VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Penn Offense

Author:
PennLB
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:15:49 11/08/16 Tue

With the talent we have on offense how does this crew continue to underwhelm this season. A shutout against an average Princeton D? I think all will agree the strength of the Tigers is on the Offensive side.

It will be interesting to see if Priore can regroup the troops for H. Harvard has historically underachieved here in Philly so on paper you would expect Penn to be favored.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Penn Offense

Author:
Tiger81
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:27:55 11/08/16 Tue

Princeton's D has not been average this year: they have given up 50 points in Ivy play vs. 83 for Penn and 97 for Harvard, and Princeton has played both of those teams, which are tied for #2 after the Tigers in points scored.

Harvard is the only Ivy team to score more than 13 points against Princeton and they managed just 17 in regulation.

With all of that said, I'm hoping that Torgersen, Watson and Solomon, who were never able to get in rhythm against the Tigers, give the Crimson fits on Friday night.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
CU_88
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:56:25 11/08/16 Tue

Columbia was able to score 2 TDs on offense against the Crimson and could have won if they stopped making turnovers. Penn should be able to score more against the Crimson. The Crimson are beatable (but just not by Yale).

[> [> Subject: Re: Penn Offense

Author:
Al's Wingman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:29:52 11/08/16 Tue

That's a pipe dream sir. Granted, Harvard was not in top form that game but the CU offense is quite bad. They have some skilled players but the execution is mostly horrendous. As soon as they move past their QB problem this situation should improve.

Author:
PennLB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:39:46 11/08/16 Tue

I would bet Princeton's Pass Defense is at best middle of League even without checking. So to shutout the best QB / WR combo in the league is either impressive on Tigers part or extremely perplexing on the Quakers half.

And really this whole season Penn has underachieved with the offensive talent they have.

Is it Torgerson's injuries or stagnant game plans?

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:09:47 11/08/16 Tue

Statistically speaking, PU's pass defense is #6 but only 8 yards per game worse than Harvard (#4). Plus, when you have the significantly best running defense (again, statistically), an offense that has generally out-possessed opppnents, and have been ahead most of the games, you expect opponents to be passing more than usual.

Every ivy team they have played has a lower yds/attempt and yards/completion against PU than their season average (disclaimer - did not adjust for OOC or OT games), sole exception being Columbia yds/ attempt.

Having pointed this out, I will venture that most PU fans still hold their breath when facing a good passing game.

Author:
Penn Pop
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:13:23 11/08/16 Tue

I'm just going to chalk up the Penn performance against PU as a day when Penn just didn't have it. I don't think you will see that type of performance this week against Harvard and looking for Penn to win a close one Friday night (21-17).

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:06:08 11/08/16 Tue

The Princeton D line is very likely the best in the league, and the front seven is certainly the deepest.

Combine that with a singularly uncreative Penn game plan and no adjustments, and you get not even a FGA.

Author:
Acob (Help from Brown)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:42:28 11/10/16 Thu

Princeton may well have seen important clues from Brown second half shutout of Penn. Credit PU D staff for expanding on this. PU D is pretty good and seems game plan focused.

[> [> Subject: Princeton D

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:29 11/10/16 Thu

is led by "You don't mess with the" Rohan Hylton

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton D

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:11:11 11/10/16 Thu

Brother of campus radical "Comrade" Hylton

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton D

Author:
Calvin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:54:51 11/10/16 Thu

Just like everyone else, they'll always have Paris.

Author:
jerrly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:45 11/10/16 Thu

In my opinion, the Princeton pass defense is markedly improved this year. In the last two years, receivers were completely wide open. Not so this year. I think that the whole scheme has changed.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Penn Offense

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:49:33 11/10/16 Thu

The prep has also been notable. Their INT against Torgerson that closed down the Penn game was clearly something they'd seen on film; there were two DBs ready to step in front of the receiver as soon as the pass was released.

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:10 11/10/16 Thu

Princeton was better on both sides of the ball. Having said that, I agree that the play calling was questionable. Down 21 points with 12 minutes left Penn was still trying to run the ball. Additionally several of the 4th down pass patterns didn't take advantage of the soft spots in Princeton's very effective defense. We were predictable and they were prepared

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:15:57 11/10/16 Thu

There is more pressure up front this year. A boost for our secondary.

I was wondering what the story is about the Penn offense -- shut out for 6 straight quarters. I did not remotely expect that, even with the P defense rising to the occasion.

I don't know if this portends a Penn offensive outburst Friday night as I hope, or if something else is going on re that offense. Princeton needs to avoid a letdown and stay focused in a game at Yale we should win. One upset this week is enough. It is the first of two games that could salvage Yale's disappointing season.

Author:
The Play Calling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:40:20 11/11/16 Fri

You could see it coming at home vs Brown as Penn was lucky to hold on but the play calling these last two games has been unimaginative to say the least. You absolutely MUST take some shots down field and if they fail to do that again it will be a long night.

Author:
AsiaSunset
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:47:40 11/11/16 Fri

Agreed - and since everyone knows Watson gets the first look from Alek, Penn needs to utilize the TE and other options on 4th and 4. If I knew what was coming, one had to assume Princeton did as well. They did and we got what we deserved.

Author:
Quakers03
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:33:20 11/11/16 Fri

I just don't understand why he has gone so conservative. It wasn't that way early in the season. Did they have o-lineman go down and so he's worried about pocket time? I just don't get it. As you said, there are some other weapons beside JWat that you can take a shot with. I think they tried it once to Countryman last game, but that was it.

Author:
Quakers03
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:01:13 11/11/16 Fri

It's getting worse!! This is unwatchable. Third and 1 is when he finally decides to go over the middle?!?! 8 quarters of 0 points and counting.

Author:
foehi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:55:56 11/11/16 Fri

the issue is up front. They can't protect Torgerson. He has to scramble on every play. They are steps slower than the Harvard D line.

Author:
Quakers03
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:40:56 11/11/16 Fri

Didn't seem to be an issue the first half vs Brown. Since then? Just as bad as it gets. Why are they so afraid to throw over the middle?! This is so unfair to the d.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Penn Offense

Author:
Penn 7277
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:20:17 11/11/16 Fri

Two touchdowns in 15 seconds to end the game. You're welcome Princeton.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Penn Offense

Author:
Quakers03
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:06:31 11/12/16 Sat

Amazing what can happen when you look to your best player over the middle of the field...That last d score with Harvard streaming off the field through the celebration was just so sweet.

But I'd be lying if I didn't feel a bit of sadness about also helping Princeton. Now to finish the job and send our QB into the draft on a high note. Congrats to him on the record. Pretty cool to see after all the time I've spent sitting on those cold bleachers the last 4 decades.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Penn Offense

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:09:05 11/12/16 Sat

Don't think of tonight's outcome as helping Princeton. Think of Harvard as helping you. If Y-P and next week's games play out according to chalk, you might be co-champions with a team that beat you by 28.

And if Yale suddenly gets our act together, maybe you'll be outright champion. Then you can thank us.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.