VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]
Subject: Hello Knowledgable ladies! I need advise!

Author:
x
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, February 21, 10:44:25pm

I made my daughter a dress. It is more of a "show style" dress. It ended up a too short. A fact that I didn't realize til I saw it at a local feis. She dance and placed where expected, but I knew the dress was too short so I added about an inch of trim to the front and about an inch and a half to the back (it looked shorter in back) and also lengthened the underskirts (it has three layers of soft underskirt.) It is a completely soft skirt flared with gores. She danced at a feis in Feb. and it looked better. Not as short... though it is certainly still a shorter dress. And she has very long legs.

I just received notice that the dress was reported as "non-compliant" at a feis we did in January. How do I go about finding out if the alterations I made between Jan and Now are compliant? She is going to Worlds and we obviously don't want her disqualified. To further complicate things, she (and the offending dress) are away at college (though she is not terribly far away).

What is my best approach to figuring out if this dress can be altered some how (it has no waist--so making it longer is not an easy matter). Would my best bet be to call a reputable professional dress maker and see if she can advise me? I would be happy to compensate her for her time.

The dress all lace overlay over opaque material. There is no area where it is just lace. The collar bone is covered. I didn't get any specifics about what was wrong, but I highly suspect it was the length.

Are there any rules about the flow of the skirt? It swirls out pretty far when she spins.

any advise is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Other than this obvious rather major issue... we love the dress and would like to make it work.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
My advice would be to make your daughter a new dress. You really know what's wrong, and since she's going to Worlds, it seems the obvious solution to me. (NT)Good Luck!Saturday, February 22, 02:26:31am

Well, I made it when she was home at Christmas time. I dont have the neccessary skills to make a dress without trying it on her every 10 minutes. She is away at college. (more)O.P.Saturday, February 22, 09:10:46am

This is beginning to sound like it's not a real query, but just in case it is.... why not have her put the dress on and have a friend take a photo of her in it from both front and back. Then text the photo to the TC she is registered with. They will tell her if the dress meets the new rules. (NT)just a thought...Saturday, February 22, 08:16:32pm

You have two months or so till the Worlds. Plenty of time to make a new dress, if you made this dress at Christmas time. Check with TC to be sure you know what is non-compliant. Get the dress back (post?), and make another using the first one for measurements, increasing it where you already know it needs to be different. (NT)Problem solved.Saturday, February 22, 08:31:33pm

She won't get disqualified. Most dresses at worlds will be on the short side. (NT)If it's already a bit longer now, just leave it.Sunday, February 23, 02:11:02am

An ideaGood luckSunday, February 23, 05:33:03pm

Measuring on the back of the leg, the hem must be no shorter than half way between the fold where the knee bends and the glutial fold (where the leg meets the buttock).Another momTuesday, February 25, 04:29:19pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.