VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07/ 7/11 10:22pm
Author: gumtree
Subject: I know that this may not be the most interesting post for some....*click* if you're interested in what's going on in Congress regarding the debt ceiling.

I think the White House is playing a very good game - if a little dangerous. They've come out today with what has been interpreted by some as suggesting cuts to Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid may be necessary in compromise with House Republicans in order to do the proper thing, close tax loopholes for corporations and the wealthiest 1%.

The game? Getting enough people riled up and upset to make it clear to Republicans that the nation is against the idea of cutting Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid. Just to give you a picture - eliminating the loophole that allows twenty five (really, 25) Hedge fund traders declaring their income as capital gains (rather than taxable as income) would raise revenues for the Federal Government by $4 BILLION a year. Imagine what we could do if we just stopped subsidizing oil companies....

Social Security is not a significant contributor to our Federal debt. Now, two wars in the space of ten years....

I'll stop now - don't want to give Amy a headache. ;)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Oh - guess you don't need to *click*.... -- gumtree, 07/ 7/11 10:24pm

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Thanks for posting, Gumtree. I always find your posts interesting. -- Cheesy (checkmate), 07/ 8/11 8:28am

[ Edit | View ]

[> question for you, Gumtree: (click) -- Cheesy, 07/14/11 8:54am

Are there any message boards/forums where the debt ceiling and other national/international issues are discussed in a rational manner? I'd be greatful for any links.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> second click -- C, 07/14/11 10:37am

Grateful, even

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Yes *click* -- Gumtree, 07/27/11 9:29pm

http://politicalhardball.com/forums/forum.php

Best political board around, as far as I know - no screaming, no complete idiots, and only a few wingnuts. Good people.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Thank you very much, just what I was looking for!! -- Cheesy, 07/28/11 10:47am

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Have you joined? -- gumtree, 08/13/11 11:04am

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Not yet, but I've been reading it quite often and also passed the link along to a work friend. How is Red doing? -- Linda (aka Cheesy), 08/13/11 12:32pm

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> pretty good - determined as ever -- gumtree, 08/16/11 10:16pm

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.