VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:52:31 12/07/11 Wed
Author: O'Reallly
Subject: KD in the Windows

I fondly remember listening to the KD broadcasts from the windows of the three major department stores downtown. I seem to recall that they rotated which store, Kaufmann's, Gimbal's and Horne's would be first and last during the three weeks of the campaign. Probably not what experts would call 'great radio', but it was entertaining to be at home and listen to the folks shopping or the workers on the way or during lunch or on way home each day. I would bet shut-ins loved this chance to get 'dawntown'. It was just one more way to know that Christmas was coming and usually the last week in the windows is when the schools would send a group of students down to deliver money collected. Often times they were accompanied by the school band or choir to add to the event. Just hearing the hosts talk to the people out on the street and sound of streetcar or buses in the background took you there. And, of course, the farkleberry cookies :)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.