VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

Celtic Flame Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Welcome to the message board for the designers and makers of Irish Dance Costumes, Irish Dancers of all ages, and others interested in Irish Dance. Please feel free to ask questions and give advice often! Check out the FAQ for these topics: Puffy Headband Instructions 4 & 5 Panel Dress Instructions and Poll Zipper Poll
FAQ Link

Subject: Have you ever had an idea for a dress & before you could get it out there see a similar design by a BNDM?

Author:
Has happened to me 5x now. :(
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 06:36:33am

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:

Subject: Rhinestone glue marks

Author:
Help!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 05, 08:10:01pm

How do I (or can I) remove glue marks on black velvet? Am gluing small rhinestones and have some glue marks that I don't like...is there a way to remove them without damaging the fabric???

Replies:

Subject: sometime recently pellon has switched from their heavyweight interfacings from 22" wide to 20" wide....more inside....

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 07, 01:51:04pm

when using it with the taller girls, it has to be pieced together to get the correct size. Has anyone found something else to use that is wider?? I'm using this for the backs of school dresses. Any help would be appreciated.

Subject: does anyone have a link to a nice dress design template? the one i wanted to use from the IDM design competition isn`t up anymore.

Author:
thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 29, 10:12:38am

For a school project. Thanks! Much appreciated!

Replies:

Subject: Headed off to the New York garment district in a couple weeks. What are your favorite stores?

Author:
1st timer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 26, 08:44:37pm

Replies:

Subject: What is the best stone to match up with fluorescent pink?

Author:
need to order today
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 29, 12:01:24pm

Replies:

Subject: does anyone know if swarovski discontinued the Lt Topaz? and if so what is a good gold color crystal to use instead?

Author:
BG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 04:10:37pm

Replies:

Subject: My daughter's TC wants me to add a lot more swarovski stones to my daughter's dress before the O because she doesn't think it sparkles enough on stage. I was just on Dreamtime creations and I see they have two different types of swarovski hotfix stones. Could someone please tell me the difference between 2028 and 2038 other than the price?

Author:
ecrmama
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 08:19:57pm

Replies:

Subject: What is the name of the material you can put over sequins to protect the wig from getting yucky?Is it a netting?

Author:
kathy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 09:14:06am

Replies:

Subject: Bedspread/Quilt/Duvet covers

Author:
sparrow
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 11, 06:36:18am

I was wondering if anyone makes/has made celtic embroidered bedspread covers before? I was looking for some and can't seem to find anything. I'm not a dressmaker, so unfortunately I can't do it myself.

I thought a simple white cover with knot work 3/4 of the way down across in a simple pattern would be beautiful.

Does anyone do this or would anyone be able to do this?

Thanking you :)

Replies:

Subject: Layers and skirt structure

Author:
Donna
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 17, 02:23:00pm

I am back to making more dresses after a wee break. I am planning to use twinkle satin for the main body, however it seems quite light/see-through. What "layers" are dressmakers currently using for twinkle satin and how easy is it to work with. Also is it durable?
I am planning to do a pleated skirt and have looked under several BNDM made skirts. Some are quite structured and some have little or no structure under the skirt.I am interested to know what amount of structure dressmakers are currently using and whether you vary it at all (age, build of dancer etc?).

Replies:

Subject: Somewhere, long ago, I think someone on this board siad that they had made a costume for a doll, that resembled the dancers dress. Anyone interested? I just had an inquiry and I can't take it on.

Author:
Terri E CO
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 06:25:43pm

Replies:

Subject: It appears the the dm who has been copying dresses has taken down her FB page. I can't find it, can anyone else access it?

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 03, 03:32:16pm

Replies:

Subject: Cape for beginner skirts

Author:
Rosemarie (Kelso Custom Covers)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 06:50:36pm

I am needing to make a cape (shawl) for a beginner. Any hints please? Like measurements. I remember seeing details a few years ago. Didn't need it then. I am making skirts for 5 yr. olds to 11 year olds. Thanks for your help in advance. You can always e-mail me if you like.

