VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]
Subject: Show costumes

Author:
looking for ideas
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, November 15, 09:41:42pm

Hi all... I normally make costumes for my school's end of year show/displays.

In the past, the costumes have typically been made as two piece, with a circle type skirt and a fitted bodice. Bodices have always had large side seams, waist hem and zipper allowance so I can alter them as needed. It has worked pretty well in the past as I've been able to alter bodices up around a size, or take in as needed as and when dancers have grown, and when dancers have retired or left and new dancers have come up the levels. The two piece concept also means we can switch things up a little (bodice A with skirt B, Bodice A with Skirt C, Skirt C with a fitted tee and a belt...).

However I AM looking to update or expand a little bit in the next year or so as we've had these costumes for around 5 years. I am trying to think out side the "bodice & skirt" box. I'd love to do some princess line "jean butler" style dresses but am concerned about the long term fitting/altering aspect. We also have a large variety of shapes and sizes so whatever I do needs to be flattering to super slim teens as well as curvier women.

Does anyone have any input as to what styles have worked for their schools? In particular with long term altering as dancers grow or as costumes move on to new dancers.
es - just trying to get some basic ideas for concepts

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
The most user-friendly school dresses I have seen were princess line velvet or gabardine dresses made with room at the waist and a wide flare to the skirt. On the back sewn into the princess seams at the waist were wide tiesthat could cinched in the waist to accomodate whomever was wearing the dress, and which were hidden by a vertical cape. The dresses are flattering on all the girls and and the alterations were minimal as they were passed from dancer to dancer because of the cinching. (NT)DMTuesday, November 19, 09:53:46am

The most user-friendly school dresses I have seen were princess line velvet or gabardine dresses made with room at the waist and a wide flare to the skirt. On the back sewn into the princess seams at the waist were wide ties that could cinch in the waist to accomodate whomever was wearing the dress, and which were hidden by a vertical cape. The dresses are flattering on all the girls and and the alterations were minimal as they were passed from dancer to dancer because of the cinching. (NT)DMTuesday, November 19, 09:54:47am

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.