VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:46:10 09/14/17 Thu
Author: Graeme Cree
Author Host/IP: ps3mwgproxy04-dmz.us.dell.com / 143.166.226.114
Subject: The Recurring Characters

I'm curious about the recurring characters, and why they were used, dropped, or added in the first place. I'm going to go through the list, and maybe people can add some comments to these:

THE PIGEON SISTERS
What was it about these two that didn't click. They were brought in as a link to the movie, and then gone after only four appearances? Did they run out of things to do with them (insert lewd comment here), or was it a problem that you had to get both of them in order to use either one in a story? Was there something wrong with the characters, or had they just run their course?

THE POKER CROWD (excluding Murray)
The other big tie in to the movie was the Poker crowd, and they're one of the reasons why Season 1 is probably my favorite. The Poker stories were always memorable. Roy was maybe the most expendable, but it's a real shame that they didn't find more use for Speed.

NANCY CUNNINGHAM
I really don't know what they were thinking adding her. The whole show is Felix and Oscar, why give Oscar a regular girlfriend? I suppose it was so that Oscar could have a confidante to complain about Felix TO. I guess that sort of makes sense, but if it does, why was she gone so quickly? Joan Hotchkis seemed to do really well in the role, so it wasn't her.

MIRIAM
In the same vein, what was the idea behind giving Felix a steady girlfriend? His whole raison d'atre is to get back together with Gloria, and Miriam really cuts into that. What did she really bring to the show?

MYRNA
Okay, I get that she got the job for being the Producer's sister. And she was a good character in her own right. On the other hand, she's kind of a sideshow to the main attraction of Felix vs. Oscar. I get the feeling she might have been slightly overused, and would have done better in a show of her own, maybe with another single girl, where they could sing songs on city streets and work in a brewery or something.

THE EX-WIVES
No complaints here. You can have Gloria and Blanche be unseen characters in a movie, maybe even for the first season of a show. But if you go on longer, they really should turn up once in a while. Neither one was overused, and both were the subject of some good stories.

LEONARD AND EDNA
On the other hand, I never liked Felix's kids. I don't mean the actors, I mean I never liked the idea of Felix HAVING kids at all, when they're such an unimportant part of his life. It makes him look like a not very good father. Especially in that episode where he signs up in the Big Brother program and has Clint Howard over for afternoons. Spend more time with your own kids, whydoncha?

PHILIP
Not a bad character, and hardly overused. It's sort of funny to have a bratty kid living next door. In a show about apartment life, the neighbors should be a presence. I assume he was gone so quickly either because they couldn't get Chris Shea back, or they just ran out of things to do with him.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.