VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]

Celtic Flame Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Welcome to the message board for the designers and makers of Irish Dance Costumes, Irish Dancers of all ages, and others interested in Irish Dance. Please feel free to ask questions and give advice often! Check out the FAQ for these topics: Puffy Headband Instructions 4 & 5 Panel Dress Instructions and Poll Zipper Poll
FAQ Link

Subject: Hello Knowledgable ladies! I need advise!

Author:
x
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 21, 10:44:25pm

I made my daughter a dress. It is more of a "show style" dress. It ended up a too short. A fact that I didn't realize til I saw it at a local feis. She dance and placed where expected, but I knew the dress was too short so I added about an inch of trim to the front and about an inch and a half to the back (it looked shorter in back) and also lengthened the underskirts (it has three layers of soft underskirt.) It is a completely soft skirt flared with gores. She danced at a feis in Feb. and it looked better. Not as short... though it is certainly still a shorter dress. And she has very long legs.

I just received notice that the dress was reported as "non-compliant" at a feis we did in January. How do I go about finding out if the alterations I made between Jan and Now are compliant? She is going to Worlds and we obviously don't want her disqualified. To further complicate things, she (and the offending dress) are away at college (though she is not terribly far away).

What is my best approach to figuring out if this dress can be altered some how (it has no waist--so making it longer is not an easy matter). Would my best bet be to call a reputable professional dress maker and see if she can advise me? I would be happy to compensate her for her time.

The dress all lace overlay over opaque material. There is no area where it is just lace. The collar bone is covered. I didn't get any specifics about what was wrong, but I highly suspect it was the length.

Are there any rules about the flow of the skirt? It swirls out pretty far when she spins.

any advise is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Other than this obvious rather major issue... we love the dress and would like to make it work.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:

Subject: Following on from the post below about pricing, I'm just wondering what average price you would charge for a dress for an 8yr old, and for a 16yr old, both O/C? Curious as to what the dressmakers would charge when they say the price is the same

Author:
?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 23, 03:40:38pm

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone upgraded to Bernina 7 from 6 software?

Author:
just wondering how it is
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 05:31:16pm

Replies:

Subject: Would love some ideas for crystals on white satin

Author:
Blinging Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 15, 03:26:06pm

Hi, we're in the home stretch before the O. and are blinging a lovely SNDM OTR solo dress. DD's teachers prefer only clear crystal or crystal AB because that's what Gavin's shop uses. I think they use only those to make things simple -- they make and bling a large number of dresses, fast! It is DD's last dress, and she has chosen matching colored crystals for the embroidery. She wants to do a scattering of crystals on the white satin bodice and sleeves, as well, but doesn't want the harsh polka-dot look of clear crystals (her words, not mine).

She wants to try small "opal" crystals instead. I'm afraid that they won't sparkle enough to be worth the bother and expense. Does anyone have experience with the opal crystals, or have an alternative to suggest? I need to get this order in right away; nothing like waiting until the last week, LOL! Thank you so much.

Replies:

Subject: Postage update

Author:
sdm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 07, 02:28:09pm

I spent 78.00 to ship from US to Germany
and 81.00 to Australia.
Crazy!
US priority large flat rate box.

Replies:

Subject: Going rates for assistants to do piece work or hourly??

Author:
Just need some extra hands
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 13, 08:25:50pm

Starting a search for an experienced seamstress to help out with a little of the grunt work. Anyone have any ideas on a going rate for helpers?? Cutting/sizing bodices, sewing skirt ruffles etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Replies:

Subject: How long does it typically take you to digitize a full dress design. Let's say a championship, heavily emroidered/appliqued dress. It can take me up to two full 8 hour days. Is this normal? I feel it's taking a lot longer than necessary and I may need to consider outsourcing some digitizing.

Author:
Anyone else take a long time?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 06:23:41pm

Replies:

Subject: Anyone have a source for LIME green pleated plisse???

Author:
None on ebay looked everywhere I can think
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 06:59:11pm

Replies:

Subject: Is this OK ? I am making my daughter's prelim dancer dress and have lovely large pear shaped NON swarovski AB diamantes to decorate it. As for regular stoning I was planning to use up SS30 Czech crystals on the rest of the dress that are just clear. Does mixing AB and Clear crystals work ???

Author:
Curious (:))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 09, 08:06:28pm

Replies:

Subject: A couple of years ago petal shaped fabric was used in skirts. I am looking for some of this fabric for a dance costume, not irish. Can someone tell me what it was called or a source for it? Thank you.

