VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Princeton-Yale

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 11:11:41 11/11/16 Fri

http://sportzedge.com/2016/11/10/yales-former-football-coach-carmen-cozza-recalls-his-players-wanted-most-to-defeat-princeton-and-surprisingly-not-harvard/

As someone who remembers Iacavazzi tossing the ball into the stands in '64, I remember when Princeton was the team we all wanted to beat.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Princeton-Yale

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:13:19 11/11/16 Fri

For years, the Yale game notes noted that, at least among Old Blues, this was the case -- the P game being a bigger one than H. The rivalry took a big hit when P lost a stupefying 14 straight (Cozza still thinks Y only lost in 1981 due to a bad PI call, although I think it was a good call). This year's notes do not seem to reflect that same sentiment.

No love lost here. When they used to scrimmage, they would scuffle, and I have seen games end the same way.

The previous League Ex Director told me the day before one P-Y game that the refs are specifically instructed to keep the game under control. In one, under Tom Williams, some Y players came over to the P side of pre-game warms-ups to taunt the P players; when the captains went out for the coin toss, both benches emptied to mid-field and the refs barely maintained order. And this was before the opening kickoff. On that kickoff, a Y players was ejected. Wild.

I am guessing that Y will add new looks/wrinkles on offense to get the P defense off balance. I am guessing P will blitz and bring extra pressure to try and rattle the young QB. It has been a down season for Yale, and an upset over an old rival who will still be in co-title contention even if H wins the night before will be one way to sweeten the season for Old Eli. I prefer a Y loss tomorrow and Y win the following weekend. Cheers.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Yale

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:17:03 11/11/16 Fri

And to think this can be true when there's not even one trophy, let alone two.

[> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Yale 1981

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:01:25 11/11/16 Fri

It wasn't the pass interference call that cost Yale the game, although I was in that end of the stadium and did think it was a bad call.

But Princeton was going to score anyway. They could have called that an incomplete pass, but there was still time on the clock and Yale had not stopped Holly and Graham the whole 2nd half.

Yale biggest mistake in my opinion was not giving the ball to Diana on 4th and 2 at the Princeton 20 with about 2 minutes left. If they got the first down, the game was over. Instead, Cozza opted for a FG attempt which would have only put Yale up by 6.

The way the Princeton offense was playing, and the Yale defense as well, everyone, except Cozza, knew they were going right down the field for a TD.

Diana had over 200 yards rushing, so give him the ball. Even if he didn't make it, at least go down with your best.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Yale 1981

Author:
An Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:40:25 11/11/16 Fri

You gotta dance with the girl you brought to the dance and her name was Diana.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Yale 1981

Author:
Bengal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:22:37 11/11/16 Fri

I prefer Holly.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:59 11/11/16 Fri

If the Yale defensive backfield lives up to its previous numbers against two capable Tiger passers, Eli will have a lot of trouble getting the ball in decent field position to do anything on offense. Despite the significant advantages of having nothing to lose and playing at home, for Eli it's a disastrous matchup on paper. And if Princeton didn't let up against Columbia, Brown, Cornell and Penn, they're not going to do it tomorrow.

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:47:23 11/12/16 Sat

Isn't this the way the Brown game started. A long TD run?

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:19:35 11/12/16 Sat

embarrassing......again

[> [> Subject: Sacks

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:32 11/12/16 Sat

Has Rawlings been sacked at least once on every Yale "drive"?

And I use the term "drive" loosely.

[> [> Subject: Another long pass completion

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:40:24 11/12/16 Sat

48 yards. There's a shock

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Another long pass completion

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:45:55 11/12/16 Sat

But let's be fair to the Yale D, they played their hearts out in the first half until that. The offense, however, is frighteningly bad, and if the Tigers keep their starting defensive rotation in for the whole second half, the Eli yards per play might dip below two (as in 2.0).

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Another long pass completion

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:55:56 11/12/16 Sat

Eli 17 carries in the first half for.... ONE yard.

Tigers 18 carries for 98 yards.

Only straw for Yale to grasp at is they get the ball to start the second half; Princeton has been coming out of the locker room and blowing people away the last few weeks. Perry's halftime adjustments always seem spot on.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Another long pass completion

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:00:37 11/12/16 Sat

A little misleading since it includes 35 yards in sack losses. Their primary RB is averaging 4 YPC.

[> [> [> Subject: It's the sacks

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:03:00 11/12/16 Sat

The running backs have put up positive numbers. Rawlings, however, can't seem to feel the pressure and get rid of the ball.

Which happens to freshmen.

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:01 11/12/16 Sat

Princeton isn't even playing particularly well.

By the way. Is there a rule that if Yale has a positive play, like a 9 or 10 yard run or a 15 yard completion, the next play MUST lose yardage?

[> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Yale

Author:
sparman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:05 11/12/16 Sat

Yes, Tigers have left some plays on the field (or whatever that cliche is). But that is the stuff from which upsets can spring, and 14 points is not an insurmountable lead.

[> Subject: Borderline pass interference call

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:52:11 11/12/16 Sat

that should end any chance for this game to be competitive.

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:54:37 11/12/16 Sat

Yale 2 of 14 on 3rd down. I think it was pretty close to the same last week.

Author:
joiseyfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:58:31 11/12/16 Sat

Surace goes for it on fourth and two from the 19 instead of kicking the FG, and that'll be it. 24-3.

Yale D really playing well, just no hope on offense.

[> Subject: Yale QB

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:02:10 11/12/16 Sat

I know that none of the Yale QB's have played well, but why is Reno sticking with Rawlings longer than he did Moore or Chapple?

A little bit of a mixup in styles may have helped. At least a bit.

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale QB

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:23 11/12/16 Sat

Isn't changing qbs how this awful season started?

[> [> [> Subject: Yale attendance actual 4500!! Fire Reno

Author:
FormerYale Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:52:26 11/12/16 Sat

[> [> Subject: Re: Yale QB

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:22:47 11/12/16 Sat

Changing to Moore got a win against Dartmouth and changing to Rawlings got a win against Columbia.

Of course, there were other factors such as those two teams handing us those games, but I still don't know why Reno has gone exclusively with Rawlings. The kid could have his confidence ruined permanently.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yale QB

Author:
remember it well
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:55:06 11/12/16 Sat

I think Rawlings is going to prove himself in the years ahead. He was about as capable a freshman qb as Yale could muster given less than superb pass protection, and essentially relying on only one reliable wr - Klubnick who can become a star wr for Yale unless he goes down with injuries the way most Yale receivers do. The "confidence" factor is a difficult call - one could argue that by keeping him in regardless of freshman mistakes a young and talented player might be inspired by the coach's confidence in him. Yale's offense was essentially made up of three freshmen Rawlings, Lamar, and Klubnick. In the old days Yale fans could look forward to their progression towards All Ivy senior seasons - under Reno who knows. This is the year Yale brought freshmen football back to the Ivys - only problem they were playing against teams that didn't have to do that.
Bottom line I view this terrible season as having magnified all the weaknesses in the coaching staff. It up to Beckett now to remedy the situation.
By the way, Lamar looked dazed after his late in the game injury. Hope he's ok but with Yale's injury record he will more than likely not be playing in "The Game."

[> Subject: Princeton-Yale game - official attendance:

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:05:16 11/12/16 Sat

15, 321

[> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Yale game - official attendance:

Author:
voy vey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:38:01 11/12/16 Sat

Not even close to reality.
Unsure how many were there in the first half, but early in Q3 there were about 6,000 in the seats. My guesstimate for actual attendance is in the 8-9,000 range.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Princeton-Yale game - official attendance:

Author:
Ricks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:52:58 11/13/16 Sun

November 11th - a day which will live in memory-sad though it was-was the 77th anniversary of my first game at Yale Bowl, a defeat by Princeton, 13 to 7. In those days, the Bowls seats were a dull gray color. The scoreboard was white with slots for the metallic plates were slid into place by attendants who were given signals as to down and distance by a jolly older gent wearing a white sweater with stripes on the sleeves. The players not in the game sat on small wooden bleachers next to the tunnels, and dare they not leave unless called in to substitute by the coach. The officials wore knickers, but wore no microphones. Gentlemen fans wore overcoats over suit and tie, and grey felt hats Ladies wore fur coats (real or faux). The event was much shows of style as it was spectacle. Yale lost to the Tigers, 13 to 7, but defeated Harvard, 20 to 7, thus saving "Ducky" Pond's job as head coach for one more year.
Can the Bulldogs upset the Cantabs next week and perhaps save Reno's job for a final shot? Quien sabe?

[> [> [> [> Subject: i doubt it

Author:
holtsledge
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:41:47 11/13/16 Sun

Harvard is playing for the title, Yale isn't playing for anything other than to save the coach's job and according to many on this board they have already thrown in the towel. Although I am sure there are many players playing for pride, I wonder if Hines will make a cameo appearance.

Harvard is just more talented plus playing at home, I think this is a 2 td game in favor of Harvard but what do I know other than if Dartmouth doesn't upset Princeton next Sat I will be writing a 100 dollar check to the Columbia Friends of Football. I think I should at least get a brief meet and greet with the "Little Sicilian" if I do.

Author:
TigerFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:39:24 11/13/16 Sun

Second half there were more Princeton fans than Yale fans. Of course, by that point all undergrads had left the game to seek safe space.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.