VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]
Subject: I am always happy to do alterations before a dress is worn, or at a fitting, for free of course. Just very very occasionally with a custom dress, I find (more inside)

Author:
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 06:14:52pm
In reply to: MJ 's message, "screaming" on Wednesday, September 10, 04:34:40pm

it just doesn't look right for one reason or another when first tried on. Girls grow and change shape, or sometimes someone takes a measurement not quite correctly. So if the customer or teacher is also not happy with the dress, I will make another for them straight away, and sell the first as an off the rack.
However, if the customer accepts and pays for the dress, I regard the sale as complete and final, especially once the dress has been worn at a competition (by which time I believe the teacher should have also seen it), although I accept a dress may need tweaking if it isn't sitting quite right after one feis. Not months later.
Anything more than that I would charge for, and I would certainly not even consider taking the dress back once it has been worn at a feis, and especially the O. I make that very clear, and I believe it is generally accepted that when a dress has been paid for and worn, a dressmaker doesn't take it back.
They are being completely unreasonable to expect anything from you, so long after the dress was first worn. However, having said that, sometimes with such unreasonable customers (thankfully very few and far between, even though they cause us so much angst!) I also find it is easier just to make a new dress (or give them a refund, if the dress is saleable, and absorb the loss) so as to move on and be finished with them. So sorry to hear you are having such a long-term problem. If you know there was actually a real problem with the dress originally, that might be the easiest solution. But if the dress was fine, don't give in!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
The best way to deal with people like this is a well worded (professional and legal) response standing your ground. Reference emails, conversations, your policy, standard practice in the industry, and how far you have already gone above and beyond. I would LOVE to know which school this is so that I too can avoid them.I feel your pain!Thursday, September 11, 08:58:32am

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.