Author:
gg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 19, 08:35:51pm

Replies:

Subject: copper satin

Author:
bg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 11:14:23am

Do any of you know of a on-line store that carries copper satin. The color of a polished copper pot, maybe slightly on the rust side of copper?
thank you!

Replies:

Subject: Yahoo group Question- I can't find it when I search iddressmaking

Author:
Please help
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 02, 03:11:19pm

Someone suggested I join the iddressmaking group- but I can't find it- can someone help?

Replies:

Subject: Sewing machine tune-ups/repairs--surveying pricing

Author:
sticker shock sewer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 09:17:06am

I take my sewing machines to a local shop that sells many brands-and they usually charge $65-$90 depending on the brand and model(computerized machines cost more). However, I just purchased a used mid-arm machine(Janome)that is a straight stitch only machine, all mechanical and when I dropped it off the guy told me they cost $199 to do a tune up--I was shocked!!! Wondering what the typical rates are in other parts of the the US-I am in the midwest, fairly large city.

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone else have trouble with clips flying off the X-Panto frame, and if so, how have you fixed the problem please? My dealer has no clue!

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 26, 09:22:40pm

Replies:

Subject: Neon fuschia?

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 04:06:34pm

I'm on a hunt for a really really bright fuchsia satin. I love the American Beauty twinkle/crystal satin, but its too light. So far, the fuchsia satins I have found (locally & SY fabrics) were either too dark, too red, or too flat.

Any suggestions? Celtic Start seems to use one a lot, and that is the shade the dancer is looking for.

Replies:

Subject: 11 month old Gavin Doherty Dress for sale

Author:
Majella
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 26, 05:37:40am

http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Sligo/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/11-month-old-Gavin-Doherty-Dress-for-sale/3759

Subject: Please read inside. I am so discouraged.

Author:
I am sooooo done.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 05, 08:41:14pm

I think I've finally reached the point where I'm going to stop making dresses. This year has been the worst I have ever experienced with unreasonable clients. The tipping point has come over this weekend with a teacher hounding me while I was on vacation because her daughter's dress was stuck at a postal outlet and that I should interupt my vacation to deal with it (which I did because I care, even though there was nothing that could be done on my end). What I could possibly do I have no idea but was told that if they did not receive the dress in time for the competion on Saturday then they had no use for the dress and would return it. And to top it off I've just received an email from a client for whom I made a dress, who wore it to their Oireachtas and other competitions, who qualified for World's in it and all of a sudden it's poorly made and doesn't fit right and the client acually wants to return the dress to me and give her a 75 percent refund. Am I crazy to think that this is outrageously ridiculous.

Replies:

Subject: Great News for Canadian Dressmakers or those US dressmakers wanting to take advantage of our weak dollar.

Author:
Michelle Lewis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 19, 07:13:10pm

My favorite fabric store located in Hamilton Ontario (Ann's Fabrics) has agreed to carry twinkle satin. Cost will be only be around $5.50/metre or $5.00(ish)/yard with the normal pricebreaks as the volume increases. After extensive consultation we decided to have the twinkle satin made a little heavier and denser (although still opaque) than what I've normally be purchasing from Sy Fabrics. I ordered the following colors: white, black, turquoise, flo yellow, flo green, american beauty, cherry red and a few others I can't remember. Marco is placing the order on Wednesday so if you are interested and there are any colors that you'd like please contact him or myself (lewisirishdresses) and I'll relay the message. I'm really excited not to have to pay duty for this fabric anymore and am hoping that you'll use Ann's Fabrics as your Twinkle Satin source. They're super nice and very reliable and quick to ship.

Replies:

Subject: bernina v5 help, weird problem

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 20, 06:41:03pm

This isn't irish related, but I know a lot of you use Bernina so hopefully someone knows whats up!

I made an in the hoop book mark, stitches outline, does design and satin stitch border, just like you'd expect. And I stuck 4 in a hoop. Tested it on my brother machine, stitches just like you'd expect. watched redraw in software, stitches just like you'd expect. Sent it to someone with a pfaff (vp3 format) and its doing something really weird. Instead of stitching the whole color/box at once like it should, its stitching the right side of the hoop, then the left side of the hoop. Jumping back and forth, not completing things it should. Its the same design saved in two different formats. So I'm guessing there's a glitch somewhere? Why would it be doing this? Has anyone experienced this and do you have any ideas? Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Another iron bites the dust.

