VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]

Celtic Flame Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Irish Dance Costumer's Message Board
Welcome to the message board for the designers and makers of Irish Dance Costumes, Irish Dancers of all ages, and others interested in Irish Dance. Please feel free to ask questions and give advice often! Check out the FAQ for these topics: Puffy Headband Instructions 4 & 5 Panel Dress Instructions and Poll Zipper Poll
FAQ Link

Subject: Hi, about to attempt a chiffon skirt. Was thinking four to five layers would suffice. Has anyone ever counted the layers on these skirts? Would prefer to cut all at once rather than add more after. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Author:
layers
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 28, 09:30:35am

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:

Subject: Does anyone have a source for a nice hot pink velvet? I have the sparkle satin in the neon pink, but the dancer thinks it's just too bright, and prefers the general idea of velvet better.

Author:
Terri E CO
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 07:22:08am

Replies:

Subject: Question about making a dress for a very full dancer

Author:
SNDM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 21, 02:28:33am

I'm going to make a dress for a dancer who is very full around the waist due to illness. We've decided on a good quality black velvet for the bodice and I want to back the velvet so it smoothes her lines. We are never going to make her look skinny, but we want to make it look smoother (she already wears Spanx under her schooldress). I was thinking of backing the velvet with a horsehair interfacing, but would that be too much? Any suggestions would be great. She's a very strong, promising dancer who deserves to look her best.

Replies:

Subject: DD's Gavin has gold flat-sewn sequin on netting applique. I'm thinking of changing out the skirt for a gold sequin skater style since we're not spending the $$ on a new dress this year. Anyone know where I could buy matching sequin

Author:
fabric for skirt? Thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 04:25:05pm

Replies:

Subject: Is there a pattern that can be suggestested for making a boys jacket? Waist length and military or mandarin type collar? I can modify any thing similar. Or do I have to make my own?

Author:
Thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 24, 01:32:15pm

Replies:

Subject: where would I find a vest template for drawing designs to show a customer?

Author:
drawing challenged
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 02:05:11pm

Subject: Tulle vs Net

Author:
Thank You
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 02:59:45pm

Almost ready to put together a sewn sequin dress. Looks great, so I want it to stay that way. Would you use Tulle or Net on the parts that rub up against each other or would catch a long wig? Would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you very much

Replies:

Subject: How much do you charge for altering the length on a 3 panel school dress?

Author:
trying to get a price
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 11:54:35pm

Replies:

Subject: adding length

Author:
broke mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 04:14:12pm

My dd has a performance dress that is velvet with a band of colored satin running inside the hem that gives color when she mooves. (The entire dress is not lined in the colored satin).
Unfortunately she has undergone a growth spurt and the dress is way too short. Is there anyone who can give me advice on how to add some length or something to the bottom to help the dress last for at least another 6 months? It seems that the velvet is just joined to the satin at the bottom and doesn't look like there is any let down room.

Replies:

Subject: lime green twinkle satin 1 or 2 yards please

Author:
srmaid
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 10, 09:56:34pm

Sr dancers new dress was sent with little girl size bloomers. I am looking for some lime green (neon green) twinkle satin (irridesent?) To make some bloomers that fit? Does anyone have any they are willing to sell or have a source?

Replies:

Subject: Slow forum lately. So...question: If we smdm ran the ID world of dressmaking, what would we like to see in the dresses we make? No guidelines, just what do you like? What do you miss? What are your favorites? What should be our goals (besides making a decent living)?

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 21, 01:21:34am

Replies:

Subject: Hello, I found a cute bobble I'd like to make a number clip holder out of. Can anyone tell what kind of glue is used to adhere these things to the holder? E600??

Author:
thank you for your time
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 08:42:53am

Replies:

Subject: Stunning Black Velvet & Gold Dress, would suit 10/12yrs...email inside... http://getthatdress.com/10813/dress-x10813/

Author:
mum
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 20, 08:34:51am

Subject: sequins?

