ months during the design/construction of the dress. I am a VERY patient person but I know this crossed the line. How do you all deal with emails/answering/limiting. I feel I was totally cooperative, even sending a life-size pic of the embroidery - then they wanted a life size pic. "colored",,,,Arghhhh Would love help so it does not happen again.

Author:
MJ
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 14, 07:27:37pm

Replies:

Subject: What are the BNDMs using for skirts now? Looks like it is just chiffon

Author:
?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, May 17, 06:16:11am

Replies:

Subject: Looking for a new dress (used) soon. My DD is very slim so its always tough. Last time we bought new and I won't do that again because it came too tight anyway and needed altered. might as well save money and alter. So my question is, when we are looking how much is "too big" to alter for the chest area? (more)

Author:
thanks for any help
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 08:04:06am

If we find something that is 2 inches too big in the chest, will that be too much of a change to take in 2 inches at the zipper? Will it affect the shape of the dress too much - for a soft skirt?

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone have a copy of the old Seven Gates catelog that they could scan and email to me. Mine was in a box stored in the basement that got wet and I had to throw it away. Thanks!

Author:
LynnToledo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 14, 03:44:00pm

Replies:

Subject: a client

Author:
a client
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 06:29:38am

see post I sent in response to May 14th post about a difficult custom dress client. About 7 or 8 posts down, I think. last response, click on a client

Replies:

Subject: what to expect

Author:
client
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 21, 08:50:22am

A question to dress makers from a client
What is a reasonable expectation for having a very good idea of what you are getting before you get it. It is nerve racking to pay well over $1000 and not have a clear understanding of what it is going to look like. I hate to make unreasonable demands however, so any advice would be good before starting the process.

Replies:

Subject: I have been buying my vilene from Joanne's Pellon 70, does anyone know where to get the lightweight stiffener that the BNDM use

Author:
thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, May 20, 03:45:59pm

Subject: I have been buying my vilene from Joanne's Pellon 70, does anyone know where to get the lightweight stiffener that the BNDM use

Author:
thnak you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, May 20, 03:45:11pm

Subject: Crystal color advice

Author:
Undecided
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, May 13, 08:42:03pm

I'm revamping a used dress and want to update the crystal work as part of this project. The dress is black velvet with yellow embroidery. I'm switching out the paneled skirt for a soft skirt made of yellow twinkle satin.

Currently it has lots of clear crystals, but none bigger than ss 34 and they're only on the black velvet. Still, it doesn't sparkle as much as DD would like. I think that AB crystals sparkle more, or at least are more attention-getting. Should I mix these onto the dress, perhaps only on the yellow parts? I'm a little concerned that ABs will introduce new colors not on the dress, like pinky-orange and blue, but maybe that's a good thing, making it more interesting.

I'd appreciate peoples' opinions and experiences. There's no one right answer, but most of you have seen more dresses up close than I have. My opinions come from watching comps and shows from the audience. Thanks!!

Replies:

Subject: black velvet

Author:
mum
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 05:15:53am

Hi there, do you know where i can get a lightweight (non strech) black vevet which is rich black black (no blue hue), thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Embroidery file editing software question

Author:
LynnToledo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, May 10, 04:27:43pm

Is there a simple free software I can use to split a design I found on Ebay? It's 10 X 10 and my largest hoop is 10 X 6. I think someone posted something about Sophiesew awhile back. Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Brand new dress for 6/7 y.o. $1,100

Author:
Jola
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 11, 07:37:36pm

http://www.dance.net/viewImage.html?image_id=673052&page=1

Measurements:
Chest 24"
Waist 21"
Sleeve 16.5"
Overall 24"

Bloomers, fabric for headband and extra crystals included.

Replies:

Subject: Looking for a dressmaker

Author:
TC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 07:39:12am

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in finding a dressmaker that can do three-paneled school dresses. We've been without one for about three years now, and while we've been able to get by on the used ones that we have, some of them have now been through several owners and are very tired.

I'd like someone who can make the entire dress from start to finish, so it would need to be someone with a fairly large hoop on their embroidery machine.