Replies:

Subject: How close is a copy? Look at dress 1145C on Dance Again and then on the featured Elevation dress. Are they not identical?

Author:
Holy Cow.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 08:43:11am

Replies:

Subject: So who's making a three-panel story dress this week?

Author:
Anyone???
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 25, 06:09:10pm

Replies:

Subject: skirts? Are skirts still offset to the front? A lot of pictures I'm seeing now look like the front goes right to the side seam?

Author:
trying to make :(
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 03, 09:26:53am

Can anyone tell me cause I havn't been to a feis in ages and daughter has went back to dancing - first feis coming up and I'm making costume. Are the skirts still offset to the front or do they go right to the side seam?

Replies:

Subject: Female Irish dancer 4 new show production needed

Author:
Liam C.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 02, 12:21:33pm

!!!NEW SHOWPRODUCTION!!!

We are looking for 1 sensational female Irish dancer for the show "Night of the Dance - Flow" commencing middle December 2012 until end of March 2013

If you are talented and looking for a new chalenge, send your CV with a full body picture and headshot to:

audition@irishthunder.de

All applications need to be received by November 20th 2012...We eagerly awaiting your applications and wish you good luck

Payment details: details later (you will be paid per week in Euro)

Applications to this casting call require:
•A phone number
•A profile photo
•A profile video

Replies:

Subject: I have decided to make an Irish Dancing dress for my major work, any ideas on where to find drop waist pattern?

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 01, 11:30:27pm

Replies:

Subject: Any ballpark figure on what to charge for a boys jacket? Fully embroidered...I figured about 1/2 a dress?

Author:
MJ
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 12:02:02pm

Replies:

Subject: After 14 years of struggling to make the bills on dressmaking

Author:
sdm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 20, 11:06:32am

worrying every month if I could get orders, and then give them away for a few hundred dollars, and still barely scrape by, I decided to start a cleaning service. It pays waaaay better and it's a steady income without the worry.I can still take repeat cusomers, but cutting out the stress.
Now Im appreciated for what I do. It's so nice. :-)
Never to late for a change.

Replies:

Subject: Learning the acronyms here...what does BNDM and SNDM mean?

Author:
thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 01, 09:03:26pm

Replies:

Subject: Skater Skirts

Author:
sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 20, 06:43:25pm

I am working on the new skater style skirt. I havent seen the inside of any of the bndm's skirts, but are they putting only one layer of skirt? or a whole second layer of skirt underneath to add more color? Or are they doing both? I am just trying to figure out it it is uncommon to have only the skater layer of the skirt and not two layers to the skirt.
Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: A friend suggested a dressmaker named Shari? Sherry? in US to make an "affordable" solo dress. I'd buy used but my daughter is...not skinny. Not trying to be cheap just don't think a 14 years old new prizewinner needs an expensive dress. Under $900?

Author:
Any takers in Midwest? Thanks! :)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 02:26:23pm

Replies:

Subject: feather skirt for sale:http://www.dance-again.com/X1926.html. Just saw this dress for sale! will be hard to sell now the feathers have been ban, :(

Author:
sad!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 01, 04:40:48pm

Subject: I just found out via Dance.net that feathers have been banned. Are there any other changes that have been made that we dressmakers should be aware of?

Author:
op
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 26, 08:46:54pm

Replies:

Subject: Searching for this fabric?

Author:
Pleassssssssssssse
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 04, 11:46:04pm

Any one seen it online or shopping? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=324325354333138&set=a.202312539867754.41533.172381399527535&type=1&theater

Replies:

Subject: How do you purchase Tegaderm for protection of sequin fabric? Easy to apply?

Author:
SNDM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 11:16:36pm

Replies:

Subject: attaching skirt to v waist

Author:
confused
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 01:45:49pm

Can someone help me. Trying to make a costume with 'v' waist - what length and how would I cut the skirt? It's like 8 inches in the middle but goes up to 12 inches at the sides? Talking myself in and outta things - maybe someone can shed light before I cut the material? Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies:

Subject: With regards to a post about Micro velvet below...

