VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]56 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:18:06 07/06/13 Sat
Author: O'Really
Subject: Re: WQED's "Great TV Auction"
In reply to: Oldies Dave 's message, "WQED's "Great TV Auction"" on 01:25:11 07/06/13 Sat

I really enjoyed the auction and would just get caught up in watching it hour after hour. It was it was broadcast live over a period of about a week, it seemed. Actually, I purchased a few items over the years.
But, getting back to the auction. Again, many hours of live programing and adlibbing as different areas featured sale items. The 'quicky' board did feature a lot of tickets and passes and coupons for various events and servics. I liked when the "Flying Zucchini Brothers" appeared to break up the evening. I think I had a crush on Mary Sweeney at that time, as well.
I guess they discovered the many pledge "breaks" are easier and cheaper ways to get money than the old auction.

I have always been fascinated with live tv and grew up watching WQED. I can remember as a kid going to the Allegheny County Fair and watching them broadcast live over the five days. They did this for a number of years and it was fun to see how each year the technology changed. One memory I have is of watching Fred Rogers and Josie Carrey doing the Childrens Corner Show from down in the old Museum Building at the fairgrounds. There is a small stage still there (building is rented out for parties, etc) and Fred was behind the set pushing his hand out the holes for X the Owl and Daniel etc. I rember it being painted just grey and black since it was all B&W tv. I can still remember Fred smiling at me from behind the set while working King Friday. The county eventually had a building constructed for them to use as a control room. It was on the midway at the top of the bleachers in the stadium. They did interviews outside of it and had cameras on top to televise the entire evening show including the fireworks each day. It seemed they pretty much had wall to wall coverage with a mobile truck going to the exhibit halls and so forth. They pretty much were on the air from the fair from around noon till the 10:00 fireworks.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.