VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]6 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:28:30 10/10/12 Wed
Author: Ray Hoffman
Subject: Re: How Cordic took Bob Trow to California
In reply to: JM 's message, "Re: How Cordic took Bob Trow to California" on 00:47:44 10/06/12 Sat

I've never heard any of the KNX material either, with the possible exception of a few routines that may have aired on the Sunday WTAE program. Two of Rege's KNX cast members, Paul Winchell (the ventriloquist) and Joan Ellen Gerber did appear on the 'TAE show; Gerber in one recurring role as 'Goldie Triangle' reporting on Pittsburghers living in the west.

And, in addition to many of the old KDKA drop-ins (like the tape of Pat Buttram saying "he sure did die a hard death there"), Rege also used a few new drop-ins that came from his time at KNX. Clearly, though, there wasn't very much in the way of "new" content during his brief time on 'TAE.

In the early '80s, when I first visited Rege's railroad layout in his home in the Hollywood Hills. I noticed a number of acetate transcription discs with KNX labels. I asked him about them and he said they were indeed the routines that none of us have heard...and he was not eager to play them! One of the discs, I recall, was covered with little beads of flux, as a soldering gun was resting on it.

And one more note: After Rege left town, I persuaded my Aunt Gladys to buy me a Blaupunkt shortwave console radio for Christmas, as I was certain I would be able to could pull in KNX with such a sophisticated machine. I didn't know much about radio , did I?

--Ray Hoffman
WCBS Newsradio 880, New York

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.