VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: You can remain a designer but to become a dressmaker you have to start sewing.

Author:
My story inside
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, November 04, 06:50:00pm
In reply to: --- 's message, "Looking for some guidance..." on Thursday, November 03, 08:34:20pm

I've been sewing forever as I watched my mom and grandma sewing. I made doll clothes as a child and then went into crafts, quilting, adult clothes, and home dec. My neighbor would see me sewing in my garage and asked if I could make her some curtains. This started my sewing for pay. Another neighbor eventually brought over an Irish dance dress and asked if I could take it in just a little. Then I was hooked. I learned a ton by doing alterations on many ID dresses.

I have taken many sewing classes through groups and college. The most helpful to ID dresses were a tailoring class and a patterning class. You also need to have a lot of conversations with teachers and dancers about what makes a good dress. There are the facts of good fit and then the trending options. And fitting a dancer is different than fitting a runway model.

Your design skills sound great and you can certainly stay on that side of the business and find a partner who is more on the construction side. But you will become a better designer if you fully understand the limitations of fit, seams, darts, curves, etc.

Then comes the embroidery and digitizing. Electronics and machinery. Each of these requires practice. It can be extremely helpful to work side by side with someone to learn these skills but they can be done through videos and online resources.

I have never made this a full-time business. It has always been something that I enjoyed and left enough free-time to be available for my family. It has been a lot of fun for me and you never know what the future holds once you get started. These are my thoughts, Darlene

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
I concur. You need to be a very good seamstress first. I had been sewing since I was about 9 years old. I had made my own formal gowns, and lots of clothes before I ever started ID dresses. Being a good seamstress takes lots of practice, so start now. (NT)..Friday, November 04, 08:55:14pm

But to continue the thought, good design can be hard to learncontinuedSaturday, November 05, 12:18:25am

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.