VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Looking for some guidance...

Author:
---
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thursday, November 03, 08:34:20pm

I am a retired dancer currently designing dresses in my spare time and selling them for some extra money. I handdraw them with an app on my iPad and then post them on my website and social media to sell them. I've been lucky enough to have quite a good number of them made into costumes by various dressmakers. I have been doing his for about two years, but I am interested in expanding my knowledge. Eventually, I'd like to either work for a dressmaker or own my own business making dresses.

I have very limited knowledge at this time (unfortunately). I don't know much about sewing, digitizing, or the actual process of making a costume. I am much more successful in the area of design ideas, concepts, colors, etc.

My question, for those of you who are willing to share your experience, is how did you get started as a dressmaker? Did you have much knowledge of dressmaking beforehand or did you learn as you went? Did you learn from another dressmaker? Do you have any advice as to what steps I should take next? Thank you!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
where are you locatedbgFriday, November 04, 08:39:12am

Where are you located. I'm looking to hire. (NT)xFriday, November 04, 01:04:35pm

I am located in Wisconsin (USA). I need to stay in the area to finish college and continue teaching at my dance school. (NT)OPFriday, November 04, 04:22:43pm

You can remain a designer but to become a dressmaker you have to start sewing.My story insideFriday, November 04, 06:50:00pm

I was graduated at the Art Academy in theatre costumes. Learned how to deisgn and sew there. When my daughter started ID I started to make her dresses first and had clients in no time. (NT)sndmSaturday, November 05, 12:36:12pm

I sewed most of my own clothes as a teenager, made baby and toddler clothes for my young daughter, and then when she started dancing I realised I could probably make her an ID dress. I very quickly became addicted.....more inside....Saturday, November 05, 04:51:37pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.