Author:
need some velvet too!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 19, 11:23:11am

Is the "premier" velvet listed on Joanns website the micro velvet?

Replies:

Subject: How do you handle a lesser experienced dressmaker who comes to you for advice, input, and/or actual work who then disengages and goes on to do what you taught her without any acknowledgement or thanks!? Not a "newbie" but unfortunately a "taker" which makes her dishonest. Wrote it off, but her "success" can be attributed to more than just me...all she ever had to say was, "Thank you for TEACHING me." And folks wonder why we are not more forthcoming.

Author:
sadly irritating
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 02:41:23am

Replies:

Subject: Is there any secrect to NOT breaking a millions needles when serging sequins?

Author:
Going crazy!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 11, 03:28:13pm

Replies:

Subject: Hi, I'm looking for advice on making a simple soft cape. The fabric is twinkle satin, and I have lots of it. I'm just not thrilled with the hard cape that came with the dress, and I'm hoping that this is something even a novice can manage. Any advice?

Author:
thanks in advance!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 15, 07:53:47am

Replies:

Subject: organza ribbon

Author:
Mary Nolan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 04:52:59pm

I am looking for 5 inch black organza ribbon with thin wire edge to add a layer to a current ID dress-anyone have any idea where I can find this???

Replies:

Subject: Bernina V6 SOftware help.

Author:
centered
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 06:33:42pm

I may be over thinking this one, but is it possible to manually move the center point of a design? I'm going to split a large design and it would be soooo much easier to line it up for re-hooping if I could relocate my center point on the second design.

Is this possible? Been trying to find it in the manuals and online help and I'm almost certain I "accidentally" moved it before?

Might be wishful thinking but would love any input you may have.

Thanks Ladies (and maybe Gents too?)

Replies:

Subject: Design Recommendations for a very T H I N dancer

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 23, 03:28:30am

I am about to start a dress for a very small - pencil thin - dancer under 11. Dancer and mom are great, giving full creativity to me. They only have one request. Whatever I put on the bodice, they don't want it to make her look thin. I have a few ideas, but thought I'd ask here to see what advice you might have. Thanks very much!

Replies:

Subject: What kinds of capes are dancers using for bolero dresses? Not sure I understand what would look best.

Author:
SNDM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 14, 08:36:31pm

Replies:

Subject: I do a lot of dress alterations and recently there have been a number of dresses where the velcro used for the cape is stuck onto the dress. PLEASE DO NOT USE STICK ON VELCRO as it will leave marks on most fabrics and completely destroy velvet. when alterations are necessary.

Author:
Thanks for your help
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 14, 05:03:43pm

Yes, it is easier in the short term but for long term wear it is completely impractical.

Replies:

Subject: Opinion please

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 11, 10:25:47pm

Am about to start a new bolero style dress, and had an idea.
Would it look strange to actually make it 2 separate pieces, with an actual jacket? Would appreciate your thoughts!

Replies:

Subject: Hello, I keep reading about micro velvet. is this the same as regular stretch velvet or is it a non stretch material. I'd just like to know what to search for when ordering some, so if there's another name it may be called, I'd be interested to know. Thank you.

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 05, 09:27:37pm

Replies:

Subject: I have recently upgraded the FeisDresses.com website to help improve the site for its users. As always, the site is free to use to buy or sell your dresses, vests, accessories, etc. Here some of the changes:

Author:
Rhonda at FeisDresses.com
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 10:25:00am

(Dressmakers you can use this site for free too! Feel free to list your OTR dresses, etc. or create a dressmakers listing for free.)

I now have a section called “Featured Dresses” where these dresses will remain on the home page of the site – AND on the category pages. So these dresses will get maximum exposure on the site. There is a small charge for this feature, otherwise regular postings remain free.

You can now edit your ad, directly from the ad page.

You now have the ability to delete your own ads at any time, whether they are sold or whether you just want to remove the listing. You still have the ability to mark a dress as sold. Both capabilities are in there so you can use them how you wish. Just go to your “Dashboard” to manage your ads.

You are now able to add up to four photos to each listing.