Author:
LynnOH
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 20, 10:22:14am

Cordless Panasonic lasted 4-5? years. Any suggestions on an iron that lasts longer than 5 years? Is this being unreasonable? Are those expensive ones worth it?

Replies:

Subject: Rhinestone prices?

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 03, 11:14:34am

I'm curious about how everyone is pricing their rhinestones. Do you price them by the gross, per stone, or by the 100? Do you charge different prices based on size, or an average? How do you calculate application time? I'm sure every dressmaker is different, but I'm a bit stumped on the best way to charge for stones and am just looking for ideas.

Replies:

Subject: Has anybody converted a bubble skirt to a soft skirt?

Author:
thanks for your feedback
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 10, 08:44:59pm

I noticed a beautiful bubble skirt style dress in my DD's size that they are practically giving away. I love the bubble style but TC does not & she is also worried about re-sale for us. The embroidery on the bodice & the skirt is so pretty. Can a bubble skirt be converted to a soft skirt. I have minimal sewing skills but enough to realize something that sounds easy really is not. If anybody has done this what would you charge? I am just trying to decide if we should strongly consider this dress.

Replies:

Subject: Hi talented ladies!

Author:
Question
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 16, 09:46:06am

We want to make some simple satin capes for show costumes. What size is the piece of fabric? We want to have the fold over type with fringed edges. Thanks in advance.

Replies:

Subject: Fabric

Author:
Tasha
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 04, 12:02:41pm

I used to make dresses but stopped a few years ago. I still have a lot of fabric and would like to sell it since some of it was pretty expensive but I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone with the Tajima or Toyota with the X-panto frame ever switch frames? I have the other sizes and I know a while ago somebody talked about a fix where their service guy made it really easy to do. It would be nice to be able to utilize the machine for more than the dresses.

Author:
trish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 09, 04:36:36pm

Replies:

Subject: Tulle skirt construction?

Author:
Rachel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 20, 09:55:21am

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me. I'm a dancer who makes her own solo dresses, and I'd REALLY like to make one of the tulle skirts that I've seen on a lot of Celtic Star dresses lately. However, I'm unsure of how to go about making one...I haven't been able to look at one up close, despite looking for them everywhere at Oireachtas. I know there's a stiffened skirt with a layer of tulle on top. If anyone could help me figure out the construction, that would be awesome! Thank you! :)

Replies:

Subject: bernina v5 software?

Author:
small dm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 27, 12:18:37pm

What do you guys think about Bernina v5 software? Ideally I'd eventually update to 6 or 7 but would it "do" for awhile? or do I need to plan on updating as soon as I purchase?

Replies:

Subject: Can anyone recommend a dress form? My daughter is a kid size 12 right now. I am looking for a junior sized form.

Author:
Sewing mama
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 03:03:41pm

Replies:

Subject: What are your thoughts on embroidering through the bodice lining of your costumes? I currently don't but it appears that more and more of the BNDM's are doing this and it's not being questioned by customers. It would definitely make finishing necklines a lot easier but I'm not sure if this is something a lot of SNDM are doing also? Has anyone had any customer feedback on this?

Author:
not sure what direction to take..
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 10:24:22am

Replies:

Subject: I need a new crystal supplier. I've had it with tamisplace.

Author:
movin on
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 04, 11:43:49pm

Her site changes constantly and now it don't just take paypal. I can't get an order with all her bs Im fed up.
I need links that work and that I don't have to waste hours on. Thanks for any help.

Replies:

Subject: Please tell me we aren't going down the cartoon dress road!

Author:
no no no
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 12, 08:13:39pm

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone have a formula for calculating overall dress length from the dancer's height please? Just to give an average dress length, for a start?

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 02, 03:47:00pm

Replies:

Subject: Help needed....

Author:
frustrated
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 06, 11:38:36am

I've somehow managed to change my measurement reading in my Bernina V6 software to mm and I can't figure out how to change it back to inches...

