VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yet another close Dartmouth loss

Author:
Go Green
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:12:33 11/12/16 Sat
In reply to: Go Green 's message, "Brown making plays" on 13:26:26 11/12/16 Sat

Congrats to Brown. They made the plays.

We didn't.

Two potential pick six interceptions dropped.

Getting bogged down half a dozen times in Brown territory.

I don't care what Heneghan's stats were today, he didn't play well.

Our receivers had their best game. I don't think there were any bad drops.

Very, very frustrating season. This team is better than its record. Hopefully we can put it all together against Princeton next week.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Re: Yet another close Dartmouth loss

Author:
bulldog10jw
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:29:19 11/12/16 Sat

Haven't most Dartmouth games this year, including the wins, been close?

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Yet another close Dartmouth loss

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:52:33 11/12/16 Sat

Dartmouth's games against Penn and Holy Cross were not close.

The others went down to the wire. Again, the optimist will take heart that we're bringing most of the team back for 2017. Just being a year older will move the needle by itself, and four close losses will become four wins.

[> [> Subject: Re: Brown Kicker

Author:
JBears
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:34:21 11/12/16 Sat

What a difference a kicker makes? We struggled to make PATs until last week. Today 3 PATs and a 50-plus yard FG which turned out to be the winning kick. I was going to mention last week that I hadn't seen as strong a kicker since Jose Violanre in the early to mid 70's. But that seemed perhaps to strong a claim after seeing him once. However, the tragectory of Rosenblatt's kicks, as well as easily reaching the end-zone against the wind were impressive. And today he tops Vilantes' longest FG by one yard with a 52 YD effort. A great addition to the team.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Brown Kicker

Author:
Grin and Bear it (Even)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:56:03 11/12/16 Sat

Dartmouth was a 10 point favorite, but I never thought that those odds were accurate. I thought the teams were pretty even and that is the way it turned out. Despite the loss, I was impressed by Dartmouth. GG is right, they are better than their record. Furthermore, they have some excellent young talent, the receiver and the RB, both among the league's best. They will be a strong factor moving forward and might even upset Princeton next week. The first half was the best Brown has played this year. The second half Brown went conservative and didn't do much of anything. The Brown running game has gotten better as the year has progressed. Linta is now starting to hit his receivers. Linta? I am still not sure what to think. But one thing is for certain, he is improving with every game. He can throw as well as anyone and is beginning to show mobility. He also does something very well, i.e when hit hard he doesn't fumble. How he started off so poorly is a mystery. He has been in the system for 3 years and has played in JV games. I guess JV games don't exactly prepare you for the big show. The new kicker has been great. Brown got really lucky to have such a kicker. I wonder why Brown didn't recruit him in the first place. In general the Brown punting was excellent and made a big difference in the outcome. And before I sign off, credit to Estes for having the team well prepared for Dartmouth. A really big win for Brown,they hadn't beaten D in three years.

[> [> Subject: Re: Yet another close Dartmouth loss

Author:
Amoney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:42:20 11/12/16 Sat

D has as much talent in uniform as anyone in the Ivy. I feel for the players, they're much better than their record. Is the point being lost? Coach T can make a case for all the stats; freshman receiver with big yardage; qb with 30+ completions but the only numbers that count are the ones on the scoreboard. It should be clear that putting the ball in the end zone is what wins games. The guys on both sides of the ball are playing their guts out trying to put lipstick on a pig! Rarely passing but running inside on 1st down; DBs giving away 7/8 yards to receivers on out routes; throwing 7/8 yard passes on critical 3rd downs of 12/15 yards; putting little pressure on qbs by blitzing more often. Except for an improved running game, this has been the D Script opponents game plan. Some folks will say it's 'Bend but don't break', others might refer to it as 'Chicken****.

[> [> Subject: Going to go out on a limb and guess that

Author:
Go Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:01 11/15/16 Tue

I'm going to guess that Jack Heneghan is the first guy in league history to amass 475 yards of total offense and not get offensive player of the week.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Going to go out on a limb and guess that

Author:
Big green supporter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:31:22 11/15/16 Tue

One of the many examples of this enigmatic season for the green!
Here is some food for thought:
Dartmouth is 10 points from a 7-2 record and being in the mix for the title this weekend.
They are also 6 points from being 2 and 7!
Statistically, one could argue that Dartmouth might have the best offense in the league.
Here are the conference and FCS national rankings respectively by category.
Passing offense 1 and 17 (2nd in conference not even close)
Total offense. 1 and 31
1st downs. 2 and 66
Sacks allowed. 1 and 25
Completion %. 5 and 43

But also,
PPG. 7 and 100
Red Zone %. 7 and 80
Time of possession. 8 and 105
Off. Interceptions. 5 and 99

Defense
YPG allowed. 4th in league
PPG allowed. 4th
Sacks 5th

This offense had the makings of a powerhouse. A drop here, fumble there, and too many mistakes and the current record is the result. The underlying downfall is probably inexperience just like many of us thought coming into the season.
It will be interesting to see if some of that offensive talent gets recognized at the end of the season honors.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.