Author:
--
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 03:23:28pm

Does anyone have an extra piece of this fabric?

http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/7177

Spandex world is out, and I'm a yard short. I can't find it anywhere!

Replies:

Subject: Dear Dressmakers, I have an opportunity to buy a used dress made by a non-local SNDM that my DD adores. But it is at least 2 inches to short, needs to be bigger in the hips, and needs some let out in the bodice as well. There seems to be lots of seam allowance but is this worth it? Do you think most dresses can handle this kind of alteration without throwing off the proportions?

Author:
Thanks-anxious mum
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 13, 03:52:01pm

I will take to local dressmaker but wanted to see what you guys thought as well. Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Hi. I am making a skirt similar to the attached pic, I am using polycotton lined twinkle satin, what would you use to give the skirt some body to stop it moving too much when dancing, Thanks! http://www.dance-again.com/PinkSilverGavinforsale.html

Author:
sd
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 14, 08:47:43am

Replies:

Subject: I am looking for advice on the skirt length. If you were constructing a skirt today, where would it end on the dancer? I know what the "rules" say, but how long would you actually make it?

Author:
Sorry if this is redundant, but I need advice. Thanks!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 09, 07:46:05am

Replies:

Subject: Going to put in a side zipper, does the boy get into his vest over the head then zips up the side? Do you need a certain size opening to assure this would work? Is it a problem ? I don't have the dd avail for fitting.

Author:
never did a vest side zip before
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 31, 12:13:29am

Replies:

Subject: Would anyone know of a supplier that sells black Microvelvet

Author:
desperate
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 06:23:40pm

Replies:

Subject: www.patkingmusic.com is now online!! See inside for details

Author:
Tara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 06, 07:00:19pm

All of the set dances were re-recorded in August 2012. All of Pats recording are on the site with new recordings coming in the next few weeks. Please check the site frequently.

Subject: siopa rince dress

Author:
Anna maire
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 02, 02:29:13am

lovely stage presence and in very good condition.
http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Galway/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/siopa-rince-dress/2313

Replies:

Subject: Skater style costume pattern

Author:
DM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 03, 07:38:14am

Can someone recommend a pattern or know where I can order a pattern for the skater style Irish dance costume? I like the simple flared skirt with the contrast of shiny material at the hem with the dropped waistline. Thanks.

Replies:

Subject: Fabric Question

Author:
Thanx!!!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 02, 09:32:23am

About to order some sewn-sequin fabrics. Just curious which one people prefer more to work with, the kind on a spandex backing, or the kind that is on mesh. I really appreciate your thoughts or suggestions!

Replies:

Subject: Ordering from White Lodge Fabric

Author:
Thank You
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 31, 06:46:49am

This question is for US Customers who have ordered from White Lodge Fabric in the UK. I love a few of their fabrics, but am sort of in a crunch with time. How long has it taken for you to receive your order once you place your order? Thanks so much for your replies.

Replies:

Subject: Is there anyone on this board in NE Ohio who has a serger and time for a simple Halloween-costume related project?

Author:
I would be happy to transport everything to you and pick up (serg-less)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 01, 03:14:17pm

Subject: When using twinkle satin, any preference between 100% cotton ans cotton poly blend for under layer? Going with navy twinkle, navy cotton/cotton poly under

Author:
Thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 31, 06:17:43pm

Replies:

Subject: I could scream

Author:
Your advice
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 03:29:29pm

I have just finished embroidering the front and back bodice for a client, who just e-mailed to say she doesn't like the design but didn't want to hurt my feelings. Before I had started working on it, the mom and dancer had both said they like it, and now, not the case at all. Obviously I want the dancer to be happy and confident in her new dress, but I am really frustrated that she held back on this until now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies:

Subject: just got asked to make a few young boys vests for a ceili team. Anyone know of a good pattern.