I will continue to upgrade and improve the FeisDresses.com site so if you have any suggestions feel free to email them to me for future updates. My goal is to keep the website free to help out the ID community. Please spread the word of this site to your dance friends and TCs. Thanks everyone!

Replies:

Subject: Thinking of putting a new skirt on my dds dress and getting a new shawl made , can anyone give me a rough price to have this done . I have my on material and i am in the fermanagh area.

Author:
mum
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 04, 07:08:48am

Replies:

Subject: Anyone have a suggestion as to what crystal color works great on Flo orange embroidery and fabric? What orange color? I'm also using regular AB crystals on the dress.

Author:
thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 04, 12:44:35pm

Replies:

Subject: Which is better for beginner dancers. 3 panel skirt or wrap around skirt

Author:
Rosemarie (Kelso Custom Covers)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 24, 09:56:49pm

Customer wanting us to make a skirt for their school. Which would be a better skirt design for the girls. Or does it matter. thanks for your help.

Replies:

Subject: new skirt on old dress

Author:
big ideas - no talent
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 01, 01:18:43pm

So, my daughter currently has a very lovely petal style dress that has never been altered. She's been wearing it for almost a year now (got it just in time for O's last year) and it may need to be let down a little (but then again maybe not) before this year's O's. Also, the main problem, is that some of the petals on the side are starting to get a little worse for wear and it doesn't help that she's a little girl and they are white.
My question is would it be possible for an every day seamstress to take the "old" petal skirt off and put on a new skater style skirt? We have someone that we have used for alterations in the past and she's very good at that and for making every day clothing but I'm scared she may say yes and then be in over her head with this. I am absolutely useless when it comes to these things so I though that I would ask the opinions of the talented and knowledgable here!
This is a picture of her current dress/skirt:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44598060@N00/8044185475/
this is the style of skirt that we would like to have added:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44598060@N00/8044234006/in/photostream/

Replies:

Subject: Hi. I would like to attempt a skirt like this, any pointers please.. http://www.dance.net/topic/10006385/1/Dresses-Costumes/Stunning-Siopa-Rince-Dress-for-Sale.html&replies=12

Author:
sd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 04:05:57am

Replies:

Subject: hi,just collected my dd beautiful dress, she's so happy...think she'll smile forever. sleeves are made of sequined mmaterial. Help how can I prevent damage

Author:
need help on how to keep sequined o (c)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 06:05:07pm

Subject: Would a sequin bodice look good on a curvy dancer?

Author:
Would like to do the right thing.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 29, 06:36:16am

I have a dancer who would like one of those bolero dresses, and she would like the bodice part to be of sequins. I have seen them, but most dancers who wore them were kids or teens and not very curvy, which she is. The sequin fabric is multi-coloured and the sequins are not lying flat so it's not a flat surface. Will this look okay for her? She has a 37" bust and 31" waist, so an adult body.

Replies:

Subject: Irish Dancers for new showproduction needed!!

Author:
Amargon Ltd./Liam C.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 11:50:57am

!!!NEW SHOWPRODUCTION!!!

We are looking for sensational performers/dancers for the show "Night of the Dance - Flow" commencing middle December 2012.

If you are talented and looking for a new chalenge, send your CV with a full body picture and headshot to:

audition@irishthunder.de

The auditon will be held in Cologne/Germany on October 20th 2012...the exact time and location will be anounced one week before the audition begin.

All applications need to be received by October 10th 2012...We eagerly awaiting your applications and wish you good luck :o)

Waiting for your answer...

Liam C.

Replies:

Subject: Has anyone ever insisted on having a mock up bodice fitting. I have a client who I know I will not be able to fit without seeing her in person and do not want to make the dress without having first seen her. Shipping a bodice would not work either as the figure is a challenging one.I've always been able to make things work long distance but no my limitations.

Author:
If I can't see her in person can I refuse to make the dress?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 08:45:36am

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone know the name of the fabric used for the Melanie Murphy flowers

Author:
It seems like a suede.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 28, 08:10:48am

Replies:

Main index ] [ Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.