Any one know where or how I do this? Currently searhing the web and getting nowhere.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Replies:

Subject: This has been a long hard Os season. New business model: charge outrageous prices for dresses that don't fit at all and refuse to fix them and let someone else get nitpicked over alterations

Author:
frustrated
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 07:30:26pm

Replies:

Subject: Crystal search

Author:
Have glue, will travel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 02, 01:18:32am

I can't find large flat back round Rivoli crystals on any of my usual websites, including Dreamtime Creations. I want clear crystal, not sew-on. I'd appreciate any leads! Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: So I made dd a new dress for the O's but couldn't get it finished in time to test drive it at a local feis. Disaster! I edged the solid black, soft flowy skater style velvet skirt in a row of 48 crystals and she jingled like a belly dancer! So I pulled off all those crystals and now the skirt is boring and bare. I'm thinking of replacing it with a double row rhinestone chain. Do you think that will jingle just as much? I've never worked with it so I don't know how stiff it is.

Author:
thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 11:30:08am

Replies:

Subject: Show costumes

Author:
looking for ideas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 15, 09:41:42pm

Hi all... I normally make costumes for my school's end of year show/displays.

In the past, the costumes have typically been made as two piece, with a circle type skirt and a fitted bodice. Bodices have always had large side seams, waist hem and zipper allowance so I can alter them as needed. It has worked pretty well in the past as I've been able to alter bodices up around a size, or take in as needed as and when dancers have grown, and when dancers have retired or left and new dancers have come up the levels. The two piece concept also means we can switch things up a little (bodice A with skirt B, Bodice A with Skirt C, Skirt C with a fitted tee and a belt...).

However I AM looking to update or expand a little bit in the next year or so as we've had these costumes for around 5 years. I am trying to think out side the "bodice & skirt" box. I'd love to do some princess line "jean butler" style dresses but am concerned about the long term fitting/altering aspect. We also have a large variety of shapes and sizes so whatever I do needs to be flattering to super slim teens as well as curvier women.

Does anyone have any input as to what styles have worked for their schools? In particular with long term altering as dancers grow or as costumes move on to new dancers.
es - just trying to get some basic ideas for concepts

Replies:

Subject: Would this be a scam? If you scroll down on the listing, it says to contact the seller directly and the price is $2,500.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 07:24:04am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BERNINA-830LE-Limited-Edition-SEWING-EMBROIDERY-MACHINE-Includes-BSR/111235839179?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D3298602899410895011%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D331080270919%26&autorefresh=true

Replies:

Subject: I know nothing about the digitizing programs, I just started exploring.

Author:
Could someone explain the differences? Thank you.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 08, 09:48:30am

There is a big difference in price on these two, but seems the same. Is it possible?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-DesignerPlus-Version-5-Embroidery-Software-/281220469762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417a0bd402

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-Embroidery-Software-Designer-Plus-Full-Version-5-Used-1-hour-4-training/281219870563?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D3255520560878638006%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D281220469762%26

I also looked at this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-DesignerPlus-Version-5-Embroidery-Software-/281220469762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417a0bd402

Replies:

Subject: We are looking at a used dress that fits well except that it is a bit tight in the front between the shoulders so that my daughter couldn't pull her shoulders all the way back. Is this something that can be fixed by letting out at the shoulder seam?

Author:
M
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 23, 02:59:35pm

Or is this an area that can't really be altered?

Replies:

Subject: Trying to find a good color stone to use on flourescent hot pink fabric. I got "fuschia" from Dreamstime but its too dark of a color. Any other suggestions on what to try?

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 06:43:23am

I want to stone the pink fabric to make it sparkle, but I don't want to have the stones look too much like polka-dotting the fabric. thanks for any suggestions.

Replies:

Subject: advice on back of bodice - almost every time I make a dress the back bodice is left in a bump - sometimes a huge one - it's like the bodice is too long - but if I take the extra material away the whole back of the dress comes up short - can anyone help? This is becoming a nightmare, really because I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 21, 05:11:33am

Replies:

Subject: Tips for shipping dress from Canada to USA?

Author:
MAR Dancer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 12:30:13pm

Wondering whether anyone has advice for shipping a dress from Canada to the US. I have a limited time frame (just over 1 week) to get a dress from Western Canada to Eastern US and am wondering what the best way is to list the dress on the customs form so as to avoid delays. Currently looking into Canada Post, UPS, and Fedex as shipping options.

Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Wow that was some bus that I just got thrown under. Better work on those eyes in the back of my head.

Author:
Still sore....
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 07:58:19pm

Replies:

Subject: digitizing software

Author:
dress maker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 10, 07:00:39pm

Whats your prefered digitizing software? I have embird and masterworks 3 (baby lock) and I'm not super crazy about either for irish stuff. So what do you have and why do you like it for dressmaking? Thanks :)

Replies:

Main index ] [ Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]
Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.