Author:
me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 27, 08:32:01pm

Replies:

Subject: I am looking for bright gold cotton velvet(closer to yellow than gold). I purchased some several years ago in NYC but cannot find anything online. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Author:
Mary
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 30, 01:31:15am

Replies:

Subject: Looking to source a fabric

Author:
looking
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 08:40:52am

Hi, I'm looking to source a white and what looks to be a silver shiny animal print fabric. I've seen it on a few dresses and would love to play around with it. I've attached a facebook link to a picture which only has it on the upper sleeves. Sorry, the other sites I've seen it on are sign in pages and only takes me to the login page when I try to activate the link.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2296065737890&set=a.2296063697839.63493.1736505831&type=1&theater

If anyone has any knowledge of this fabric in either North America or Europe, would be interested in checking it out. Thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Fabric Choice

Author:
Thank You
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 20, 09:35:19pm

I have been asked to make a dress using fishscale sewn sequin fabric for either the entire bodice, or bodice and sleeves. Would you put a matching tule or fine netting over everything? I remember seeing sequin dresses in the past, and the sleeves not wearing well. Trying to avoid that if at all possible. Would really appreciate advice you may have.

Replies:

Subject: Irish Dancing Dress suitable 8 to 11 year old Doire Designs

Author:
Martina
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 27, 07:36:57am

http://www.ontraz.ie/Ad/Cork/Irish-Dancing/Dresses/Irish-Dancing-Dress-suitable-8-to-11-year-old-Doire-Designs/2271

Subject: I am making a dress using the twinkle satin over a plain satin. Some pieces are bubbling and it looks terrible. Any suggestions on how to. Adhere the twinkle satin so it lays flat?

Author:
Frustrated
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 25, 11:39:33am

Replies:

Subject: Affordable Dressmakers

Author:
cheapmom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 16, 01:38:42pm

Please understand, I do not wish to say that Irish Dance dressmakers don't deserve to be paid well. Just having looked at dresses and talked with a few moms who have made dresses, you definitely deserve to charge a fair price for you.

That being said,

can anyone list off some dressmakers that charge less than $900 for a dress? (design would be supplied)

Replies:

Subject: Hi I am making my 1st dress & trying to do gathered or pleated skirt but just cannot get a pattern , I have cut out several templates but cannot get the skirt to be even right round , it needs to be about 6" at lowest peak of dropped waist & about 8" at back of skirt

Author:
I am a complete novice!!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 20, 03:33:36pm

Replies:

Subject: Hello -does anyone have a favorite pattern they use for mandarin collars. I have one I can adjust (like everything else) Just wondering if there is a better one.

Author:
thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 06:55:18am

Replies:

Subject: I'm considering purchasing a second hand, older model industrial sewing machine. I've read the archives on this site and have also done some online research. I'd like to hear some insight from those who use these machines to make ID costumes and what features you think are essential. Brand names, model numbers, do I need straight and zig zag stitches? I apologize in advance if this topic has been exhausted, just hoping for some opinions.

Author:
indsew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 10, 11:56:26pm

Replies:

Subject: Hoping a DM would be willing to please do me a favor.

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 18, 11:52:16am

I am interested in a used dress for my daughter. I found one, but it is quite a bit too big through the bodice. Would someone be able to look at the dress vs. my daughter's measurements to see if you think it would be doable? My email is above, and I could post measurements here if you would be willing. I can't tell you how much I would appreciate you taking a few minutes to look.

Replies:

Subject: Hi could anyone please tell me which colour swarovski crystal would best match a hot/neon pink, already have the clear crystals in place and just need to get some for the center of the hardshoe buckles, and am unsure which tone of pink to order.

Author:
crystal search
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 18, 10:24:49am

Replies:

Subject: Twinkle Satin is now available at Action Fabrics in IL. Pam has a lot of colors.

Author:
dressmaker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 02:42:32pm

Replies:

Subject: I have been communicating with a lady that has been taken..

Author:
What is going on?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 07:12:49am

She paid to have a dress made, and never got it. She said it happend to others as well. This is not good to hear, and disturbing. If that person reads this, I hope you deliver the dresses or the money. Stealing is not right. If something happend to this dm it should be posted. I dont get it.

