VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: I sewed most of my own clothes as a teenager, made baby and toddler clothes for my young daughter, and then when she started dancing I realised I could probably make her an ID dress. I very quickly became addicted.....more inside...

Author:
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 04:51:37pm
In reply to: --- 's message, "Looking for some guidance..." on Thursday, November 03, 08:34:20pm

A kind dressmaker took me through one dress, and then I made a few dresses in quick succession to practice all the techniques and layers of fabric etc.
Then I started looking at every dress I could at majors, specifically for fabrics and techniques. I also bought several BNDM dresses and made my own patterns based on a combination of dresses I had studied.
Then I made dress after dress after dress, looking at each one really critically to see what I could improve to get exactly the "right look". It doesn't happen straight away. There is no half-decent pattern worth buying, so you just have to work it out for yourself. And in my experience, anyone who has worked out a really good pattern and techniques is not going to give them away to anyone else, as it is such valuable information!
But have a go! Have a good look at lots of really nice dresses, and then there is no alternative to trying to make a few good off the rack dresses yourself. You will have to work at it to get the right proportion of skirt to bodice, the right proportion of front skirt to back skirt, the right amount of flare and stiffening and layers in the skirt. You will have to learn how to digitize, and embroider (plus you will need a large expensive embroidery machine if you are serious about this). Don't expect to sell your first year or two's dresses for much, but as your experience and intuition improve, you will find customers come to you, and your business will grow!
Good Luck!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Brand model embroidery machineBaffledTuesday, February 21, 11:23:45pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.