VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Subject: you sound like those designers on Project Runway-

Author:
my outlook
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 03:41:33am
In reply to: sadly irritating 's message, "How do you handle a lesser experienced dressmaker who comes to you for advice, input, and/or actual work who then disengages and goes on to do what you taught her without any acknowledgement or thanks!? Not a "newbie" but unfortunately a "taker" which makes her dishonest. Wrote it off, but her "success" can be attributed to more than just me...all she ever had to say was, "Thank you for TEACHING me." And folks wonder why we are not more forthcoming." on Wednesday, October 10, 02:41:23am

there are probably plenty of opportunities for all those who wish to design/create dresses. If you are fortunate enough to be one of the better ones, with loads of talent and skill-and the kindness to share your knowledge with others-you are serving as a teacher. I don't know your age, but hopefully you will get to a point in life where you will do for another without expecting something back-and be gracious about it. You indicated she said "Thank You"--and you call her dishonest. Perhaps there is more to your story? But from what you posted, you sound bitter and jealous of her success--as if you should be getting some praise or acknowldegment? If that's how you feel-maybe it's time to do one of 2 things: A) continue helping others and have the attitude that you get nothing in return other than the warm fuzzy feeling of helping or B) refrain from offering guidance, don't answer questions-keep your wisdom to yourself. I am sure you'll know which choice will make you happiest overall.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
This holier-than-thou expostulation was probably written by a taker (NT)who are you to judge so harshlyWednesday, October 10, 07:15:51am

If you reread what the original poster said, she did not get even a thanks from this other dressmaker. (NT)Clare IficationWednesday, October 10, 11:38:39am

I tend to agree. If you don't feel comfortable/content offering help without expecting anything in return, it's best to keep to yourself. It doesn't make you a bad person, it's just knowing yourself and taking care of your peace of mind first. I don't share much because it's hard for me to share graciously, but I think that's ok and respect people who find teaching to be its own reward (NT)to each their ownSunday, October 21, 04:06:48pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.