Replies:

Subject: I'm looking for Gold Metallic Silk -- Whitelodge is out of the one I usually get. Does anyone have any other sources?? thanks

Author:
AT
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 16, 12:53:38pm

Replies:

Subject: Janome Memory Craft 350E

Author:
shopper
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 11, 12:35:54am

Hello - has anyone used the Janome Memory Craft 350E for Irish dancing dress embroidery? I'm looking at getting one but not sure if it's the right thing to get... a bit lost on embroidery machines!

Replies:

Subject: One fabric bleeding onto another?

Author:
Concerned Dress-owner
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 11:37:15am

My dress has a white velvet bodice and bright green sleeves. I've only worn the dress a few times and the green is starting to rub off onto the white. I've started storing the dress with a t-shirt between the sleeves and bodice, but I would like your advice with a couple things: How do I remove the green that's rubbed off onto the white velvet? How can I prevent the green from rubbing off while I dance?

Thank you!!!

Replies:

Subject: I'm looking for an estimate of how much fabric I need for a 5' 7" size 2 dancer. Top of bodice and sleeves one color. Torso another color. Skirt will be box pleat in sleeve color. I know I have to allow for nap if velvet. Would rather purchase too much than too little.

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 08:11:56pm

Replies:

Subject: I am looking for blank shoe buckles. Please e-mail me if you know where I can look for them

Author:
Rosemarie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 08:07:02pm

Wanting to try something new but I don't know if you have to have a specific shoe buckle. I'm noticing the buckles are getting attached to elastic now. Which I can do. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated. It for the local southern california feis's.

Subject: What is the difference between using organza or chiffon for a skirt. Are they white flowy skirts from Gavin made of chiffon? Which of these is more durable or are they about the same? Thanks for any help.

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 08:22:51am

Replies:

Subject: I'm begining to see more & more dresses that look "similar" with the BN dress makers. What defines copying a dress?

Author:
Must it be exact?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 13, 07:46:43am

Replies:

Subject: making a dress with the new stand up collar. Have never made on before. Any helpful hints or pattern for this

Author:
me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 08:05:18am

Subject: Applique using heavily sequinned fabric - looking at live comm of BN's and wondering if the design on the front of Brogans dress is appliqed on - would this be very difficult to work with ?

Author:
Relatively newbie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 26, 05:06:03pm

Replies:

Subject: Is it crystal organza that is laid over fabric that gives it a nice sheen. I need something stronger than regular organza.

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 11, 05:48:49pm

Replies:

Subject: Good morning....looking to find out if Kira (Kirations) is OK. There are posts on the Mid-America message board and dance.net from a couple folks who are looking for their dresses, and have had no response from her in over a month (one from overseas). If any of you have a more direct way to contact her, please let her know that there are concerned customers looking to hear from her. Thanks!

Author:
~Kris
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 30, 08:56:24am

Replies:

Subject: Bodice options for large embroidery machines?

Author:
advice
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 09, 09:25:06am

Looking for advice on the best option for embroidering a bodice with a bust. The bust measurement is 34 and I'm wondering if I'd be best to do a three panel bodice, side darts under the bust or two darts up the front? Also assume the embroidery will cover the upper chest and down the center.

With many of you being experienced dress makers, what bodice option have you found easiest to work with when embroidering?

Thank you

Replies:

Subject: Serger woes...sigh...are all sergers so persnickity? Mine was not cheap, is about 3 yrs old, and was just serviced last week. The needle threads keep breaking and it is driving me crazy! I'm trying to do a nice serged colored edge for ruffles. I have changed the needles, changed the thread, rethreaded it several times, and can't seem to get it to run reliably enough to make the very last ruffle! I'm going to call the repair shop tomorrow, but until then, does anyone have any ideas?

Author:
frustrated!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 06, 09:24:15pm

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone have the link to The Junk Lady? I lost my shortcut.