Please email me for more details, link above. Thanks for your time!

Replies:

Subject: Dressmaker wanted

Author:
TC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 10:01:00am

Looking for a dressmaker for Team Dresses. Prefer seamstress with experience.

Replies:

Subject: Question for you old timers. Back in the day when boys wore a kilt and blazer, did they wear a cape? I seem to remember seeing photos with boys with a standard "square folded into a triangle" type cape. Am I correct in my thoughts?

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, May 10, 11:09:06am

Replies:

Subject: Celtic Star Irish dance dress made July 2011

Author:
Jen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 07, 10:15:44am

Designed and made by Celtic Star, this very modern dress is in immaculate condition.
see
http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Global-Advert/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/Celtic-Star-Irish-dance-dress-made-July-2011/1984

Replies:

Subject: Been searching high and low for emerald green velvet. Was even in NY 2 weeks ago and couldn't find the right color. Any suggestions? Tried White Lodge & Threads, also Cut-Fabrics, NY Elegant and SY. Goodness.

Author:
Terri E CO
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 10:03:57pm

Replies:

Subject: Non-ID dress question

Author:
ripped dress
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 26, 09:25:52am

Seeking from advice to see if mending a dress is feasible.

My daughter wore a long dress to a formal. The seamstress had the hem just skimming the floor. An hour into the dance, someone stepped on the back of the dress, and the tugging caused a rip in the sheer overlay (a U shape tear, about 4 inches long)
Is there a way to repair a sheer overlay? Would it be cost prohibitive? The dress was expensive, and I was hoping my daughter or her sister might be able to wear it again.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies:

Subject: Fru fru skirt or Spanish uplift skirt. Does the peek a boo fabric extend on the entire front panel?

Author:
Making new dress
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 03:50:02pm

Replies:

Subject: does anyone have experience sewing a bodice out of swinsuit material ( heavyweight 90%polester/10%spandex from spandexworld) ? in particular, did you line it, interface it, and if so with what type of material? it would seem to be hot and i don't want it to be hotter.

Author:
any tips would be helpfull
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, May 05, 02:21:50pm

Replies:

Subject: How do you say, "No - I just can't"

Author:
Suggestions
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 30, 04:03:20pm

I had a mom of an 11 year old girl I made a dress for call me to see if I can alter the dress (I made 2 years ago) because it is too short now. I already know it's been let down twice. This may seem crazy, but I would prefer not make a new dress for this customer. Any suggestions on how to handle telling someone no?

Replies:

Subject: I'm looking for white twinkle satin - the same as what Gavin uses. I only need a small bit for a couple of headbands. Anyone know where I could find this or have a very small yardage

Author:
of it to sell? Thanks!!!!!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 07:05:14am

Replies:

Subject: Question for those in the know; we currently own a Gavin that we purchesed second-hand from Ireland. This costume has an Eire Designs label inside the dress. Previous costumes we owned were purported to be Gavins and did not have any label. Does this mean that our former costumes were "knock-offs"? Or does Gavin label some and not others?

Author:
Calimom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 04, 09:57:55am

Replies:

Subject: Hi, I need some pricing opinions:) I've been asked to do several strips of embroidery for some performance costumes. Simple design, digitizing was no big deal, strips are approximately 20x2 inches. I don't have to sew anything, just cut the embroidered strips once they're done. Any idea on what I should charge per piece? If anyone out there has done these little embroidery favors, I'd love to hear your thoughts:)

Author:
pricing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 10:24:09pm

Replies:

Subject: AN JIG GIG AUDITIONS 2012

Author:
Ashlene McFadden Dance Researcher An Jig Gig (ATTENTION DANCERS)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 04, 07:27:52am

CALLING ALL IRISH DANCERS!
AN JIG GIG, TG4's hit Irish dancing show, is back for a fourth series!
The series will be recorded in RTE studios Dublin, in June and July, 2012.
For more information, and to apply to take part in the show, go to:

... http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/an-jig-gig.html

Good luck!

