VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 00:11:00 02/04/12 Sat
Author: JM
Subject: Re: Uncle Dougie
In reply to: O'Really 's message, "Re: Uncle Dougie" on 20:02:12 01/30/12 Mon

Hoerth lasted 27 years, which says something.

For most of his career, he was counter-programming to KDKA, starting with his first stop in town, WWSW. They wanted him to tackle pop culture and the other topics that KDKA didn't touch. When he was on top of his game, he was outstanding. He did his homework and did great interviews. He had a joy in being on the radio that a lot of people don't have -- and that's understandable, given the nature of the business.

I never thought much of the "hot talk" style they had him doing on WTAE for a time, and I never thought the Doug and Laurence combination was as funny or compelling as Doug thought it was. But that's just a matter of preference.

His last years on 1360, I thought, had a quality of melancholy. He was on a weak station that couldn't draw a lot of listeners, so he knew it was doomed at some point. When I'd listen, I'd hear him doing the same Godfather bits, telling the same stories. It almost felt like he'd given up and was waiting for the word that it was over.

I don't know that his style of broadcasting was ever going to draw huge numbers because it was more quirky than mainstream. But the fans he had were loyal and followed him, even when they had to patiently pull the signal out of the static.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.