Author:
Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 04, 08:37:25pm

Replies:

Subject: Mens vests

Author:
dressmaker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 02, 07:51:44am

I am needing to make a vest with a side zipper so that there is no buttons/zippers on the front of the vest. I have been looking for patterns but no such luck. Does anyone know of a pattern that would work for me?

Replies:

Subject: Crystals for a dress...

Author:
Suzanne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 02, 07:40:02pm

I am purchasing crystals for a dress, and have found most of what I need at Dreamtime Creations, but they don't seem to have the Pear Shaped AB Crystal that I want.

Do any of you know where I can find Pear Shaped AB Crystal Flatbacks that are between 20-25mm long? I can only seem to find small ones (10 mm long) and huge ones (40mm).

Any help is greatly apprecitated!

Thank you!

Replies:

Subject: Dress Designs

Author:
designer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 30, 06:48:03pm

Hi all!

I have quite a large portfolio of dress designs that I would love to see turned into actual dresses. Does anyone think there is a market for this? They wouldn't be expensive, maybe range from $20-$50 depending on how complicated the design is (some of them are REALLY intricate). Are there any dressmakers out there who would find this kind of service helpful?

thanks!

Replies:

Subject: Does anyone have experience using Craft Artist when designing dresses?

Author:
Tips please...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 01:56:07pm

Replies:

Subject: Are you a seamstress or a dress designer? Feis411.com is compiling a list. Email info incl your location to feis411@optonline.net

Author:
Feis411.com
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 27, 08:37:34am

Replies:

Subject: does anyone have a maker and color # for a great bright-hot-barbie pink embroidery thread? can't have orange in it...

Author:
thanks--sndm
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 10:03:23am

Replies:

Subject: Crafty Treble Maker

Author:
CraftyTrebleMaker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 30, 09:20:10am

Crafty Treble Maker, provides hand made personalised cards for all occassions related to the irish dancing world!

Please support our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CraftyTrebleMakers

it would be much appreciated if you could share our work to your friends aswell!

thanks for your time,

Crafty Treble Maker

Subject: Opinons please (inside)

Author:
Thank you
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 04:31:47pm

Sent an off-the-rack dress to buyer. Accepted a reduced price and agreed to pay shipping. Didn't fit (not surprised) so it's coming back. Now the dress is coming back should I still be on the hook for the shipping? If it had sold I would have looked at it as just being part of selling the dress at a lower price, but if I refund the full amount I'm out the shipping costs and still haven't sold the dress. Can see it both ways so would appreciate unbiased views.

Replies:

Subject: computer died---reformatted--now forte wont install--thinking of going with new computer new emb software---any suggestions??

Author:
thank you!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 29, 08:26:07am

Subject: Just a wee query - I have a small home embroidery machine - and am still learning - how do I stop getting the 'hoop' mark round my fabric Most is fine but velour is awful-

Author:
I just do names and pumps on my kids dancing clothes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 04:39:10am

Replies:

Subject: Washable solo dress question

Author:
LynnToledo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 23, 03:08:00pm

After dancing with the symphony outdoors last night in 95 degrees, I'm thinking that I'd like to make something that I can rinse. I have 3 more summer performances at the AOH Irish Festival in August.

I dance with the kids so the dress needs to look like a solo dress. Maybe a bolero dress with a soft skirt, minimal embroidery and a few stones. I have various poly-satins and crepes with some shine. I know some sequins don't run when wet. Do stones glued on with E6000 hold when wet? Am I crazy do all this work for a dance out costume?

Replies:

Subject: Stretch Sequin fabric?

Author:
Katie (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 27, 01:40:41pm

I've been looking at fabrics online for a sequined one, and I have noticed that majority of them are stretchy. Do people use stretchy knit like fabrics in solo costumes?

Replies:

Subject: Supplies?

Author:
Latrisha (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 03:02:47pm

I am interested in attempting to make a solo costume and was wondering good places I can look for fabric. (websites?) there is a Joanns nearby but I am not the biggest fan of the place, also where can I get other supplies like stiffener?

Thanks!

Replies:

Main index ] [ Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]
Create FREE graphics at FlamingText.com
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.