A RINCEOIRÍ GAELACHA!!!
Tá an clár den scoth 'AN JIG GIG' ó TG4 arais linn don cheithre sraith!!!
Beidh taifead a dhéanamh ar an chlár in stúideonna RTÉ i mBaile Átha Cliatha i rith mí Meitheamh agus mí Iúil 2012.
Le tuilleadh eolais a fháil agus iarratas a chur isteach ar an chlár, téigh go:

Beir Bua agus go n-éirí leat!

Subject: Looking for recommendations for a velvet fabric that will not mark ,burn, etc when I attach fusible backing? Any ideas please... ?? :)

Author:
afraid to fuse
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 26, 10:41:44am

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone used this tool?

Author:
==
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 07:39:46pm

http://zandb.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/solo-dress-stress-reduction-tool/

Looks like it could come in handy...

Replies:

Subject: I need some advice for yellowing on cotton lining of white twinkle satin dress. I tried to clean the lining and it has ended up staining. I dont know if the satin is stained as well. I have used, oxy clean, detergent in water(, dabbed, then dabbed dry) step 2 then dabbed on seltzer water, dabbed dry. and tide stick.

Author:
really need to get this out...thnx
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 27, 09:08:58pm

Replies:

Subject: Another non-ID dress question for pros and semi-pros-regarding

Author:
alterations
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 27, 04:25:10am

DD has a friend who purchased a $350 dress for prom(which is tomorrow). She needed a couple of alteratins, hemming and slightly taken in at bodice. The store where she bought the dress directed her to an alterations shop down the street from the store-the retailer is one of many in an area popular with bridal gown stores. The girl picked up the dress yesterday, having tried it on at the repair shop. Being 17, without her mother along, she noticed something terribly off about the dress. She brought it home-but immediately got a hold of me(very small unknown dressmaker)and asked me to take a look to see what was wrong and if I could fix it. Needless to say, it was shoddy workmanship, and I was stunned to learn she was charged $75. I was able to correct the problem on the main issue--but was so annoyed because the repairs had been done using incorrect thread color. The dress is labeled "electric purple" as the color; they used black thread, even on the hem-which is obvious because the dress skirt is a sheer chiffon overlay with chartreuse underskirt that is several shades lighter. /as a business that serves to do alterations, is it out of line for me to have expected them to match thread color to the dress?
Additionally, the person who did the alteration claimed to have only worked on one area near the bodice, yet both sides of the dress had problems. Since she eneded up using same color of thread on those areas that she used on the hem, it was clear she was not telling the truth. She tried to tell the girl's mother that the dress came to her in that condition-it had been sent to the store from the vendor sewn in that manner.
Moral of the story-seek many references from trusted friends/family before entrusting expensive garments to a person for repairs.

Replies:

Subject: embroidery machine

Author:
Jennifer Blackerby
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 23, 05:57:13pm

This is my first time using this board so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. But I have some questions for fellow dressmakers!
What kind of embroidery machine do you have? What industrial embroidery machine would you recommend?

I have a brother that does a 4x4 and a bigger brother that does 6x10. They're both domestic sewing and embroidery machines. THe second is new as of December and I love it, but I can't help but think its just not meant to do hard core embroidery all day every day. Especially on sequins And a bigger hoop would certainly be nice...

I've heard of a machine that has a hoop as big as a door that you can fill with items to embroider, but that seems kind of excessive? Anyway, in terms of doing ID dresses what would you recommend that can at least do a bodice front in one pass and is the most bang for your buck?

thanks

also, if there's already a post for this I didn't see it, can someone please point me to it? thanks :)

Replies:

Subject: TRINITY

Author:
dancing dad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 12:35:07pm

Hi everyone. we would really appreciate if the irish dancing community could help these 3 young dancers fulfil their dream. out of thousands of hopefuls they made it to the final of a Talent show in Ireland. Please vote for the Irish dancing group 'TRINITY' on the FINAL of RTÉ's talent show 'Show off or get off'.
VOTING IS FREE ,JUST CLICK THE LINK

http://www.rte.ie/trte/elev8/showoff.html

We really appreciate your support. Vote Trinity to win :)

Main index ] [ Archives: 123456789[10] ]
Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.